Author Topic: Routes For Cyclists.  (Read 13137 times)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Routes For Cyclists.
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 04:38:20 pm »
Thanks, Dave. You're welcome....too fuckin hard like? ;D  :P

I was on this route earlier...once again, it's all about familiarity-I use this regularly and I'm not bothered by the traffic.
Haha, ok, I should really say thanks first! :wave

In my excuse, I'm tired and pissed off...its probably not your route, just me being shit. ;D

There was hardly any traffic when I went out, just thought it's not where I'd choose to go when there's traffic. You're right about familiarity - went back from the East Lancs via Whiston and my normal route home, and it felt so much more relaxed ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2016, 11:31:07 am »
Sharado. :wave

I've done a little route around the Black Mountains for you...it's an easy day, not too much climbing, only one I recall is out of Hay on Wye, the distance here pretty short...on mainly quiet B roads and lanes...the A roads are pretty quiet too.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/990788575

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:32:46 am by dave 5516 »
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 02:39:07 pm »
Some routes I've knocked up for the year ahead hopefully.

Cheshire hills https://www.strava.com/routes/4144944
Lakes 1 https://www.strava.com/routes/4175412 (Newlands, Whinlatter, The Struggle, Matterdale End)
Lakes 2 https://www.strava.com/routes/4175499 (Whinlatter, Newlands, Wattendlath, Kirkstone, Matterdale End)
Bowland Badass - https://www.strava.com/routes/4154656 (Is only 267k, but Strava does something strange when creating routes)

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2016, 12:51:58 pm »
Some routes I've knocked up for the year ahead hopefully.

Lakes 1 https://www.strava.com/routes/4175412 (Newlands, Whinlatter, The Struggle, Matterdale End)
Lakes 2 https://www.strava.com/routes/4175499 (Whinlatter, Newlands, Wattendlath, Kirkstone, Matterdale End)
Bowland Badass - https://www.strava.com/routes/4154656 (Is only 267k, but Strava does something strange when creating routes)

Might have a go at parts of some of them in the summer Matt.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 07:12:48 pm »
Quality thread this. Not quite up to the distances outlined so far but hoping to get more length in my rides in the run up to the summer so these will be useful. Cheers

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2016, 08:20:25 am »
Mate I've just seen this!!! Didn't even know this thread existed! Thanks for this, as it turned out - get this - got all the way there and forgot my shoes!! First big journey with the new baby so was always going to forget something. Will check it out another time.
Haha yeah. I'm gonna use that excuse when Dave does me a ride. I forgot my shoes, ah well... [emoji16]

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 02:53:52 pm »
Mate I've just seen this!!! Didn't even know this thread existed! Thanks for this, as it turned out - get this - got all the way there and forgot my shoes!! First big journey with the new baby so was always going to forget something. Will check it out another time.
I pmed you the day I did the route to let you know whereabout it was. ;D

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2016, 09:14:08 am »
A little venture into Wales via Cheshire. An easy day out with a small amount of climbing mainly after Johnstown...the rest of the route undulates at worst.

Re-up spots at Waverton-Bangor is y Coed and Johnstown...from there to Deeside you should be alright for water...if not use a pub, they're normally accommodating....actually,  I was asked if I needed water as I headed towards Minera by a girl stood at her gate...I love Wales.

The roads are quiet...a couple of fast descents...mainly the B 5102 down to Cefyn y Bedd...a couple of tight sharp bends on this too...one is a blind bend too....you will/should be going fast at this point, pay attention. There is a moody roundabout at the jct for the A 494 at mile 72-73...once again-pay attention.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/1043913269/

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2016, 09:24:54 am »
and don't forget to wave to all my cousins when you ride through Caergwrle...

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2016, 09:34:30 am »
Used to mooch around there a lot in my long lost youth.
Lovely area.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2016, 09:44:06 am »
Lovely area.
I've not been there for ages but went often as a kid as that's the village my Ma is from.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2016, 09:48:56 am »
;D  Will do.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2016, 09:49:59 am »
Lovely area.
I love Wales, no better place for a scoot. Some great off roading in the area too.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2016, 09:55:32 am »
A little venture into Wales via Cheshire. An easy day out with a small amount of climbing mainly after Johnstown...the rest of the route undulates at worst.

Re-up spots at Waverton-Bangor is y Coed and Johnstown...from there to Deeside you should be alright for water...if not use a pub, they're normally accommodating....actually,  I was asked if I needed water as I headed towards Minera by a girl stood at her gate... I love Wales.

The roads are quiet...a couple of fast descents...mainly the B 5102 down to Cefyn y Bedd...a couple of tight sharp bends on this too...one is a blind bend too....you will/should be going fast at this point, pay attention. There is a moody roundabout at the jct for the A 494 at mile 72-73...once again-pay attention.

Sounds more like you looked shattered.... :P
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2016, 09:59:43 am »
Sounds more like you looked shattered.... :P
That's a given. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2016, 01:16:33 pm »
Since I had to recover my MMR details anyway to download Dave's route....thought I'd post a nice, flat, easy route for non-mad people....

Did this a couple of weeks ago on a pretty spring day, the first third is off-road and follows the Trans Pennine Trail to Southport, so is well signposted. Its not all tarmac, but the rest is hard packed trail and nice and fast to ride. The route then cuts across some open fields with maybe just a rare farmer driving around, before it goes into bike club country for the only (little) climb in the route. Going back through Whiston is a bit busier, but if you're more from the north part of town, you could just stay on the bike path on the East Lancs instead.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/1044065977/

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2016, 01:17:43 pm »
I've not been there for ages but went often as a kid as that's the village my Ma is from.
Used to live in Penyffordd just down the road for a while when I was a kid, had some good friends from the Caergwrle at school. Lost touch with them as soon as I finished school and went on a slightly mad multi year walk about that ended in South Africa.

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2016, 03:48:41 pm »
Since I had to recover my MMR details anyway to download Dave's route....thought I'd post a nice, flat, easy route for non-mad people....

Did this a couple of weeks ago on a pretty spring day, the first third is off-road and follows the Trans Pennine Trail to Southport, so is well signposted. Its not all tarmac, but the rest is hard packed trail and nice and fast to ride. The route then cuts across some open fields with maybe just a rare farmer driving around, before it goes into bike club country for the only (little) climb in the route. Going back through Whiston is a bit busier, but if you're more from the north part of town, you could just stay on the bike path on the East Lancs instead.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/1044065977/
those roads can be brutal when the wind Picks up, no hiding places!

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2016, 04:24:24 pm »
those roads can be brutal when the wind Picks up, no hiding places!

That is true, going towards Southport always means thinking about the wind direction!

Think it was south-easterly when I did that ride above, cross tail on the way out :)  ....and cross-head going across to Ormskirk....ugh :(. Is only short though.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2016, 04:44:09 pm »

Re-up spots at Waverton-Bangor is y Coed and Johnstown...from there to Deeside you should be alright for water...if not use a pub, they're normally accommodating....actually,  I was asked if I needed water as I headed towards Minera by a girl stood at her gate...I love Wales.

This is nice....takes you into Wales....in spring, when the hedges are in flower and there's tons of baby sheep :)

Dave said the most climbing is after Johnstown, and from the profile it certainly looks that way - but in reality there is already quite a bit before that, the road from Bangor-is-y-coed to Johnstown is raising the whole time, so by the time you reach the road to Minera, it feels more like a false flat. ;D

Most of the descents are fine, however there are some sudden climbs in them so keep your hands on the gear levers ;) ...and lots of corners had water on them today... and it really wasn't a wet day.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2016, 09:13:48 pm »
You know the opening to this route. It's a weekend so it should be a lot quieter.

There's a roundabout at the jct of the 55 and the B 5122....it's a place you'll need to pay attention. From there to the next right it's a tight country roads, as are all the following roads until the A 494 ct at St Peters church.

After you turn off the B 5122 you carry on straight until the end where you turn left, this is a deceptive climb, it's a 40 mph descent and when climbing it does appear to go on..it's not that hard though. From the top into the dip it's pretty wide  and open road, after the crest of the dip it becomes tight and twisty and in places the road surface is lumpy, pay attention.

Take the left at the jct at the bottom and then the right onto the A 541 and first left and that will take you to the church and the climb of the Bwlch. Just follow the route to the A 5104 and descend this to the bottom jct with the A 541. From here to Dob Hill it's pretty quiet.

From Dob Hill to Deeside it's a tad busier with the jct at the A 55 and A 550 and then the jct of the A 494 which is another busy section.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/1074185052/

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2016, 10:10:42 am »
Whats the best app to find cycle routes not road routes on my iPhone?

Bought a hybrid and would like to go for some rides on it but don't know the cycle routes at all and don't really want to do road cycling just yet

Bangor North Wales if anyone has any good routes :)

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2016, 11:59:42 am »

Bought a hybrid and would like to go for some rides on it but don't know the cycle routes at all and don't really want to do road cycling just yet

There's a fantastic cycle path that runs along the coast. Northwards, it goes through some woods first.

Don't use any phone apps, but if you go to google maps and tick cycling, it'll highlight all cycle paths and 'bike-friendly' roads.

As for apps, strava seems to be what everybody uses.

Online BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2016, 07:23:39 am »

Shame you aren't in Newcastle or a 50 mile radius as I know them all.

I ride a BOARDMAN hybrid.

What you got Liam?

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2016, 09:32:44 am »
Shame you aren't in Newcastle or a 50 mile radius as I know them all.

I ride a BOARDMAN hybrid.

What you got Liam?

Cube Nature Hybrid

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #65 on: June 4, 2016, 04:16:44 pm »
If anyone fancies a challenge this summer...this is a Saturday ride...get the first train from Liverpool tp Manchester Piccadilly.

It's a proper ride and should only be contemplated if you enjoy suffering-seriously. There's only two sections with traffic....the Snake is normally a road to be concerned about re traffic but you should be over it before the worlds really awake anyway... the other is the 1.5 miles from mile 60 where you'll be on the A 616, this is tight and busy...it's only 1.5 miles..yet..I hate this section.

After that it's more of what you've already....endured....work,work and more work...that doesn't stop till you're back on the Lancs at Carr Mill....oh yeah...it's also more climbing than is shown on the MMR route....but at 12000 plus...you not gonna be that bothered..you've either got it or...

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/1091094340/

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #66 on: June 4, 2016, 04:19:51 pm »
^^^

The gradients on those maps....they're bollocks too. ;D  There's sections on there that are pretty much in the high teens.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: June 4, 2016, 04:21:59 pm »
If you need an incentive to go to Manc...you know you need one....Northern do tickets for 3 quid now.

Do you mean, I shouldn't try that after work? :P
« Last Edit: June 4, 2016, 04:28:35 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #68 on: June 4, 2016, 04:49:35 pm »
If you need an incentive to go to Manc...you know you need one....Northern do tickets for 3 quid now.

Do you mean, I shouldn't try that after work? :P
I saw that fare a few weeks back...it's normally around £12. I'm thinking of going next weekend on that route.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 4, 2016, 05:06:03 pm »
I saw that fare a few weeks back...it's normally around £12. I'm thinking of going next weekend on that route.
Cheaper than going to Chester.

Not for me that I think...looks horrible. My route for tomorrow has half the amount of climbing. ;D

I've had a snoop on your MMR, I'll nick that short route for getting back from work. Might need to get an early dash though...

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 6, 2016, 09:47:50 pm »
This is where I went yesterday.... stunning views from Panorama Walk.

This is about 120 miles to and from Liverpool...I managed to do 7 more through getting lost in various places...but you could do it from Chester and cut about 55 miles off it. About 80 miles of my route are flat Cheshire - not all lanes, there is the usual bit of the A56, but I guess most are familiar with that anyway.

The interesting bits start once you see the first araf on the road...go into Bangor is y coed and out to Johnstown....bit of climbing up the hill. You could stay high here, and continue directly on to the Panorama Walk, but I wanted to cycle about the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, so a quick Dave-type descent down (twisty little lanes where you pray there's no oncoming traffic ;D), cycle over the aqueduct 8), and then back up the hill....

Panorama is fantastic, the views are worth every little ramp on that road. One word of warning, there is a ford on that road (one of the reasons I went ;D ), so it might be a bit more difficult when there's a lot of water. Yesterday (after a dry week) it had only an inch of water and was no trouble at all. Once up the few steep ramps after the ford, you're on top of the hills for fantastically quiet riding...to the end of the world ;) There's a nice descent off the hill, very open and quiet.

You'll end up in Minera, from then on you're back on proper roads with traffic, but it's mainly quiet - this is the same course as Dave has described here. After getting back to Queensferry, I went on the Chester Greenway, a bike path with great tarmac that takes you right across and back out to Mickle Trafford, where you go back on the A56. Obviously you could also catch a train from Chester, or ride over to Capenhurst/Birkenhead.

This is the edited route, not including my little detours....or the bit of footpath with gates my original MMR route had me do...

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1102992338

And just to temp you a bit, here are some pics:

« Last Edit: June 6, 2016, 11:35:43 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #71 on: June 6, 2016, 10:09:39 pm »
About fuckin la....and miles...FFS!!!

Nice write up J. :wave

I don't really dig Worlds End...some nice scenery but the road surfaces are shite...I'll throw up some nice climbs in the same area sometime this week...some nice descents too.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #72 on: June 6, 2016, 10:13:06 pm »

I don't really dig Worlds End...some nice scenery but the road surfaces are shite...I'll throw up some nice climbs in the same area sometime this week...some nice descents too.
And I'd add to what J says-boss gaff to visit...on foot or by bike.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 6, 2016, 10:20:56 pm »

I liked it, loved the view, and the surface wasn't too bad I thought - think there were only one or two places where you really needed to pick your line when climbing because of loose gravel/rutted surface, the rest was fine. It was very dry and nice obviously, might be different with water/mud/leaves on it

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #74 on: June 6, 2016, 10:24:58 pm »
I liked it, loved the view, and the surface wasn't too bad I thought - think there were only one or two places where you really needed to pick your line when climbing because of loose gravel/rutted surface, the rest was fine. It was very dry and nice obviously, might be different with water/mud/leaves on it
We ride the opposite way...it's more downhill, isn't it.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 6, 2016, 10:30:49 pm »
We ride the opposite way...it's more downhill, isn't it.
Which way? To be honest, I couldn't tell which way is more downhill - I was knackered and everything felt uphill.... large portions of it look flat.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #76 on: June 6, 2016, 10:40:01 pm »
Which way? To be honest, I couldn't tell which way is more downhill - I was knackered and everything felt uphill.... large portions of it look flat.
Into Pentredwr.Down over the ford.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 6, 2016, 11:27:24 pm »
Into Pentredwr.Down over the ford.
Profile attached - from the A539 towards Minera. The ford is after the dip in the middle, before it ramps up more. Don't think it's very accurate though.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2016, 11:29:25 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2016, 07:01:15 pm »
Tomorrow I'm heading over to Winter Hill and Edgeworth and back via Bolton ,Gathurst and Billinge.

Winter Hill starts just after you cross the reservoir...it's around 10% in places in the opening. It get's conkier when youy come out of the tree line and onto the hill itself..has a max of around 13% near the top. It's onto the carpark and then descent down to Rivington...it's a good descent with open lines..be aware though, a cyclist died on this descent last year.

After that there's a climb at the 26.7 point...this rears up like a mofo...19-20%...it's only short though.

After this point the roads pinches to a single track and as the road turns to the left there's a sharp descent with a tight right hander where the road rears up again....another climb with ramps of 20% on it.

After this it's onto Edgeworth and Affington. The descent of the Tottington road from Affington is a 40/45mph one...pay attention. Through Bolton..it's a typically busy city centre. After this point it's mostly quiet roads that most of you will have already ridden till you reach the end of the route at Kirkby.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/936726565

Did this today...only half a year late, but...

Thanks Dave :wave

Have to admit, not my new favourite place to go....nothing to do with the hill, but found it very busy. On a Sunday, don't know what was going on. Might be worth leaving at 4am or so to avoid the traffic. It only calmed down once past Standish and the nice quiet lanes of the West Lancs. :)

As for the climbing....Winter hill is fine, at least its pretty. The next 10 miles after that are just torture....up, down, up, up some more.... ;D

If you follow this with GPS and are as clueless about the place as I am - something is wrong with the route in Bolton (I think, or maybe Dave was on a mean day when he put it together).... at one point (just after mile 38), it makes you go down a footpath with 5 inch ruts and half-bricks as gravel....steep and on a camber too....couple of kissing gates in it, before you end up in some housing estate that looks like you don't wanna draw attention to yourself... still on a footpath, going through underpasses and criss-crossing a canal/river. I lost the route there and was close to just going home, when a sign popped up that offered a way back onto the right track. Glad to make it into Standish, it's nice after that. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:04:52 pm by Alphonso Porkchop »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2016, 02:25:05 pm »
That as my mistake, J.

I wasn't paying attention when I did the route. MMR tends to go onto bike paths automatically and I didn't look to make sure. I'll amend it for the next time you do it. ;D