Author Topic: One-season wonders  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: One-season wonders
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2021, 07:15:33 pm »
Was going to say Denilson but not sure he ever had a stand out season. Probably mainly remembered for being in an advert.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2021, 07:28:20 pm »
Benni McCarthy if we are just concentrating on premier league, Juan Pablo Angel possibly sneaks in as well.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:33:50 pm by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2021, 07:34:10 pm »
Benni McCarthy if we are just concentrating on premier league

He had a couple of solid seasons given who he played for [Blackburn].

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2021, 07:44:30 pm »
Ruptured his ACL give him a chance to get going again

Nah fuck him.

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2021, 08:00:43 pm »
Anyone mentioned Asamoah Gyan yet? DJ Campbell, Saido Berahino has to be in this list.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2021, 08:01:55 pm »
Chimbonda as another defender. Had a stand out season at Wigan and got a big move to Spurs and then just seemed to slide down the league. Might have been good at Spurs but it was  15 years ago so not going to say I'm sure on this one :D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2021, 08:23:57 pm »
Ben Foster.

Still young enough to come good, though...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2021, 09:12:12 pm »
Was going to say Denilson but not sure he ever had a stand out season. Probably mainly remembered for being in an advert.
But what an advert though. Departure gates have never been so much fun.

That and Betis broke the world record transfer fee to sign him, before Zidane went full Galactico a couple of years later.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2021, 09:22:07 pm »
Januzaj?

Bless you! Hay fever is a killer this year.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2021, 11:19:33 pm »
Sean Dundee, 1 season then you wonder why you bought him

Tony Hateley was our one season wonder, 27 goals then sold
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:23:56 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2021, 11:59:47 pm »
Andy Johnson got 21 goals in his first premier league season, only Thierry Henry scored more. He managed to reach double figures only one more time in his entire pl career afterwards (11 in his first season for everton).

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2021, 12:26:34 am »
Michael Rickets. Scored the winner at Old Trafford. Remember watching it 7pm on The Premiership.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2021, 04:28:21 am »
Danny Drinkwater
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2021, 09:18:32 am »
Andy Johnson got 21 goals in his first premier league season, only Thierry Henry scored more. He managed to reach double figures only one more time in his entire pl career afterwards (11 in his first season for everton).

Yes but that was also the season when he became an Olympic-standard diver. Pretty sure 11 of his goals were from penalties, so the number of open play goals he got wasn't too much more than his seasonal average.

Just looked it up - Palace got 12 penalties that season, with Johnson scoring 11 of them. So a team that got relegated got 12 penalties, whilst no other team got more than 5.

Danny Drinkwater

Could put a fair few of Leicester's title winning team in that bracket. Drinkwater just got found out more than most because he thought he would be good enough for Chelsea.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2021, 09:19:46 am »
Mike Small

West Ham 1991-92

Scored 18 goals good for a team relegated from old First Division that season

Nothing after & career fizzled out
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2021, 09:24:53 am »
Could put a fair few of Leicester's title winning team in that bracket. Drinkwater just got found out more than most because he thought he would be good enough for Chelsea.

Yeah definitely. Him, Danny Simpson, Huth, you could probably chuck in Fuchs and Morgan at a stretch.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2021, 09:58:40 am »
Danny Drinkwater
Great shout, that!  He was probably the first to take reflective glory from Kante's performances (it seemed to take a long time for Kante to be acknowledged outside of Leicester match-going fans!) and I also remember MoTD pundits raving about his passing range.  In hindsight he was just punting balls into space behind defences and Vardy would make some of them look like they'd been sprayed by prime Alonso.

Like Flanagan, he's got England caps against his name that his ability never merited.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2021, 10:09:58 am »
Great shout, that!  He was probably the first to take reflective glory from Kante's performances (it seemed to take a long time for Kante to be acknowledged outside of Leicester match-going fans!) and I also remember MoTD pundits raving about his passing range.  In hindsight he was just punting balls into space behind defences and Vardy would make some of them look like they'd been sprayed by prime Alonso.

Like Flanagan, he's got England caps against his name that his ability never merited.

I think there was a lot of surprise amongst the pundits/conmen about why he didnt go to the Euros that summer. Perhpas the Owl knew what he was doing all along  :)