The Liverpool FC Forum > The History Board - 1892 to 1994

#SHANKLY100 Liverpool Legend's Part 2 - Ray Kennedy. Moments/Memories.

(1/7) > >>

Sarge:
Following on from Crosby Nicks Barnes thread.

Ray Kennedy:

Midfielder (1974 - 1982) 

Debut : 31st August 1974 v Chelsea (A) Football League Division One: Won 3-0 
1st team games: 392 
1st team goals: 72 

Honours with Liverpool:

First Division Championship 1975/76, 1976/77, 1978/79, 1979/80 & 1981/82, League cup 1981, European Cup 1977, 1978 & 1981, UEFA Cup 1976, Charity Shield 1976, 1977 (shared), 1979 & 1980, European Super Cup 1977 

In one of English football's greatest positional switches of all time, Kennedy became a driving force in the Liverpool teams who lifted a succession of trophies under Bob Paisley in the 1970's and 1980's.
He was signed for a then club record £180,000 from Arsenal on the day Bill Shankly resigned as manager in July 1974. Kennedy arrived as a bustling, burly centre forward who had won the League and FA Cup double at Highbury three years earlier.

He struggled to find a Liverpool place until new boss Paisley tracked down Kennedy's former teacher in the player's native Northumberland and discovered he had been a schoolboy midfielder. He promptly switched Kennedy to the left flank where he excelled, winning England recognition and acclaim throughout Europe for his vision and finishing ability.

Perhaps the most memorable of his 72 Liverpool goals came at Munich's Olympic Stadium in the 1981 European Cup semi final second leg. His late strike secured a 1-1 draw with Bayern and a place in the final. Kennedy joined Swansea in January 1982 and later played for Hartlepool but has been cruelly afflicted by Parkinson's Disease.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/past_players/players/kennedy2/

Sarge:

CHOPPER:
Ray was my hero as a kid, everyone would go for the obvious choices when having a knock about
Kenny, Keegan, Toshack, Souness, but Ray was mine
always wanted a number 5 on me shirt but never got it, you woz lucky to have a kit in them days though.
Watching him play was a joy, just seeing that blood red shirt with the big white 5 on
is still crystal clear in me memory to this day.

I also remember listening to an interview with Bob when he was asked
which of all the players did most clubs try to sign off him, the answer was Ray of course
and as Sarge pointed out he played up front for Arsenal and we played him left mid
what a ridiculous notion that is, signing a striker and then playing him on the wing...... :P

God bless ye Ray, you were and still are, a legend.

cheers Sarge, you've made an old Kopite very happy with them photo's.

Sarge:
My dad always speaks highly of him and Callo.

Sarge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvxut2vM3S0

Ray Kennedy - Legend.

4.00  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version