Author Topic: Welcome Marko Grujic  (Read 224191 times)

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
Re: Welcome Marko Grujic
« Reply #160 on: January 9, 2016, 12:55:39 am »
Some cracking goals from the lad on this Klopp interview about him :   :lickin

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WgR-s_b95iU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WgR-s_b95iU</a>
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #161 on: January 9, 2016, 01:06:11 am »
More goals and highlights :

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OubOLbnUz7g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OubOLbnUz7g</a>

and the obligatory insightful interview  ::)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r9H5cMWugCA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r9H5cMWugCA</a>
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #162 on: January 9, 2016, 01:56:46 am »
Just realized that the Serbian league has a playoff system of sorts, so the 25 point lead would effectively be cut to a 13 point lead (or whatever half the lead is after 30 games) once the championship round (involving a round robin betwen the top 8 teams) started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_Serbian_SuperLiga

You'd still think that Red Star have the league all but won, but with the structure of the league in mind it does make slightly more sense that Red Star want to keep him to guarantee them the 1st place position (and thus a place in the CL qualifiers).

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: January 9, 2016, 05:00:47 am »
Just realized that the Serbian league has a playoff system of sorts, so the 25 point lead would effectively be cut to a 13 point lead (or whatever half the lead is after 30 games) once the championship round (involving a round robin betwen the top 8 teams) started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_Serbian_SuperLiga

You'd still think that Red Star have the league all but won, but with the structure of the league in mind it does make slightly more sense that Red Star want to keep him to guarantee them the 1st place position (and thus a place in the CL qualifiers).
According to Wikipedia that playoff system was scrapped in 2007-08.

The SuperLiga began as a league with a playoff system in an attempt to boost ratings and improve competition. After the first season however, the SuperLiga changed its format. The 2007–08 season was the first to be played in a more traditional format. The league no longer divided into a play-off and play-out group midway through the campaign. Instead, the 12 teams began playing each other three times in a more conventional league format. After two seasons with that format the Football Association of Serbiadecided to add 4 teams to the SuperLiga. The2009–10 season will be the first with a 16 team league played in a conventional league format of one home and one away match rather than the previous 3 match encounters. This drops the match schedule from 33 rounds to 30.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_SuperLiga

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #164 on: January 9, 2016, 06:20:04 am »
According to Wikipedia that playoff system was scrapped in 2007-08.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_SuperLiga
The wikipedia article in your link appears to be outdated, hence why it says "The 2009–10 season will be the first with a 16 team league played in a conventional league format..."

The change to a 16 team "playoff" system occurred in 2014-15, as the article about the 2015-16 Serbian League I posted says.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #165 on: January 9, 2016, 08:31:28 am »
That explains alot then!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 9, 2016, 09:58:41 pm »
Vlastimir Stevanovic ‏@vlstastevanovic
Marko Grujic confirms that he had the option to stay at LFC in January. Klopp wanted him. Read the Echo tomorrow for more info! #LFC

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #167 on: January 9, 2016, 10:13:37 pm »
Vlastimir Stevanovic ‏@vlstastevanovic
Marko Grujic confirms that he had the option to stay at LFC in January. Klopp wanted him. Read the Echo tomorrow for more info! #LFC

So...........we might get a sneak peek........and it help us through this tough patch........win win win for Liverpool, Red Star and us fans really.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 9, 2016, 11:17:25 pm »
So...........we might get a sneak peek........and it help us through this tough patch........win win win for Liverpool, Red Star and us fans really.

I'm reading that as 'had' the option and didn't take it.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: January 9, 2016, 11:31:09 pm »
Same here. Guess he'd only been training any way. Has the Serbian league a winter break?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: January 9, 2016, 11:34:44 pm »

correct

Offline the BIG fella

• Kopite
  • What We Achieve in Life, Echoes in Eternity
    • The RUSH Band - Manchester Live Wedding and Corporate Band UK
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2016, 02:54:14 am »
Do you think its a good idea he went back?
To book bands and live music visit
http://www.bandtube.co.uk

Equally if you need an amazing band for any Wedding or Event
The RUSH Band
http://www.therushband.co.uk
Listen - https://soundcloud.com/therushband

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2016, 04:07:34 am »
So he loves pressure.

"... a cross from Smith...a lovely cushioned header for.."
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Online Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2016, 08:35:40 am »
Do you think its a good idea he went back?

Well from the interview it seemed he really wanted to win the league with them before joining us in the summer.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2016, 07:49:18 pm »
Nice article on the club site:

The man who guided Marko Grujic’s Serbia U20s side to World Cup glory in 2015 insists Liverpool’s new midfielder will fit in ‘perfectly’ at Anfield.

Veljko Paunovic managed the 19-year-old in various youth national sides over the years and led him to the crown of world champion in New Zealand last June.

Grujic became Jürgen Klopp's first Liverpool signing on Wednesday from Red Star Belgrade, where he's returned on loan until the end of the season.

And Paunovic - now manager of Chicago Fire in the MLS - reckons his former player has the necessary traits on and off-the-pitch in order to succeed at his new club.

“He's a wonderful kid,” the 38-year-old told Liverpoolfc.com. “His personality is very aligned with the values of Liverpool - a team with huge tradition all around the world.

“He knows very well how to adapt to that level and knows how he should behave in order to become a very successful Liverpool player.”

The coach remembers his first encounter with the youngster three years ago when he was, even then, fully aware of the talents Grujic possessed.

He recalls: “I said to him, 'I strongly believe you are going to become a senior national team player and we will help you with that.'

“The improvement we had in those three years was amazing. He has huge potential and huge talent. Everything depends on him and he has to take advantage of it.

“He wants to learn. He's always open minded, asking questions. As a coach he asks you questions and with those answers, he improves.

“He's very technical with great size. He's has great control in playing and working in a midfield. I think that he has the capacity to score goals and make assists too.

“He can keep the ball, turn and play the required pass or even carry the ball from box-to-box, I remember him doing that a lot.

“He will carry the ball, take on a couple of people and then finish. He's very offensive-minded.

“I think he's going to fit perfectly.”

Paunovic made the tough decision to leave Grujic out of the side for the final of the U20 World Cup against Brazil.

At the time, the Serbian was considerably younger than most of the other players in the tournament and had to accept his role as a squad player.

Even despite these blows, Paunovic insists the player dealt with the disappointment with the utmost professionalism, as he does with everything.

“He accepted it very well,” he added. “When Marko came to play for us at the World Cup, he didn't play for Red Star [that much].

“He was out on loan and had a secondary role in the first team at Red Star. He was fighting for a spot there but we knew him and we knew that he was a project.

“We knew that he was ready to be with us but this is going to his role [as a squad player]. He adapted to that very well. He's a great guy.

“His attitude at the training field is fantastic. He's always one of the best players in every session. He will do everything you ask.

“I didn't have any problem with him in those three years of working with him.”

The move to Liverpool shows the development the midfielder has made in recent years but his former mentor still believes he needs to keep grounded if he's to become an integral member of Klopp’s side in the future.

Asked whether he’ll be a success on Merseyside, Paunovic replied: “Yes, absolutely.”

Before adding: “The Serbian league is a developmental one which means that the players have potential but they still need to improve once they move to European leagues.

“He still has to keep that mentality of being hard working to improve his qualities because he can't stop now.”
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2016, 11:39:55 am »
What don't you agree with? It's a low risk signing?
So were Assaidi, Lambert, Yesil, Aspas, Borini, Alberto, Bogdan, Illori and co. It doesn't make him a good signing.

Our only hits on the 10 mil or less signings are Coutinho, Can and possibly Origi. 'Low risk signings' are the reason for all the dead wood in our club currently.

Hopefully Klopp will stop that trend as he has a history of nurturing young talent from his time at Dortmund.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2016, 11:50:31 am »
So were Assaidi, Lambert, Yesil, Aspas, Borini, Alberto, Bogdan, Illori and co. It doesn't make him a good signing.

Our only hits on the 10 mil or less signings are Coutinho, Can and possibly Origi. 'Low risk signings' are the reason for all the dead wood in our club currently.

Hopefully Klopp will stop that trend as he has a history of nurturing young talent from his time at Dortmund.

Only Ilori, Yesil, Borini and Alberto are comparable in terms of age, the rest were/are here to be squad players. Yesil have been massively affected by serious injuries, I still think he can have a decent enough career but obviously it's unlikely to be at Liverpool. Grujic by all accounts is a very talented player. All signings have an element of risk as it's all about circumstance and opportunity but I'd much rather we looked to players like Grujic than chuck money away on expensive midtable PL buys.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2016, 12:51:12 pm »
Marko on instagram 42 weeks ago:

^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2016, 12:53:39 pm »
Welcome Marko , more Serbians the merrier  :scarf

Offline lastbaron

• Kopite
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2016, 01:00:32 pm »
Welcome Marko , more Serbians the merrier  :scarf

Yeah, because both Milan Jovanovic and Markovic were successful acquisitions for us  :P

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2016, 01:01:30 pm »
Yeah, because both Milan Jovanovic and Markovic were successful acquisitions for us  :P
  ;D Third luck`s the charm  :P

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2016, 01:11:01 pm »

I would class them as 'low cost, high risk'. They cost less because they are less likely to be successful, and are therefore higher risk.

In theory, instead of paying £50m for an almost-guaranteed success, you pay c.£10m for 3 or 4 good players, one of whom is hopefully a success.

Offline lastbaron

• Kopite
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2016, 01:12:05 pm »
I still haven't written Markovic off, maybe Klopp can find a role for him, and i do have a good feeling about Grujic.

I see that Serbia produces defensive midfielders with good tactical awareness. Apart from the now well-known Matic, Luka Milivojevic is another excellent example of a player that does lots of work in the midfield and rarely puts a foot wrong. I hope Grujic is equally effective and brings something extra going forward.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2016, 01:56:34 pm »
"Klopp told me that my position will be something between Coutinho and Leiva."

"I could never have chosen a better coach than Klopp!"

"My heart almost stopped when I saw all the LFC players having lunch! I will remember that moment for the rest of my life!"

Grujic said that he thinks no one should wear Gerrard's number 8 out of respect! Only some legend or a superstar.

Grujic says that he doesn't think about previous Serbian players who didn't succeed at LFC. He is confident that he will be a success.

Grujic says that one of the reasons he didn't stay at #LFC in Jan is because he wanted to come 100% prepared!He will train hard for 6 months

"Klopp told me that he watches Serbian league."

"I talked to Lazar Markovic before joining and he told me what a big club Liverpool is! A lot of pressure and expectations."

"Lazar Markovic told me that the first 3-4 months are the most important. He told me good things about the club."

"I'm not afraid of pressure and expectations. I'm very confident that I can prove myself."

Klopp basically told Grujic, "Go back, fulfill your dreams and come back happy, motivated and prepared!"

From Serbian journo https://twitter.com/vlstastevanovic
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline NuncaCaminarásSolo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2016, 05:28:29 pm »
"As we all know, Red Star is in a bad financial situation," Grujic said.

"The players didn't receive any salaries since the summer. We only got some bonuses.

"But I know how difficult it is for youth coaches, the chef, and other people working for the club who haven't received one salary for a while now.

"This financial injection is not a small deal and it will help the club function better."

(http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/story/2784444/marko-grujic-jurgen-klopp-wanted-me-in-liverpool-squad-now)

This really is special to see, even if it does mean LFC are short a player. It's clear he loves Red Star and he genuinely cares about how he leaves and what position he leaves them in. It's very refreshing to see in this age.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2016, 03:47:22 pm »
Only Ilori, Yesil, Borini and Alberto are comparable in terms of age, the rest were/are here to be squad players. Yesil have been massively affected by serious injuries, I still think he can have a decent enough career but obviously it's unlikely to be at Liverpool. Grujic by all accounts is a very talented player. All signings have an element of risk as it's all about circumstance and opportunity but I'd much rather we looked to players like Grujic than chuck money away on expensive midtable PL buys.
I raise you Coates, Pacheco, N'Gog and Wilson. With Shelvey being the lone 'success'.

Henderson, Clyne, Mascherano and Enrique were all expensive mid table buys. We were at least able to get decent money back on Downing and Carroll (who was clearly a panic buy to replace Torres).

We've paid 15 million for Yesil, Illori and Alberto. They were signed within twelve months of each other. Yesil probably will never play for us because of his injury problems. Alberto started 9 games was deemed not good enough and loaned out. He's on our books but will probably never play for us again. Illori has played one game went off injured and probably doesn't have a future here. We'll be lucky to scrap back 3-5 million for these three. We lost 10-12 million on Downing and well lose a similar amount on those three. How is that better value for money? At least Downing started for us regularly. The others have done nothing despite costing the combined price of a first XI player. Clyne, Skrtel, Moreno, Mignolet, Sturridge and Milner all cost the price of those three( or less) and they're regular starters for us. That proves how these 'young players with potential signings' add up. We also have a low success rate with them especially if they aren't at big clubs like Inter or Chelsea.

Our best signings have been players that weren't good/consistent enough for the big clubs they were at: Can (Bayern sold to Bayer), Sturridge (Chelsea), Coutinho (Inter) and Sakho (PSG). Those are the type of signings we should be trying to replicate.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:50:30 pm by Gerrard#1 »
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2016, 04:54:46 pm »
I raise you Coates, Pacheco, N'Gog and Wilson. With Shelvey being the lone 'success'.

Henderson, Clyne, Mascherano and Enrique were all expensive mid table buys. We were at least able to get decent money back on Downing and Carroll (who was clearly a panic buy to replace Torres).

We've paid 15 million for Yesil, Illori and Alberto. They were signed within twelve months of each other. Yesil probably will never play for us because of his injury problems. Alberto started 9 games was deemed not good enough and loaned out. He's on our books but will probably never play for us again. Illori has played one game went off injured and probably doesn't have a future here. We'll be lucky to scrap back 3-5 million for these three. We lost 10-12 million on Downing and well lose a similar amount on those three. How is that better value for money? At least Downing started for us regularly. The others have done nothing despite costing the combined price of a first XI player. Clyne, Skrtel, Moreno, Mignolet, Sturridge and Milner all cost the price of those three( or less) and they're regular starters for us. That proves how these 'young players with potential signings' add up. We also have a low success rate with them especially if they aren't at big clubs like Inter or Chelsea.

Our best signings have been players that weren't good/consistent enough for the big clubs they were at: Can (Bayern sold to Bayer), Sturridge (Chelsea), Coutinho (Inter) and Sakho (PSG). Those are the type of signings we should be trying to replicate.
Sporting's official statement (quoted below) said that the "global value" of the deal for Ilori was  €7.5m, and that they would receive 25% of any future profit (i.e. 25% of any profit beyond €7.5m). On the day we signed him (2/9/13) the Euro to pound rate was 1.17, so that means the "global value" was £6.4m.

The term "global value" seems to imply that there was certain add-ons in the deal which is hard to identify exactly, but I'd guess that his actual fee was only around £4m + add-ons up to £6.4m if he reached the targets. Whatever the add-ons were it seems unlikely that he's reached any of them as he's only played once for us competitively. The fact that Villa were happy to include an option of £7m at the end of his loan suggests that his value isn't completely written off either, despite how his loan has gone subsequently.

This is from a newspaper but has a direct quote from the official statement, which can be found in various other articles as well.
http://www.publico.pt/desporto/noticia/liverpool-paga-75-milhoes-ao-sporting-por-tiago-ilori-1604634

“A Sporting Clube de Portugal - Futebol, SAD informa ter chegado a acordo com o Liverpool Football Club para a transferência do jogador Tiago Ilori, num negócio de valor global de €7.500.000,00 (sete milhões e quinhentos mil euros). Mais se informa que esta sociedade manterá na sua titularidade 25% da mais valia numa futura transferência do Tiago Ilori”, diz o comunicado publicado na manhã desta segunda-feira.
As for Yesil, we paid only £1m for him and could at least make that back (or close to it) if he has one decent season anywhere. That was a smart signing given how he was performing for Germany's youth teams and how highly rated he was. Unlucky with injuries really otherwise he could possibly have been a steal. Very low risk, high reward.

Luis Alberto was signed for £5.6m according to transfermarkt, and given the way he's performing at Deportivo I'd say there's a good chance that the club will get most of that money back. He's contracted until 2018 so his value should still be good.

So, to pick your arguments apart:
- the total outlay was not £15m, but more likely to be around £11m (£1m + £4m + £5.6m).
- we won't be "lucky" to earn £3-5m on these 3 at all. In fact I wouldn't surprise me to see us get that for Luis Alberto alone. Ilori still has decent value left too based on his u21 showing.
- We won't lose £10-12m on these 3 because that would constitute losing them all for free given that we only paid £11m for them. If we take a very pessimistic view we might lose up to £6m, earning £5m for the 3 of them, for example. It's likely that the club can sell them for more than £5m though.
- Your arguments don't "prove" that these signings are pointless at all. If you want to start that argument please feel free to include similar signings like Coutinho £8m, Can £8m, Origi £9.8m, and Gomez £3.5m (among others) that would help provide a holistic view. One could argue that Coutinho or Gomez's successes alone have each more than offset any losses on any others for instance. We even made a profit on Assaidi for instance. Aspas was a cheap backup who we made our money back on - no harm done (well, apart from a dodgy corner ;D)

Taking this back on topic, signing Grujic for £4.4m is a really good piece of business. Either he becomes a great player for us, or he can be sold to any number of clubs in Europe whereby we recoup most of the fee. Low risk, high reward.

This area of our transfer business is very far from being our problem so I find it surprising that people criticize this policy so often. If you want to criticize the transfer business then criticize the expensive overpriced signings who we sell later for much lower than what we bought them for, because THAT is where the damage is being done, and not with the low risk, high reward Luis Alberto/Ilori/Gomez/Yesil//etc type signings.

Going back to the start of your post, you said that "We were at least able to get decent money back on Downing and Carroll", as if losing £10-12m on Downing and £20m on Carroll was a minor problem, before throwing out false statements about the less damaging signings which have very little downside by comparison. With this in mind I kindly suggest that you get your facts and priorities straight! :D

Offline Gerrard#1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2016, 11:49:09 pm »
Sporting's official statement (quoted below) said that the "global value" of the deal for Ilori was  €7.5m, and that they would receive 25% of any future profit (i.e. 25% of any profit beyond €7.5m). On the day we signed him (2/9/13) the Euro to pound rate was 1.17, so that means the "global value" was £6.4m.

The term "global value" seems to imply that there was certain add-ons in the deal which is hard to identify exactly, but I'd guess that his actual fee was only around £4m + add-ons up to £6.4m if he reached the targets. Whatever the add-ons were it seems unlikely that he's reached any of them as he's only played once for us competitively. The fact that Villa were happy to include an option of £7m at the end of his loan suggests that his value isn't completely written off either, despite how his loan has gone subsequently.

This is from a newspaper but has a direct quote from the official statement, which can be found in various other articles as well. As for Yesil, we paid only £1m for him and could at least make that back (or close to it) if he has one decent season anywhere. That was a smart signing given how he was performing for Germany's youth teams and how highly rated he was. Unlucky with injuries really otherwise he could possibly have been a steal. Very low risk, high reward.

Luis Alberto was signed for £5.6m according to transfermarkt, and given the way he's performing at Deportivo I'd say there's a good chance that the club will get most of that money back. He's contracted until 2018 so his value should still be good.
Alright fair enough http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/Default.aspx isn't entirely accurate with its transfer fees.

So, to pick your arguments apart:
- the total outlay was not £15m, but more likely to be around £11m (£1m + £4m + £5.6m). (See above)
- we won't be "lucky" to earn £3-5m on these 3 at all. In fact I wouldn't surprise me to see us get that for Luis Alberto alone. Ilori still has decent value left too based on his u21 showing. (Maybe, maybe not. Illori is injury prone and Spanish clubs don't have the spending power of PL clubs)
- We won't lose £10-12m on these 3 because that would constitute losing them all for free given that we only paid £11m for them. If we take a very pessimistic view we might lose up to £6m, earning £5m for the 3 of them, for example. It's likely that the club can sell them for more than £5m though.
- Your arguments don't "prove" that these signings are pointless at all. If you want to start that argument please feel free to include similar signings like Coutinho £8m, Can £8m, Origi £9.8m, and Gomez £3.5m (among others) that would help provide a holistic view. One could argue that Coutinho or Gomez's successes alone have each more than offset any losses on any others for instance. We even made a profit on Assaidi for instance. Aspas was a cheap backup who we made our money back on - no harm done (well, apart from a dodgy corner ;D) Coutinho and Can were already established at other top clubs. I mentioned this and due to that they were able to slot straight into the first team. Red Star aren't a top club in Europe so Grujic does not have their experience. It is also way too early to label Origi or Gomez a success or failure yet which is why I left them out. Aren't you also leaving out their wages? They're on our books the entire time so even if we do break even on their fees they're still costing the club millions in wages to play elsewhere. The yearly wages of our loanees must be a couple million (excluding Balotelli) so that is 8-10 million over 3 years.

Taking this back on topic, signing Grujic for £4.4m is a really good piece of business. Either he becomes a great player for us, or he can be sold to any number of clubs in Europe whereby we recoup most of the fee. Low risk, high reward.

This area of our transfer business is very far from being our problem so I find it surprising that people criticize this policy so often. If you want to criticize the transfer business then criticize the expensive overpriced signings who we sell later for much lower than what we bought them for, because THAT is where the damage is being done, and not with the low risk, high reward Luis Alberto/Ilori/Gomez/Yesil//etc type signings.

Going back to the start of your post, you said that "We were at least able to get decent money back on Downing and Carroll", as if losing £10-12m on Downing and £20m on Carroll was a minor problem, before throwing out false statements about the less damaging signings which have very little downside by comparison. With this in mind I kindly suggest that you get your facts and priorities straight! :D

How do all these signings translate to on the pitch? Are we signing these players as investments to sell for a profit? because they're spending most of their time at other clubs on our books. We at least won a cup with Carroll and Downing. Our current captain was an expensive mid table buy. Our star Striker was an expensive buy from this league. Our best defender was an expensive buy from a top club. Clyne was an expensive mid table buy. Mascherano was an expensive buy. Enrique and Johnson were expensive buys.

How is breaking even on fringe first team players a good business model? Even if we do find a gem why are we selling Origi, Can and Coutinho? Surely they should slot into the starting XI and play for us for years. If we sell them for profit we're just repeating this ineffective transfer model. Arsenal followed a similar model and went trophyless for almost a decade.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:09 am »
(http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/story/2784444/marko-grujic-jurgen-klopp-wanted-me-in-liverpool-squad-now)

This really is special to see, even if it does mean LFC are short a player. It's clear he loves Red Star and he genuinely cares about how he leaves and what position he leaves them in. It's very refreshing to see in this age.

Totally agree, isn't this the type of football dedication we want for our club? If he wins it with Red Star he'll be hungry for even more success when he comes here. Maybe a short term challenge but its a long term gain for us, hopefully.

Power to the fella  :D

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2016, 06:29:26 pm »
21st win in a row in the league for Grujic today  :D , after just beating Partizan their biggest rival 2-1.

Having played as CM in 4231 the entire first part of the season he is now being tested in no.10 position which will be really good for his development. I watched him closely today as this derby is one of the rare games on the calendar that`s actually competitive for his team. He wasn`t heavily involved today but still showed in flashes there`s something special about him. FWIW playing for a big club and making winning a habit will bode well him adjusting to another club that demands to win as well.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2016, 06:39:34 pm »
Klopp has told him that he wants him to play as a box to box midfielder...

So I guess playing as a number 10 will help him develop part of that..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2016, 07:49:11 pm »
21st win in a row in the league for Grujic today  :D , after just beating Partizan their biggest rival 2-1.

Having played as CM in 4231 the entire first part of the season he is now being tested in no.10 position which will be really good for his development. I watched him closely today as this derby is one of the rare games on the calendar that`s actually competitive for his team. He wasn`t heavily involved today but still showed in flashes there`s something special about him. FWIW playing for a big club and making winning a habit will bode well him adjusting to another club that demands to win as well.

God help him if he expects anywhere near that sort of win rate next year.  :P

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2016, 03:07:16 pm »
I think we really have signed a future star here no ifs no buts, the lad has a lot to his armour. Some of his shots from distance bang on target, is something the teams hasn't got from midfield. May take a while to settle and mature a bit, but under the guidance of Klopp Im confident for the lad.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2016, 03:59:13 pm »
I think we really have signed a future star here no ifs no buts, the lad has a lot to his armour. Some of his shots from distance bang on target, is something the teams hasn't got from midfield. May take a while to settle and mature a bit, but under the guidance of Klopp Im confident for the lad.
So a Serbian Michael Ballack it is then or a Serbian Stevie.

Yes please!!!
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2016, 10:46:43 pm »

I think its key we keep the pressure off him. I wouldnt be surprised if he barely features. He is young and playing in the Serbian league. Too much of an ask to believe he will be a key player straight away.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2016, 11:29:23 pm »
I think its key we keep the pressure off him. I wouldnt be surprised if he barely features. He is young and playing in the Serbian league. Too much of an ask to believe he will be a key player straight away.
Pocchettino says no.  :D

Still grates me how we never signed Dele Alli,he was 99% ours and somehow lost him to Spurs.

Regarding Grujic he's been speaking in the local media how Klopp will have a role for him in the team,i think Klopp will be brave enough like Pocchettino was with dele Alli to play him straight away.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:36:05 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #196 on: February 29, 2016, 05:20:52 am »

Still grates me how we never signed Dele Alli,he was 99% ours and somehow lost him to Spurs.

Regarding Grujic he's been speaking in the local media how Klopp will have a role for him in the team,i think Klopp will be brave enough like Pocchettino was with dele Alli to play him straight away.

Any idea how we lost out on Dele Alli?.

Be interesting to see who loses out when Klopp plays Grujic next season. 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 29, 2016, 08:19:54 am »

Alli knew the intensity of the English leagues and knows how to play against PL sides as he has done so. Like Gomez its easier to adapt when you come from lower divisions.

I will be amazed if Grujic gets a start in the league next season. Its just such a tough ask.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #198 on: February 29, 2016, 08:23:12 am »
So, what will the first comments be when a young, inexperienced but talented young player struggles for the first time in the league (ref: Can)?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 29, 2016, 08:25:38 am »
So, what will the first comments be when a young, inexperienced but talented young player struggles for the first time in the league (ref: Can)?

Cannot even compare Can and Grujic. Can played for a Leverkusen side in a good league in Germany. Grujic is playing in Serbia. Both would have different expectations.