Author Topic: Emailed Hacked?  (Read 1720 times)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Emailed Hacked?
« on: March 1, 2016, 03:03:08 pm »
A few weeks ago, I woke up to see over twenty emails on my phone. All of them were 'bounce backs' from email servers that were rejecting an email 'I had sent them' as it believed it to be spam.

I looked at the email that 'I' had sent (from the bounce back footer) and it was something along the lines of this:

Hi!

Check out this link, there's a message waiting for you!

http://somesortofspam.com/spam/spam

Kind regards,

.adam

But it actually used my real name to sign off the mail.

Alarm bells obviously started ringing so the first thing I did was change my email password in case something/body had got hold of my details.

The bot/person had clearly been through the entire history of everyone I'd ever emailed and tried to send this message to them.

After receiving maybe 50 email server bounce backs, things calmed down a bit and I thought it was all resolved.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and they've started coming through again. Over ten today and this email 'I sent' was dated today.

I've checked my sent mail as I use IMAP and my messages are synced across all my devices - no sign of the message being in my sent items.

Can anyone think of something I've missed or can do to stop this? Happy to provide more info. if needed.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Emailed Hacked?
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2016, 03:27:23 pm »

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 1, 2016, 03:51:11 pm »
Thanks, mate. Doesn't quite solve the problem though since I've changed my password in between these breaches.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 1, 2016, 07:11:13 pm »
Sounds like a spoof attack

Off Gmail support...

If you receive bounce messages for mail that appears to originate from your account, you find messages in Spam from 'me,' or you receive a reply to a message you never sent, you may be the victim of a 'spoofing' attack. Spoofing means faking the return address on outgoing mail to hide the true origin of the message.

When you send a letter through the post, you generally write a return address on the envelope so the recipient can identify the sender, and so the post office can return the mail to the sender in the event of a problem. But nothing prevents you from writing a different return address than your own; in fact, someone else could send a letter and put your return address on the envelope. Email works the same way. When a server sends an email message, it specifies the sender, but this sender field can be forged. If there is a problem with delivery and someone forged your address on the message, then the message will be returned to you, even if you weren't the actual sender.

More on lifehacker here:

http://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof-your-email-address-and-how-to-prote-1579478914

Hopefully helps
« Last Edit: March 1, 2016, 07:15:37 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2016, 04:16:07 pm »
I've had exactly the same and was advised that I'd been 'spoofed'.

The problem is that there isn't much you can do to undo it.  Mine continued even after I closed my email account!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 12:56:10 am »
Guys. Please help, as i am stumped

Went to login to Gmail this morning and i was told "your password changed 12 hours ago".   Now this was not me who did it.

When i try and recover my Google account the recovery email and Mobile phone attached to it are not my details.  The fucker has got in and made the account his own. Even setup their own recovery codes

Idiot here didn't have 2FA configured on the google account. Yeah i know, idiot

Anyway, i simply have no way of recovering the account. What can i do?

I cant access google drive and there are literally thousands of family photos on there.  I even purchased 100GB of storage recently, so how do i cancel that so i don't get charged?

I just cant find any way to report this to google the rich ignorant bastards :no

Any advice welcome as i am gutted. Mainly about the photos on Drive.

:wave

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 08:41:23 am »
found this -- https://gmailaccountrecovery.blogspot.com/

Might help?

Also seen a few places mention that Google lets you use your "old" phone number to use as recovery for up to a week after it was changed. So maybe try that too?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 08:54:05 am »
Shite that Pete. I’ve lost access to a gmail account recently too, but don’t think I was hacked. Was one I used for job applications and hadn’t logged in for ages, tried and couldn’t remember the password and it just told me that because I didn’t have an alternative email/phone number it couldn’t reset it for me. So annoying.

None of that helps you I know! And know what you mean about how hard it is to actually try and contact them and speak to someone who might be able to help. Hope you get it sorted.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 am »

Went to login to Gmail this morning and i was told "your password changed 12 hours ago".   Now this was not me who did it.

When i try and recover my Google account the recovery email and Mobile phone attached to it are not my details.  The fucker has got in and made the account his own. Even setup their own recovery codes

I cant access google drive and there are literally thousands of family photos on there.  I even purchased 100GB of storage recently, so how do i cancel that so i don't get charged?

I just cant find any way to report this to google the rich ignorant bastards :no

Doesn't help your case, but I have a Laptop running Ubuntu with Samba which I back my stuff up on.

I also have a cloud backup and I also have three other PCs which I regularly also back up onto.

I can't stress enough - if it's important to you THEN BACK IT UP IN MORE THAN ONE PLACE

Setting up an old PC as linux with Samba isn't very hard and lets you backup stuff on your home network from phones, tablets, PCs and everything else that can access it.

Having cloud accounts as a backup, backup is also a good idea

If you get hit by ransomwear then you just nuke your PC and your data is safe somewhere else.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 02:40:57 pm »
Don't even remember creating this thread :D

Since this post though I have lost my email account with my previous provider - someone gained access to it and closed it down which was a wonderful experience as you can imagine.

I use 2FA all the time now for any accounts of note.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2024, 07:17:58 pm »

I use 2FA all the time now for any accounts of note.

Yep, I'm living and learning here.  I have now changed my login email & password on everything and applied 2FA to everything that gave the option

Andy@A.  Yeah i was using a laptop with a Linux Mint build for years and never had any of this :no

Simple 2FA on my google account would have avoided all this.  Sigh. :(

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 09:38:39 am »
Don't even remember creating this thread :D

Probably because it was the person using your RAWK account before you hacked it and took it over who created it.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 01:37:12 pm »

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6294825?sjid=13123724274583256139-EU
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2024, 02:30:06 pm »
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6294825?sjid=13123724274583256139-EU

Yeah first place went to the other day

Its useless

If my Google account has been taken over and the hacker has placed his/her own 2FA in place, none of that is relevant.  I am fucked.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2024, 06:18:14 pm »
Sorry to hear that mate, especially the photos

Hope you can get it fixed somehow
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2024, 11:48:39 am »
Yeah first place went to the other day

Its useless

If my Google account has been taken over and the hacker has placed his/her own 2FA in place, none of that is relevant.  I am fucked.

have a look on LinkedIn for a UK based customer service/success or head of marketing and tweet at them what's happened.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2024, 02:49:11 pm »
have a look on LinkedIn for a UK based customer service/success or head of marketing and tweet at them what's happened.

I was racking my brain to thing of someone (anyone) i remotely knew who worked for Google.  Alas, i don't know anyone.

Great idea though. WIll give it a whirl. Thanks Claire.