Author Topic: Holiday 2020 (Now Cancelled due to Coronavirus) will we get away in 2021?  (Read 36428 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Holiday 2020
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2020, 08:34:33 pm »
Looking at 2 weeks in either cuba or Mexico later on this year. Would usually aim for September but know you're playing roulette with the weather. May wait for later on in the year

We're going to Mexico half term in October, Playacar. Missus did Mexico in Sept 2001 and hardly had any rain and a fella from her work went last Oct and got about half an hours rain. October/November seems best time for the weather
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:13 am »
Anyone been to Cap Verde ?  Looks relatively decent in terms of pricing compared to the more exotic places – but a bit more fancy than spain/Greece etc
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2020, 09:55:54 am »
Anyone been to Cap Verde ?  Looks relatively decent in terms of pricing compared to the more exotic places – but a bit more fancy than spain/Greece etc

Yeah I went to Boa Vista island (Rui Touareg) and loved it. Sea is a bit rougher than you’d get in more exotic places, but couldn’t fault it really.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2020, 10:16:59 am »
Looking at Vietnam for our honeymoon this winter, heard great things and it's always been on "the list". We were wanting to go to Cuba but it's a bit out of our budget now Thomas Cook have gone under.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2020, 10:32:25 am »

Yeah. Been 3 times (twice to Sal and once to Boa Vista).

It's not a place you go to explore and take in the culture. It just some really nice hotels and an airport mixed with guaranteed sun and hot weather (30+ deg in November). You can do quad biking and all the water sports and fishing activities and I think there was a salt mine on one of the islands but you'll be doing more relaxing than anything.

Did my 1st Scuba dive there and it was incredible.

One word of advice on the flights though. Its a long haul flight (7 ish hours) but Tui use short haul planes so it's not the most comfortable experience

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2020, 11:08:39 am »
Looking at Vietnam for our honeymoon this winter, heard great things and it's always been on "the list". We were wanting to go to Cuba but it's a bit out of our budget now Thomas Cook have gone under.

My favourite place in Asia and one of the best places for food I've ever been. If you want any recommendations just give me a shout.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2020, 01:50:12 pm »

Same here, although I do highly recommend Hoi An. It's my absolute favourite place in Vietnam.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2020, 03:55:54 pm »
Same here, although I do highly recommend Hoi An. It's my absolute favourite place in Vietnam.

Yep. Gorgeous place. We brought back a bunch lanterns from there which have been in the loft - I want to get them out in teh garden this summer.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2020, 06:30:48 pm »
Yep. Gorgeous place. We brought back a bunch lanterns from there which have been in the loft - I want to get them out in teh garden this summer.

I can still taste the Bao Buns from there now and love my tailored shirts. Would love to go back sometime.

Offline blink

• Kemlynite
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2020, 01:20:51 am »
Been recommended to cancel my trip to Hong Kong next month so either looking at Seoul for a couple of days or straight to Japan and spend longer travelling around. Going to Asia at this moment isn't exactly the most comforting thing but we've saved and planned for 18 months since our wedding

My apologies if someone has already told you this, but if you are going to spend two or three weeks in Japan and you want to see as much of it as you can, you should buy a JR Rail Pass.  They are a little expensive, but it will give you unlimited travel throughout Japan; travelling by train in Japan is much more comfortable and convenient than the UK.  You can only buy it abroad, so you need to buy it before coming here.

Of course it goes without mentioning that you should monitor the Corona virus situation before coming here, but if you do decide to come to Japan, don't be unduly worried with everyone wearing masks; they do that every year.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2020, 03:25:53 am »
2 days skiing in West Virginia at an average resort with my daughter.

2020 holiday. DONE.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2020, 10:06:17 am »
Been recommended to cancel my trip to Hong Kong next month so either looking at Seoul for a couple of days or straight to Japan and spend longer travelling around. Going to Asia at this moment isn't exactly the most comforting thing but we've saved and planned for 18 months since our wedding

My apologies if someone has already told you this, but if you are going to spend two or three weeks in Japan and you want to see as much of it as you can, you should buy a JR Rail Pass.  They are a little expensive, but it will give you unlimited travel throughout Japan; travelling by train in Japan is much more comfortable and convenient than the UK.  You can only buy it abroad, so you need to buy it before coming here.

Of course it goes without mentioning that you should monitor the Corona virus situation before coming here, but if you do decide to come to Japan, don't be unduly worried with everyone wearing masks; they do that every year.

Thanks for that, we are already planning on the JR Pass as we'll be going from Tokyo to Hiroshima

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2020, 11:56:03 am »
Milan done. Sorrento maybe in August. Oman in November. Maybe somewhere in September.

Offline blink

• Kemlynite
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2020, 12:46:15 pm »
Thanks for that, we are already planning on the JR Pass as we'll be going from Tokyo to Hiroshima

Enjoy!  If you need any further information, please let me know; I'll be more than happy to help.

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2020, 04:13:43 pm »
Enjoy!  If you need any further information, please let me know; I'll be more than happy to help.

Thanks mate

Plan currently is 15 days, starting in Tokyo, heading to Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima with some day trips thrown in to the likes of Kobe. Finish back in Tokyo before heading home

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2020, 01:28:22 pm »

I wouldn’t cancel Hong Kong just yet. The virus has barely even touched Hong Kong so hopefully the paranoia will calm down soon. There are more cases in Korea and Japan, but even then this is all very very insignificant with pretty much zero risk.

I would say stick to your original plan if it is still in place but it you do switch to Seoul that is no bad thing. Another amazing city.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2020, 09:49:19 pm »
Makarska is a great shout, Zivogosce is another one near Makarska, smaller and less quiet but still pretty nice.

I went to Makarska back in about 2003. Beautiful spot with that huge mountain behind the town and handy for boat trips to the islands.

Also just got back from Gran Canaria yesterday. Pretty lucky to leave when we did as later that day and all today flights have been grounded due to a dust storm from the Sahara. Others we went with have been stuck at the airport all day and chances of getting a hotel aren’t great!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:55:47 pm by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2020, 12:50:58 am »
Heading to Argentina for the Copa America.

Have always wanted to go to South America - Australia has been invited to play in Copa 2020 so its the perfect excuse to go.

Can't wait.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2020, 09:16:22 am »
Missed this by a week, the Calima where sand from the Sahara hits the Canaries

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline ScottScott

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2020, 09:09:06 pm »
I wouldn’t cancel Hong Kong just yet. The virus has barely even touched Hong Kong so hopefully the paranoia will calm down soon. There are more cases in Korea and Japan, but even then this is all very very insignificant with pretty much zero risk.

I would say stick to your original plan if it is still in place but it you do switch to Seoul that is no bad thing. Another amazing city.

The original plan is back on. Hong Kong in 3 weeks for a long weekend and then on to Japan for 2 and bit weeks to explore

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2020, 10:30:43 am »

Dunno what the score is with this now given everything that's going on in the world. We were wanting to book for November as my fella can't get time off in December, should we go for it or hold off until next year?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2020, 10:40:02 am »
10 nights Phuket at Easter.

First holiday with the kids that isn't Southern California where they spend their Summers.

Will be keeping tabs on the Coronavirus and Thailand though, no cases so far in Phuket.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2020, 11:02:25 am »
Dunno what the score is with this now given everything that's going on in the world. We were wanting to book for November as my fella can't get time off in December, should we go for it or hold off until next year?

If I were you I’d hold off for a bit. Things are changing so fast in the region (and everywhere else it seems).
I actually cancelled a trip there this week (from Singapore - so not a big deal but the airline or insurance company AIG/Expedia wouldn’t refund me).

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2020, 11:11:44 am »
If I were you I’d hold off for a bit. Things are changing so fast in the region (and everywhere else it seems).
I actually cancelled a trip there this week (from Singapore - so not a big deal but the airline or insurance company AIG/Expedia wouldn’t refund me).

Thanks mate, I'm thinking we'll have to.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2020, 11:30:22 am »
Insurance is going to be very iffy, there is no way they will pay out on future bookings. This is known about now, so anyone booking a holiday is well aware of the risk of it being cancelled/travel blocked.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2020, 11:46:14 am »
Insurance is going to be very iffy, there is no way they will pay out on future bookings. This is known about now, so anyone booking a holiday is well aware of the risk of it being cancelled/travel blocked.

What if you booked prior to it? We’ve booked Tenerife in August. Might be fine by then but not sure, will have to wait and see. Although we’ve only paid a deposit so far so if we lost that it wouldn’t be too bad.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2020, 12:00:12 pm »
What if you booked prior to it? We’ve booked Tenerife in August. Might be fine by then but not sure, will have to wait and see. Although we’ve only paid a deposit so far so if we lost that it wouldn’t be too bad.

When we went through all the shit with my missus recently and the false cancer diagnosis and the fluid on her lungs, I contacted the insurance company as we already had 3 holidays abroad booked. They said, as they were pre-booked before the diagnosis, then her medical conditions made no difference. I assume that this applies to being stopped from flying to places, but its worth a check.

We got Majorca in May and Mexico in October, so in the same boat as you.

Offline trav2591

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2020, 04:15:59 pm »
Perhaps not the right place to post this but here it goes; Me and the Mrs are probably looking at going away in November this year. Not overly fussed where as long as its sunny.

Is it best booking somewhere now or leaving it till a week before?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2020, 05:02:16 pm »
I went to Makarska back in about 2003. Beautiful spot with that huge mountain behind the town and handy for boat trips to the islands.

Also just got back from Gran Canaria yesterday. Pretty lucky to leave when we did as later that day and all today flights have been grounded due to a dust storm from the Sahara. Others we went with have been stuck at the airport all day and chances of getting a hotel aren’t great!

Aye, love the mountain, love driving around the coast there, great scenery.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #149 on: March 2, 2020, 08:01:57 am »
Perhaps not the right place to post this but here it goes; Me and the Mrs are probably looking at going away in November this year. Not overly fussed where as long as its sunny.

Is it best booking somewhere now or leaving it till a week before?

Well, if they're the only options and right now you don't know where you'd even go...

Best leaving it to a week before, spend the next 8 months blissfully ignoring it, then scramble at the last minute to sort. Best way really mate.  :D

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #150 on: March 8, 2020, 03:49:58 pm »
Thanks mate, I'm thinking we'll have to.

We’ve had a decent quote for a few days in Hanoi, few days in a beach hotel, four day river cruise and a few days in Ho Chi Minh (not necessarily in that order), 16 nights in total. Quote’s valid for 30 days so if things haven’t got apocalyptic then we might book it. Vietnam have been handling this really well so far so it might be the case that we’re not allowed in rather than the other way around ;D

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #151 on: March 8, 2020, 06:19:39 pm »
We’ve had a decent quote for a few days in Hanoi, few days in a beach hotel, four day river cruise and a few days in Ho Chi Minh (not necessarily in that order), 16 nights in total. Quote’s valid for 30 days so if things haven’t got apocalyptic then we might book it. Vietnam have been handling this really well so far so it might be the case that we’re not allowed in rather than the other way around ;D
Since it's a honeymoon trip, you may prefer to have more structure and organization. But in Vietnam you can organize your own trips very easily. Any place you stay at works with local tour guides, which can suit your needs. For a last-minute decision, you could just worry about the air tickets. And if you go to Saigon and Hanoi only, you will miss (arguably better) places - Hoi An (great romantic place for honeymooners), the fantastic Phong Nha caves, etc. In 16 days you could have a great trip. I spent a month there and that was awesome!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: March 9, 2020, 12:06:52 pm »
In exactly 2 weeks i'll be enjoying a beer at the airport before flying out for the holiday of a lifetime to the Maldives via Doha.

10 days in paradise hopefully. 

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #153 on: March 9, 2020, 12:27:24 pm »
In exactly 2 weeks i'll be enjoying a beer at the airport before flying out for the holiday of a lifetime to the Maldives via Doha.

10 days in paradise hopefully. 

Nice place to toast our title win. :D

Second honeymoon Pete? Or have you landed yourself a 40 year old scorcher?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 9, 2020, 01:40:59 pm »
Nice place to toast our title win. :D

Second honeymoon Pete? Or have you landed yourself a 40 year old scorcher?

My missus big birthday and retirement trip mate.

To be fair she’s weighed in a good chunk of her pension to fund it so fair play.

Trouble is I’ve got at LEAST 10 years work left to fund her now :)

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 9, 2020, 08:05:22 pm »

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/vietnam-visa-free-travel-suspended-european-countries-coronavirus-a4382321.html

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2020, 06:02:08 pm »
There should be some dirt cheap last minute deals across Europe this summer.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2020, 08:29:06 pm »
There should be some dirt cheap last minute deals across Europe this summer.
Time to think about my dirty deeds done dirt cheap... :)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2020, 10:47:04 am »
Booked Barcelona a few weeks ago before this Corovirus really got out of hand, kinda wish I hadn’t now. Going in September so hopefully the situation will have improved by then

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2020, 03:44:02 pm »
Milan trip is cancelled now.

Marathon is just postponed so hoping it doesn't clash with another run in the year.

Sense has prevailed finally when I've finally got confirmation that the hotel and flights are being refunded without hassling the travel insurance.

Next actual trip is Berlin in September. GF is running the marathon, then a couple of weeks after is Chicago (again for the marathon).