Author Topic: Cat advice thread  (Read 106290 times)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cat advice thread
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2014, 11:03:30 pm »
As long as there's food and water but it'd probably be bored out of its mind and go crazy.

The answer would be to get two.
That'd be my answer aswell. They can entertain each other/keep each other company very well.
Thanks!

I'm really tempted, would love to have one (or two!) around.

Edit: missed the other posts, thanks again!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:07:43 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2014, 11:04:28 pm »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2014, 11:18:13 pm »
It deopends where you stay to be honest, theirs days where i leave for work at 8am and am not home till 10 at night but my cat tends to sleep all day and then go out at night coming back in the house around 4/5am  i leave a cat litter tray and fill his plate with food aswell as some water but other than that hes happy to lay about all day, but has the option to go out but chooses not to or if he does he'll go a wander round the estate and come back in through my bedroom window.
 Cats are differnt from dogs they want to be left alone and dont really need looking after

Yeah that'd be ideal really, though I guess you don't know what they like doing until you've got it! One one hand it'd be fairly safe round here, quite far away from the main road and there's tons of other cats (a neighbour keeps putting masses of food out for all of them). On the other hand I'm not too keen of having a window open all day or getting a cat flap - someone might get stuck in it...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2014, 11:23:40 pm »
Yeah that'd be ideal really, though I guess you don't know what they like doing until you've got it! One one hand it'd be fairly safe round here, quite far away from the main road and there's tons of other cats (a neighbour keeps putting masses of food out for all of them). On the other hand I'm not too keen of having a window open all day or getting a cat flap - someone might get stuck in it...

If you have lots of cats in your neighbourghood be prepared for the sound of wailing babies in the middle if of the night when two cats fight thats what they sound like, few cats in our neighbourhood but theirs one cat that constantly tries to fight gizmo, hes always in our garden and our cat doesnt like it, and when the two of them start its horrific wakes the whole neightbour hood up they just start wailing at each other

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:24 pm »
If you have lots of cats in your neighbourghood be prepared for the sound of wailing babies in the middle if of the night when two cats fight thats what they sound like, few cats in our neighbourhood but theirs one cat that constantly tries to fight gizmo, hes always in our garden and our cat doesnt like it, and when the two of them start its horrific wakes the whole neightbour hood up they just start wailing at each other
Strangely I never hear anything, even though I can usually see 5-6 cats just walking round the corner. They must have sorted it among themselves. That'll be fun putting some new ones into the mix.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2014, 12:23:44 am »
There's a big ginger tom that makes a nuisance of himself round our end but other than that all the neighbourhood cats seem to get on fine.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2014, 12:28:39 am »
you'll need a cat flap and a camera.  Everything else will take care of itself.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2014, 12:30:15 am »
Thanks!

I'm really tempted, would love to have one (or two!) around.

Edit: missed the other posts, thanks again!
Bear in mind, if you get two, that's double the responsibility and double the vet and food bills.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2014, 12:33:07 am »
There's a big ginger tom that makes a nuisance of himself round our end but other than that all the neighbourhood cats seem to get on fine.
haha same here, there's a massive ginger tom that comes by ours now and again acting the boss. All the local cats are afraid of him and get really annoyed at him. I had to chase him off the other day when my lad had a run in with him and there was fur flying.
Mostly, they'll just keep their distance though.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2014, 04:12:39 am »
These are pretty funny. And they're only slight exaggerations from what you can expect to see from your new cat.  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s13dLaTIHSg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s13dLaTIHSg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EKvNqe8cKU4?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EKvNqe8cKU4?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2014, 10:46:30 am »
Here is the text I got from my missus today

So when you texted asking for a picture of her pussy was this what you were expecting?

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2014, 11:38:23 am »
haha same here, there's a massive ginger tom that comes by ours now and again acting the boss. All the local cats are afraid of him and get really annoyed at him. I had to chase him off the other day when my lad had a run in with him and there was fur flying.
Mostly, they'll just keep their distance though.
So it's true for cats, too?  ;D

XBL: Flash6289

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2014, 01:11:06 pm »
Cats tend to entertain themselves and sleep a lot. As long as there is food and water it shouldn't be a problem. If you are leaving for an extended period then yes you would need someone to look after it. But a usual work day 8-5 really isn't an issue.

Herby

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2014, 01:56:34 pm »
When I was a kid, we used to put the cat out every night before we went to bed.
I don't have a cat now though.

Do people do that nowadays?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2014, 02:08:14 pm »

Probably not since the Goon show is no longer broadcast to remind them. ;)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2014, 02:17:56 pm »

I think it's probably the ideal scenario. Cats need to get outside and they love being out at night. Then they will just sleep indoors most of the day.
It's probably safer for them to be out at night than during the day when there's more traffic and people about.
During very cold nights in the winter you could leave them in.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2014, 02:18:54 pm »
I think it's probably the ideal scenario. Cats need to get outside and they love being out at night. Then they will just sleep indoors most of the day.
It's probably safer for them to be out at night than during the day when there's more traffic and people about.
During very cold nights in the winter you could leave them in.

Don't think our family ever put the cat out, not to say it didn't get out, but we never physically put the cat out for the evening.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2014, 09:47:37 pm »
What utter toss.
Its on the RSPCA's website
Is there a family member home during the day? It is the RSPCA's Policy not to leave an animal for more than four hours maximum.
I can understand that with dogs, but cats seem to be fine to be left a little longer from what everyone is saying. I thought it means I'd fail the 'suitable new home test'.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2014, 06:06:00 am »
Its on the RSPCA's websiteI can understand that with dogs, but cats seem to be fine to be left a little longer from what everyone is saying. I thought it means I'd fail the 'suitable new home test'.

As blurred said, it's utter toss, but if it makes people more attentive and thoughtful about their pets, maybe it is a good thing.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2014, 09:42:09 am »

My girlfriend is the opposite. It's actually led to a big argument because her mate was here last night, and when she was leaving at around 1am, one of the cats got out. It was the one that went missing for 6 months. I obviously helped my girlfriend look for him, but he never comes near me anyway so pretty pointless me calling him. He didn't come in until around 2, by which point I'd fucked off the search and went to bed. None of our cats are allowed out overnight. One of the kittens is half blind, so doesn't get let out on his own. The other gets brought in around 9. The older ones are just brought in when we're going to bed, or if they come in of their own accord after 10.30, don't get let out again.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2014, 10:14:35 am »

We've got one of those magnetic cat-flaps, so he can do as he pleases.

The only issue is that when it's raining outside he'll come in soaked and then
wants to jump into bed with us to dry off.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2014, 10:28:51 am »

I think that's one of those 'back in the day' things when everyone lived in terraces and knew everyone on the street.  At least, that's my experience.

I think there a lots of scare stories about these days and some people are probably more protective of their pets than they would normally be.  I don't think I could sleep soundly knowing that my pet is trapped outside all night.  A cat flap is the best solution for those who want to give their animal as much freedom as possible.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2014, 10:55:18 am »
I think that's one of those 'back in the day' things when everyone lived in terraces and knew everyone on the street.  At least, that's my experience.

I think there a lots of scare stories about these days and some people are probably more protective of their pets than they would normally be.  I don't think I could sleep soundly knowing that my pet is trapped outside all night.  A cat flap is the best solution for those who want to give their animal as much freedom as possible.

thats how you end up with threads like this

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=176824.0

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2014, 04:35:19 pm »
I feed my two (I rescued as kittens - 1 - was about 2 months old, had just been run over and left in the street almost dead, the other was a week old in an alley in the middle of a storm) mainly raw meat, unless I am away and someone comes round to feed them. The one that was run over can also eat raw bones and cartilage (as it had a mother to teach it).
As I am in Asia, they have to stay indoors. Way too perilous outside in such a built up area.

I found one other two week old kitten that was dumped by someone, but the poor thing died in my hands after 5 weeks. I was devastated at the time.

One thing people should check is their teeth. A diet of dry food rotted some of the teeth of mine and they needed some extractions. Which was one of the reasons I switched their diet to something closer to their natural diet.
I clean their teeth with special pet toothpaste.
My two are very close even though 3 years apart. I think because the original one was brought up with other cats when I found her and was more accepting of the additional kitten.
It wasn't like that with my mum's cats I remember.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2014, 05:00:55 pm »
Don't think our family ever put the cat out, not to say it didn't get out, but we never physically put the cat out for the evening.
Mine would just put him out when they were going to bed, and let him in in the morning. They didn't have their own way of getting in or out, so it was either that or have him in all night and waking them up in the middle of the night to get out. Not really an option. This was in a quiet housing estate with a large garden. The cats knew it was out time, and they didn't mind, though occasionally some of them would try sneak upstairs and hide just before it was time to go out haha.

My cat stays in at night because I just feel safer knowing where he is, and I sleep better. It's not so safe around where I live. We've kind of synched our routines, so it works ok. He comes and goes as he please during the day. It's probably not ideal, because he gets out for a few hours a day, and there's a busy road nearby. I do my best to keep on eye on where he goes, but it's not always easy. He's a smart cat though, and very wary of people which is probably not a bad thing. I'm the only human he lets anywhere near him. He was a wild stray that I took in about 4 years back after he had been hit by a car and broke his pelvis, so he's quite wary of cars too.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2014, 05:06:26 pm »
We've got one of those magnetic cat-flaps, so he can do as he pleases.

The only issue is that when it's raining outside he'll come in soaked and then
wants to jump into bed with us to dry off.

I'd love a cat flap, but I'd be concerned mine would be bringing in rats and mice and birds. He's managed to sneak a few in over the years as I usually leave my back door open when he's out during the day.
He brought in a small rat last week and I spent an hour trying to catch the fucker in the kitchen and get him out.  ;D

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2014, 12:52:34 pm »
I'd love a cat flap, but I'd be concerned mine would be bringing in rats and mice and birds. He's managed to sneak a few in over the years as I usually leave my back door open when he's out during the day.
He brought in a small rat last week and I spent an hour trying to catch the fucker in the kitchen and get him out.  ;D

Ah, yes. Cats do have the odd downside.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2014, 11:03:57 am »
Zanussi ...
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2014, 04:37:44 pm »
A stray cat has given birth to 3 little babies in a shelf in my room, it's been two days and she hasn't come back. I haven't touched them but I make sure that they are safe.

Is it best to leave them where they are and wait for her to come back or call people who take care of abandoned kittens etcetera?
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2014, 04:55:23 pm »
I think if she hasn't come back after two days she isn't coming back.  I'd take them somewhere as soon as you can.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2014, 05:23:42 pm »
A stray cat has given birth to 3 little babies in a shelf in my room, it's been two days and she hasn't come back. I haven't touched them but I make sure that they are safe.

Is it best to leave them where they are and wait for her to come back or call people who take care of abandoned kittens etcetera?

If she hasn't come back in two days then she is very unlikely to be coming back. They get very skittish when they've just given birth and even a small thing might have scared her off.

I'd get the kittens to a shelter as soon as possible as they're probably very hungry indeed by now and possibly starving.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2014, 07:12:06 pm »

I think if she hasn't come back after two days she isn't coming back.  I'd take them somewhere as soon as you can.

If she hasn't come back in two days then she is very unlikely to be coming back. They get very skittish when they've just given birth and even a small thing might have scared her off.

I'd get the kittens to a shelter as soon as possible as they're probably very hungry indeed by now and possibly starving.

Thank you very much for your advice. I have placed them in a cardboard box filled with a soft cotton like material and shifted them to a much safer place. Also, after some research I have found out that feeding them is a delicate process which involves syringes and stuff when they are not being breast fed.

I am totally clueless here again.  :(

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2014, 07:22:43 pm »
Thank you very much for your advice. I have placed them in a cardboard box filled with a soft cotton like material and shifted them to a much safer place. Also, after some research I have found out that feeding them is a delicate process which involves syringes and stuff when they are not being breast fed.

I am totally clueless here again.  :(
Where in the world are you? Aren't there any rescue centres or anything like that? Or even the next vet could tell you were to take them.

Have to say, despite the tragedy of the young lost kittens, I find the idea of a stray cat wandering in your house and just giving birth between your books pretty funny.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2014, 08:32:59 pm »
Where in the world are you? Aren't there any rescue centres or anything like that? Or even the next vet could tell you were to take them.

Have to say, despite the tragedy of the young lost kittens, I find the idea of a stray cat wandering in your house and just giving birth between your books pretty funny.

Yeah I have talked to organizations who take care of such things here but just want to make sure that the mother isn't interested in coming back otherwise it would be devastating for her.

I did find out that they need to be kept warm as they die due to cold than lack of food at this stage so I have kept them in a warm place and hoping that the mama cat comes back and takes care of them. I do know a friend who takes interest in taking care of abandoned little dogs and cats, I will give it to him because I trust him. So, they will be safe IMO barring any unknown complicated health problems.

Actually, in one of the shelves I kept a lot of stuff that's soft and smooth, maybe she found it to be a good place, didn't know when it happened. I was smiling when I first saw them rolling over one another in sleep.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2014, 10:09:51 pm »
I reckon you'll need to take them somewhere very very soon or they'll die. I think they usually feed every few hours, but according to you they haven't had anything for two days now?

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #115 on: July 1, 2014, 10:38:11 am »
I gave them to my friend just today. He has all the equipments (syringes etc.) to feed them and take care of them. Thanks to all for your help.  :wave

I hope that the mama cat won't sue me when she comes back.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2014, 12:39:22 pm »
Our 6 month old kitten is a right pest at the moment.  Jumping on us when we're trying to eat, scratching at the doors at night and in the morning (even if they're open) and generally fannying about at 6am.

We can tire her out so that she goes to sleep when we do but the scratching at the doors is annoying.  It's not that she wants to come in she just likes scratching them.  I'm probably going to start putting the scratching post at the door.  It's either that or trap her in the dining room at night and then let her out in the morning.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2014, 01:01:57 pm »
Our 6 month old kitten is a right pest at the moment.  Jumping on us when we're trying to eat, scratching at the doors at night and in the morning (even if they're open) and generally fannying about at 6am.

We can tire her out so that she goes to sleep when we do but the scratching at the doors is annoying.  It's not that she wants to come in she just likes scratching them.  I'm probably going to start putting the scratching post at the door.  It's either that or trap her in the dining room at night and then let her out in the morning.

She might be stressed - has something changed in the household recently? Do you have another cat?
If not, just as with dogs, you need to ensure there are rules in the house. If she's been indulged at mealtimes as a tiny kitten (always easy to do!) she will continue to cause trouble now she's bigger. It's not too late so start enforcing consistent rules on behaviour with the stern 'No' word and putting her firmly down on the floor. Cats don't much like being stared at, so I have always given the transgressors a hard stare as well as the No - just for second.

This has to be from all in the household and consistently. No giving in when you get the wide-eyed 'Puss-in-Boots' begging look.

Cats are trainable but they will take advantage of any and all lapses of consistency, as well as playing you emotionally if they can.

If stressed, look into fitting some Feliway pheromone dispensers. That helps spread a scent of ease and all is right with the word (in cat senses).
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2014, 01:11:46 pm »
Well assuming your kitten didn't drop on you from out of the sky just now, there should be some background/behavioural/domestic matters in the past six months which might assist in giving advice.  Do you have any information which might so assist?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:15:00 pm by Maggie May »
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2014, 01:20:55 pm »
Welcome back Maggie :wave