Author Topic: Jürgen Klopp  (Read 957509 times)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Re: Jürgen Klopp
« Reply #8960 on: February 6, 2023, 10:52:19 am »
I would rather everyone in the club go before Klopp does.
If there was a chance he could sign a contract to keep him here for another few years beyond this current contract it would be the best thing to come out this season.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8961 on: February 6, 2023, 11:02:44 am »
Probably because Pearce is a twat?

Is he? Is James Pearce a twat, what grounds do you have for that?     He no longer has the inside skinny on what is going on at the club, most memorably on transfers but seems a decent bloke, trying to do a job in journalism which is a shitty beat these days, thankless too.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8962 on: February 6, 2023, 11:09:58 am »
I support the team and am 100% Klopp is the right man for the rebuild. I did not like what I heard from him on the James Pearce, mind. It is fashionable on here to be neutral or anti nearly all forms of football journalism but Pearce seems a decent guy. If anything he tows the "party" line nearly all the time and is very measured rather than criticizing Klopp or the club. Pearce does not seem to have much inside information any more, which is a shame for him but any articles he has written have only ever mildly stating what is believed by the majority of fans, for example that a lack of midfield transfers add to Klopp's difficulties. If Jurgen does not privately agree with that, I'd be worried to be honest.

Sorry mate but I don't give a shiny fucking shite about whether some attention seeking journo is right or wrong.

Klopps job is to win trophies, he's done that, then some more, some more after that, then broke a shot ton of records, then some more on that too. Pearce is a journalist the likes of who the majority of would sell their own mother for a story. Yeah Klopp has likely been more sensitive of late and maybe here as his back is against the wall right now. This is EXACTLY when he needs the fans support, more so than when we are winning everything. He's brought us everything so when I see him in trouble like this my instinct is to back him no matter fucking what. So if he wants to bring out a mini gun into these vulture galleries he has to sit though then I'll cheer him on.

Rumours are it was either from a story he wrote with someone else or a mix up, Pearce has been licking his arse this morning apparently so I'm guessing it's all been sorted. That aside though I don't even care if Klopp is 1000% wrong on this, if he says Pearce can do one, he can do one.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8963 on: February 6, 2023, 11:13:13 am »
Sorry mate but I don't give a shiny fucking shite about whether some attention seeking journo is right or wrong.

Klopps job is to win trophies, he's done that, then some more, some more after that, then broke a shot ton of records, then some more on that too. Pearce is a journalist the likes of who the majority of would sell their own mother for a story. Yeah Klopp has likely been more sensitive of late and maybe here as his back is against the wall right now. This is EXACTLY when he needs the fans support, more so than when we are winning everything. He's brought us everything so when I see him in trouble like this my instinct is to back him no matter fucking what. So if he wants to bring out a mini gun into these vulture galleries he has to sit though then I'll cheer him on.

Rumours are it was either from a story he wrote with someone else or a mix up, Pearce has been licking his arse this morning apparently so I'm guessing it's all been sorted. That aside though I don't even care if Klopp is 1000% wrong on this, if he says Pearce can do one, he can do one.

Bit touchy there mate.

I love Jurgen and want him to stay. Not sure what you are talking about with "vulture galeries", maybe calm down a little bit and have a walk or something.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8964 on: February 6, 2023, 11:26:22 am »
Bit touchy there mate.

I love Jurgen and want him to stay. Not sure what you are talking about with "vulture galeries", maybe calm down a little bit and have a walk or something.

It's called passion for the club mate, like the sort you have for James Pearce  ;D

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8965 on: February 6, 2023, 11:39:31 am »
I support the team and am 100% Klopp is the right man for the rebuild. I did not like what I heard from him on the James Pearce, mind. It is fashionable on here to be neutral or anti nearly all forms of football journalism but Pearce seems a decent guy. If anything he tows the "party" line nearly all the time and is very measured rather than criticizing Klopp or the club. Pearce does not seem to have much inside information any more, which is a shame for him but any articles he has written have only ever mildly stating what is believed by the majority of fans, for example that a lack of midfield transfers add to Klopp's difficulties. If Jurgen does not privately agree with that, I'd be worried to be honest.
Really? That's why you think Klopp snapped at him? And a nice little dig at Klopp as well, were he to dare to disagree with 'the majority of fans'. Lol.

I don't know the details, as I don't read journos or press, but from the little I've heard here Klopp being pissed off was something to do with Pearce writing a piece a while ago that was outlight lies. Proper 'fake news' Klopp called it.

I don't know, but at least try and find out why he was annoyed before implying that Kloppo is being unnecessarily touchy.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8966 on: February 6, 2023, 11:42:14 am »
Klopp atleast deserves the chance to rebuild and bounce back for all he has done for us! If FSG decides to replace Klopp, the value of their investment would be half within 3 years! No one other than Klopp can create success on such a small budget! No one!
Heh heh heh 'at least'

I'd say he deserves a lot more than 'at least'. He's the best manager we have had in an age, and better than anyone we are likely to get. He 'deserves' all the time he wants and needs.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8967 on: February 6, 2023, 11:48:05 am »
Heh heh heh 'at least'

I'd say he deserves a lot more than 'at least'. He's the best manager we have had in an age, and better than anyone we are likely to get. He 'deserves' all the time he wants and needs.

No I completely agree. I was just trying to contemplate what the tight bastards might think.

For me he deserves all the time he needs

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8968 on: February 6, 2023, 11:51:15 am »
It's called passion for the club mate, like the sort you have for James Pearce  ;D

Well done, Superfan mate.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8969 on: February 6, 2023, 11:52:58 am »
Really? That's why you think Klopp snapped at him? And a nice little dig at Klopp as well, were he to dare to disagree with 'the majority of fans'. Lol.

I don't know the details, as I don't read journos or press, but from the little I've heard here Klopp being pissed off was something to do with Pearce writing a piece a while ago that was outlight lies. Proper 'fake news' Klopp called it.

I don't know, but at least try and find out why he was annoyed before implying that Kloppo is being unnecessarily touchy.

Prefer if Klopp were annoyed with his owners, personally.

And it does worry me Klopp is pissed off and not apparently on his game.

He is the best man for the job and I want him to stay as long as he wants.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #8970 on: February 6, 2023, 11:55:14 am »

I’m guessing you didn’t actually watch the clip then? Because if you did, you response makes little sense. He was polite, calm, and nothing bad or insulting or harsh was said. He just didn’t want to answer a question from a specific journo, another journo asked a similar question and he answered it.

You may want to read some of Pearce and Hughes Athletic work (or not, it’s shit), towing the party line isn’t something they do - they make shit up with pretend sources which infuriates Klopp. This isn’t anything new with him - having a go at the Athletic, but because it came during a difficult period, a huge thing has been made of nothing actually that huge.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8971 on: February 6, 2023, 11:58:15 am »
I’m guessing you didn’t actually watch the clip then? Because if you did, you response makes little sense. He was polite, calm, and nothing bad or insulting or harsh was said. He just didn’t want to answer a question from a specific journo, another journo asked a similar question and he answered it.

You may want to read some of Pearce and Hughes Athletic work (or not, it’s shit), towing the party line isn’t something they do - they make shit up with pretend sources which infuriates Klopp. This isn’t anything new with him - having a go at the Athletic, but because it came during a difficult period, a huge thing has been made of nothing actually that huge.

I heard the whole thing. I didn't like it. Now I have watched many many PCs with Klopp over his time and I think he might be the best I've ever seen at controlling and running those rooms with wit, truth and honesty, when he needs to.

Hope he gets back to his best self soon, that is more important to me than James Pearce, but I don't slag off journos like everyone else here or support Jurgens every move, like a superfan.

He's great, he's the one for us, long may he be around.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8972 on: February 6, 2023, 11:59:39 am »

Hope he gets back to his best self soon, that is more important to me than James Pearce, but I don't slag off journos like everyone else here or support Jurgens every move, like a superfan.

He's great, he's the one for us, long may he be around.

Just stop with the superfan nonsense.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8973 on: February 6, 2023, 12:00:26 pm »

I would say the same thing to others.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8974 on: February 6, 2023, 12:01:37 pm »
I would say the same thing to others.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8975 on: February 6, 2023, 12:09:41 pm »

If taking Klopps side over some no mark, weasel hack counts for a superfan these days then we really are fucked  ;D

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8976 on: February 6, 2023, 12:13:46 pm »
If taking Klopps side over some no mark, weasel hack counts for a superfan these days then we really are fucked  ;D

He's a Liverpudlian, doing a professional job of work, so by all means call him a "no mark, weasel, hack" after you lay out your own credentials first. You don't like the media, fine.

At the end of the day, I said I didn't like a moment in a press conference not that I would choose one man over another, in two different jobs.

Ridiculous bollocks being spouted on here, and btw, if you think Klopp is fautless as a manager in the last 18 months, you might want to think again there too.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8977 on: February 6, 2023, 12:40:01 pm »

"He's a Liverpudlian, doing a professional job of work". I never knew Bath was a suberb of Liverpool? As to his work, that's a matter of opinion.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8978 on: February 6, 2023, 12:56:50 pm »
Oh here we go, the "he's not faultless" gambit. As if that means anything; as if anyone has ever said he's faultless. I mean I hear he leaves the top off the toothpaste tube, the blert!

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #8979 on: February 6, 2023, 01:22:19 pm »
Oh here we go, the "he's not faultless" gambit. As if that means anything; as if anyone has ever said he's faultless. I mean I hear he leaves the top off the toothpaste tube, the blert!

He gets as long as he wants in the job, I trust he’d walk if he ever felt he wasn’t up to it anymore. That being said, it’d be interesting to see how long he would last without showing some sign of improving this form if there was any decent alternative to him available. Brendan got a season and a bit before he was replaced, so I’m sure Jurgen would get a full second season, although having said that it’s hard to imagine what a decent alternative even looks like given just how right Jurgen is for the job.

Imagine we were to sack him and get Pochettino, Zidane, Tuchel even Guardiola say, they’re all just wrong for the job in some way or another in a way that Klopp isn’t. I don’t even his successor that’s for sure, which is part of why I think they might have to have some tie to Liverpool.

Perhaps we get too attached to our managers. Even if we do, it doesn’t matter because it’s the reality of the situation, nobody is good enough to replace Jurgen, so we just look elsewhere for change because of he can’t succeed in the environment then nobody can.

So whilst he may be at fault for some of the issues this season, those errors would only be for the want of trying, and he will be more critical than anyone else of these, so we don’t need to tell him. He is untouchable.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8980 on: February 6, 2023, 01:23:02 pm »
"He's a Liverpudlian, doing a professional job of work". I never knew Bath was a suberb of Liverpool? As to his work, that's a matter of opinion.

;D

And regardless, what does where he is from have to do with Pearce’s work. What a weird take.

Again, baffling such a calm response from Klopp has upset some. He’s been rightly far harsher with many journos over the years here and in Germany.  I suppose when a club is struggling, it’s easier to make it a far bigger thing.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #8981 on: February 6, 2023, 01:25:08 pm »
Is he? Is James Pearce a twat, what grounds do you have for that?     He no longer has the inside skinny on what is going on at the club, most memorably on transfers but seems a decent bloke, trying to do a job in journalism which is a shitty beat these days, thankless too.

Then again, works for the Athletic, the most pro-City page going, so much so, they turned their comments off on the Man City story this morning (despite many others not doing that at all, like the BBC so the 'don't want any legal shenanigans' excuse can't wash).
« Last Edit: February 6, 2023, 01:29:15 pm by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8982 on: February 6, 2023, 01:28:05 pm »
;D

And regardless, what does where he is from have to do with Pearce’s work. What a weird take.

Nothing, just correcting that he's a Liverpudlian.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8983 on: February 6, 2023, 01:30:09 pm »
Works for the Athletic, the most pro-City page going, so much so, they turned their comments off on the Man City story this morning (despite many others not doing that at all, like the BBC so the 'don't want any legal shenanigans' excuse can't wash). Writes stories out of his arse now.

Has the Athletic actually done anything on the City story yet? All I can find are other stories and a strange tweet from Simon Hughes saying people shouldn't be celebrating the news! How tragic that the cheats have been charged hey.  :o
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8984 on: February 6, 2023, 01:31:34 pm »
He's a Liverpudlian, doing a professional job of work, so by all means call him a "no mark, weasel, hack" after you lay out your own credentials first. You don't like the media, fine.

At the end of the day, I said I didn't like a moment in a press conference not that I would choose one man over another, in two different jobs.

Ridiculous bollocks being spouted on here, and btw, if you think Klopp is fautless as a manager in the last 18 months, you might want to think again there too.

“Lay out your own credentials” wtf  ;D

Klopp, nor any manager for that case, is faultless. He wasn’t when he won the league, or near quadruple last season. Not sure what that has to do with some weasel, no mark hack though.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #8985 on: February 6, 2023, 01:34:08 pm »
Heh heh heh 'at least'

That is literally what the guy was saying - being that the least Klopp deserves is more time etc than he is being given.

"At least" is saying that as a minimum he gets x, y, or z if not more.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8986 on: February 6, 2023, 02:02:33 pm »
That is literally what the guy was saying - being that the least Klopp deserves is more time etc than he is being given.

"At least" is saying that as a minimum he gets x, y, or z if not more.
And yet when we were winning everything no one said "Wow Klopp is amazing, he's so geeat I think he should have at least one more season!!!" because it's just not the type of language you use with someone you want to stay longterm.

There's a wide gulf of nuance between plain dictionary definition and real world usage.

However, the poster has since clarified their view so all is cool

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #8987 on: February 6, 2023, 02:06:31 pm »
Bit touchy there mate.

What are you on about, that is a wonderful post!
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8988 on: February 6, 2023, 02:21:18 pm »

Missed this earlier. Excellent post.

Everyone can be a boss supporter when things are going great. It's when things aren't going well that the mettle is tested.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8989 on: February 6, 2023, 02:29:10 pm »

Everyone can be a boss supporter when things are going great. It's when things aren't going well that the mettle is tested.
Shankly said:

"If you can't support us when we're not playing well, go fuck yerselves yer gobshite bastards".

or, something like that.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8990 on: February 6, 2023, 04:06:23 pm »

Agree about the post you quoted.
Any journo v Klopp then its Klopp every time. I think we sometimes overlook the commercial pressures on the likes of the Athletic, it's clearly struggling to make the numbers that it needs, and they will be under pressure to keep producing the stories. That's when judgement and quality suffer.

Some of these lads have made very good careers on the back of the club and it's a bit rich to see one or two shit stirring when it suits them.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8991 on: February 6, 2023, 05:26:19 pm »

No,no mate you misheard,they said that you chat super-wham.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red Giant

• da red giant asshole
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8992 on: February 6, 2023, 06:10:13 pm »

I think that someone told Klopp about what Pearce tweeted during the game against Wolves.
Seeing as he is the Liverpool correspondent for The Athletic he should have been more respectful towards Klopp.
This is the tweet I'm talking about: You're getting sacked in the morning, chant the home fans as Klopp stands on the touchline with his hands deep in his pockets.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8993 on: February 6, 2023, 06:15:37 pm »
I think that someone told Klopp about what Pearce tweeted during the game against Wolves.
Seeing as he is the Liverpool correspondent for The Athletic he should have been more respectful towards Klopp.
This is the tweet I'm talking about: You're getting sacked in the morning, chant the home fans as Klopp stands on the touchline with his hands deep in his pockets.

yeah mentioned that before, not sure if that is what irritated him, but it was classless from Pearce, showing his only interest is of course likes and retweets, not being even a tiny bit respectful to Klopp during a tough time.   

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #8994 on: February 6, 2023, 11:18:23 pm »

I can't believe people on here are letting this go. I mean what kind of man do we have managing us?

Standards Corrupted indeed.

*Shakes Head*
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #8995 on: February 7, 2023, 09:22:44 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/07/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-strange-ritualistic-power-of-the-press-conference

Jürgen Klopp and the strange ritualistic power of the press conference

Jürgen Klopp takes a seat in the press conference room at Molineux and answers questions about Liverpool’s latest defeat. He looks a little haggard these days, like a homeless wizard: the face worn and weathered, a thick Arctic forest of a beard hanging from him. Deep breaths. Voice cracked and familiar. Baseball cap drawn low over sad eyes. On the walls at Liverpool’s training ground there are photos from his arrival, a younger and handsomer man staring him down every day he comes into work. Seven years. How has it only been seven years? How has it already been seven years? Somebody asks a question about Liverpool’s slow starts. Something about mentality. Suddenly he recognises a face, a name, some words, a feeling. A brief and powerful memory flickers and ignites inside him.

“It’s really difficult to talk to you, if I’m 100% honest,” Klopp snapped at James Pearce, a Liverpool reporter from the Athletic, on Saturday night. “You know why. For all the things you wrote.” Of course Klopp’s outburst seems to have provoked all the usual trimmings of shock and outrage from all the usual places. Personally, I’m surprised this kind of thing doesn’t happen more often. Particularly when you consider the rawness of the emotions involved, the artificiality of the setting, the staggering gulf in expertise between those doing the asking and those doing the answering.

Just pause for a second to consider how much more Klopp must know about his job than the average attendee at one of his press conferences. This is no slight on the football press, by the way: these are by definition quite different jobs with different functions, different target audiences, almost a different language. This largely explains why so many football press conferences produce so little of genuine intellectual value: the common ground between the interlocutors is so narrow as to be essentially meaningless.

In which other profession are its ablest and brightest practitioners contractually obliged to take questions from the patently unqualified on an almost daily basis? Prof Andrew Wiles: congratulations on the proof of Fermat’s Last Theorem, do you think you’ve really laid down a marker there to the mathematical field? Big Fields medal announcement on Wednesday night, how important is it to get your hands on that first trophy of the year? Any knocks?

Yet for all its inefficiency there remains a strange ritualistic power to the press conference, into which all its participants willingly buy. There are coaches for whom the press conference dais may as well be their pulpit: a piece of performance theatre as intrinsic to their brand as anything they do on a training pitch. There are journalists whose entire job revolves around press conferences: driving to them, waiting around for them to start, driving home from them. The little huddle after the press conference where everyone discusses what the best line was, who gets to use what when, and who transcribes which bits. Dave, I’ll do the first five minutes. Sparky, can I keep my answer back until Monday? Yeah, the one about “any special plans for James Maddison”. Yeah. Magic.

If you’re on the inside of this world, there’s something luxuriously seductive to it, even as 24-hour news and social media nibble away at it from the outside. The game is gigantic and the show is global. But here in this windowless room on a cardboard campus in the middle of nowhere, there is a small piece of it that will forever be yours, some mid-strength embargoed Eddie Howe quotes burning a hole in your Olympus voice recorder.

Of course, everyone has a chastening story or two. José Mourinho once blasted me on live television after a pointed question about Alexis Sánchez. Roy Keane rounded on me after I asked whether his turgid Ipswich side needed to lower their ambitions for the season. These are brief and fleeting moments when the fourth wall is broken, when the forced conviviality of this entire absurd encounter comes crashing down in flames.

Because in essence the whole encounter is a kind of pantomime, a marketplace, a verbal arm-wrestle in which the protagonists have largely conflicting goals. The coach has a particular message they want to convey. They may have a score to settle. They may be intent on saying as little as possible. But they always have one big power differential over the rest of the room: while everyone is obliged to know who they are, they are not remotely obliged to know any of the faces in front of them.

This is the compact Klopp broke so savagely on Saturday night. I don’t know Pearce, and I don’t know why Klopp has chosen to beef with one of the most loyal pro-Liverpool reporters in the business. But while coaches must occasionally read their own press – what is the point in having an ego that big unless you can stroke it every so often? – the pretence of oblivion must be maintained at all times.

Klopp’s Liverpool were always based on control. Control of the ball and control of the transition, control of the science and control of the message. Yet among all his other problems, Klopp has lost a lot of expertise in recent months, trusted colleagues and sounding boards: sporting director Michael Edwards, president Mike Gordon, director of research Ian Graham. The football is disappearing over a cliff and the club’s golden era with it. Perhaps the public flaying of Pearce was a kind of rallying cry, an attempt to unite his ailing squad around a common enemy. Paradoxically, he has never really looked more alone.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8996 on: February 7, 2023, 09:42:50 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/07/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-strange-ritualistic-power-of-the-press-conference

Jürgen Klopp takes a seat in the press conference room at Molineux and answers questions about Liverpool’s latest defeat. He looks a little haggard these days, like a homeless wizard: the face worn and weathered, a thick Arctic forest of a beard hanging from him. Deep breaths. Voice cracked and familiar. Baseball cap drawn low over sad eyes. On the walls at Liverpool’s training ground there are photos from his arrival, a younger and handsomer man staring him down every day he comes into work. Seven years. How has it only been seven years? How has it already been seven years? Somebody asks a question about Liverpool’s slow starts. Something about mentality. Suddenly he recognises a face, a name, some words, a feeling. A brief and powerful memory flickers and ignites inside him.

“It’s really difficult to talk to you, if I’m 100% honest,” Klopp snapped at James Pearce, a Liverpool reporter from the Athletic, on Saturday night. “You know why. For all the things you wrote.” Of course Klopp’s outburst seems to have provoked all the usual trimmings of shock and outrage from all the usual places. Personally, I’m surprised this kind of thing doesn’t happen more often. Particularly when you consider the rawness of the emotions involved, the artificiality of the setting, the staggering gulf in expertise between those doing the asking and those doing the answering.

Just pause for a second to consider how much more Klopp must know about his job than the average attendee at one of his press conferences. This is no slight on the football press, by the way: these are by definition quite different jobs with different functions, different target audiences, almost a different language. This largely explains why so many football press conferences produce so little of genuine intellectual value: the common ground between the interlocutors is so narrow as to be essentially meaningless.

In which other profession are its ablest and brightest practitioners contractually obliged to take questions from the patently unqualified on an almost daily basis? Prof Andrew Wiles: congratulations on the proof of Fermat’s Last Theorem, do you think you’ve really laid down a marker there to the mathematical field? Big Fields medal announcement on Wednesday night, how important is it to get your hands on that first trophy of the year? Any knocks?

Snip...

If this power imbalance is so obvious, then why would any manager get particularly perturbed by anything in the media? Why not just dismiss it summarily out of hand because the people writing the dross are genuinely ignorant of what really goes on?

I generally don't watch press conferences because they are a waste of time, and none of the journo's ask any useful questions and the responses are entirely scripted after media training. That being said, the last thing the team needs is to have more pressure heaped on them because of some controversy or another. In that sense, after watching it back I thought maybe it wasn't handled the best. It felt a bit awkward.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8997 on: February 7, 2023, 09:45:23 am »
Why shouldn't he respond personally if a journalist has been the same towards him...?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8998 on: February 7, 2023, 09:48:06 am »

Yet for all its inefficiency there remains a strange ritualistic power to the press conference, into which all its participants willingly buy. There are coaches for whom the press conference dais may as well be their pulpit: a piece of performance theatre as intrinsic to their brand as anything they do on a training pitch. There are journalists whose entire job revolves around press conferences: driving to them, waiting around for them to start, driving home from them. The little huddle after the press conference where everyone discusses what the best line was, who gets to use what when, and who transcribes which bits. Dave, I’ll do the first five minutes. Sparky, can I keep my answer back until Monday? Yeah, the one about “any special plans for James Maddison”. Yeah. Magic.

If you’re on the inside of this world, there’s something luxuriously seductive to it, even as 24-hour news and social media nibble away at it from the outside. The game is gigantic and the show is global. But here in this windowless room on a cardboard campus in the middle of nowhere, there is a small piece of it that will forever be yours, some mid-strength embargoed Eddie Howe quotes burning a hole in your Olympus voice recorder.

Of course, everyone has a chastening story or two. José Mourinho once blasted me on live television after a pointed question about Alexis Sánchez. Roy Keane rounded on me after I asked whether his turgid Ipswich side needed to lower their ambitions for the season. These are brief and fleeting moments when the fourth wall is broken, when the forced conviviality of this entire absurd encounter comes crashing down in flames.

Because in essence the whole encounter is a kind of pantomime, a marketplace, a verbal arm-wrestle in which the protagonists have largely conflicting goals. The coach has a particular message they want to convey. They may have a score to settle. They may be intent on saying as little as possible. But they always have one big power differential over the rest of the room: while everyone is obliged to know who they are, they are not remotely obliged to know any of the faces in front of them.

This is the compact Klopp broke so savagely on Saturday night. I don’t know Pearce, and I don’t know why Klopp has chosen to beef with one of the most loyal pro-Liverpool reporters in the business. But while coaches must occasionally read their own press – what is the point in having an ego that big unless you can stroke it every so often? – the pretence of oblivion must be maintained at all times.

Klopp’s Liverpool were always based on control. Control of the ball and control of the transition, control of the science and control of the message. Yet among all his other problems, Klopp has lost a lot of expertise in recent months, trusted colleagues and sounding boards: sporting director Michael Edwards, president Mike Gordon, director of research Ian Graham. The football is disappearing over a cliff and the club’s golden era with it. Perhaps the public flaying of Pearce was a kind of rallying cry, an attempt to unite his ailing squad around a common enemy. Paradoxically, he has never really looked more alone.

What a pile of shite that is. I pretty much guarantee that comparing how any man looks between 48 and 56, especially when the 48 yo picture was post 3 month sabbatical and the comparison was mid-winter, would not be flattering. I should know, I'm a pretty similar age to Klopp and there's is big difference in how I look - and that's without the stress of managing Liverpool!

Also mentioning a "most loyal pro-Liverpool reporter". Doesn't stop the stirring when he's got a deadline to meet.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2023, 10:02:24 am by Charlie Adams fried egg »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8999 on: February 7, 2023, 09:48:08 am »
Hopefully the next few months will show Jurgen he is in the right place to shape his next three or four years. If we have learnt anything from watching Klopp over the past two decades is he is his own man. He will do what's right for him and for the club so really hoping the players and club show him he has a place here as he could just turn to the missus this May and say do you want to recharge the batteries n head off into the sunset for a while. Done everything we wanted to do here, no regrets and life is short.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I