Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 805613 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #6280 on: January 22, 2023, 04:26:56 pm »
Gah, I feel like we might be going round in circles with this. Like I said in my first post - I think he's an excellent player and our best midfielder. For the attributes that that graph measures he is elite.

So that is all great but doesn't mean he is beyond criticism for other areas of his game. My opinion is that there are times that he could make better decisions in terms of when to progress the ball vs when to let the rest of the team settle down and that there are times (not often but enough to be noticeable to me) where he gets a bit casual and gets caught out. Obviously no player is perfect but for me it is frustrating that a player of that talent and experience, in a team that is currently so brittle in terms of confidence, is making those kinds of decisions that put pressure back on us and releases the pressure we might be building on an opposition. The problem is that it is very hard to find a stat for that - apart from the one that says that he has played most of our league games in a season where we are lying 9th.
Re: stats. It's Alisson's fault, he played in every game this season and we are 10th.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6281 on: January 22, 2023, 04:30:20 pm »
Hmmm, so does that apply to everyone in the squad/team?

Of course! Plenty of the squad has performed worse than him this season. But this thread is not about them.

I'd suggest that when you look at our squad/first team there are plenty of areas for improvement but no gaping holes in terms of experience/quality. For me the problem this season has been that the team as a whole has been brittle and disjointed. If we both agree that Thiago is probably our best/most important/most experienced at the highest level CM then surely it is a valid question to ask whether he could be doing something more/different to help the team play as a cohesive unit? I guess one way of putting it is that I'd be happier seeing him in the middleish of that graph but the rest of the team doing better than him smashing the individual stats in a team that is struggling.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6282 on: January 29, 2023, 09:32:59 am »
The man is playing the piano whilst carrying it.. immense player.

https://twitter.com/lfctransferroom/status/1619301529386885121?s=61&t=Fol236Ooud4VAUpGZfjtXA

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #6283 on: January 29, 2023, 03:04:30 pm »
Another poor passing display today.

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #6284 on: January 29, 2023, 03:27:03 pm »
In the running for our worst player today.  Lost track of how many unforced turnovers he had and struggling to remember any of his clever passes that reached one of our players. 

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #6285 on: January 29, 2023, 03:27:51 pm »
In the running for our worst player today.  Lost track of how many unforced turnovers he had and struggling to remember any of his clever passes that reached one of our players. 

Yep everything was in either opposite direction or behind people
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Online Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #6286 on: January 29, 2023, 03:28:33 pm »
He’s been dragged down to the shite level of those around him.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6287 on: January 29, 2023, 03:30:28 pm »
He's played every game since the World Cup, looks like he needs a break but unfortunately we just haven't had an alternative.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6288 on: January 30, 2023, 02:05:10 pm »
He's played every game since the World Cup, looks like he needs a break but unfortunately we just haven't had an alternative.
absolutely.  he's been doing great work recently, not surprising he's running out of gas.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6289 on: February 3, 2023, 11:53:19 pm »
What that graph also tells me is if we put players like Caicedo and Rice next to him we'd be back to somewhere close to our best under Klopp

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #6290 on: February 4, 2023, 01:01:18 am »
I love watching Thiago, we do not know how lucky we are to have him, he (like Litmanen and Alonso was) is a level above what surrounds him but occasionally (less often than not) takes risks that do not come off.

We will not appreciate him till he's gone, unfortunately, because the team is playing poorly, he's not getting the credit he deserves. The fact he has remained fit this year is a rare plus.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #6291 on: February 4, 2023, 02:16:19 am »
Hope we dont run him into the ground. Been our best CM by a mile (Bacjectic with honorable mention). Shouldnt have to be the one running around tackling passing harassing.Very lucky to have him and quite lucky he has been injury free so far.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #6292 on: February 4, 2023, 09:30:58 am »
I love watching Thiago, we do not know how lucky we are to have him, he (like Litmanen and Alonso was) is a level above what surrounds him but occasionally (less often than not) takes risks that do not come off.

We will not appreciate him till he's gone, unfortunately, because the team is playing poorly, he's not getting the credit he deserves. The fact he has remained fit this year is a rare plus.

every team needs a creative talented midfielder - they think outside the box (no pun intended) and see things that a 'pass and move' player would not

in midfield you should have work-horses ball-winners leaders and creatives - that's usually a winning formula
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6293 on: February 4, 2023, 07:25:55 pm »
Seemingly getting by under the radar but what on earth was he doing for their 3rd goal? He half gets back then just stops and allows the runner free passage through to our goal

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #6294 on: February 4, 2023, 11:53:01 pm »
Starting to show his age in a athletic league where having legs in midfield is as important as the football brain.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6295 on: February 5, 2023, 01:07:11 am »
Starting to show his age in a athletic league where having legs in midfield is as important as the football brain.

The team at the top of the league have a midfielder in Xhaka who isn’t any faster or mobile or athletic than Thiago, the team 2nd in the league have Rodri who while probably physically stronger is even slower than Thiago and again far from the most mobile, should I go on? He is not the problem.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #6296 on: February 5, 2023, 01:12:14 am »
This lad is the least of our problems.

"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #6297 on: March 8, 2023, 08:26:47 am »
Are his days numbered? Unbeaten since he's been out. Need legs in the midfield, he doesn't have them. Is next season his last?

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6298 on: March 8, 2023, 08:35:00 am »
Are his days numbered? Unbeaten since he's been out. Need legs in the midfield, he doesn't have them. Is next season his last?

Still had the best stats for the club (if not one of the best in the Premier League). With better players, he'd be even better than he is now

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6299 on: March 8, 2023, 09:05:29 am »
Diaz off too I reckon based on that.

Didn't realise he played against Madrid.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2023, 09:10:52 am by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6300 on: March 8, 2023, 09:06:43 am »

Everyone’s days are numbered … only a matter of time before we all return to stardust

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #6301 on: March 8, 2023, 10:11:39 am »
It's just a question of balance. With Fab performing Thiago will look much better. Look how Harvey looked at the weekend with both Henderson and Fab performing well. Harvey had also been written off by many on here.

Wolves, Thiago had Bajcetic and an awful Keita.

Brighton he had Fab and Henderson.

Brentford he had an underperforming Fab and Harvey.

I'd also add, our pressing from the front 3 is also much improved.
You try me once you beg for more.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6302 on: March 8, 2023, 10:42:41 am »

On the contrary, if we can get him back fit with 2 other functional midfielders and a forward line which seems to be coming together a bit, we'll probably walk top 4. He definitely had a rough game or two before getting injured but statistically he's been very good all season. The only one doing defensive work quite a lot of the time, and also progressing the ball effectively.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6303 on: March 15, 2023, 10:25:20 pm »
We missed his ability to play through pressure in both legs.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6304 on: March 15, 2023, 10:28:18 pm »

Yet some people would say his the problem, complete jokers,  players that great on the ball are always invaluable at the top level as we saw today.

Offline KloppCorn

• Kopite
« Reply #6305 on: March 15, 2023, 10:29:00 pm »
We play better with out him apparently

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #6306 on: March 15, 2023, 10:30:17 pm »
To be fair it's not like he was the one player missing, we played with 2 midfielders and one is a 37 year old backup.
:D

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6307 on: March 15, 2023, 10:31:47 pm »
To be fair it's not like he was the one player missing, we played with 2 midfielders and one is a 37 year old backup.
He was a big miss though. Our turnovers cost us in the first leg and we were safe in the second to avoid getting done on the counter. He brings a balance because he can play difficult passes with a good success rate
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 10:37:40 pm by MonsLibpool »

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6308 on: March 15, 2023, 10:31:53 pm »

The midfielders missing don't make much of a difference.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6309 on: March 15, 2023, 10:39:17 pm »
We certainly missed his quick passes but he's an ageing injury prone player and not one for the future. Hope he plays a part in the run in though.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6310 on: March 15, 2023, 11:52:45 pm »
Next to zero creativity in midfield without this man, in stark contrast to Real, who are not flying either...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #6311 on: March 15, 2023, 11:59:20 pm »
He wouldn't have changed the results. Look at the season, he's bee here for most of it. Didi was right.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6312 on: March 16, 2023, 12:11:24 am »
He wouldn't have changed the results. Look at the season, he's bee here for most of it. Didi was right.
Some of the goals we conceded in the first leg came from giving it away cheaply. His press resistance would have helped. It did in 2021. He didn't start but we looked better after he come on.

Online Syntexity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6313 on: April 7, 2023, 12:07:04 pm »
Cant wait to see this guy on the field again. Such a wonderful player. Does the hard work, puts his body on the line and he can do magic with the ball too. Seems such a wonderful person off the pitch and you can see that he really goes into games creating a togetheness with his teammates.

If there is anyone who can play and also help set standards in the same manner as Milner, its him. He is good with languages as well  ;)  Should be offering this man an extended contract in my view and sign someone so his minutes can be managed a bit more to hopefully avoid injuries.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #6314 on: April 7, 2023, 01:58:17 pm »
It wouldn’t be Liverpool if two players who have suffered more than most are now back and trying to injure each other

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #6315 on: April 7, 2023, 02:50:22 pm »
Is he back? God, I hope so.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6316 on: April 7, 2023, 03:12:11 pm »
Wrap him up in cotton candy!
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #6317 on: April 7, 2023, 03:29:11 pm »
Wrap him up in cotton candy!

Hmmm? Bit sticky maybe?

:)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #6318 on: April 8, 2023, 11:17:25 am »
If we had a more solid performing midfield the man would shine. But we don't. Cant expect him to do everything. Injuries aside...

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6319 on: April 9, 2023, 06:42:05 pm »
Cheat code footballer.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."