Author Topic: British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa 2021  (Read 18053 times)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa 2021
« Reply #40 on: May 6, 2021, 01:15:43 pm »
Ray I think Stander retiring might have something to do with him missing out

I can only assume Jonathan Davies is injured as usual

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 6, 2021, 01:16:26 pm »
Why weren’t you picked?

I have my principles...League call up first.  8)

Don't worry. You can look forward to Australia or New Zealand winning the Rugby League World Cup soon.

:D

Australia mate, at least back the winning horse.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #42 on: May 6, 2021, 01:21:18 pm »

I can only assume Jonathan Davies is injured as usual

You and your facts. Get outta here.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #43 on: May 6, 2021, 01:24:16 pm »
Farrell 10, Henshaw 12, Daly 13 is my guess.  Astonished that he picked Aki over J Davies.

Not sure Farrell will be certain to start. He's not had the quality of Rugby many other have this season

Biggar is in fine form so has to be fly, and with him in Farrell isn't necessary for kicking. He will have to prove himself for sure.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 6, 2021, 01:33:29 pm »
Think it will be Biggar, Farrell, Henshaw for 10,11,12.

Daly is there for utility - he's ideal for the 23 jersey if Gatland decides to go for a 6-2 split.

If Farrell is 10 it will be Henshaw Harris at centre.

What a turn around for Harris - even a year ago Scots fans were calling for him to not even be picked for Scotland squads never mind start over Huw Jones.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #45 on: May 6, 2021, 02:16:34 pm »

Stander will head back home in a few weeks after the season's over, will get a phone call after the first game when someone gets injured and ends up playing all the tests as they're just down the road from his farm.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: May 6, 2021, 02:29:37 pm »
Stander will head back home in a few weeks after the season's over, will get a phone call after the first game when someone gets injured and ends up playing all the tests as they're just down the road from his farm.

Jeremy Davidson in 1997 or Martin Corry in 2001 ended up being in the test team due to injuries.

I seem to recall Shane Williams getting called up to play 1 game in 2013 because he was playing in Japan at the time so it was a shorter journey. I'm sure an ex player also was on holiday as a fan for one tour and ended up getting called up. Can't remember who though.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #47 on: May 6, 2021, 02:34:03 pm »
Jeremy Davidson in 1997 or Martin Corry in 2001 ended up being in the test team due to injuries.

I seem to recall Shane Williams getting called up to play 1 game in 2013 because he was playing in Japan at the time so it was a shorter journey. I'm sure an ex player also was on holiday as a fan for one tour and ended up getting called up. Can't remember who though.

Matt Dawson in 97 too. Rob Howley was a cert to start until he injured his shoulder.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #48 on: May 6, 2021, 02:40:04 pm »
'm sure an ex player also was on holiday as a fan for one tour and ended up getting called up. Can't remember who though.

Andy Nicol in Australia, though god only fucking knows how that piece of information is in my brain.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 6, 2021, 02:45:19 pm »
Sexton is on Expedia right now booking his summer safari in Kruger....

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50 on: May 6, 2021, 02:47:30 pm »
Sexton is on Expedia right now booking his summer safari in Kruger....

Closest he’ll get to Lions.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 6, 2021, 02:51:10 pm »
Closest he’ll get to Lions.

;D

I set that one up for you on purpose. Honest.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 6, 2021, 09:21:48 pm »
Was it dropping O’Driscoll that really hurt you? :D

Yeah, when he was dropped on his shoulder in a meaningless game.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: May 6, 2021, 09:35:37 pm »
Union! 30 fatso's massacring the pitch.
As much as I hate the lions I’d rather watch them on repeat for a week straight than watch one half of a league game.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 6, 2021, 09:46:24 pm »
That's okay mate, you've started the conversion process to the superior form.  I welcome you into the fold brother.

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #55 on: May 6, 2021, 10:06:40 pm »
I remember Tom Court being called up as injury cover in 2013 in Oz, mainly due to him staying down the road from where the squad were.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #56 on: May 6, 2021, 10:07:38 pm »
That's okay mate, you've started the conversion process to the superior form.  I welcome you into the fold brother.

I did catch an NRL game the other day as I happened to have the tv to myself for once. Was very decent standard to be fair, tries out of nowhere.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 7, 2021, 12:05:46 am »
Nick, mate you've been teasing the League for a while now. Time to put out and join us fully.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #58 on: May 8, 2021, 06:28:15 pm »
Revised tour schedule to be confirmed later this week, due to covid bubbles and stuff.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2021, 02:40:54 pm »
Lions savaged by South African media: Captain Plod and his hobbits will be slayed by Boks

British and Irish Lions captain Alun Wyn Jones has been labelled an “overhyped plodder” and his team savaged as South African media ramp up the pressure ahead of this year’s tour that includes three tests against the world champion Springboks.

Veteran South African rugby scribe Mark Keohane has ripped into Jones and the Lions squad picked by their Kiwi coach Warren Gatland, writing off their chances of beating the Boks in July and August.

Keohane mocked the Lions squad naming where Jones was beamed in as a hologram.

"It was funny, but not as funny as Gatland’s Lions squad, which many critics felt was a joke,” the highly-opinionated Keohane wrote in his latest column for Independent Online.

“If the virtual Jones, the hologram, is something from the future, then Jones, the real thing, is something from a playing past that is far more glorious than the plodder who will lead the Lions into battle against the world champion Springboks.

"Jones, his 159 games making him the game’s most capped international, should be on pension. His Six Nations performances are overhyped. He was picked on past glories and because of familiarity, having played a decade of test rugby for Wales under Gatland."

Keohane felt Jones was no longer world class.

“He wouldn’t be in the top 10 locks in world rugby. He is well past his best and while his tenacity and longevity is to be admired and applauded, his playing pedigree isn’t what it was. He is a pensioner in locking terms, and it will turn nasty for him on the field.”

Keohane also questioned the Lions’ ability to match the physicality of the Springboks, something which Gatland has raised as essential.

“The rallying cry from within the Lions rugby fraternity is that Gatland is fighting fire with fire, bringing beasts to the republic to conquer the world champion Springboks. But I disagree. Gatland has picked hobbits to be giant slayers, and he has far too many Neville Nobodies in his squad of 37,” Keohane wrote.

He expressed his respect and appreciation for the Lions and their proud history, believing a Lions tour was “bigger than a World Cup” because it only came around every 12 years for each host country.

But Keohane feared for the 2021 vintage.

“Appreciate the tour and bow to the occasion, but don’t put Captain Plod on a pedestal and don’t add to the delusion that this is a team of world-beaters. The famed Lions travelling red army won’t be in the trenches to help these ‘nearly men’ in red playing jerseys grow an extra arm and leg.

“The Lions are in for a whipping before the kick-off in the first test against the Springboks. There is some class among the Lions, with England lock Maro Itoje, the only Lions player I’d pick in a Springboks starting XV.

“Itoje is arguably the best lock in the world, and what a statement it would have made to the majority of South Africans to have a black player lead the Lions in South Africa.

“It would have shattered any perceptions that the Lions are pasty lads from the smaller isles of Britain. We know they aren’t that, and historically you only have to go back to 1974 to know that these lads can play and can physically front the biggest South African man mountain. But that was 1974.”

In a separate column on Keo.co.za, Keohane dished out a bit of discomfort for Gatland who has taken on this assignment while coaching in New Zealand.

“Gatland, who has not not been involved with northern hemisphere rugby (as a collective) since the Lions 2017 tour of New Zealand, has looked to many of his Welsh loyalists from his 12 years as coach of Wales. Gatland’s last involvement with Wales was a 2019 World Cup semifinal defeat against the Springboks in Tokyo, Japan,” Keohane wrote.

“Gatland, since then, experienced a miserable time as head coach of the Chiefs in New Zealand.

“Gatland’s return to New Zealand was very hyped. He was returning to the region he played for all his career and to the province and region he previously coached. The honeymoon didn’t last long and when Gatland took a season out (in 2021) to focus on the Lions, his Chiefs had lost a record number of matches in succession.

“Ironically, since his departure the Chiefs have been resurgent and played the Crusaders in the final of New Zealand’s Super Rugby tournament.”

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2021, 02:58:09 pm »
How very un South African. :D

How do you see it Trumps, as a neutral here. Does he have a point or is he risking having egg on his face. They are always big bastards the Boks.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2021, 03:17:09 pm »
We should have won there in 2009. Dominated for 60 minutes in the 2nd test and threw it away. Won the 3rd test at a canter. Dominated the 2nd half of the 1st test.

Toss of a coin this time. Definitely see it going to the decider. A lot will depend on injuries.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2021, 03:10:50 pm »
How very un South African. :D

How do you see it Trumps, as a neutral here. Does he have a point or is he risking having egg on his face. They are always big bastards the Boks.

Just a reminder, however bad you think the New Zealand media are over rugby, the Saffa media are a whole lot worse  ;D

I am glad, in a way, we haven't been able to play the Boks for a while. I don't think our forward pack are up to much and very few potential new contenders have put their hand up. So yeah, I was surprised Gatland didn't look to at least try and match the Boks up front though in most cases beating the Boks is usually done by being quicker in mind and foot.

I like the balance of representation in the Lions squad. I think the key to their "success" in NZ was that they came together as a squad well. Same again in Saffa land and you'll go close, if not win

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2021, 03:38:45 pm »
The Japan warm up test and the South Africa test highlights to be on Channel 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57090062

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2021, 10:05:17 am »
Revised tour schedule to be confirmed later this week, due to covid bubbles and stuff.

Confirmation. Have to say 5.00pm kick off times is absolutely perfect for summer saturdays. At least it's not getting up at 8.00 on Saturday mornings like the last tour.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2021, 10:10:18 am »
Urgh, those sponsored team names are absolutely shite.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2021, 10:27:06 am »
Urgh, those sponsored team names are absolutely shite.
Cell C Sharks sounds like they're taking on a prison side, Mean Machine-style.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 9, 2021, 03:58:45 pm »
Oh God. A French referee for the 3rd test.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #69 on: June 9, 2021, 07:00:02 pm »
Oh God. A French referee for the 3rd test.
Don't forget how Warburton sweet talked Romain Poite into not giving the last minute penalty to NZ in the last test in '17.  I'm sure Assistant Referee AWJ is already training himself for that eventuality.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2021, 12:22:22 pm »
Lions team vs Japan: Williams; Adams, Henshaw, Aki, Van der Merwe; Biggar, Murray; Sutherland, Owens, Fagerson, Henderson, AW Jones (c), Beirne, H Watson, Conan

Replacements: George, W Jones, Furlong, Lawes, Faletau, Price, Farrell, A Watson.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2021, 07:16:34 pm »
Lions team vs Japan: Williams; Adams, Henshaw, Aki, Van der Merwe; Biggar, Murray; Sutherland, Owens, Fagerson, Henderson, AW Jones (c), Beirne, H Watson, Conan

Replacements: George, W Jones, Furlong, Lawes, Faletau, Price, Farrell, A Watson.

Must be a first not having a single English player in the starting XV for a Lions test against an international team.

Apparently ony 3 of the England contingent were in the squad from the start though and didn't join up late.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2021, 07:39:31 pm »
Must be a first not having a single English player in the starting XV for a Lions test against an international team.

Apparently ony 3 of the England contingent were in the squad from the start though and didn't join up late.

More of a warm up game. The English final is this weekend so would rule out any Exeter (including Hogg) and Quins players. And presume and Sale or Bristol ones would get time off too.

Few Saracens players on the bench, not quite so tired from winning the Championship Play Off against Ealing by scoring 115 points over the 2 games!

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2021, 07:41:58 pm »
More of a warm up game. The English final is this weekend so would rule out any Exeter (including Hogg) and Quins players. And presume and Sale or Bristol ones would get time off too.

Few Saracens players on the bench, not quite so tired from winning the Championship Play Off against Ealing by scoring 115 points over the 2 games!

Aye Farrel and Russell both only just arrived so had to use one for 10 cover, and no other cover for hooker with LCD still with Exeter.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2021, 01:45:28 pm »
The Lions have made efforts to bond while adhering to Covid-19 rules, making the most of a Jersey training camp where they could go paddle boarding or play golf in their spare time.

A tournament of football video game Fifa has been arranged and players from each nation have selected a song for regular "choir practice".

Scotland's Fagerson put forward Loch Lomond, Wales' Wyn Jones chose Calon Lan, England's Courtney Lawes opted for You'll Never Walk Alone and Ireland's Jack Conan went for Wild Rover.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57611768

Is Courtney Lawes a Red?
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2021, 03:15:12 pm »
Looks like AWJ has lasted 7 mins of the “tour”. Just gone off. Looked like a potentially broken arm? Hopefully it’s not as bad as it looks.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2021, 03:21:50 pm »
Looks like AWJ has lasted 7 mins of the “tour”. Just gone off. Looked like a potentially broken arm? Hopefully it’s not as bad as it looks.

Yeah didn't look good at all. The Lions Twitter account reported it as a shoulder injury.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2021, 03:27:52 pm »
Tipuric off as well now.

Hamish Watson and Fagerson got injuries in training pre-match as well...

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2021, 03:28:48 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57611768

Is Courtney Lawes a Red?

Didn’t know that. Quite randomly I’m pretty sure Gregor Townsend is. Saw him outside Anfield years ago.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2021, 03:29:24 pm »
Can any of these fatso's actually run without gassing after 10 metres?