Author Topic: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar  (Read 55206 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar
« Reply #80 on: June 8, 2017, 10:57:25 am »
Which is just fine if we remember the response from outside Bahrain when they crushed the last dissent.

Didn't we sell them some more riot gear and rubber bullets?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2017, 04:35:59 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/15/us-signs-deal-to-supply-f-15-jets-to-qatar-after-trump-terror-claims

So the US is now selling weapons systems to both sides of this quarrel under new deals. I'm sure this will definitely help the situation!

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2017, 05:00:44 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/15/us-signs-deal-to-supply-f-15-jets-to-qatar-after-trump-terror-claims

So the US is now selling weapons systems to both sides of this quarrel under new deals. I'm sure this will definitely help the situation!

Was about to post the same thing. Fantastic foreign policy  :butt

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2017, 05:23:56 pm »
Was about to post the same thing. Fantastic foreign policy  :butt

Sound short-term economic policy though. That's all Trump cares for.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2017, 01:35:03 am »

Further evidence of Frank Zappa's quote about the US government. "Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex"
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2017, 11:00:44 am »

stir up shit.
drum up some business...job done
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2017, 01:28:37 pm »

So the list of demands by the Saudis and Egyptians includes shutting down Al Jazeera...no big surprise there.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2017, 02:06:53 pm »
Can't help but think that the Saudis and the rest have been given carte blanche by Trump to up the tension with Iran by any means necessary.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2017, 02:37:14 pm »
Trump seems to have ok'd it, but there's clearly friction within other parts of the US administration over it. DoD and State Department have been scrambling to find a way to roll it back. Looks like that division between the Bannon/Miller/fruitloop part of the White House and the career professionals who don't see Syria as a gateway into Iran.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2017, 03:08:10 pm »
Not a chance Qatar agrees to all of those demands.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2017, 03:01:58 am »
So the list of demands by the Saudis and Egyptians includes shutting down Al Jazeera...no big surprise there.

Seem to recall that Austria-Hungary gave Serbia a list of demands, that would have been considered unreasonable by them, before the start of WWI.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2017, 09:45:48 am »
Qatar diplomatic crisis: what are Trump's financial links to the region?

Donald Trump’s decision to back the blockade of Qatar – even as US diplomats have sharply criticised the embargo – follows decades of private business dealings by the US president with the countries leading the charge against the small Gulf nation.

Trump’s financial history with Saudi Arabia, which is leading the blockade, and Saudi ally the United Arab Emirates, includes the purchase of tens of millions of dollars in Trump’s real estate properties by wealthy Saudis over the years. The situation raises questions about whether the president’s personal financial relationships are dictating US policy, rather than his stated claims that he is concerned about Qatar’s alleged link to terror financing.

There is no evidence that Trump has been untruthful about his reasons to support the blockade. But the US State Department and the Pentagon – acutely aware of Qatar’s role hosting thousands of US and US-led coalition forces on a large airbase south-west of Doha – have taken different positions from the White House. A State Department spokeswoman recently said that the Saudi and UAE move against Qatar was “mystifying”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/23/qatar-diplomatic-crisis-what-are-trumps-financial-links-to-the-region

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #92 on: November 5, 2017, 07:10:37 pm »

Prince Alwaleed has been arrested.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #93 on: November 5, 2017, 07:31:59 pm »
Seem to recall that Austria-Hungary gave Serbia a list of demands, that would have been considered unreasonable by them, before the start of WWI.

And the Serbs agreed to them. So the German military pushed for more
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 5, 2017, 10:46:54 pm »
The assets or 11 princes and 38 officials have been siezed by the SA govt, and Prince Bin-Muqrin has died in a helicopter ‘crash’.  It seems like there’s a coup.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 7, 2018, 02:40:13 pm »
Saudi Arabia throwing a strop because the Canadian government had the nerve to tweet about the arrest of civil society and women's rights advocates by the Saudi government. Kicked out our ambassador, threatening trade deals, and to pull out the 16000 SA students that come to Canada to study.

Plus a pro-SA government student group has tweeted imagery that suggests a 9/11 style attack for our impudence on commenting on their terrible human rights records.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-saudi-diplomacy-reaction-1.4775545

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/saudi-arabian-group-apologizes-for-posting-image-appearing-to-threaten-canada-with-9-11-style-attack-1.4775509

What a bunch of drama queens.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #96 on: August 7, 2018, 02:55:06 pm »
Saudi Arabia throwing a strop because the Canadian government had the nerve to tweet about the arrest of civil society and women's rights advocates by the Saudi government. Kicked out our ambassador, threatening trade deals, and to pull out the 16000 SA students that come to Canada to study.

Plus a pro-SA government student group has tweeted imagery that suggests a 9/11 style attack for our impudence on commenting on their terrible human rights records.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-saudi-diplomacy-reaction-1.4775545

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/saudi-arabian-group-apologizes-for-posting-image-appearing-to-threaten-canada-with-9-11-style-attack-1.4775509

Drama queens is an understatement. This is the same regime that is responsible for spearheading one of the most damaging ideologies in modern society. It's obvious that their buddy Trump who also has it in for the Canadian (or any dissidents for that matter) has encouraged this. There is nothing progressive about Mohammed bin Salman, he is merely glossing over some of the headline practices such as women driving etc..
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 7, 2018, 02:55:44 pm »

Gang of quims

Doesn't take much to scare those thin skinned fuckers. Just imagine being so terrified of women being allowed to drive, or turn down their advances.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #98 on: August 7, 2018, 06:04:19 pm »
Barbarians.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: August 9, 2018, 08:09:27 pm »
29 children killed in an airstrike on a bus. The Saudi government says it’s action was “legitimate”.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45128367

A horrible war that is going under the radar. How DARE those pesky, weed smoking Canadians meddle in their internal affairs? If the Saudis were smart, they would import the sport  of ice hockey from Canada. It would give them an opportunity to take out some aggression in a controlled environment.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #100 on: August 9, 2018, 10:06:40 pm »
Who, or what country, would be mad enough and heartless enough, to supply these people with the arms to do these heinous acts?.............
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2018, 03:59:45 am »
The major benefit of the Saudi overreaction is it stops a deal we have to supply them with military vehicles. Hopefully Britain steps up and also stops providing them with arms.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2018, 06:42:02 am »
Who, or what country, would be mad enough and heartless enough, to supply these people with the arms to do these heinous acts?.............

The same people that were attacked by Saudi terrorists and so then invaded Iraq?

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2018, 09:44:07 am »
The same people that were attacked by Saudi terrorists and so then invaded Iraq?

You mean under false narrative just so they can have access to the gas lines in that region?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2018, 10:57:46 am »
You mean under false narrative just so they can have access to the gas lines in that region?

Of course! The bastards. Christ I hate the the Fijians.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2018, 11:46:50 pm »
Of course! The bastards. Christ I hate the the Fijians.

Operation Dessert Cibi.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oIxkIWHC_ds&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oIxkIWHC_ds&amp;feature=share</a>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:50:19 pm by Giono »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2018, 11:51:32 pm »
Destroy a couple of towers killling 2900+ people and YOU 2 could also be one of be Americas favourite countries.

Munitions have a sell by date SO USE YOURS TODAY & GET A DISCOUNT ON YOUR NEXT ORDER
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2018, 11:11:22 am »
Will anyone ask her about selling the weapons that just killed kids?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2018, 04:57:56 pm »
Destroy a couple of towers killling 2900+ people and YOU 2 could also be one of be Americas favourite countries.

Munitions have a sell by date SO USE YOURS TODAY & GET A DISCOUNT ON YOUR NEXT ORDER

Only if you have the largest oil reserves in the world and buy lots of arms though.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:59:38 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2018, 07:28:57 am »
I’d love to hear Trudeau answer a question about why Canada is concerned about women's rights activists in Saudi Arabia being jailed, “ Because it’s 2018”:

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2018, 10:54:04 am »
Orla Guerin going dangerously 'off-message' by criticising the Saudi murder-machine

https://twitter.com/OrlaGuerin/status/1030781568799977472

I expect her to get a dressing down from the Minister for Propaganda and Newspeak who now oversees the once independent BBC.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2018, 11:31:30 am »

In one. I feel sick.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2018, 11:36:48 am »
Old news from last week.

Bomb that killed 40 children in Yemen was supplied by the US

The bomb used by the Saudi-led coalition in a devastating attack on a school bus in Yemen was sold as part of a US State Department-sanctioned arms deal with Saudi Arabia, munitions experts told CNN.

Working with local Yemeni journalists and munitions experts, CNN has established that the weapon that left dozens of children dead on August 9 was a 500-pound (227 kilogram) laser-guided MK 82 bomb made by Lockheed Martin, one of the top US defense contractors.

The bomb is very similar to the one that wreaked devastation in an attack on a funeral hall in Yemen in October 2016 in which 155 people were killed and hundreds more wounded. The Saudi coalition blamed "incorrect information" for that strike, admitted it was a mistake and took responsibility.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/17/middleeast/us-saudi-yemen-bus-strike-intl/index.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2018, 12:06:25 pm »
Old news from last week.

Bomb that killed 40 children in Yemen was supplied by the US

The bomb used by the Saudi-led coalition in a devastating attack on a school bus in Yemen was sold as part of a US State Department-sanctioned arms deal with Saudi Arabia, munitions experts told CNN.

Working with local Yemeni journalists and munitions experts, CNN has established that the weapon that left dozens of children dead on August 9 was a 500-pound (227 kilogram) laser-guided MK 82 bomb made by Lockheed Martin, one of the top US defense contractors.

The bomb is very similar to the one that wreaked devastation in an attack on a funeral hall in Yemen in October 2016 in which 155 people were killed and hundreds more wounded. The Saudi coalition blamed "incorrect information" for that strike, admitted it was a mistake and took responsibility.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/17/middleeast/us-saudi-yemen-bus-strike-intl/index.html

Russia was rightly criticised when a missile it supplied was used by pro-Moscow Ukrainian militia to shoot down an airliner full of civilians.

Different circumstances & context for sure, but the complete lack of criticism by the international community toward the US (and other states supplying arms to the Saudi murder-machine) is appalling hypocrisy.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2018, 02:42:25 pm »
Russia was rightly criticised when a missile it supplied was used by pro-Moscow Ukrainian militia to shoot down an airliner full of civilians.

Different circumstances & context for sure, but the complete lack of criticism by the international community toward the US (and other states supplying arms to the Saudi murder-machine) is appalling hypocrisy.

As you say, very different circumstances and context! It was a Russian brigade, not a Ukrainian militia. Not to mention, Russia also lied about it not even being their missile.

I think the US would be far more heavily criticised than Russia were at the time, and following independent investigations, and would probably have fewer defenders than Russian did (the 'it's anti-russian propoganda from us in the west'/'why would Russia do that, it wouldn't be ration - this seems made up by the west' types)

If the above bombing was undertaken by an American brigade on the ground, trying to annex Yemen, I think you'd continue to get US news agencies (like CNN have done in your cited article) reporting on it occurring. The same couldn't be said for Russia.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 02:43:58 pm by Classycara »

Online Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2018, 02:12:28 pm »
Saudi Arabia seeks its first death penalty against a female human rights activist

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/22/saudi-arabia-seeks-its-first-death-penalty-against-a-female-human-rights-activist

Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor is seeking the death penalty against five human rights activists currently on trial in a secretive terrorism court, according to Human Rights Watch.

Among the detainees is Israa al-Ghomgham, whom Saudi activists said was the first woman to possibly face the death penalty for human rights-related work in Saudi Arabia. Charges against her include incitement to protest and providing moral support to rioters.

A disgusting regime.

Saudi Arabia, an absolute monarchy where public protests and political parties are banned, has enacted some high-profile social and economic reforms in recent years under powerful young crown prince Mohammed bin Salman.

These changes have been accompanied by a crackdown on dissent, with dozens of clerics, intellectuals and activists arrested in the past year, including women who had campaigned for the right to drive in the deeply conservative Muslim country. 

The only social change I recall is that they gave woman the right to drive. Not much of a "social change" when you're throwing them in jail and giving them them the death penalty for it.

Remember the time when Time gave MBS their cover and lobbed a bunch of softball questions at him including this one:

And in the same realm of law, human rights groups point to people who they consider political activists who are put in jail or bloggers. Are you sensitive to that subject? You talk about the ideal of freedom of speech

We used to call them — in the ’90s, they used to call Osama bin Laden the same thing and he turned out to be the biggest danger for the whole world. And they call them today the same thing, and we call them the Muslim Brotherhood Party or the Saruris Party or people that are linked to agencies and working for different countries. And in each case, when the investigation ends, we announce the details publicly.

http://time.com/5228006/mohammed-bin-salman-interview-transcript-full/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:14:43 pm by Mimi »

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2018, 03:16:17 pm »
Saudi Arabia seeks its first death penalty against a female human rights activist

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/22/saudi-arabia-seeks-its-first-death-penalty-against-a-female-human-rights-activist

A disgusting regime.

The only social change I recall is that they gave woman the right to drive. Not much of a "social change" when you're throwing them in jail and giving them them the death penalty for it.

Remember the time when Time gave MBS their cover and lobbed a bunch of softball questions at him including this one:

And in the same realm of law, human rights groups point to people who they consider political activists who are put in jail or bloggers. Are you sensitive to that subject? You talk about the ideal of freedom of speech

We used to call them — in the ’90s, they used to call Osama bin Laden the same thing and he turned out to be the biggest danger for the whole world. And they call them today the same thing, and we call them the Muslim Brotherhood Party or the Saruris Party or people that are linked to agencies and working for different countries. And in each case, when the investigation ends, we announce the details publicly.

http://time.com/5228006/mohammed-bin-salman-interview-transcript-full/

Just horrible.

A major problem with the Saudis also is in ascertaining accurate information on the fates of the people they chuck into their jails, the major newspapers locally are subservient to the government and its views, only good for reading what the people in power think, if they at all report on it. That leaves unofficial sources, people on the ground risking a lot to get info out, and beyond that, Arab world centric publications based outside the region, which are usually dependent on even lower quality sources.
It's hard to even know exactly what condition the lady is in now.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2018, 08:41:52 am »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-22/aramco-is-said-to-focus-on-sabic-acquisition-put-ipo-on-hold

This is one of the major issues that will play a part in the direction of the Saudi economy (and by extension affect the political capital of those currently in power) and there have been rumours for a while of the Aramco IPO being cancelled. Better sources today have picked it up.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 7, 2018, 01:53:38 am »
Bet Trump would like to manage the US media the same way.

Saudi journalist 'killed inside consulate' – Turkish sources

Jamal Khashoggi, a critic of Riyadh, had gone to the building in Istanbul seeking documents for his marriage

Martin Chulov - Sat 6 Oct 2018 23.26 BST First published on Sat 6 Oct 2018

Turkish officials believe that missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and his body later driven from the compound.

Authorities say they believe Khashoggi’s death was premeditated and that Saudi officials had travelled to Istanbul from Riyadh after receiving word that the high-profile critic of the current Saudi leadership planned to visit the consulate.

In an evening of quickfire developments, following four days of silence since his disappearance, officials in Ankara pledged to on Sunday release evidence that they say supports claims that the journalist was killed shortly after he entered the consulate to sign divorce papers. The evidence is expected to include video footage and focus on a black car.

Two Turkish officials claimed to Reuters that Khashoggi, 59, had been killed. The Reuters claim was circulated by a government spokesman, and confirmed by numerous other officials, some of whom claimed to have knowledge of how the body had been disposed of. Several officials alleged, without tabling evidence, that Khashoggi had first been tortured.

Officials believe that a team of 15 Saudis arrived on Tuesday to conduct the killing, then left the country soon afterwards.

The president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, is expected to release a statement about the incident on Sunday. Aside from summonsing the Saudi ambassador in Ankara, senior officials had remained mute about the Khashoggi’s fate, leading to speculation that he had been smuggled out of the country with Turkish consent.

The dramatic Turkish claim instead squarely focuses attentions on Riyadh, in particular Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who on Friday denied any knowledge of Khashoggi’s whereabouts. “If he was here, I would know about it,” the 33-year-old heir to the throne told Bloomberg.

“My understanding is, he entered and he got out after a few minutes or one hour,” said Prince Mohammed. “I’m not sure. We are investigating this through the foreign ministry to see exactly what happened at that time.

“We are ready to welcome the Turkish government to go and search our premises. The premises are sovereign territory, but we will allow them to enter and search and do whatever they want to do. If they ask for that, of course, we will allow them.”

Earlier on Saturday, a Saudi official had dismissed claims that Khashoggi was still inside the consulate and said authorities were “very concerned for his safety”.

Khashoggi had been close to the previous Saudi regime, but fled the kingdom a year ago, soon after the new monarch anointed his son, Prince Mohammed, as prince. He subsequently became an outspoken critic of some aspects of the country’s reform programme, especially the clampdown on political freedoms, and intolerance of dissent.

Khashoggi had a regular column for the Washington Post and had also written for the Guardian. He had sought assurances about his safety from Saudi officials before entering the consulate to sign the divorce papers, a necessary step for him to marry his Turkish fiance, who was waiting for him outside.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/06/saudi-journalist-killed-inside-consulate-turkish-sources
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 7, 2018, 04:05:20 pm »
^ poor fella, did you see the reporter that got let into the embassy to investigate and they were showing him inside closets and cupboards - "no he's not in here - have a look - we've got no idea where he is" - funny if it wasn't so deplorable.