Author Topic: Martin Tyler  (Read 19500 times)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: Martin Tyler
« Reply #120 on: August 5, 2022, 04:36:00 pm »
Is he doing the Palace game on sky next week? A banner directed his way would be welcome. Just something along the lines of 'Fuck off you old bastard' would do.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: August 5, 2022, 04:37:28 pm »
Tyler is a c*** aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's live.

Tyler is barely alive and he's a cnnnnnuuuutt
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 5, 2022, 04:44:19 pm »
Just another reason why this relic needs to leave football. It’s clear there is a deep rooted belief in him that feels our fans were responsible at Hillsborough, despite the tsunami of evidence saying otherwise.

Sooner he leaves football the better it will be.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 5, 2022, 04:45:47 pm »
Part of the old guard with Gibbon hands and Gray and they were binned for stupid comments.

Get rid.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #124 on: August 5, 2022, 04:56:10 pm »
Having just listened to it, I didn't think he was trying to conflate the two things. To my ear the "other" and "as well" sounded like a separator rather than a joiner. But I'm not a language expert.

The thing is I can hear it the other way too, and that's where the problem lies. Tyler is a professional and words are his livelihood. He should know better.

What I think we can all agree on is that whether he meant to or not, we as fans cannot allow ambiguity to be an excuse. We have to make sure that any and all media are left in no doubt that if we detect even the hint of misrepresentation, we'll come down on them with everything we've got.

This is where I'm at. But yeah for a commentator whose job is literally to talk, it's an horrific way of wording it and he's been rightly condemned.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #125 on: August 5, 2022, 05:04:01 pm »
I think if it was almost anyone else I’d err on the side of “misspoke” but, with him? Not a hope. As mentioned above there are so many examples of him ruining moments for us with his “death in the family” reaction to goals scored by us, add to the Martial reaction vs Benteke’s spectacular bicycle kick maybe being the most famous, I believe the mask has just finally slipped off this c*nt publicly.

I abhor cancel culture, I think everybody deserves a second chance but this isn’t a second chance for this prick, it’s constant. He needs binning or, at the very least should be banned from Anfield just like Sun journalists.

We’ll see what Carragher is made of now an all.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 5, 2022, 05:05:54 pm »

I can’t stand Martin Tyler and other c*nts.

No relation between the two I hasten to add.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #127 on: August 5, 2022, 05:21:59 pm »
Is he doing the Palace game on sky next week? A banner directed his way would be welcome. Just something along the lines of 'Fuck off you old bastard' would do.

Along with a nice round of "Fuck off Tyler" from the crowd.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 5, 2022, 05:23:10 pm »
He’s apologised which is good. And he says he didn’t intend to connect hooliganism and hillsbrough. I think it’s important we give people the benefit of the doubt on this sort of thing. I’m assuming he hasn’t made other remarks to this sort of effect in the past mind.

I listened to the clip and as far as I'm concerned, the way he says the words means he was attributing Hillsborough to hooliganism
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #129 on: August 5, 2022, 05:23:57 pm »
I can’t stand Martin Tyler and other c*nts.

No relation between the two I hasten to add.

;D

It's his fault if he misunderstands you and conflates the two.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #130 on: August 5, 2022, 05:27:59 pm »
I've never liked him and he knew exactly what he was saying.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #131 on: August 5, 2022, 05:29:19 pm »
You have to ask the question, why even bring it up? There's so many other things he could have said.

Just shows he doesn't give a fuck.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 5, 2022, 05:46:26 pm »
The fact the clip is still there for all to hear means his and the BBC apology mean fuck all.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: August 5, 2022, 05:50:34 pm »
Just played this for the wife and her initial reaction was she says he's referring to Hillsborough as hooliganism. The second listen, she was a bit less sure, but then, as she then says, he's said "and other hooligan related" so to her that means he sees Hillsborough as caused by the same.

As others have said, words are his craft and he's been commentating since the 1970's, he knows exactly what he meant. If he wanted to keep them apart, all he had to say was "we had the Hillsborough disaster, we were having Hooligan related issues"
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #134 on: August 5, 2022, 06:12:36 pm »
Surely those are the exact words people SHOULD feel outraged by? By using those words he's literally put Hillsborough in the same bracket as "hooligan-related issues".

The way he expressed it didn’t sound like he was trying to group the two to me. It was like Hillsborough and OTHER things like hooliganism as well, that’s how I took it. The issue is he didn’t add a separator into the sentence, like a ‘such as’ other hooliganism related issues.

I find him to be a drab twat who obviously isn’t keen on us, but don’t think he’s necessarily a bad person or stupid enough to suggest Hillsborough was caused by hooliganism, as he himself has been present and commentated on various monumental parts of the campaign. Maybe I’m giving him too much leeway but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he’s apologised pretty quickly, and he is a 76 year old senile fart.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 5, 2022, 06:20:46 pm »

At best he’s made a lazy unthinking association between the two which is precisely the reason why things like Paris happen.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 5, 2022, 06:37:41 pm »
As others have said he's a professional talker about football.It wasn't a misunderstanding.I'd be surprised if they get rid of him but he shouldn't get to commentate on any of our games ever again.Gobshite.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 5, 2022, 06:51:44 pm »
Showed his true colours again. A Snide fucker who licked arse to get to the top as a flagship commentator. He is an awful commentator

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 5, 2022, 06:56:43 pm »
He won't dare turn up at Anfield ever again.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 5, 2022, 06:57:45 pm »
Not only is he a c**t he is also poor at his job.

It is obvious for whatever reason he doesnt like us I dont know why as he claims to be a "Woking fan"

Imo he defo has a thing for Chelsea/Utd.

They got rid of the likes of Thommo/Nicholas as "yesterdays" men hr is much older but hangs on.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 5, 2022, 07:47:44 pm »
Everyone needs to take the time to submit a complaint. Lets face it if a member of the public makes offensive comments now at least they are investigated by the Police, its recognised as an extremely serious subject, This slice of shite Martin Tyler isn't above such action.

Tyler knows he wasn't conflating Hillsborough and hooliganism, he was associating them as the same thing.

I'm all for the club insisting he never commentates in Anfield again. Stand our ground and lets see what Sky want to do with that.

The man is a disgrace to broadcasting and I hope his family are ashamed of him.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 5, 2022, 07:53:10 pm »
I see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt and his shite apology only cements my view.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 5, 2022, 07:57:28 pm »
Part of the old guard with Gibbon hands and Gray and they were binned for stupid comments.

Get rid.

Yeah they should have swept the entire deck at the time.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 5, 2022, 08:01:15 pm »
The way he expressed it didn’t sound like he was trying to group the two to me. It was like Hillsborough and OTHER things like hooliganism as well, that’s how I took it. The issue is he didn’t add a separator into the sentence, like a ‘such as’ other hooliganism related issues.

I find him to be a drab twat who obviously isn’t keen on us, but don’t think he’s necessarily a bad person or stupid enough to suggest Hillsborough was caused by hooliganism, as he himself has been present and commentated on various monumental parts of the campaign. Maybe I’m giving him too much leeway but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he’s apologised pretty quickly, and he is a 76 year old senile fart.

Except he didn’t say “other things like” he said “Hillsborough and other hooligan related issues”

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #144 on: August 5, 2022, 08:09:56 pm »
I listened to the clip and as far as I'm concerned, the way he says the words means he was attributing Hillsborough to hooliganism
I commented earlier today after hearing about what he said. Since then, I've actually listened to the clip of him saying it and, to be honest, I think it sounds worse than I thought it would.

I winced when he said it. It does sound pretty awful. To be fair, I did hope that when I heard it I might have been able to see a different context which would allow me to give him the benefit of the doubt but, if anything, it sounds worse than I imagined it beforehand.

Whether he meant it or not, the way he words it does seem to link Hillsborough and hooliganism.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2022, 08:14:09 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #145 on: August 5, 2022, 08:11:20 pm »
Nice to see 'Carra' still cosying up to him in the comm box.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 5, 2022, 08:13:21 pm »
There is a way of saying it properly if you emphasise certain word/words over other. He didn't though.

Offline Johann Gambolputty

• Main Stander
  • We are the Anny,Anny road end.
« Reply #147 on: August 5, 2022, 08:13:24 pm »
Absolutely no excuse, saying sorry is not good enough anymore. Sky should sack him, if not the club should ban him from Anfield. How long are we going to put up with this shit.

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 5, 2022, 08:22:22 pm »
WTF is Carragher doing in the com box with that old twat? Disgraceful

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 5, 2022, 08:22:36 pm »
What he said can be taken either of two ways. At best it was carelessly phrased. At worst it's what he actually believes. And only he really knows what he meant.
At least the speed and ferocity with which he was called out and forced to apologise is an improvement on years past, when people were regularly saying things like this and getting away with it.

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 5, 2022, 08:29:45 pm »
Why hasn't he retired yet?

Matt Le Tiss (nut job), Thommo, Charlie Nicholas

Helen Chamberlain, and the bellends of Soccer AM

Chris Kamara

Richard Keys and Andy Gray

Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #151 on: August 5, 2022, 08:37:20 pm »
WTF is Carragher doing in the com box with that old twat? Disgraceful
Not really disgraceful.

There are a lot of things to get disgusted about with Hilsborough and related issues. This isn’t one. Tyler spoke in an awfully clumsy manner that was very irresponsible. But Carragher will likely have taken his apology in good faith - he’ll probably know Tyler well enough to accept it.

It’s a seriously bad piece of broadcasting and Today should have reacted far more quickly.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #152 on: August 5, 2022, 08:46:56 pm »
Not really disgraceful.

There are a lot of things to get disgusted about with Hilsborough and related issues. This isn’t one. Tyler spoke in an awfully clumsy manner that was very irresponsible. But Carragher will likely have taken his apology in good faith - he’ll probably know Tyler well enough to accept it.

It’s a seriously bad piece of broadcasting and Today should have reacted far more quickly.

Carragher has the platform to make a stand.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #153 on: August 5, 2022, 08:53:03 pm »
If Tyler is ever at Anfield commentating on a live game then I really hope the crowd make their feelings known towards him live on sky tv for all to hear.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #154 on: August 5, 2022, 08:55:18 pm »
Yep and has done so on various issues. If Tyler says he didn’t mean it then does Carragher refuse to believe the explanation?

I just don’t think Carragher needs bringing into this. I think there’s occasional peripheral stuff around Hillsborough that leads to the main issues becoming sidelined. Distractions like Carragher working on tonight’s game is emblematic of this problem.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #155 on: August 5, 2022, 08:56:05 pm »
The absolute state. I hope you're all under 15.

Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: August 5, 2022, 08:58:56 pm »
Yep and has done so on various issues. If Tyler says he didn’t mean it then does Carragher refuse to believe the explanation?

I just don’t think Carragher needs bringing into this. I think there’s occasional peripheral stuff around Hillsborough that leads to the main issues becoming sidelined. Distractions like Carragher working on tonight’s game is emblematic of this problem.

I think he should be brought into this. Carragher had the choice to say no and call out Tyler. Instead he's kept his mouth shut and towed the Sky line.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 5, 2022, 09:05:29 pm »
Neil Jones:

Understand Liverpool have invited both BBC News and Sky Sports to meet with representatives of the club re: Martin Tyler's Hillsborough comments.

The aim is to discuss the ongoing need for constant vigilance to ensure accurate commentary & narrative around the issue.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: August 5, 2022, 09:11:19 pm »
Carra would have to believe he meant it though, and he knows him quite well as he works with him. So I assume Carragher doesn't believe he meant it that way.

Personally, I'd be genuinely amazed if Tyler actually believes Hillsborough was caused by hooliganism. Given all the inquiries, the verdict, the public apology from the PM etc. and given how long Tyler has worked in the game, he's well enough informed about what happened.

So for him to believe that would require a deep personal dislike for Liverpool and the fans, and extraordinary levels of willful ignorance. And I can't honestly say I've ever got that impression from him, despite his less than enthusiastic commentary. So a clarification and apology is good enough for me, and I hope I'm not doing anyone who was affected by the tragedy a disservice by saying that.

Online Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #159 on: August 5, 2022, 09:11:54 pm »
I think he should be brought into this. Carragher had the choice to say no and call out Tyler. Instead he's kept his mouth shut and towed the Sky line.
We don’t know what’s taken place at Sky today. Carragher might’ve had a lot to say. But to do so in public isn’t an absolute requirement at this stage.