Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (was NX)  (Read 111250 times)

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
Re: Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2016, 08:37:09 am »
I don't understand that people are still hung up over resolution. 1080p is more than sufficient. You should be more concerned about the actual games and whether or not its worth your time. That's the most important thing. Always was. Always will be.
I get what your saying mate and it IS about the quality of the games but the visual output is a real issue. I'd be connecting it to a 65" hdr 4K and although 720p wil be perfectly awesome for the on the go gaming side of things it won't really cut it on a big screen which is where I'd be using it 90percent of the time.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2016, 10:22:02 am »
Already got an AAA game missing the launch, Zelda looking like the back end of 2017 now.
AHA!

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2016, 11:51:29 am »
Already got an AAA game missing the launch, Zelda looking like the back end of 2017 now.

What a mess that game is. I'm starting to think we might never see it.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: December 8, 2016, 08:31:58 am »
What a mess that game is. I'm starting to think we might never see it.

Looks like we will. Jimmy Fallon has a go on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ7IUNWGl4&feature=youtu.be

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: December 8, 2016, 09:32:55 am »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 8, 2016, 10:05:07 am »
Yeah I'm going to end up buying this aren't I ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #86 on: December 8, 2016, 10:30:19 pm »
Gotta admit..... that left me a little excited!!
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #87 on: December 9, 2016, 12:48:11 am »
That was very cool.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 9, 2016, 03:44:56 am »
gave me a twitch must admit
choose Life.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #89 on: December 9, 2016, 10:03:00 am »

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: December 9, 2016, 11:21:22 am »
Might be looking at a day one, midnight launch, queue at the ASDA session for me on this. Only done that twice before, for the PS1 and GTA:SA.

I'm all in.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #91 on: December 9, 2016, 02:03:30 pm »
This is the Nintendo platform I have wanted since the snes.

All that power in a handheld.  Hell yes.  I think it will actually get some third party love.  If it can get the same sort of third party support the Gamecube got plus all the Nintendo 1st party goodness then I think we have a winner.

Year 1 looks stacked.  Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Gamecube VC plus the stuff we don't know about.  Japanese third party support will be plentiful. 

There was a leak yesterday which said they are aiming for 5-8 hours on battery.  5 would be great and with USB-C connection this thing can just hook up to a powerbank.

« Last Edit: December 9, 2016, 02:10:14 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2016, 09:28:25 am »
I suspect people wont want to lug around a handheld when they have a phone. Would a phone have enough power to play ocarina of time? If so Nintendo should concentrate on mobile games. Even if they have some sort of certification where gameplay quality is guaranteed on certain phones.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2016, 10:07:06 am »
I suspect people wont want to lug around a handheld when they have a phone. Would a phone have enough power to play ocarina of time? If so Nintendo should concentrate on mobile games. Even if they have some sort of certification where gameplay quality is guaranteed on certain phones.

You can't play games properly on a phone though. There's no controls. I had GTA San Andreas on the iPad but mobile versions of console games are always awful. Nintendo have begun to try mobile games like Super Mario Run but you can't get a full blown game on a phone as they're just no fun to play - unless they're games designed specifically for it, and the lack of buttons.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2016, 12:59:27 pm »

Why not?  I have a phone but it doesn't stop me taking my Ipad out with me.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2016, 11:36:37 am »
So it's confirmed that the master .bin settings for Unreal Engine 4 show the Switch's config to be 1080p / Medium and undocked 720p / low.

Given that it's essentially a handheld device that's really strong performance, although it does somewhat negate the screenshots from the reveal video - especially the handheld Skyrim demo; it ain't gonna look like that.

That said, this is a tech demo of the Unreal Engine running at 1080p / 60fps / Medium settings and it looks absolutely great... (bearing in mind that the Youtube vid itself is uploaded in 720p. Go figure...)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1GLX62OAGOU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1GLX62OAGOU</a>

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 4, 2017, 01:08:16 pm »
Nintendo always innovating. How long until Microsoft and Sony follow suit like they did with the Wii

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #98 on: January 4, 2017, 01:51:24 pm »
Nintendo always innovating. How long until Microsoft and Sony follow suit like they did with the Wii
They all innovate and follow each other, to be fair. And in both good and bad, progressive/regressive ways.

Nintendo tends to try out things a bit different more often perhaps, because they've been in the ideal position to do so. For example, they don't want to have to compete with the others in raw graphical power for 3rd party titles terms, so they smartly take an alternative 'casual' pure convenient gameplay route, and then heavily depend upon their large historic loyal following in Japan and the US to get it into orbit. The Wii popularised motion controls, rather than introduced them. I imagine they might try to do something a little bit different too when they themselves jump on the VR bandwagon again soon, now that PSVR has caused such a sensation in millions of homes.

It can be a bit overstated, to say the least, Nintendo supposedly inventing/perfecting everything to do with videogames. They just tend to do what they do very well indeed, which is admirable and worthy of applauding, but as do Sony really, and as did SEGA in the arcade era before then done fucked it up in the boardroom (much like Commodore with the Amiga on the personal gaming computer side, another superb-but-ultimately-doomed system like the Dreamcast, etc.). I rankle when Nintendo's impressive longevity and pretty brave & smart business decisions are mistaken for them doing everything good that ever mattered.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 4, 2017, 01:57:06 pm »
I rankle when Nintendo's impressive longevity and pretty brave & smart business decisions are mistaken for them doing everything good that ever mattered.

I don't even think they make many smart business decisions - the WiiU was a massive fuckup from start to finish, and I say that as someone who owns it and loves it. Their marginalisation of third parties has scuppered any ambitions they had to be market leader, starting way back on the N64 when they lost Squaresoft's allegiance due to the cartridge based system (even though I still love the fact there were no sodding loading times!). They were lucky the 3DS and Amiibo business has tided them over since the Wii died out and they get another shot - the Switch could well be their Dreamcast yet, if they don't get it right.

Damn those Sega arcade games were sweet, there's still loads of late period ones I've never played a home version of, any from Scud Race onwards really.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 4, 2017, 10:03:06 pm »
They all innovate and follow each other, to be fair. And in both good and bad, progressive/regressive ways.

Nintendo tends to try out things a bit different more often perhaps, because they've been in the ideal position to do so. For example, they don't want to have to compete with the others in raw graphical power for 3rd party titles terms, so they smartly take an alternative 'casual' pure convenient gameplay route, and then heavily depend upon their large historic loyal following in Japan and the US to get it into orbit. The Wii popularised motion controls, rather than introduced them. I imagine they might try to do something a little bit different too when they themselves jump on the VR bandwagon again soon, now that PSVR has caused such a sensation in millions of homes.

It can be a bit overstated, to say the least, Nintendo supposedly inventing/perfecting everything to do with videogames. They just tend to do what they do very well indeed, which is admirable and worthy of applauding, but as do Sony really, and as did SEGA in the arcade era before then done fucked it up in the boardroom (much like Commodore with the Amiga on the personal gaming computer side, another superb-but-ultimately-doomed system like the Dreamcast, etc.). I rankle when Nintendo's impressive longevity and pretty brave & smart business decisions are mistaken for them doing everything good that ever mattered.
Who introduced motion controls then? Because you could go as far back as the Nintendo Glove.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #101 on: January 5, 2017, 01:32:05 am »
Who introduced motion controls then? Because you could go as far back as the Nintendo Glove.

http://segaretro.org/Activator

or

http://www.giantbomb.com/xavixport/3045-132/

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #102 on: January 5, 2017, 02:32:22 pm »
It actually goes back significantly further than that, though. And the 'Power Glove' was a 3rd party peripheral only licenced for use on the NES; Nintendo had no input into its design, manufacture, or release. Plus, it was an absolute bag of shite by all accounts!  ;D

The first motion controller introduced to home videogaming would seemingly be Datasoft's 'Le Stick' for the Atari 2600, which was full of mercury switches rather than accelerometers, and was apparently also quite rubbish in practice. But you still gotta give it due props because it was born in 1981, so it's older than me and - I'd imagine - most of us reading this thread.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-D2DIvFSoRw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-D2DIvFSoRw</a>

The first properly undeniably cool and effective use of motion controls with videogames would likely either be in SEGA's swivelling Heavyweight Champ arcade cabinet with its totally weird and unique boxing glove controllers (the original unit is from 1976!) - which paved the way for their pressure-sensitive carnival punchbag-controlled fighting cabinets - or their legendary mid-'80s full-body-experience stuff like Hang On by the immortal genius Yu Suzuki (Space Harrier, Out Run, After Burner, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, Shenmue...), setting the stage for that awesome run of revolutionary motion-controlled hydraulic cabinets SEGA bestowed upon our arcades in their prime.

There were actually numerous novel motion-sensor peripherals that other (contemporarily) major videogame hardware companies like SEGA - as well as, of course, yer peculiar opportunist 3rd party developers - produced themselves and tested out on the home videogaming market, as SP mentioned there, it's just that the Wii was defo the only one which massively caught on (finally). Good job really, as Nintendo more or less put their whole house on it. The story of games hardware manufacturers is one of risks that paid off handsomely for some, and risks that all but buried others, not so much succeeding 'cause you're the best and failing 'cause you're crap.

Again, Nintendo have been around for a mighty long time, so have been involved in a lot of budding trends, but they aren't at the vanguard of everything strange and brilliant in videogame history. They'll be one of the last to embrace proper VR/AR headsets for one, probably because they're wary of making a huge commercial misstep - if they really were these eternally ballsy innovators of the industry, they would've headed the pack on that, because it's an exciting new platform that opens up a vast wealth of pure gameplay possibilities. They're just sort of quietly watching how it all unfolds before playing their hand, which is probably as sensible as Sony was in observing how the Wii fared before doing something similar.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #103 on: January 5, 2017, 02:59:35 pm »
I don't even think they make many smart business decisions - the WiiU was a massive fuckup from start to finish, and I say that as someone who owns it and loves it. Their marginalisation of third parties has scuppered any ambitions they had to be market leader, starting way back on the N64 when they lost Squaresoft's allegiance due to the cartridge based system (even though I still love the fact there were no sodding loading times!). They were lucky the 3DS and Amiibo business has tided them over since the Wii died out and they get another shot - the Switch could well be their Dreamcast yet, if they don't get it right.

Damn those Sega arcade games were sweet, there's still loads of late period ones I've never played a home version of, any from Scud Race onwards really.
I hope Nintendo don't suffer a similar fate, because they've always been that vitally-important antagonist for me in The Wars.  ;D

It would be boss if SEGA were still valiantly tussling with them and the other big boys; it would just be one of life's silly little constants, a daft young rivalry that keeps you engaged like a kid. I daresay many Nintendo veterans miss that too, and didn't know what to do with themselves once the gloating had washed over. It was a legendary battle, choc full of genuinely brilliant output on either side, relentless oneupmanship and dirty tricks and secret/tacit grudging respect, it had the works. PlayStation vs Xbox just doesn't compare.

A lot of people today don't realise that SEGA were rightful kings of the arcades for a good period, the golden era no less, they just think Sonic was their '90s answer to Mario and it started there. Both SEGA and Nintendo did an incredible amount in their various fields to push videogames forward, to be where it is today. I'm happy that my other team, PlayStation, also have a reputation for advancing shit (popularising the CD [and multi-CD] game format, 3D polygonal and cel-shaded graphics, what PSVR's doing right now, etc.), but SEGA & Nintendo were the grandaddies, the Heihachis if you will.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 5, 2017, 05:03:53 pm »
A lot of people today don't realise that SEGA were rightful kings of the arcades for a good period, the golden era no less, they just think Sonic was their '90s answer to Mario and it started there. Both SEGA and Nintendo did an incredible amount in their various fields to push videogames forward, to be where it is today. I'm happy that my other team, PlayStation, also have a reputation for advancing shit (popularising the CD [and multi-CD] game format, 3D polygonal and cel-shaded graphics, what PSVR's doing right now, etc.), but SEGA & Nintendo were the grandaddies, the Heihachis if you will.

Their arcades were ridiculously good. I had a Saturn for those 'arcade perfect' ports :lmao
Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter (2 was my favourite) Sega Rally...I always preferred Daytona to Ridge Racer even though the graphics on the Saturn were shocking...and VF was allegedly better than Tekken if you were good at it...which I wasn't ;D and Virtual On which blew my mind in the arcades and was a pretty good home conversion I thought.

Never forgotten the day my 40 quid official memory card died and lost my Saturn Sega Rally saves...christ the pain was unbelievable.

I think Sega might still pull themselves out of the mire. They should concentrate on making stuff for nostalgic older gamers like ourselves, they'd make a packet with proper renditions of their classics on modern consoles. Like the Switch, please...

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 5, 2017, 08:05:22 pm »
Their arcades were ridiculously good. I had a Saturn for those 'arcade perfect' ports :lmao
Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter (2 was my favourite) Sega Rally...I always preferred Daytona to Ridge Racer even though the graphics on the Saturn were shocking...and VF was allegedly better than Tekken if you were good at it...which I wasn't ;D and Virtual On which blew my mind in the arcades and was a pretty good home conversion I thought.

Never forgotten the day my 40 quid official memory card died and lost my Saturn Sega Rally saves...christ the pain was unbelievable.

I think Sega might still pull themselves out of the mire. They should concentrate on making stuff for nostalgic older gamers like ourselves, they'd make a packet with proper renditions of their classics on modern consoles. Like the Switch, please...

Virtua Fighter 2 was hands down better than Tekken 2. Only the fact that as a teen with £300 xmas money burning in my back pocket my local independent game store had so sold out of Saturns and I was easily talked into buying the PlayStation that I went down the Sony path. In the early days seemed to have all the cool arcade games. Shame it died a death really.

Offline gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #106 on: January 5, 2017, 10:48:03 pm »
Zelda now likely for launch. In Japan and America, likely not Europe.

Nintendo don't half do things half arsed at times.
AHA!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 6, 2017, 09:46:27 am »

Wouldn't say have arsed, more like odd. I'm doubtful that the Euro release of BoTW will be held back, for no other reason that there is really no obvious reason why it should be. It's not the 90's anymore where things had to be converted to a different htz for it to run on your TV. Strange one, that.

If it launches at a sub 200 price with Zelda and a new Mario game...they might as well be printing money with it. The thing will be another Wii in terms of sales and they'll be hard to get.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2017, 09:07:11 pm »

Hori's accessory list has been released and it includes loads of Zelda branded skins and cases. The key though is that it was released with pricing in Euros. It's believed to be legit and wouldn't exist if Zelda was Pal delayed. It was only localisation that was holding back the release, so it looks like Nintendo have smacked some arses to get it done.

The press conference is just over a day away now. To say I'm excited is something of an understatement.

Offline gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2017, 12:53:38 am »
Pre-orders from Amazon go live 6am. Probably the same everywhere. Limited supply.

Really want to stay up for the reveal and see if there's anything worthy of a day one pre-order.
AHA!

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2017, 05:16:15 am »
As with everything Nintendo it's a meh from me, Nintendo are just so gimmicky now.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2017, 05:17:36 am »
Really want to stay up for the reveal and see if there's anything worthy of a day one pre-order.

I really hope you didn't bother.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2017, 06:34:34 am »
Nah, just glanced through it. Another ball dropped on a console launch it seems.

Third party support again looks weak as piss.
AHA!

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2017, 06:38:43 am »
lmao.

Paid online and a price point of £280 ($300) with no pack in game? I'll be stunned if this works out for them.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2017, 06:51:01 am »
Doesn't sound appealing at all. Underpowered, overpriced, paid online, terrible launch lineup and three hour battery life for zelda.

Nope.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2017, 08:50:59 am »
The console price is high, the game RRPs are far too high (£60 when they're $60, really?), and the accessory prices are just laughable (£75 for the Joy-Con, £65 for the Pro controller).

Waiting for a price drop it is, then. Shouldn't take too long at those prices.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2017, 09:38:22 am »
I'll wait for a price drop and a sexier colour than grey. Would love to play Zelda (last one I played was A Link to the Past), and I'm interested in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »
so disappointed this isn't £200 or less. near £300 for a glorified tablet will not do them good publicity. the switch will sell better than the wiiU but could be the last console they make. can see them sticking with handhelds in the future.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2017, 12:46:55 pm »
That price point will let them down massively. This will be a 'wait until the price comes down Q4 2017' type of console.

Mario and Zelda look good as you would expect. But it remains to be seen just how gamers take to the portable/not portable nature of the console. It better have a decent battery life.

Offline gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2017, 12:59:09 pm »
2.5-6 hours, not great.
AHA!