Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12299535 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #105680 on: February 3, 2023, 08:38:50 pm »
It’s good to see a decent crowd.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #105681 on: February 3, 2023, 08:39:56 pm »
Ball in the net but offside
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105682 on: February 3, 2023, 08:59:17 pm »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #105683 on: February 3, 2023, 11:17:04 pm »
https://mobile.twitter.com/LewisBower2021/status/1621465256819101698

Surprised no one posted this, Musialowski scored what will end up being one of the best Liverpool goals of all levels this season, very strange the situation with him, if we don’t rate him we should just let him go and allow to build his career somewhere else.

His talent isn’t in question.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105684 on: February 3, 2023, 11:48:32 pm »

Surprised no one posted this, Musialowski scored what will end up being one of the best Liverpool goals of all levels this season, very strange the situation with him, if we don’t rate him we should just let him go and allow to build his career somewhere else.

Has he had injuries? A few years ago it seemed as if he was about to breakthrough and then he dropped off the face of the Earth.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105685 on: February 3, 2023, 11:55:40 pm »
Has he had injuries? A few years ago it seemed as if he was about to breakthrough and then he dropped off the face of the Earth.

Yeah he has to be fair, there’s times he’s been fit though and a couple players have got the nod ahead of him( not the Doaks or Gordon’s of our youth team either), probably a mixture of a few things why he hasn’t kicked on but he did have a knack of picking up injuries at the very worst time in the past.

Timing and chance is as important as anything when it comes to the development of youth players.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #105686 on: February 4, 2023, 02:18:06 am »
Who might be the next CM coming up after Bacjectic and Morton ?

And are any of the young forwards/goal scorers going to come through?.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105687 on: February 4, 2023, 11:41:53 am »
Yeah he has to be fair, there’s times he’s been fit though and a couple players have got the nod ahead of him( not the Doaks or Gordon’s of our youth team either), probably a mixture of a few things why he hasn’t kicked on but he did have a knack of picking up injuries at the very worst time in the past.

Timing and chance is as important as anything when it comes to the development of youth players.

Amen. They live on a knife edge. Such fine lines between those that do and don’t make it. I love a mazy dribble so hope he kicks on. I’ve always wanted a Kinkladze, Juninho (90s one) type dribbler here. Coutinho scratched that itch for me.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105688 on: February 4, 2023, 03:10:58 pm »
Who might be the next CM coming up after Bacjectic and Morton ?

And are any of the young forwards/goal scorers going to come through?.

Bobby Clarke

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #105689 on: February 4, 2023, 03:20:37 pm »
Bobby Clarke

He didn't stand out against Port Vale or Ipswich in the youth cup.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105690 on: February 4, 2023, 03:27:45 pm »
He didn't stand out against Port Vale or Ipswich in the youth cup.

Well the media clearly thought differently to you.

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #105691 on: February 4, 2023, 05:05:18 pm »
Well the media clearly thought differently to you.

Man of the match was he?
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105692 on: February 11, 2023, 10:04:17 am »
U18s Vs Derby is on LFCTVgo at 12.

UEFA youth league draw is on Monday. Possible opponents:
AZ Alkmaar (NED, Domestic champions path)
Borussia Dortmund (GER, Group G runners-up)
Genk (BEL, Domestic champions path)
Hajduk Split (CRO, Domestic champions path)
Porto (POR, Group B runners-up)
Ruh Lviv (UKR, Domestic champions path)
Salzburg (AUT, Group E runners-up)

https://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/draws/

Not sure on the quality on all of them but guess the one to avoid would be Salzburg who seems to do well most years.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105693 on: February 11, 2023, 04:00:40 pm »
u-18 salvaged a point with a last minute peno,were 2-0 down after 20 minutes,they are defo not going well at the moment.Derby are bottom of the table.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105694 on: February 12, 2023, 02:21:22 pm »
u-18 salvaged a point with a last minute peno,were 2-0 down after 20 minutes,they are defo not going well at the moment.Derby are bottom of the table.
Derby may be bottom but they have two games in hand if they win them they actually go above us. That's how bad we are. More goals conceded than scored more losses than wins and knocked out of the cup by Ipswich who aren't even a category 1 academy.

We have had a nice few injuries but still we don't have the talent it seems and just like the senior team we don't invest as much in out academy as much as City, United or Chelsea.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105695 on: February 12, 2023, 02:44:54 pm »
We've had 3 u18 eligible players play multiple first team matches this season, which is ultimately going to decide how successful this age group was in terms of acadmey recruitment/development and not who they got knocked out by in a cup or league finish.

For all the money Chelsea invested they got knocked out the youth cup by a non category 1 team (playing at a lower level than Ipswich and doing poorly in that lower level league) and got knocked out the UEFA youth league in the groups I think for the first time. None of that will really matter if they produce a first team player or two from this age group. Same that no one really remembers or cares about how the u18s did during Trent's time (worse than the teams that followed)

We'll have down years in terms of results for the u18s, as long as it's not long term it isn't likely to be of much worry. And we won't know that for years later unless someone has inside knowledge of the lower age groups

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105696 on: February 12, 2023, 03:21:11 pm »
Derby may be bottom but they have two games in hand if they win them they actually go above us. That's how bad we are. More goals conceded than scored more losses than wins and knocked out of the cup by Ipswich who aren't even a category 1 academy.

We have had a nice few injuries but still we don't have the talent it seems and just like the senior team we don't invest as much in out academy as much as City, United or Chelsea.

This is my opinion too, not sure about how much we spend at that level, but any scout worth their salt at that level will tell you are academy lags behind the ones you named in terms of producing homegrown players, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105697 on: February 12, 2023, 03:27:02 pm »
We've had 3 u18 eligible players play multiple first team matches this season, which is ultimately going to decide how successful this age group was in terms of acadmey recruitment/development and not who they got knocked out by in a cup or league finish.

For all the money Chelsea invested they got knocked out the youth cup by a non category 1 team (playing at a lower level than Ipswich and doing poorly in that lower level league) and got knocked out the UEFA youth league in the groups I think for the first time. None of that will really matter if they produce a first team player or two from this age group. Same that no one really remembers or cares about how the u18s did during Trent's time (worse than the teams that followed)

We'll have down years in terms of results for the u18s, as long as it's not long term it isn't likely to be of much worry. And we won't know that for years later unless someone has inside knowledge of the lower age groups

3 of those players came to our club after 16, one of them has been at our club for about 7 months, i think it speaks to good recruitment but Doak is undoubtedly a Celtic youth product first and foremost and they deserve the majority of the credit for his development as does Newcastle with Clark for example(to a lesser extent).

Chelsea i wouldn't even bring into the argument they have been far away ahead of us in the last 6-7 years in regards to producing players and i mean players that have been at their club since 10 years old like Musiala for example, they're allowed a down year or two, even Arsenal as well to a lesser extent, but at times i think its unfair to compare us to London clubs because of their huge catchment area, at the same time though the flipside is they're competing with far more clubs for players.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 03:29:42 pm by Coolie High »

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105698 on: February 12, 2023, 04:41:58 pm »
3 of those players came to our club after 16, one of them has been at our club for about 7 months, i think it speaks to good recruitment but Doak is undoubtedly a Celtic youth product first and foremost and they deserve the majority of the credit for his development as does Newcastle with Clark for example(to a lesser extent).

Chelsea i wouldn't even bring into the argument they have been far away ahead of us in the last 6-7 years in regards to producing players and i mean players that have been at their club since 10 years old like Musiala for example, they're allowed a down year or two, even Arsenal as well to a lesser extent, but at times i think its unfair to compare us to London clubs because of their huge catchment area, at the same time though the flipside is they're competing with far more clubs for players.
Well yeah, academy recruitment is going to become even more important/expensive domestically with the lack of EU players who can come in at that level. It shows investment in that area has worked well this year so far. I'm not saying we deserve huge credit for developing Doak, but our recruitment team at that level do for getting him in when it's going to be competitive market

Their past level of success doesn't mean anything for their current or future level of players. Certainly not when comparing our current level at u18s which is what I was responding to and I would say they've been trending down longer more so than us, but from a  higher level that was never going to stay at forever.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 04:43:53 pm by Chris~ »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105699 on: February 12, 2023, 07:11:16 pm »

He scored again today in a 3-1 loss.I think his issues have always been that he just doesn't get involved in the games enough,potential a goal of the season but anonymous for huge chunks of a game.If he or the club can sort that out who knows?

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105700 on: February 12, 2023, 11:53:27 pm »
Well yeah, academy recruitment is going to become even more important/expensive domestically with the lack of EU players who can come in at that level. It shows investment in that area has worked well this year so far. I'm not saying we deserve huge credit for developing Doak, but our recruitment team at that level do for getting him in when it's going to be competitive market

Their past level of success doesn't mean anything for their current or future level of players. Certainly not when comparing our current level at u18s which is what I was responding to and I would say they've been trending down longer more so than us, but from a  higher level that was never going to stay at forever.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSecretScout_/status/1619770905756065798?cxt=HHwWjIDT8dHDyvosAAAA

I saw something like this the other day, not that it means much but its not a great sign is it?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105701 on: February 13, 2023, 03:30:28 am »
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSecretScout_/status/1619770905756065798?cxt=HHwWjIDT8dHDyvosAAAA

I saw something like this the other day, not that it means much but its not a great sign is it?

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/01/liverpool-youngsters-win-tournament-joel-matip-once-played-as-a-teenager/

We've had a lot of England representation for England u15s this year, more so than recent years.

As you say might not mean much as ultimately we don't have the knowledge of the younger age groups. I'm sure there was a lot of talk about being down on the youth sides around the Sterling breakthrough and Nexgen results, but then the 96/97 group was pretty good. Then 98-00 again I imagine not as high on the overall group compared to others and then we get 2/3 Fa Youth Cup finals and some really good u18 + UEFA youth league results with the 01-03 group
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:37:04 am by Chris~ »

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105702 on: February 13, 2023, 12:31:28 pm »
https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/01/liverpool-youngsters-win-tournament-joel-matip-once-played-as-a-teenager/

We've had a lot of England representation for England u15s this year, more so than recent years.

As you say might not mean much as ultimately we don't have the knowledge of the younger age groups. I'm sure there was a lot of talk about being down on the youth sides around the Sterling breakthrough and Nexgen results, but then the 96/97 group was pretty good. Then 98-00 again I imagine not as high on the overall group compared to others and then we get 2/3 Fa Youth Cup finals and some really good u18 + UEFA youth league results with the 01-03 group

Yeah to be fair u18 below no one really knows, apart from the u16’s who play up a level like Kareem Ahmed who looks a good prospect as well.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105703 on: February 13, 2023, 04:34:39 pm »
We have a lot of injuries..

Layton Stewart, Oakley Cannonier, Ben Doak, Kaide Gordon, Harvey Blair, James Balagizi, Tom Hill, and Lewis Koumas were all absent, while the young Reds were also without defenders Rhys Williams, Calvin Ramsay, Owen Beck, James Norris, and Isaac Mabaya. Throw in Stefan Bajcetic’s senior promotion, and Jarrell Quansah and Luke Chambers’ loan moves in January and their numbers are somewhat limited.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-youngsters-experimental-attack-midfield-26221463

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105704 on: February 16, 2023, 07:11:53 pm »

Layton Stewart, Oakley Cannonier, Ben Doak, Kaide Gordon, Harvey Blair, James Balagizi, Tom Hill, and Lewis Koumas were all absent, while the young Reds were also without defenders Rhys Williams, Calvin Ramsay, Owen Beck, James Norris, and Isaac Mabaya. Throw in Stefan Bajcetic’s senior promotion, and Jarrell Quansah and Luke Chambers’ loan moves in January and their numbers are somewhat limited.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-youngsters-experimental-attack-midfield-26221463
And now it looks like Ramsay has had surgery on his knee.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 06:40:17 am by dakid »

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105705 on: February 16, 2023, 07:37:36 pm »

This club and injuries at the moment. :-\
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105706 on: February 16, 2023, 07:38:48 pm »

Layton Stewart can't buy a piece of good luck.  :-[

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105707 on: February 17, 2023, 01:19:56 pm »
We have so many injuries even with youth players it is incredible.
Still no sign of Gordon. Doak got a little injury as well.

Our players that go on loan bar Baligizi dont tend to pick up so many injuries.

Needs to be a review throughout the club on our injury prevention & our training loads etc, This is not normal

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #105708 on: February 17, 2023, 01:31:40 pm »
Big shame about the Ramsay injury. He's had a pretty poor record for them all seasons and to have a longer term one isn't ideal. The first season was always going to be limited football anyway you feel, but it's a shame he hasn't been able to get in a few league games, especially with Trent not really playing great football. Hope for next season he can get a decent pre-season in and go again.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #105709 on: February 19, 2023, 06:29:31 pm »
Fantastic to see Jarrell Quansah bossing it for Bristol Rovers.  Have always been excited about him and he is deffo one to keep an eye on.

0-0 for the u21s v Chelsea, Doak is back tho

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #105710 on: February 19, 2023, 06:37:35 pm »
Fantastic to see Jarrell Quansah bossing it for Bristol Rovers.  Have always been excited about him and he is deffo one to keep an eye on.

He's 20 now so definitely time to get first team experience on loan. Potentially someone to keep around the first team next season, if he impresses in pre-season, assuming Williams and Phillips move on.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #105711 on: February 19, 2023, 08:42:10 pm »
It's a shame Sepp van den Berg got that terrible injury, we could really have done with seeing how he dealt with top flight football. Preston fans loved him didn't they?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105712 on: February 20, 2023, 03:46:45 pm »
It seems Alex Ingelthorpe has a son at our academy a forward who is pretty promising and may be one to watch out for in coming years, only 14-15 though.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105713 on: February 20, 2023, 04:07:40 pm »
It seems Alex Ingelthorpe has a son at our academy a forward who is pretty promising and may be one to watch out for in coming years, only 14-15 though.
Wonder if he can pick out a player like his dad.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #105714 on: February 20, 2023, 04:16:55 pm »
I had heard that Djibril Cisse’s son was on Wales’ radar but Dragon soccer reveals not only has he been called up for Wales u15s but also he is on our books.  His name is Prince !

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #105715 on: February 20, 2023, 04:56:43 pm »
I had heard that Djibril Cisse’s son was on Wales’ radar but Dragon soccer reveals not only has he been called up for Wales u15s but also he is on our books.  His name is Prince !

Prince, ye say?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105716 on: February 20, 2023, 04:56:46 pm »
I thought he was older than that. Wasn't he born in 1999?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105717 on: February 20, 2023, 07:09:48 pm »
I thought he was older than that. Wasn't he born in 1999?

Maybe the Welsh FA are getting passports at the same shop as Cameroon did? Although if his kid was born in 2009 not 1999 he'd be o.k.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #105718 on: February 20, 2023, 07:19:41 pm »
He'll end up joining Everton and they'll party like it's 1995

Also is he the hereditary heir to the lordship of Frodsham?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105719 on: February 20, 2023, 07:26:24 pm »

Also is he the hereditary heir to the lordship of Frodsham?

Cisse asking to have Lord Frodsham on on the back of his shirt and the club politely declining is, without doubt, my favourite (possibly not true) football anecdote. Never fails to bring a smile to my face when I'm reminded of it.