Author Topic: Photography thread  (Read 526857 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: Best photo you've taken yourself.
« Reply #3800 on: April 27, 2018, 02:37:18 pm »
Since when has taking a selfie with a phone been classed as photography?

Probably half of the photos ever taken are selfies at this point. All Photography, some of them are even quite good!

You can take great photos with a modern phone. In many ways, it is better than what some of the greatest photographers of all time had available.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Best photo you've taken yourself.
« Reply #3801 on: April 27, 2018, 02:46:02 pm »
All the ones posted above were taken with my iPhone. A few years ago I decided to ditch my camera and stick to using my phone. Now I wasn't using a DSLR or anything fancy like that. For causal photos though I find my phone does the trick.

The portrait mode on the newer iPhone models is quite nice. There seems to be a bigger shift into using built in software to recreate blurred out background effects ect.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3802 on: April 27, 2018, 02:47:36 pm »
Not sure what selfies have to do with trying to take a good picture on a mobile  :o

Making sure your grid is enabled on your phone camera is always a good start, and then making sure whatever your subject is, is on one of the horizontal or vertical lines.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3803 on: April 27, 2018, 02:49:35 pm »
https://youtu.be/HJYaQJa6Qck

May be of interest. This guy posts the best photography blog on YouTube. Well worth a look.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3804 on: April 27, 2018, 03:43:41 pm »
Probably half of the photos ever taken are selfies at this point. All Photography, some of them are even quite good!

You can take great photos with a modern phone. In many ways, it is better than what some of the greatest photographers of all time had available.
If only Ansel Adams was born in 1990 huh    :)

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3805 on: April 27, 2018, 03:47:11 pm »
https://youtu.be/HJYaQJa6Qck

May be of interest. This guy posts the best photography blog on YouTube. Well worth a look.
Fuck me, how bizarre.

Your other post, I quoted it and mentioned Ansel Adams . . . because he's the most famous, olden days photographer I know.  Then I come to this post, click on the link and I'll be damned if it isn't about Ansel Adams.  Mad coincidence   :)

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3806 on: April 27, 2018, 05:22:02 pm »
Fuck me, how bizarre.

Your other post, I quoted it and mentioned Ansel Adams . . . because he's the most famous, olden days photographer I know.  Then I come to this post, click on the link and I'll be damned if it isn't about Ansel Adams.  Mad coincidence   :)

;D ;D
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3807 on: April 29, 2018, 01:41:11 am »
A few from some recent holidays.

Love the colours here!

I love taking photos and thank god for the cameras on smartphones now! I probably wouldn't have invested major sums into photography so the smartphones really help me keep my interest buzzing.

Can anyone recommend good software to re-work photos? I tend to not edit photos much but a couple of edits here and there can make pics look 10x better. I've heard great reviews about Adobe LightRoom. Thoughts?

Some photos I've taken recently with my phone :)

IMG_20171227_173130" border="0 IMG_20171228_114013" border="0 IMG_20180323_192912" border="0 IMG_20180323_202524" border="0

Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3808 on: May 2, 2018, 07:02:51 pm »
Not mine, but a cracker - Osprey caught a shark that had just caught a fish.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3809 on: June 9, 2018, 07:13:14 pm »
Not long gotten into Photography and got myself a facebook page set up.

I'm a complete amateur so any feedback would be incredibly helpful, especially page likes as I want to expand my photography into an extra source of income eventually.

https://m.facebook.com/Jemcphoto/

Over a year now and the page has grew!

Quickly made a little career out of being an event photographer for white collar boxing events and only recently managed to get into the wedding photography.

It's still the little shots that aren't for an event or an occasion that i enjoy the most though.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3810 on: June 10, 2018, 01:15:24 pm »
Love the colours here!

I love taking photos and thank god for the cameras on smartphones now! I probably wouldn't have invested major sums into photography so the smartphones really help me keep my interest buzzing.

Can anyone recommend good software to re-work photos? I tend to not edit photos much but a couple of edits here and there can make pics look 10x better. I've heard great reviews about Adobe LightRoom. Thoughts?

Some photos I've taken recently with my phone :)

IMG_20171227_173130" border="0 IMG_20171228_114013" border="0 IMG_20180323_192912" border="0 IMG_20180323_202524" border="0

On iphone, I used two apps.  VSCO and Snapseed.

On a computer, all you need is lightroom. Adobe offer very generous trials.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3811 on: June 10, 2018, 01:26:36 pm »
Who said anything about selfies?

Do you have to have a posh camera to be a photographer?
Do you have to have top brand paints to be a good artist?
Is a footballer shit if you make him wear Asda footy boots?

Been several great photos in this thread alone that were taken with a phone.

The camera on an iPhone X is better than most early digital cameras were anyway.

Unless you're paying over £500 for a camera body, for most situations an iphone X will do as good a job or better in the right hands.

These were on an iphone 5 ffs:

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3812 on: June 11, 2018, 12:39:29 pm »
Unless you're paying over £500 for a camera body, for most situations an iphone X will do as good a job or better in the right hands.

Wouldn't go that far. I'd take it over 90% of the point and shoot cameras out there, but you can pick up an affordable used dslr for a lot less, and £100 would buy you a bagful of manual lenses that give you far more options.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3813 on: June 11, 2018, 01:18:13 pm »
Been on here for years and don’t know this 😂😂😂 can someone tell me how I upload a picture please?
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3814 on: June 11, 2018, 02:47:56 pm »
Been on here for years and don’t know this 😂😂😂 can someone tell me how I upload a picture please?

Best bet is to upload it to somewhere like photo bucket and then put a link here. If you quote one of the posts containing an image you can see how it's done. Alternatively, just paste in the address of the image, highlight it and click the mona lisa icon up there.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3815 on: June 12, 2018, 03:10:58 pm »
Wouldn't go that far. I'd take it over 90% of the point and shoot cameras out there, but you can pick up an affordable used dslr for a lot less, and £100 would buy you a bagful of manual lenses that give you far more options.

I'd definitely go that far. If I had to for a job, I'd choose an iPhone X for it over the second-hand gear I could cobble together for £500 - I love my manual lenses but they're a pain in the arse too. And when it comes to the new market, I'd choose it over any entry-level DSLR I've put my hands on. It's an incredible camera both optically and sensor IMO.

If you take the £1000 that an iphone x costs, you could easily beat it photographically, but then you can't make calls on your DSLR.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3816 on: June 12, 2018, 03:20:04 pm »
I'd definitely go that far. If I had to for a job, I'd choose an iPhone X for it over the second-hand gear I could cobble together for £500 - I love my manual lenses but they're a pain in the arse too. And when it comes to the new market, I'd choose it over any entry-level DSLR I've put my hands on. It's an incredible camera both optically and sensor IMO.

If you take the £1000 that an iphone x costs, you could easily beat it photographically, but then you can't make calls on your DSLR.

Unless you want any kind of reach, aperture control, modifiers, external lights...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3817 on: June 12, 2018, 05:44:28 pm »
Unless you want any kind of reach, aperture control, modifiers, external lights...

You're getting a body, lens(es), lights, modifiers, triggers and stands for £500?!??

Iphone X has manual control and RAW through a £5 app. It has a really decent F1.8 28mm(eq) lens and F2.4 52mm(eq) lens. Its low-light ability is as good as many entry-level DSLRs I've used despite the tiny sensor.

Anyway, my point is that in the sub-£500 DSLR market (new), there's little or nothing there that I'd say is significantly better than the iPhone X, or arguably even as good. It's also incredibly compact compared to DSLRs and completely intuitive - its literal child's play.

If you're talking 'systems' as opposed to just DSLRs then obviously it doesn't compare. But then, the majority who buy entry level cameras don't usually graduate beyond the kit lens.  If they do eventually buy into the system or take their hobby to the next level, the body is one of the first things to get upgraded.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3818 on: June 12, 2018, 06:40:59 pm »
You're getting a body, lens(es), lights, modifiers, triggers and stands for £500?!??

Could do,  ;) but not necessarily my point. You don't get any of that with the iPhone either, and even if you want to pay more, they simply don't exist.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3819 on: June 12, 2018, 08:15:17 pm »
Could do,  ;) but not necessarily my point. You don't get any of that with the iPhone either, and even if you want to pay more, they simply don't exist.

With respect, that has absolutely nothing to do with my original point which was in reference to the sub-£500 entry-level camera market with their nasty kit lenses. Even at the higher end it can make you pause for thought. We're selling our Fuji XT2 and two lenses (nearly £2k worth of kit) that we bought for personal work (only last August) because our iPhone Xs are doing what we bought it for.

We have half a dozen film cameras, amazing MF and AF glass, high end DSLRs and the latest mirrorless tech, but for non-professional jobs, the iPhone is everything I (and I imagine 99% of people) need for taking great photos. It even negates the need to have a laptop with dedicated editing software - unlike pretty much every DSLR, you can shoot, edit, upload or print all from one device.

Anyway, back to the best photo you've taken yourself...

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3820 on: June 12, 2018, 09:43:11 pm »
With respect, that has absolutely nothing to do with my original point which was in reference to the sub-£500 entry-level camera market with their nasty kit lenses. Even at the higher end it can make you pause for thought. We're selling our Fuji XT2 and two lenses (nearly £2k worth of kit) that we bought for personal work (only last August) because our iPhone Xs are doing what we bought it for.

We have half a dozen film cameras, amazing MF and AF glass, high end DSLRs and the latest mirrorless tech, but for non-professional jobs, the iPhone is everything I (and I imagine 99% of people) need for taking great photos. It even negates the need to have a laptop with dedicated editing software - unlike pretty much every DSLR, you can shoot, edit, upload or print all from one device.

Anyway, back to the best photo you've taken yourself...

Sure, I just don't agree that "most situations" excludes absolutely anything where you want a wide or telephoto lens, or light modifiers of any kind.

Wouldn't be any use for most of my work.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3821 on: June 12, 2018, 11:12:23 pm »
I had my Nikon D3200 stolen whilst traveling and was thinking of upgradding to the D5300. Anyone own(ed) it have any insight on it? Also, I now only have one 35mm lense should I consider changing brands? I was happy with the camera but bought because it was the highly recommended entry level camera.

Here are two photos from Guatemala and Chile

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3822 on: June 17, 2018, 10:30:57 am »
Sure, I just don't agree that "most situations" excludes absolutely anything where you want a wide or telephoto lens, or light modifiers of any kind.

Wouldn't be any use for most of my work.

Work being the key word. I'm talking about beginners and amateurs, not pros. Those that rarely switch a camera to M. For my work I'm using £2k bodies with £1k+ lenses, for non-work it's iphone.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3823 on: June 17, 2018, 12:21:46 pm »
I had my Nikon D3200 stolen whilst traveling and was thinking of upgradding to the D5300.
Nice pix. That's the camera I have - and thejbs will confirm I have no fucking clue how to use it!!!!!!!!!!!! I also have a nice Tamron lens.

If I don't find the motivation to learn how to use either, you're welcome to consider it ;)

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #3824 on: July 9, 2018, 06:55:09 pm »
Took these on my iphone

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlBPdtWhgzA/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkp1RYsB355/

Love the new portrait mode on it :)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3825 on: July 10, 2018, 05:19:36 am »
Took these on my iphone
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkp1RYsB355/

Love the new portrait mode on it :)
How did you manage to take a picture of your iPhone with your iPhone?!

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #3826 on: July 10, 2018, 04:00:31 pm »
How did you manage to take a picture of your iPhone with your iPhone?!

;D

That was someone elses ;)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3827 on: July 10, 2018, 05:09:08 pm »
That was someone elses ;)
Oh, I thought you were much faster than the shutter speed...  ;D 8)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #3828 on: August 14, 2018, 10:25:44 pm »
Still not been using my camera much but here is another astro/milkyway photo taken in shell island this weekend and a couple of others taken in North Wales from the last few months...  LOST IN THE DUNES by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

PENMON HAZE by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

Moon rocks by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

LAST LEGS by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

RHOSCOLYN by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:36:51 pm by LOKKO »

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #3829 on: August 15, 2018, 12:48:07 am »

Bloody excellent photo that mate.
Worth going on the wall
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #3830 on: August 15, 2018, 05:05:53 pm »
Still not been using my camera much but here is another astro/milkyway photo taken in shell island this weekend and a couple of others taken in North Wales from the last few months... 

Brilliant pictures them in a brilliant location too ;)

What camera you using?

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3831 on: August 15, 2018, 05:59:04 pm »
Brilliant pictures them in a brilliant location too ;)

What camera you using?
Canon 6d

Offline CAPS LOCK

• Main Stander
« Reply #3832 on: August 29, 2018, 06:26:13 am »
So I've entered into the world of wet plate photography, this was my second attempt, pretty much all since have been terrible

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline CAPS LOCK

• Main Stander
« Reply #3833 on: August 29, 2018, 06:29:12 am »
Not quite sure what went wrong with this one, possibly underexposed and over developed, but I kinda like how it turned out.

Offline CAPS LOCK

• Main Stander
« Reply #3834 on: August 29, 2018, 06:32:53 am »
Been on here for years and don’t know this [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] can someone tell me how I upload a picture please?
If your using the Tapatalk app to access the forum then you can upload photos directly from your phone

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3835 on: August 30, 2018, 09:41:50 pm »
Still not been using my camera much but here is another astro/milkyway photo taken in shell island this weekend and a couple of others taken in North Wales from the last few months...  LOST IN THE DUNES by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

PENMON HAZE by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

Moon rocks by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

LAST LEGS by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

RHOSCOLYN by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

Excellent photographs LOKKO.

I love long exposures, especially if they have water in them.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3836 on: September 1, 2018, 06:27:49 pm »
Snip
how on earth did you get this good?!

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3837 on: September 1, 2018, 07:37:56 pm »
how on earth did you get this good?!
Baring the rocks and moon photo I had all the photos planned in my head or atleast an idea of what I wanted to shoot before I went out the milkyway one was a hopeful shot I had checked where it ran in the sky and hoped for a clear night when we where on a 3 night family camping trip.. got lucky the weather in Wales is never on my side

Very rarely I just go out and randomly get a decent photo, I'll have something in my head in a location and I'll persist till I get what I wanted there example this was 6-9 trips to Anglesey to get this shot

Penmon landscape by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 1, 2018, 07:45:37 pm by LOKKO »

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #3838 on: September 3, 2018, 12:39:36 pm »

Technically excellent photo. Great editing. Myself I'm awful when it comes to gear and stats and tech - most of my stuff is terrible in this way.

I'm wondering though, wouldn't you get much more out of this if the lighthouse was offset? Placing an object dead center is risking making it a bit obvious and not super interesting. In composition the rule of 3 usually works.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3839 on: September 3, 2018, 12:45:12 pm »
I love the fact it's centered. Not sure I can really explain why, but just think if it was off centre then (for me) it would throw the picture off a little.