Author Topic: CL SF: Liverpool 4 vs Barçelona 0 (4-3) Origi 6', 79’, Gini 53', 56 Bloody hell.  (Read 265831 times)

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
I wonder if any of the younger fans 'get' the radio coverage? I spent my pre-teen years avidly listening to matches on the radio, before progressing on to 'watching' the scores come through on ceefax/Teletext. The joys of hearing a goal go in on radio (I loved the Dalglish equaliser in stoppage time v Arsenal in our mammoth FA cup replays), the joys of seeing a goal flash up on Teletext. The agony of having to sit and wait through 3 pages of scores (alphabetical) and if the TV signal wasn't good, you might even have missed your page! Great innocent times.

Listening to a crackly reception to Elton Welsby’s matter of fact announcement that Tosh had just scored at Barca before going off to describe our shorts or something, leaving us to work our if we really had scored. 😀
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I wonder if any of the younger fans 'get' the radio coverage? I spent my pre-teen years avidly listening to matches on the radio, before progressing on to 'watching' the scores come through on ceefax/Teletext. The joys of hearing a goal go in on radio (I loved the Dalglish equaliser in stoppage time v Arsenal in our mammoth FA cup replays), the joys of seeing a goal flash up on Teletext. The agony of having to sit and wait through 3 pages of scores (alphabetical) and if the TV signal wasn't good, you might even have missed your page! Great innocent times.

Listening to games on the radio was so tense! Trying to picture scenes in your mind and then waiting on crowd noise to tell you what’s happened a split second before the commentators did. Was brilliant.

And yes, think you could probably devote an entire thread to favourite Ceefax moments. :D

On a similar note, I ‘saw’ our golden goal winner in Dortmund via text commentary in an Internet cafe in Christchurch, NZ. That wasn’t so good!

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Amazing to look back on now we’ve won the final

Given the context it’s the greatest performance and result in the history of the club.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf

I remember listening to the Liverpool-Cologne CWC tie in Rotterdam in 1965. Just imagine the radio drama of a coin toss on a crackling transistor radio.

One of the under rated great European nights (by the way, we must have signed the Satanic pact before then otherwise how would we have gotten through).

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house

Given the context it’s the greatest performance and result in the history of the club.
Yes. I can't remember feeling that way just after the match before. It was almost beyond elation. In the future, when bad moments cloud my mind, I will reflect on that sensation to cheer myself up.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...

It definitely adds to it, we've had numerous great European nights over the past few years but just lost out in the finals to Seville and Read Madrid so to go all the way and win it this year makes it mean even more.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I remember listening to the Liverpool-Cologne CWC tie in Rotterdam in 1965. Just imagine the radio drama of a coin toss on a crackling transistor radio.

One of the under rated great European nights (by the way, we must have signed the Satanic pact before then otherwise how would we have gotten through).
The conspiracy theories would be off the scale.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
I've heard others [non Liverpool supporters of course] complain about us booing players in possession, that it's a c*nt thing to do.

No wonder their support is shit in comparison.

The amount of people who come out with that line is fucking ridiculous. 'Disrespectful' apparently. They genuinely think it is about an active disrespect or hate or their team, rather then trying everything possible to give us the advantage. Which is why they won't ever be experiencing these kinds of nights.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Its the night where every man and his dog realized we are among the best teams in the world. When we beat the champions of Spain with the best player in the world  :)
Divock is good, but it's going a little too far  ::)

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
I'm 23. Absolutely love the radio.

Didn't have Sky (or online access to ;D) until I was 18. Used to sit, huddled up, rocking myself into a quiet frenzy as Liverpool played. Still remember Alan Green's commentary of Torres destroying Vidic time after time back in '08 (I think). Think it was the last game I listened to at my nan's before she died.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
Spine tingling listening to that 5 Live coverage.
JFT97

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Spine tingling reading the Bitters comments during the match now, having won this match and Big Ole ears, oh its glorious :D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Spine tingling reading the Bitters comments during the match now, having won this match and Big Ole ears, oh its glorious :D

Oohh, screenshots to the appropriate thread please! :D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite

Ha yep, i remember watching the scores come through on Ceefax/Teletext many a time mostly midweek matches as i was  quite often out & about on Saturdays, i didn't listen to the radio much though. In those days radio commentary for midweek matches started 8pm, even though matches kicked off 7.30pm, also if Liverpool & Everton were playing at the same time, Radio Merseyside would only have full match commentary from who was away ^ reports from the other match, unless it was an all ticket sell out like Liverpool v Man Utd.
#Sausages

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
Oohh, screenshots to the appropriate thread please! :D
Let's not sully this glorious thread with that, shall we?

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Let's not sully this glorious thread with that, shall we?

Read his post again.

Offline Juanyboy

• Kopite
  • Enjoying the sun, missing the football
Goosebumps and almost in tears again listening to that. Never to be forgotten.

Same....bloody hell

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
This was such a weird evening for me... few days before I'd matched with a girl on a dating site who turned out to be a red and we spent the evening messaging each other about the unfolding drama (having already vaguely arranged a date for the following weekend). Drunkenly messaging each other into the night about how amazing the result was etc...

Next day she tells me she doesn't want to meet anymore as she didn't feel there was a connection between us!

Still, I'll admit I got over it about 3 weeks later.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
This was such a weird evening for me... few days before I'd matched with a girl on a dating site who turned out to be a red and we spent the evening messaging each other about the unfolding drama (having already vaguely arranged a date for the following weekend). Drunkenly messaging each other into the night about how amazing the result was etc...

Next day she tells me she doesn't want to meet anymore as she didn't feel there was a connection between us!

Still, I'll admit I got over it about 3 weeks later.

I would have a serious look at my vocabulary during the night in your case. You might learn something.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?

It all seems so far away now, but it was the norm to be huddled around a radio listening to games you couldn't get to. I remember listening to Liverpool clinch the title at Wolves in 1976 on a radio with a mate in his parents' shed. I jumped so high when we got the third that I punched the ceiling. Happy memories.  :)

It's also great seeing this thread continually active. Not surprising though. Even now I'm not sure I've quite grasped just how epic this performance was. I think a lot of other fans feel the same too.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Closest is probably soccer Saturday

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

There was something exciting about listening to games on the radio. I listened to Radio City commentary and the game playing out in my head with only commentary and crowd noise was a buzz.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I am still enjoying the victory...
Believer

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.

Yep Kenny's last gasp equaliser against Arsenal was exhilarating. I also have vivid memories  of the Wolves match in 76, of Fairclough's  winner against St Ettiene and the Barnes equaliser against Watford (or was it Luton, maybe not so vivid in this case!)in the cup semi final in 86. Peter Jones and Alan Parry were a constant part of my life back in those days.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
It's also great seeing this thread continually active. Not surprising though. Even now I'm not sure I've quite grasped just how epic this performance was. I think a lot of other fans feel the same too.

It's a classic already. Very few teams beat Barca with Messi & Co. They're a great side and 4-0 is an outstanding result. TAA's corner for the 4th is pure gold.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL SF: Liverpool 4 vs Barçelona 0 (4-3) Origi 6', 79’, Gini 53', 56
« Reply #2625 on: June 13, 2019, 10:01:09 am »
Forgot about that!
 Robertson off at HT too.

Deliberate, snide and shithouse from Suarez, definitely wanted to injure him. I was disappointed with the approach of the Barca players in terms of play acting, time wasting and calling for players to be booked - and that includes Messi. They've gone down in my estimation and I'm glad we put the cheats out.   

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/G7pOzIpx6js" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/G7pOzIpx6js</a>
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's a classic already. Very few teams beat Barca with Messi & Co. They're a great side and 4-0 is an outstanding result. TAA's corner for the 4th is pure gold.

Nobody is going to want to play us in Europe next season and we should fear no team.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Deliberate, snide and shithouse from Suarez, definitely wanted to injure him. I was disappointed with the approach of the Barca players in terms of play acting, time wasting and calling for players to be booked - and that includes Messi. They've gone down in my estimation and I'm glad we put the cheats out.   

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/G7pOzIpx6js" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/G7pOzIpx6js</a>

Pssst... who's arsed about that now?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
Does winning it mean we will be in pot 1.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Pssst... who's arsed about that now?

Exactly! Let's keep this thread solely on us!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Does winning it mean we will be in pot 1.

Yes, it does.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Skrtelonparole

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Goosebumps and almost in tears again listening to that. Never to be forgotten.

In bits listening to that again.. kinell...

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
What does Trent shout after the corner kick he takes?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tZnvi8huvk0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tZnvi8huvk0</a>
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Deliberate, snide and shithouse from Suarez, definitely wanted to injure him.

It's world class level shit-housery from Suarez. But when he did it for us it was a massive asset. I remember after Madrid last year saying that Suarez is exactly the type of c*nt that we needed in the team for games like that. Ramos might have thought twice about fucking up Salah if he knew that he himself would get fucked up by Suarez.

I think we have now solved that issue of lacking the nastiness. It's like everyone in the team has just stepped up the level of grit required to deal with shit-house teams. Fabinho is a massive asset putting in bone crunching tackles, Henderson could make a brick wall wince in pain,  seeing Robo niggle Messi, Milner the dead leg expert....we won't be fucked with.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL SF: Liverpool 4 vs Barçelona 0 (4-3) Origi 6', 79’, Gini 53', 56
« Reply #2635 on: June 13, 2019, 12:45:46 pm »

I always thought that the commentaries from the games on the continent had a different vibe to them on both TV and radio. The commentaries always sounded distant, echoey and of poor quality - I think, and I may be wrong, but the commentators used to use telephone lines. In those days I bet the cost of trunk calls accounted for a large part of the budget of the broadcasters! If you listen to the commentary below, I mean this one's a classic, but you can tell the commentator is in some far away distant land - it's so atmospheric (literally) and you knew Liverpool were playing in yet another important European tie on foreign shores. You wouldn't even know where half of these places were, and hearing names such as CSKA Sofia, Anderlecht would immediately trigger your imagination about these places - how far away are they, what are the people like, I wonder what it must be like to live there? It was probably the closest that I got to going abroad as a kid.   

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/WqTF5NDD5qM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/WqTF5NDD5qM</a>

I used to spend a lot of time at my nan's in Kirkby when I was a kid and she was Liverpool FC mad, on a Saturday afternoon whenever there was a Liverpool match on she'd have the commentary on from Radio City. My grandad would be in the living room watching wrestling and the gee-gee's on World of Sport and I'd be in the kitchen with my nan listening to the match. One of the things that sticks in my mind is the jingle, who knows how many times I've heard this:-     

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/BJWRRv3vRFI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/BJWRRv3vRFI</a>
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:20:30 pm by Yosser0_0 »
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
What does Trent shout after the corner kick he takes?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tZnvi8huvk0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tZnvi8huvk0</a>

I count 10 Barca players there.  Six, including the keeper, weren't even looking towards the corner flag when Trent puts the ball in.  Of the four who at least had eyes pointing roughly in the right direction, only one was close enough to have even a chance of doing anything.  They were like traffic cones.

Popcorn's Art

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
I count 10 Barca players there.  Six, including the keeper, weren't even looking towards the corner flag when Trent puts the ball in.  Of the four who at least had eyes pointing roughly in the right direction, only one was close enough to have even a chance of doing anything.  They were like traffic cones.

Trent shouted all that?  :o
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
It's world class level shit-housery from Suarez. But when he did it for us it was a massive asset. I remember after Madrid last year saying that Suarez is exactly the type of c*nt that we needed in the team for games like that. Ramos might have thought twice about fucking up Salah if he knew that he himself would get fucked up by Suarez.

I think we have now solved that issue of lacking the nastiness. It's like everyone in the team has just stepped up the level of grit required to deal with shit-house teams. Fabinho is a massive asset putting in bone crunching tackles, Henderson could make a brick wall wince in pain,  seeing Robo niggle Messi, Milner the dead leg expert....we won't be fucked with.

Don't think Suarez ever tried to deliberately injure an opposition player when he was with us?  (Biting doesn't count! ;D )  Seems to be a far lower bar for Spanish clubs when it comes to being unsporting shitehouses.

Now we Fabinho, between him and Henderson I think we've got what we need to deal with tactics like those.  If another player tries to "do a Ramos" on one of ours I hope to see him off on a stretcher.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Trent shouted all that?  :o

Scousers talk fast. ;D

Popcorn's Art