Author Topic: 2021 in Music  (Read 42370 times)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
2021 in Music
« on: January 9, 2021, 10:58:09 am »
New York, Skelmersdale, Paris, Munich
Everybody in RAWK talk about pop musik
Talk about, pop musik
Talk about, pop musik
Pop pop pop pop musik

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Re: 2021 in Music
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2021, 11:04:39 am »
If I could remember how to embed a youtube vid I'd post The Avalanches ft MGMT & Johnny Marrs ditty ' The Divine Chord'

Maybe someone could help an old man cross the road?

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2021, 11:35:02 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/TvZpn322LxE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/TvZpn322LxE</a>

Don't think I can make it work either  ;D
« Last Edit: January 9, 2021, 11:39:09 am by SamAteTheRedAcid »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2021, 11:37:14 am »
It's like it almost wants to do it but I can't see the vid  :'(

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2021, 11:40:17 am »
Talk about, pop musik
Talk about, pop musik
Pop pop pop pop musik

Welcome, fans of new music, who are too old to even work youtube links! Join us!

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2021, 12:00:57 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TvZpn322LxE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TvZpn322LxE</a>

Don't think I can make it work either  ;D
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2021, 01:00:49 pm »
New Kendrick would be nice. The man is an enigma.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 06:51:14 pm »
Talk about, pop musik
Talk about, pop musik
Pop pop pop pop musik

Welcome, fans of new music, who are too old to even work youtube links! Join us!

;D

I didn't get a lot of time to sit down and just enjoy new music last year. For many reasons; there wasn't as much released that caught my ear as previous years, didn't go to the office as much (which is generally where I listen the most), and the Amazon speaker (yes, I'm one of those sad ones that don't have a proper system set up in the digital age) refused to keep a good connection to the sites.

I did take a deep dive into Weezer which are if possible even more of a conundrum than before. Must have listened to dozens of recorded gigs spanning 25 years. One sort of interesting takeaway is that they've become an "old band" and realized that their first 3 records contained 95% of their best work so they just play that live. Also Pork and Beans (part of the remaining 5%) is one hell of a pop song.

Looking forward to what all the gurus and connoisseurs will post this year.  :)
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 09:59:11 am »
Lana Del Rey on social media is a total dumpster fire, but Chemtrails Over the Country Club is a really good album title.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 10:18:57 am »
Lana Del Rey on social media is a total dumpster fire, but Chemtrails Over the Country Club is a really good album title.

What's the deal with her lately?

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 11:03:00 am »
What's the deal with her lately?

She made a bizarre Instagram post about black artists some time last year, then doubled down on that stance when she was rightly criticised for it. And now it seems she's tried to preempt any criticism about the lack of diversity of her friends shown on her album cover by saying her best friends are rappers. She seems incredibly sensitive to trolls and any sort of negative feedback lol. 

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 12:38:40 pm »
She made a bizarre Instagram post about black artists some time last year, then doubled down on that stance when she was rightly criticised for it. And now it seems she's tried to preempt any criticism about the lack of diversity of her friends shown on her album cover by saying her best friends are rappers. She seems incredibly sensitive to trolls and any sort of negative feedback lol.

Wow, what a mess!

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 01:58:37 pm »
I think the first thing on my radar is the upcoming 7th album from Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark is released on 5th March.

A couple of tracks had been available for a little while already - The Turning of Our Bones and Compersion Pt.1:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/f4CN6sxDvr0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/f4CN6sxDvr0</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yI2lNVqBpHk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yI2lNVqBpHk</a>

Though vaguely aware of the band's existence, I'd never actually paid attention until hearing these new tracks.  I think I was actually guilty of having thought that Arab Strap were actually the 'supergroup', The Reindeer Section (to which they did indeed contribute).  Think the confusion stemmed from the band name 'conflict' a bit too.  Will be exploring some of their previous work during this winter.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 03:28:14 pm »
Will be exploring some of their previous work during this winter.

I passed out while watching Arab Strap at Leeds (or Reading, honestly can't remember) probably late 90s early 2000s. The ambulance fella asked me if I was OK and I remember giving him the thumbs up and stayed for the rest of the set. Was grateful that he didn't drag me out of the tent as would have been v embarrassing.

Actually not super familiar with their stuff but Aidan Moffat their frontman put out an absolutely brilliant LP with Bill Wells https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything%27s_Getting_Older which I think is great. I was going to say 'a few years ago' but turns out it's 9 years old. Fucking hell.

Put it on now and already a bit tearful. Piano based albums I listened to around when my kids were born always do this. See also: Bill Fay - Life Is People.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 03:34:10 pm by SamAteTheRedAcid »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 10:26:55 pm »
Just kicked off 2021 in only the way that I could...ordering a pair of albums from 1992 and 2004 (Pavement's debut, and Universal Audio by The Delgados, respectively) ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 09:38:49 pm »
Looks like Ariel Pink is a dickhead.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 08:53:48 am »
Not new music but after years of being offline, The KLF have decided to re-release most of their hits on 'Solid State Logik 1' plus all the clips on YouTube and various streaming sites.

Happy Bloody Days.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 08:15:27 pm »
Sleaford Mods today!

New Pom Poko sounds good on first spin, too.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 12:05:28 pm »
First two albums of my 2021 journey have been downloaded. Zayn Malik and You Me At Six.

I'm fascinated by the One Direction boys; as a collective, they were just typical boy band fare. Inoffensive, easily digestible pop songs aimed towards the teenage girl demographic. But their solo careers have been wildly eclectic. Harry Styles solo stuff has been fantastic, and Niall Horan's last album was a surprisingly good one. Louis and Liam have deservedly tanked, which leaves Zayn, who I think fluctuates wildly between being OK and being terrible. I'm hoping he pulls something surprising out of his new one.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2021, 01:11:25 pm »

Enjoyed hearing these on Six from time to time a few years ago, and I saw them perform a fantastically energetic set supporting Ezra Furman at Manchester's Albert Hall back in the autumn of '19 - I'll be ordering this record at the end of the month; looking forward to giving it a go.

Online Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 01:45:58 pm »
Anyone given Buck Meek's (of Big Thief) new album a go? Nice little folky album with some really nice songs on if you like that kind of thing. 

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 08:02:09 pm »
Sleaford Mods today!

The new Sleaford Mods stuff is awesome - the collaborations add a new dimension to the tunes, plus Billy Nomates is awesome in her own right anyway.

I need to give the Pom Poko album more listens but first impressions very good indeed. Very interesting sounds.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
2021 in Music
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 08:07:13 pm »
My first musical jaw drop moment of 2021 was hearing Lou Hayter’s version of Steely Dan’s Time Out Of Time on 6musuc yesterday - had to stop what I was doing and play it again immediately. Twice.

https://youtu.be/A_PIiWA-w2c

She’s got a new album coming out this year. I’m a big fan - she was previously in New Young Pony Club and a duo with Jean-Benoit Dunckel (from Air) called Tomorrow’s World which I loved though no one else ever seemed to have heard of them... her solo stuff is getting me excited. (She had a single out a while ago called My Baby Just Cares For Me, which was also superb.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:23:52 pm by smutchin »

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 08:54:30 pm »
I am very much enjoying the Skyway Man record but I am confused if this one was released in 2020 or 2021?
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 09:02:34 pm »
My first musical jaw drop moment of 2021 was hearing Lou Hayter’s version of Steely Dan’s Time Out Of Time on 6musuc yesterday - had to stop what I was doing and play it again immediately. Twice.

https://youtu.be/A_PIiWA-w2c

She’s got a new album coming out this year. I’m a big fan - she was previously in New Young Pony Club and a duo with Jean-Benoit Dunckel (from Air) called Tomorrow’s World which I loved though no one else ever seemed to have heard of them... her solo stuff is getting me excited. (She had a single out a while ago called My Baby Just Cares For Me, which was also superb.)

She's been played on Six quite a bit I think - I feel like I've enjoyed her single (presumably the one you make reference to) and perhaps even used Shazam to check it a couple of times.  Will give your link a go, as well as look up a bit more.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 11:28:52 am »
https://suss.bandcamp.com/album/promise

This arrived today from Northern Spy records. Was released in December but was coming from America.

Not only did it somehow dodge the US import tax I've been stung with before, but they threw in a whole extra free LP, Odetta Hartman's 2018 'Old Rockhounds Never Die', and also a bunch of lovely postcards. That's great service.

Record labels matter. Some fucking brilliant ones out there.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2021, 12:13:13 pm »
She's been played on Six quite a bit I think - I feel like I've enjoyed her single (presumably the one you make reference to) and perhaps even used Shazam to check it a couple of times.  Will give your link a go, as well as look up a bit more.

This is the one that got a lot of airplay on 6music when it came out last summer, My Baby Just Cares For Me:
https://youtu.be/4NgfKmLVVUI

And this is So Long My Love by Tomorrow's World, which came out back in 2013:
https://youtu.be/gezhbQQ9L1Y

The album is already promising to be a musical highlight of 2021 for me.

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2021, 04:00:39 pm »
New Sleaford Mods is good. best thing they've done. Not so shouty preachy.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2021, 06:56:50 pm »
Also enjoyed the Pom Poko record, worthy of another listen. Interesting sounds as smutchin said above.

Just finished Isles by Bicep and really into it. The song Apricots is a highlight.
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2021, 12:48:03 pm »
https://suss.bandcamp.com/album/promise

This arrived today from Northern Spy records. Was released in December but was coming from America.

Not only did it somehow dodge the US import tax I've been stung with before, but they threw in a whole extra free LP, Odetta Hartman's 2018 'Old Rockhounds Never Die', and also a bunch of lovely postcards. That's great service.

Record labels matter. Some fucking brilliant ones out there.

This is a lovely record, sir!

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2021, 08:49:32 am »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/AGPdXYG1msg&amp;list=RDAGPdXYG1msg&amp;start_radio=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/AGPdXYG1msg&amp;list=RDAGPdXYG1msg&amp;start_radio=1</a>

Weezer are a weird band. They release complete shite but then make up for it with a catchy tune now and again.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2021, 09:08:21 am »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/AGPdXYG1msg&amp;list=RDAGPdXYG1msg&amp;start_radio=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/AGPdXYG1msg&amp;list=RDAGPdXYG1msg&amp;start_radio=1</a>

Weezer are a weird band. They release complete shite but then make up for it with a catchy tune now and again.

Spot on.  See my more recent Tweet ;D

I tend to just accept them as a guilty pleasure now - sometimes the "complete shite" and the "catchy" are one & the same!

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2021, 09:55:13 am »
Spot on.  See my more recent Tweet ;D

I tend to just accept them as a guilty pleasure now - sometimes the "complete shite" and the "catchy" are one & the same!

Haha quality!  ;D

By "complete shite" I did mean their more recent output of music to be fair. Blue Album and Pinkerton are both superb albums in their own right. I also liked White Album they released a few years ago too, a lot of Beach Boys vibes. Oh and obviously liked the cover of Africa by Toto, too. Fucking hell Weezer, just be consistent!  ;D

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2021, 10:01:55 am »
Haha quality!  ;D

By "complete shite" I did mean their more recent output of music to be fair. Blue Album and Pinkerton are both superb albums in their own right. I also liked White Album they released a few years ago too, a lot of Beach Boys vibes. Oh and obviously liked the cover of Africa by Toto, too. Fucking hell Weezer, just be consistent!  ;D

I thought Everything Will Be Alright in the End back in 2014 was decent too.  Sort of lost track again after that and 'white', which is weird because I was listening to the loads around then - though it doesn't seemed I've missed out on much!

It's a bit like the Bellamy/Suarez thing we'll all have acknowledged in the past - bastards, but our bastards.  You & I can slag Weezer off all we like - not having it from others though ;D

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 12:03:19 am »
Listened to the new Maggie Lindemann EP today. Absolutely loved it. Worth a listen to anyone who's enjoying the pop/rock/metal fusion we've been seeing lately with artists like Babymetal, Poppy or Rina Sawayama.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 04:35:52 am »

This is absolute trash, and I love parts of Weezer (previous post in this thread). This is heinous.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 09:33:48 am »
This is absolute trash, and I love parts of Weezer (previous post in this thread). This is heinous.

I don't think it's so bad, bad. bad...

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 11:14:27 pm »
Local favourites The Coral have announced the release of their eight/tenth (depends how you regard two of them!) album, with double-album Coral Island due for release on Friday 30th April.

Lead single Faceless Angel:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5fpPoaBwtDI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5fpPoaBwtDI</a>

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #38 on: February 1, 2021, 12:20:24 pm »
Been a good couple of days for releases.

Really digging the new Goat Girl and Divide and Dissolve records (the latter defo one for Filler and Chip).

Liverpool's best kept secret, Claire Welles, released her new one today, too, called "Dazed".

Managed to get an interview with her for those interested. http://sun-13.com/2021/02/01/claire-welles-interview-i-enjoy-being-liverpools-best-kept-secret/

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 1, 2021, 12:29:42 pm »
Loving the Madlib and Four Tet album.