Author Topic: Alan Partridge - including Alpha Papa  (Read 554089 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Alan Partridge - including Alpha Papa
« Reply #4200 on: April 1, 2019, 11:40:21 pm »
"Tommy, join me at the lady..."

"Come on Ray, pick up, you big bastard..."

"Alan Youcock there.."

(to Simon, getting up to join him) "Nooo"

All of camp Alan was great too

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4201 on: April 2, 2019, 08:13:42 am »
Think I'd have preferred an episode that built to the fallout with Jennie rather than starting it abruptly with it. Definitely feel the show peaked in episodes three and four, but there's obviously plenty of great stuff across all six.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #4202 on: April 2, 2019, 08:15:14 am »
Was the Ukrainian woman he was helping get back on her feet his old flame Sonja?

Bound to be
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4203 on: April 2, 2019, 08:16:35 am »
Bound to be

I hope they were both appalling when he finally made it there.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4204 on: April 2, 2019, 08:23:10 am »
I think a lot of what has worked in the show has been helped by Jennie's amazing subtle reactions whilst keeping that rictus grin going (i guess eye-acting is a thing?), and without that it felt a bit off. Missed Ruth as well, it felt there should have been a finale to that. The fashion bit was strong but after that I didn't think it was that strong outside of a couple of one-off lines, although his attempts to stage-manage Simon on live TV were pretty good.

Overall the sereis was a decent attempt to bring Alan into the world of modern TV (looking back, KMKYWAP was so of the TV of its time and this was a nice update to that).

And we'll always have Irish Alan. Ha-ha!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4205 on: April 2, 2019, 08:55:40 am »
I think a lot of what has worked in the show has been helped by Jennie's amazing subtle reactions whilst keeping that rictus grin going (i guess eye-acting is a thing?), and without that it felt a bit off. Missed Ruth as well, it felt there should have been a finale to that. The fashion bit was strong but after that I didn't think it was that strong outside of a couple of one-off lines, although his attempts to stage-manage Simon on live TV were pretty good.

Overall the sereis was a decent attempt to bring Alan into the world of modern TV (looking back, KMKYWAP was so of the TV of its time and this was a nice update to that).

And we'll always have Irish Alan. Ha-ha!

Irish Alan wins the comedy character award for the 1st quarter of 2919 hands down.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4206 on: April 2, 2019, 09:59:01 am »
Think I'd have preferred an episode that built to the fallout with Jennie rather than starting it abruptly with it. Definitely feel the show peaked in episodes three and four, but there's obviously plenty of great stuff across all six.

I thought it got off to a great start with the fight with Jennie but I was hoping they'd bring her back in half way through to see how they cope with each other after that.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4207 on: April 2, 2019, 10:24:13 am »
Don't think it ever quite came together but plenty of great stuff throughout the series (Martin Brennan the obvious highlight). I'll need to rewatch it again once the dust has settled but I don't think it's as good as other recent stuff such as Scissored Isle and Nomad. I do just love watching Alan and Simon in their comfort zone together which is why MMM will probably always be my favourite.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4208 on: April 2, 2019, 10:24:53 am »
I thought it got off to a great start with the fight with Jennie but I was hoping they'd bring her back in half way through to see how they cope with each other after that.

I actually liked that it didn't. I mean the exposition was silly, but only wasted the first couple of minutes then it allowed the rest of the energy to be spent on pure Partridge and less of the blatantly obvious One Show type tropes. I don't think the episode missed Jennie, there wasn't much more for her to offer

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #4209 on: April 2, 2019, 12:41:47 pm »
Great series overall but disappointing last episode.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4212 on: April 2, 2019, 04:20:27 pm »
"The hunter - me - had become the hunted...me."

"Come at me like a bitch, and don't be surpirsed if I mount you"

"That's the funniest thing I've heard since...1990."

Loved how he was acting like he wouldn't care if Jennie left, then completely panicked when she did.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2019, 04:29:13 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #4213 on: April 3, 2019, 08:22:50 am »
Strange they ditched a winning formula for the last show. Great in parts but nothing to beat the CPR or Irish Alan bits, that was the kind of stuff I was laughing at days later.

Thought it might have been better if Simon was totally shit in his new role or so unexpectedly good he was better than Alan, but he was just something in between.

Still a good show, but based on previous episodes a bit of a let down.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #4214 on: April 3, 2019, 10:06:35 am »
Strange they ditched a winning formula for the last show. Great in parts but nothing to beat the CPR or Irish Alan bits, that was the kind of stuff I was laughing at days later.

Thought it might have been better if Simon was totally shit in his new role or so unexpectedly good he was better than Alan, but he was just something in between.

Still a good show, but based on previous episodes a bit of a let down.

Pretty much how I felt too, I liked Jennie's uncomfortable moments sat next to Alan.
Was also looking forward to another Ruth Duggan interview especially after the way it went in the last episode.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #4215 on: April 3, 2019, 10:55:02 am »
Pretty much how I felt too, I liked Jennie's uncomfortable moments sat next to Alan.
Was also looking forward to another Ruth Duggan interview especially after the way it went in the last episode.

The final run in with Ruth Duggan was something I was expecting to see, and it felt bizarre Alan and Jennie didn't see the show out together on whatever terms that might have been.

Thought the sleep segment was the best part of this one, the b/w footage of Alan in bed was funny, and he did himself no favour speeding it up by accident.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4216 on: April 3, 2019, 04:36:28 pm »
Agree with the above, the show missed Jennie. I think it would have been better with her next to Alan taking little potshots and winding him up as the show went on. Then add in Ruth with Alan completely blowing his lid and going off on one.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4217 on: April 3, 2019, 05:57:15 pm »
How long before everyone goes back to I'm Alan Partridge quotes

Not long I'd say

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4218 on: April 3, 2019, 06:20:32 pm »

Not long I'd say

Who the hell is that?

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #4219 on: April 3, 2019, 10:36:29 pm »

Not long I'd say

Whooo... whooo... who do you think you are?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #4220 on: April 4, 2019, 04:11:16 pm »

I wanted him to suddenly be a natural and find his calling.

I wonder what his performance is like on Simon and Lucy's Doctor Who Watchalong. (Give. Me. Strength.)
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Conocinico

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cameras in your food, dude.
« Reply #4221 on: April 5, 2019, 12:36:20 pm »

You're joking?! He was terrible in his role as a presenter. Rewatch it, he's mouthing the autocue when Alan's speaking, he's all cheery when talking about corruption in Africa, the bloys in blue bit. He was laughably bad and made all the funnier by Alan's visible annoyance.
This sentence is not provable

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
AHA!

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #4223 on: April 5, 2019, 03:27:19 pm »
You're joking?! He was terrible in his role as a presenter. Rewatch it, he's mouthing the autocue when Alan's speaking, he's all cheery when talking about corruption in Africa, the bloys in blue bit. He was laughably bad and made all the funnier by Alan's visible annoyance.

yeah...agree he was nervous and fucked up a bit, but nothing that pissed Alan off that much. Then again I haven't watched it again, and typically you can miss certain bits on first viewing.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4224 on: April 6, 2019, 10:01:46 pm »
Ask for the cake selection, cry at your reflection

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4225 on: April 11, 2019, 08:39:49 pm »

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4226 on: May 16, 2019, 09:42:47 pm »
Sir Jimmy Saville. Disgraced Knight of the realm.

[emoji4]
Sky Atlantic dudes
bollocks

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4227 on: May 16, 2019, 10:24:41 pm »
I actually liked that it didn't. I mean the exposition was silly, but only wasted the first couple of minutes then it allowed the rest of the energy to be spent on pure Partridge and less of the blatantly obvious One Show type tropes. I don't think the episode missed Jennie, there wasn't much more for her to offer

Spot on. It was setup to be a complete Partridge shitshow for the final episode. He actually started off quite professional (for him) in the first episode before he grew into his old self by the final episode.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4228 on: July 9, 2019, 03:54:49 pm »
Jet

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #4229 on: August 9, 2019, 08:57:19 am »
Do you think the Dimbleby’s eat Penguins?

Working from home and going back through This Time, so many great lines. Oh God, it’s school Alan now :lmao
AHA!

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4230 on: August 9, 2019, 12:07:11 pm »
If you’d have told me 25 years ago that I was going to be talking about rigid inflatable hulls with Dale Winton, I’d probably have spat at you.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4231 on: August 10, 2019, 10:38:11 am »
Having a long, much delayed drive back from Devon the other day I put on my audiobook of I, Partridge. Christ it's good. I normally prefer reading to listening to something but hearing it read by the man himself makes it much better.

It's a busty autobiography. Probably the bustiest on campus.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4232 on: August 10, 2019, 11:48:02 am »
Having a long, much delayed drive back from Devon the other day I put on my audiobook of I, Partridge. Christ it's good. I normally prefer reading to listening to something but hearing it read by the man himself makes it much better.

I’m a father you mothers!
We are Liverpool!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4233 on: August 10, 2019, 01:36:49 pm »

And what chicken nuggets! These boast all the smoky zing of McCain Southern coating with the tenderest cuts of white meat.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4234 on: August 13, 2019, 06:07:47 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/aug/13/alan-partridge-saves-steve-coogan-from-lengthy-driving-ban

Steve Coogan has escaped a lengthy driving ban after successfully arguing that a new series featuring his Alan Partridge character could not be filmed on public transport.

The comedian was clocked driving his Porsche at 36mph in a 30mph zone close to his mansion in East Sussex, earning him a three-point endorsement on his driving licence. Because he already had nine points from previous offences he faced an automatic six-month ban.

Magistrates in Crawley instead decided to ban him from driving for two months after hearing that a lengthier time off the road would force him to cancel an Alan Partridge travelogue series he is set to make for the BBC.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4235 on: August 13, 2019, 06:11:58 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/aug/13/alan-partridge-saves-steve-coogan-from-lengthy-driving-ban
Had to check that wasn’t satire. Imagine if he hurts someone driving in the next six months and the whole reason he’s driving is because he wants to shoot a TV series.

Partridge is one of the greatest characters ever. Steve Coogan is a moron though.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4236 on: August 13, 2019, 06:34:43 pm »
My first thought was to just suspend the ban until the series is done and then enforce it in full, but it does have the same problem of 'what if something happens in the meantime'?

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4237 on: August 13, 2019, 06:37:01 pm »
Bill.....Car.....Bill Car

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4238 on: August 13, 2019, 08:57:18 pm »
My first thought was to just suspend the ban until the series is done and then enforce it in full, but it does have the same problem of 'what if something happens in the meantime'?
Exactly, and as much as I love Alan Partridge, what makes the staff and crew so important?

Would a plasterer be able to get a more lenient ban on the grounds that his workmates have no other form of transport?

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4239 on: August 13, 2019, 10:28:57 pm »
Exactly, and as much as I love Alan Partridge, what makes the staff and crew so important?

Would a plasterer be able to get a more lenient ban on the grounds that his workmates have no other form of transport?

I'm sure I've heard before that you can avoid a ban if your driving is critical to your job etc, but I think this is a bit of stretch.