Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 774759 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez
« Reply #6160 on: February 5, 2023, 04:35:55 pm »
Where's the Matip thread?? I was looking for it earlier but couldn't find it.

If there was one, I think you'd see equal amounts of criticism for him too.

As there doesn't seem to be one, it's only fair to add balance so that Joe isn't getting all the flack....Matip was absolutely garbage yesterday too.

He does have one. Anyway it's not one single player we have problems generally inside the team, just having Jota back will be a help as he has that grip of snappiness about him, he will crash into defenders and give them a hard time. I think we are missing that at the moment and obviously his goals as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #6161 on: February 5, 2023, 04:44:43 pm »
He does have one. Anyway it's not one single player we have problems generally inside the team, just having Jota back will be a help as he has that grip of snappiness about him, he will crash into defenders and give them a hard time. I think we are missing that at the moment and obviously his goals as well.

I agree - I think we're too nice as a team as a whole. That 5 minute spell at the end of the game yesterday where the wolves players were stroking it around and the fans were singing 'Ole', I was screaming for one of our lads to run and just take on of them clean out. Brentford, Brighton and now Wolves have done it to us. Teams are actively taking the piss out of us and we're doing nothing about it. Many of our players don't have the stomach anymore and it's really sad to see.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2023, 04:47:17 pm by Always_A_Red »
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6162 on: February 5, 2023, 04:47:09 pm »
When the confidence is so low, there's no point blasting our players.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6163 on: February 5, 2023, 04:49:45 pm »
We conceded three goals yesterday through three individual errors, Matip and Gomez were horrendous for each goal.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6164 on: February 5, 2023, 04:50:58 pm »
We conceded three goals yesterday through three individual errors, Matip and Gomez were horrendous for each goal.

Yes, but a lot of the pressure at the back is coming from the fact that we are not scoring any goals either. How are suppose to win any game if you can't score? It's not just a problem at the back.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6165 on: February 5, 2023, 04:57:03 pm »
Yes, but a lot of the pressure at the back is coming from the fact that we are not scoring any goals either. How are suppose to win any game if you can't score? It's not just a problem at the back.
Wolves scored after 5-minutes through a Matip own goal with Gomez in no man’s land. Are you suggesting we need to score in the first minute to give the defence some confidence or basic positional sense?

The team is being set-up deeper and more compact with both full-backs playing more reserved to try and prevent us conceding stupid goals. Little wonder we’re finding it harder to score goals.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6166 on: February 5, 2023, 05:04:21 pm »
Wolves scored after 5-minutes through a Matip own goal with Gomez in no man’s land. Are you suggesting we need to score in the first minute to give the defence some confidence or basic positional sense?

The team is being set-up deeper and more compact with both full-backs playing more reserved to try and prevent us conceding stupid goals. Little wonder we’re finding it harder to score goals.

Yes we are conceding stupid goals and early on but we are also having appalling misses down the other end. This seems to be something which isn't bothering you but its another hint that all in not right with overall function of the team. We have two relatively new players playing up front along with Salah who is badly struggling at even getting a shot straight on target at the moment. Are you seriously not concerned about this?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6167 on: February 5, 2023, 05:06:55 pm »
Yes we are conceding stupid goals and early on but we are also having appalling misses down the other end. This seems to be something which isn't bothering you but its another hint that all in not right with overall function of the team. We have two relatively new players playing up front along with Salah who is badly struggling at even getting a shot straight on target at the moment. Are you seriously not concerned about this?
I’m in the Joe Gomez discussing how awful him and his partner were yesterday. What’s going on at the other end is nothing to do with them.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6168 on: February 5, 2023, 05:08:16 pm »
Did I miss where these same people going to the hilt for Joe also threw a shit fit when Lovren was rightly shit on and tossed out?

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6169 on: February 5, 2023, 05:10:07 pm »
Did I miss where these same people going to the hilt for Joe also threw a shit fit when Lovren was rightly shit on and tossed out?

If this is the type of post we now have as a debating point, I give up.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 5, 2023, 05:19:09 pm by jillc »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6170 on: February 5, 2023, 05:20:23 pm »
Given that you joined RAWK just a month before Lovren left, yes I think you probably did miss quite a bit of disagreement on him as a player over several years.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6171 on: February 5, 2023, 07:09:15 pm »
Given that you joined RAWK just a month before Lovren left, yes I think you probably did miss quite a bit of disagreement on him as a player over several years.

Ok, so the consensus was what then?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6172 on: February 5, 2023, 07:14:49 pm »

So on one hand you bitterly complain about wages being tied up on aging players but wanted us to keep Lovren. You are making it up as you go along.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6173 on: February 5, 2023, 07:21:17 pm »
Seriously, I would rather us start Phillips than him at this moment.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6174 on: February 6, 2023, 12:16:23 am »

There wasn't one

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #6175 on: February 6, 2023, 12:47:03 am »

I think Nat is a good option for the Derby, seriously

Do you remember our last defensive crisis, losing 7-2 to Villa eh with VVD playing. We had a bad spell then, Nat helped save our season if you remember. Not good enough but fights and is good in the air (that's what we'll get next monday)

[remember that season, later than the Villa game. 16 domestic games, won 4, drew 3, lost 9. That's worse than our current spell is it not]. It was only 2 years ago.

Sometimes, when we are pumping balls into the middle that are easily dealt with by defenders I wish we had Nat up front (a la Caulker) just to stir the shit when we have become predictable.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2023, 12:51:05 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6176 on: February 6, 2023, 10:16:45 am »
It's the internet. There is never a consensus.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6177 on: February 6, 2023, 10:17:27 am »
Seriously, you watched that game and thought Gomez had a worse game than Matip?

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6178 on: February 6, 2023, 04:03:59 pm »
Also we are not scoring enough goals either as we have two new players with Mo and the likes of Jota, Diaz and Bobby on the sidelines. If you don't score goals you are not winning any games as you say it is an all round problem in the team, but I think we have challenges at the back, midfield and upfront for now.

Aye, being absolutely dire up front, surely brings a lot of pressure to our defence.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6179 on: February 6, 2023, 04:22:54 pm »
Aye, being absolutely dire up front, surely brings a lot of pressure to our defence.
Alternatively, knowing you need to score two or three goals just to prevent us losing probably puts a lot of pressure on the forwards.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6180 on: February 6, 2023, 08:16:46 pm »
Alternatively, knowing you need to score two or three goals just to prevent us losing probably puts a lot of pressure on the forwards.

and knowing that the midfield will be sliced open with one pass probably weighs on both sides. :D

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6181 on: February 6, 2023, 09:00:03 pm »
and knowing that the midfield will be sliced open with one pass probably weighs on both sides. :D
Alisson must be on some pretty strong pills to have not suffered a nervous breakdown by now 😁

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6182 on: February 13, 2023, 11:56:27 am »
Liverpool have made some bad and/or emotional contract decisions, but giving Gomez a new one till 2027 doesn't look great

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6183 on: February 13, 2023, 12:13:54 pm »
I dunno, I'm not as bothered about this one as Henderson and Milner.  He's still young, he's not first choice, he's not on huge wages and he's homegrown.  I think he's a good squad option.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #6184 on: February 13, 2023, 12:15:09 pm »
Liverpool have made some bad and/or emotional contract decisions, but giving Gomez a new one till 2027 doesn't look great
I can only presume it was to protect against him leaving without getting a fee. His contract was/is due up pretty soon isn't it?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6185 on: February 13, 2023, 01:02:34 pm »
I dunno, I'm not as bothered about this one as Henderson and Milner.  He's still young, he's not first choice, he's not on huge wages and he's homegrown.  I think he's a good squad option.

Isn't he on over 100k a week now with the new contract?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6186 on: February 13, 2023, 02:13:45 pm »
Isn't he on over 100k a week now with the new contract?

He shares agents with Nat Phillips, so I think its closer to £400k a week
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #6187 on: February 13, 2023, 02:37:06 pm »
Joe was so incredibly good when he broke in under Brendan, excelling at lb at 18. Even with all the injuries he still seems to have his incredible pace which is his chief asset, so its just a rhythm and confidence thing. For me he can still make it back, he's way to young to be washed up. Look at Mane during covid, couldn't get past rob holding. My grandmother could get past rob holding. Then down the middle 2nd half of last season, best anywhere. Unplayable.

I hope he can get it together because a Peak Gomez is a very good defender.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6188 on: February 13, 2023, 02:51:52 pm »

You've got to have HG players or you'll end up with a squad of about senior 19 players for the PL. You can carry the likes of Elliot and Bajcetic as U21 players.

Our HG players in 2022/23 are: Kelleher, Phillips, Gomez, TAA, Henderson, Milner, AOC

Curtis Jones will become one in 2023/24.

Keeping Gomez as 4th choice CB or Phillips as 5th choice or AOC/Jones as 8th choice midfielder is in part due to the HG rule. You aren't going to buy a good HG player very cheaply. Equally most clubs won't let them go because they are hard to come by.

This summer we could lose Kelleher, Phillips, Milner and AOC - leaving us with potentially Gomez, TAA, Henderson and Jones as HG players.

As a consequence we either need to accept having a squad of 21 players (plus U21s), buy some more HG players or buy U21 players to boost squad (for example (reserve keeper).

It's why I think Henderson, Jones and Gomez are relatively safe in any summer cull of the squad.

If we have a smaller squad next season, then we really need to think about durability of the players we keep. Can't have a 21 man squad with players who aren't available 30-40% of the time. It's why I'd think hard about the likes of Matip, Keita, Firmino and Thiago in the summer. All taking a non-HG space, all on big wages and all injury prone. I wouldn't get rid of all of them but think you need to sacrifice at least 2 for younger, more robust players.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6189 on: February 13, 2023, 03:11:21 pm »
I'm not doubting his usefulness on the home grown quota, but a bit of a piss take that he's there on a technicality rather than playing ability earning close to 100k (although admittedly that's my thoughts on him rather than Klopp who may rate him very highly)

Of course this is ignoring that you don't neccessarily need 8 homegrown, but the squad can't have more than 17 in a 25 man squad
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:17:54 pm by Machae »

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6190 on: February 13, 2023, 03:15:46 pm »
It's the internet. There is never a consensus.

The day we get a consensus view on RAWK is the day that there is only one user left (probably Mac)
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6191 on: February 13, 2023, 10:34:58 pm »
Really enjoyed Joe's performance tonight. Everton offered little going forward of course, but it was still a really solid, composed performance never the less. Cleaned up a few semi-concerning counters really effectively.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #6192 on: February 13, 2023, 10:37:48 pm »
Solid tonight, he needs to build on this and silence the doubters, me included. I'd be so happy for him to prove me wrong.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #6193 on: February 13, 2023, 10:41:40 pm »
The day we get a consensus view on RAWK is the day that there is only one user left (probably Mac)
Mac is pretty good at contracting himself.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6194 on: February 13, 2023, 10:47:07 pm »
Gomez and VVD partnership maybe? We'll see.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6195 on: February 14, 2023, 02:25:45 am »
only after he'd argued with himself for 3 pages ....

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6196 on: February 14, 2023, 02:26:57 am »
Mac is pretty good at contracting himself.
noooo!!

don't mention contracting to Kangaroo !! Latin attack imminent!!

:)

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6197 on: February 14, 2023, 09:58:39 am »
I thought he was exceptional last night, proper aggressive all game..

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6198 on: February 14, 2023, 10:07:50 am »
Yep he was really good. Thought the first half by the team wasnt great but he, alongside Mo, Bajetic and Robertson was good throughout.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6199 on: February 14, 2023, 10:10:31 am »
There's a really odd habit this season of writing players off completely, when the whole side has been playing crap. He's a class player, as is Matip.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.