Author Topic: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2  (Read 66051 times)

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2012, 01:56:03 pm »
Can't remember the level. Quite a lot. I tried to get my endurance up so I could wear better armour. I haven't played since Sunday afternoon.

I just done the bloke with the 2 dogs.

That would be Capra Demon, so you're still pretty early on in the game.

What would you classify as a lot?  Most people that play the game for PvP are at or around the SL120-125 range.  If you're just beating Capra, I can't imagine that you'd be too far past SL30-35.

Depending on your soul level, I wouldn't worry too much about armor.  It's better to be able to move quickly that it is to have marginally better protection.  Until you get the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR or Flip ring as you may see it in other places), I would try to keep my equip burden under 25%.  Once you get the DWGR, you have faster movement speed and the fast roll is replaced with a ninja flip with the added benefit that the equip burden for that faster movement is no 50%*.  The Ninja flip is also nice because it has invinvibility frames which allow you to Flip through people's (or the computer's) attacks.

A good strategy for character development is to level Str/Dex to whatever level you need to wield your weapon of choice, and then focus on Vitality and Endurance.  Upgrade your weapon to Lightning/Fire or Chaos (for Chaos to be better than fire, you'll need 10 soft humanity, as a general rule).  This should give you enough hitting power until you get enough souls to start moving towards a quality, dex, strength, faith or INT build.

Let me know if you have any questions on any of this stuff; I've spent way too much time playing both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

*Unless you're playing the PC edition.  If you are, they nerfed DWGR so that it requires 25% or below.

Offline HighFocused

• Main Stander
  • Praise the sun!
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2012, 08:33:40 pm »
DLC is up on UK PSN now!

Goodbye world.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:56 pm »
Umbasa!

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2012, 02:06:57 pm »
That would be Capra Demon, so you're still pretty early on in the game.

What would you classify as a lot?  Most people that play the game for PvP are at or around the SL120-125 range.  If you're just beating Capra, I can't imagine that you'd be too far past SL30-35.

Depending on your soul level, I wouldn't worry too much about armor.  It's better to be able to move quickly that it is to have marginally better protection.  Until you get the Dark Wood Grain Ring (DWGR or Flip ring as you may see it in other places), I would try to keep my equip burden under 25%.  Once you get the DWGR, you have faster movement speed and the fast roll is replaced with a ninja flip with the added benefit that the equip burden for that faster movement is no 50%*.  The Ninja flip is also nice because it has invinvibility frames which allow you to Flip through people's (or the computer's) attacks.

A good strategy for character development is to level Str/Dex to whatever level you need to wield your weapon of choice, and then focus on Vitality and Endurance.  Upgrade your weapon to Lightning/Fire or Chaos (for Chaos to be better than fire, you'll need 10 soft humanity, as a general rule).  This should give you enough hitting power until you get enough souls to start moving towards a quality, dex, strength, faith or INT build.

Let me know if you have any questions on any of this stuff; I've spent way too much time playing both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

*Unless you're playing the PC edition.  If you are, they nerfed DWGR so that it requires 25% or below.

it's been nerfed in the console versions as well after the latest update

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2012, 05:11:52 pm »
it's been nerfed in the console versions as well after the latest update

Yep.  I knew it would be; I just didn't know when the update was coming out.

I'm excited to experience the PVP now.

Offline JonnyDubb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2012, 07:13:04 pm »
The new DLC for the XBOX version. It it everything that's in the new PC version? It just says Artorias The Abysswalker.

Offline HighFocused

• Main Stander
  • Praise the sun!
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2012, 11:20:11 pm »
^ Yes mate it's everything.

Offline bosnian brigade

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • In the age of information ignorance is a choice
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2012, 02:01:54 pm »
Was playing dark souls from the beginning 2 weeks ago in preparation for the DLC. Beat the whole game in 27 hrs finished the day before the DLC came out. Foolishly beat Gwyn, not knowing that you need to be at a certain point in the game to do the DLC. Was not pleased when I found out lol. Did it on NG+ and got to the DLC yesterday and beat it in 4-5 hrs. Love it , tons of souls and loving the spells. Manus was a bitch though

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #168 on: December 8, 2012, 03:20:48 pm »
Still playing this. I'm soul level 80 and do nearly 500 damage per swing and just got to Lost Izalith. These MASSIVE monsters just die in like 2 swings and previous bosses just fell so fast. I killed that bog wolf without taking much damage or dying once... takes quite a lot of the edge/excitement off playing the game when I'm this powerful.

I just got loads of souls by grinding upgrades for all my gear, so when I went to tackle the bosses I was annihilating them...

Also Dark souls 2 announced.

http://kotaku.com/5966785/dark-souls-ii-is-coming/gallery/1?tag=dark-souls

http://kotaku.com/5966805/dark-souls-ii-introduces-a-new-hero-a-new-world-new-multiplayer-and-a-new-game-director?tag=dark-souls
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2012, 07:03:44 pm »
Most of the challenge of the game past a certain soul level is in PVP.  You should try some of that.

I've not played in a while, but I'm sure that the Burg is still active.  If you've killed Taurus Demon, you'll have to invade, but when you go into NG+, just hang out in the square before the bonfire.

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #170 on: March 2, 2013, 09:28:07 pm »
So I picked this up after enjoying Demon Souls. Anticipated you know, being better at it, cause I'm more experienced? Hell no, turns out I've just got worse. Spears aren't quite what they were in Demon Souls and so my style has had to change - and because the world is so open, you can run into a large variety of things that quite happily maim the hell out of you.

So I got past the Gaping Dragon after lifting my curse (the curse was horrendous, the dragon quite easy to be honest), and struggled, painfully through Blighttown, losing tens of thousands of souls on the way, almost hurling at the sight of those bloated spidery things, and finally I'm out. Outside new Londo, going along the cliffs, go to get some items lying around... and the extremely decayed looking dragon playing dead near said items headbutts me to death.

I love this game.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: March 5, 2013, 12:55:25 pm »
Dark Souls is a brilliant game.

Apparently, they're working on a sequel.  Hopefully they stick with what made Demon's Souls and Dark Souls great and don't mainstream it.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #172 on: April 6, 2013, 12:54:25 am »
Just completed this. Had a quick runthrough of the AotA section before my first try of Gwyn. Managed to kill Artorias after about 6 trys, then i made it downwards to Manus and clicked a summon screen and easily killed him in the first go, shame really as I love getting those hard kills. Loved every minute of this game and I might start a NG+. I feela  little overpowered as my attacks were doing a lot of damage with my black knight halbred 5+, I'd say about 300 per hit. Only boss I haven't killed is Gwndolin and that dragon in AotA.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2013, 05:20:33 am »
Maybe Fish77 can make this Dark Souls & Dark Souls II thread title.

New gameplay footage of DSII

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/04/10/dark-souls-2-gameplay-reveal-12-minute-demo

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/04/16/everything-you-want-to-know-about-dark-souls-2

I want this game!  It looks incredible and looks like FS haven't screwed up the formula too much (since the head director left). Highlights for me were the improved archery while moving and graphics look amazing. Loved the way you can repel the incoming axes as well, reminds me of zelda!

Hopefully some effort will be put into the PC port by the devs, but the modding community has already sorted DS1 out so it's not my major concern.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2013, 12:54:31 pm »
The head director didn't leave.  He was removed.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2013, 04:40:19 pm »
looking good so far, as long as they keep the formula true to dark souls & demon's souls and don't try to get too gimmicky i'll be happy

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2013, 04:48:12 pm »
The head director didn't leave.  He was removed.

Really? Any reasons, can't be anything artistic related surely.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2013, 05:17:11 pm »
Miyazaki is still there but acting as a supervisor, the development team is more or less the same that worked on the previous games but the directors are new to the series

in the interview i've read it's a bit difficult to tell if he stepped down or was pushed as he makes a couple of conflicting statements about who appointed the new directors, he's also said he's overseeing the switch from peer to peer to server based network play and is making sure the game is ready once released instead of relying on patches to fix things

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2013, 05:38:37 pm »
Hopefully Dark Souls 2 will be more of the same. Immensely difficult, immensely frustrating death after death but immensely satisfying beating it.

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2013, 10:06:34 pm »
I got rung the bells. And I went into the castle aniticipating having a relaxing time as part of my reward. To this day, I have no idea why. Albeit, it was yesterday. I survive into the very top of the castle, dodge vast firebombs, struggle to survive... and then I fall down a pit five stories and die.

Why do I struggle. Why do I suffer.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2013, 12:54:56 am »
Cant waiting for DS2! I'll probably take a week off work!  :lickin

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2013, 06:58:12 am »
Dark Souls sales figures:
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2013, 07:38:22 am »

Dark souls 2 12 min demo with IGN, looks sweet!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbtf3ng6kGk

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #183 on: April 12, 2013, 11:57:35 pm »
Did I see dual wielding ?

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2013, 01:10:46 am »
Yeah, looks like they are going to make it a real option this time, with more ways to attack with two weapons.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2013, 08:42:10 am »
Blocking by crossing your swords would be great.
Obviously it would only work against certain weapons.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2013, 10:55:59 am »
Anyone follow this guy on youtube? He's got a shit load of excellent Demon & Dark Souls vids. Here's his take on DS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY_r8T6Es54

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2013, 08:56:13 pm »
I hope they notch up the difficulty even more on the second one. Seriously, cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2013, 10:06:39 am »
Thinking of getting this for the 360.  It's only 960 points for me (Hungarian Store)

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2013, 07:04:13 pm »
Thinking of getting this for the 360.  It's only 960 points for me (Hungarian Store)

You wont regret it, just say goodbye to the outside world for a few weeks/months!  :D

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2013, 07:55:24 pm »
Got this new from blockbuster for a tenner before. Not played it at all. Went through the tutorial. Nearly shat when that massive thing fell through the roof. I thought 'reading' paused the action apparently not. My clubbed head testifies to this as well.

Quick question - at the very beginning, I come out the asylum and there's a broken set of steps leading to a floating orb that I can't get to. Nearby text says 'Deadend' and one says 'secret'. Am I supposed to be able to get up there?

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:22 pm »
Depends on whether you trust those messages, as they're left by other players. There are often notes left at the edge of a cliff that say 'roll forward'   and are just being sneaky. Can't remember there being any useful stuff in the starting area. You can get a decent sword and shield from the valley of the drakes though.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:23 am »
Can't remember the bit your talking about but there's once you leave the undead asylum there's a way of goin back and picking up more stuff from there so might not be something you can get at first.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2013, 12:27:37 pm »
Quick question - at the very beginning, I come out the asylum and there's a broken set of steps leading to a floating orb that I can't get to. Nearby text says 'Deadend' and one says 'secret'. Am I supposed to be able to get up there?

You will be able to pick it up at a later time when you make a return to the place. Keep asking questions if you want, I will try and keep checking your progress. :wave

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2013, 06:09:35 pm »
Can't remember the bit your talking about but there's once you leave the undead asylum there's a way of goin back and picking up more stuff from there so might not be something you can get at first.

it's in the area where the knight is who gives you the estus flask, if you come out of his cell and turn left & follow the path round you come to the broken stairs, can't remember what the drop is but it's not possible to get until you've found a key later in the game

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2013, 08:31:35 pm »
Awesome, cheers - Just got to firelink shrine, got absolutely battered by a couple of skeletons that looked like they were from Jason and the Argonauts. It's quite tense because one slip with the shield or missed parry opens you up to be sliced in two swipes. Good game though.

Just trying to read what to level - having read the descriptions I quite fancy a spear later in the game so is dexterity, vitality and endurance ok to spec for?

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2013, 09:27:43 pm »
I'd go with vitality, endurance, and strength when leveling up to SL 30 or so!

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2013, 09:29:05 pm »
Oh, and go up the hill at firelink shrine At first. The rest can wait for later! :-)

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2013, 09:56:39 pm »
Awesome, cheers - Just got to firelink shrine, got absolutely battered by a couple of skeletons that looked like they were from Jason and the Argonauts.

Oh, and go up the hill at firelink shrine At first. The rest can wait for later! :-)

You can also just try going every which way, die and learn the right way, but yea, up the hill is the way to go. ;)

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2013, 10:22:28 pm »
I was trying to be nice!  ;D