Author Topic: Putting on weight/muscle  (Read 213806 times)

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Putting on weight/muscle
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2011, 02:02:02 pm »
I'm currently like 10 1/2 stone and about 6.1ft and I'm going to start going to the gym this week.  My arms are basically sticks and my belly, is not fat but has no muscle either and a wee bit of flab.  My legs are alright since I ride about 40 km a week on the bike.

When I start in the gym what's the best for improving my arms/chest and how should I start off, times on each machine per week etc?

Cheers

http://www.simplyshredded.com/10-nutrition-rules-for-beginners-never-ignore-the-importance-diet-plays-in-achieving-a-great-physique.html

Diet over everything is the start.

Read the above article, revise it make it your bible.

Now have you ever done any weightlifting before? What are you looking to do? need specifics and i'll help you.

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2011, 02:13:08 pm »
http://www.simplyshredded.com/10-nutrition-rules-for-beginners-never-ignore-the-importance-diet-plays-in-achieving-a-great-physique.html

Now have you ever done any weightlifting before? What are you looking to do? need specifics and i'll help you.

I'm in a similar situation to him, been going the gym for 6 months - currently 6ft 1 and 11st 2. Put abit of weight on in the gym but nowhere near enough, really want to bulk up. Generally doing split-workout 4x a week. Taking 1 protein shake per day (Impact Gainer from myprotein), and i just got round to sorting my diet out.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »
Is it possible/advisable to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2011, 03:12:33 pm »

Generally speaking they are polar opposite goals as well as in terms of what is required, so no, is the simple answer.

To gain muscle you need to be in a calorie excess, whereas to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit. It is nigh on impossible to do both at the same time so you need to decide what your goal is. Is it to gain muscle or to lose weight?

If you are brand new to weight training and are trying to lose weight (i.e. are in a calorie deficit) then you may notice some muscle gains early on as a result of being new, but it will be minimal and it won't last. Likewise you can minimise fat gain whilst bulking by keeping your diet clean and maintaining some cardio, but again, the chances are in order to gain muscle you will also gain an amount of fat in the process.

Good article, that. Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:51:20 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2011, 05:19:34 pm »

No I've never been to a gym before and I'm starting this week hopefully at this one (If I finish can finish my coursework, which is what has been putting me off from going)

http://www.thegymgroup.com/gyms/liverpool/take-a-tour/

I don't plan on body building, just want to 'tone up' and keep fit. If I can get a little bit of muscle showing in my arms/chest then it'll be job done but don't know how to start.  Think i'll spend like an hour lifting weights in my first session then be out injured for like a month.

I've also had no experience in lifting weights or using any machines other than an exercise bike before. 

Where should I start basically.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:22:17 pm by DanFromMars »
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2011, 05:52:05 pm »
Advisable, the majority of people would say no.

Possible, absolutely - its what i done first of, but your diet has to be spot on; just eat like a beast, train to your limits and throw a 20 minute high intensity run on the end of your work out.
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2011, 06:25:04 pm »

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2011, 06:26:47 pm »
No I've never been to a gym before and I'm starting this week hopefully at this one (If I finish can finish my coursework, which is what has been putting me off from going)

http://www.thegymgroup.com/gyms/liverpool/take-a-tour/

I don't plan on body building, just want to 'tone up' and keep fit. If I can get a little bit of muscle showing in my arms/chest then it'll be job done but don't know how to start.  Think i'll spend like an hour lifting weights in my first session then be out injured for like a month.

I've also had no experience in lifting weights or using any machines other than an exercise bike before. 

Where should I start basically.

Okay well you want your chest + arms?

You want to look in portion so work a bit of everything.

Try the following:

(BB means Barbell)

The first number 3/4 is number of sets second is number of reps say 10 (10 reps).

Monday - Biceps + chest

Bicep exercises:
Hammer Curls 4x8
EZ curls (Barbell Curls) 4x8/3x10

Chest:
BB Bench
BB Incline
BB Decline

Above mentioned 3 x 5 most important to building a good chest

Cable machine flys - 3 x 10
Dips 3x8

Tuesday - Shoulders and Triceps

Shoulders:
Front Raises DB
Lateral Raises DB
Rear Delt Rows DB
3 x 12-10 (Important to building good shoulders)

BB military press or DB military press.
3x8 - heavy work here.

Triceps:
One arm cable pulldowns - 3 x 12
Skullcrushers - 3 x 8
Reverse Arm tricep Pulldown 3 x 12

Wednesday: DAY OFF

Thursday: Backs + Traps (triangle muscle on neck).

Back:

BB Rows - 4 x 8
Wide grip pullups - 3 x failure
Wide grip pulldowns
Close grip pulldowns
Behind neck pulldowns

Above mentioned 3 are important and are done on a machine where you are sat down and there is a long bar above you and you just alternate so close grip hands close together. Behind the neck bring the bar behind your neck then back is up a red. Wide grip is just a grip wide enough for your arms and targets your lats.

Traps:
BB shrugs - 4 x 10-16 do work on these
Plated Shrugs - 4 x failure (20-25)

Plated shrugs, grab a 20kg weight and just shrug them, don't roll your shoulders just bring up to your neck and back down.

Friday: LEGS (DREADED DAY BUT YOU WILL LOVE THESE)

Quads:
Back Squat or Front Squat - 5x5

Front Squats target your quads more and Back squats target your legs in general. I do either for 6 months and then alternate.

Leg Extension - 4 x BURNER ( 16-20 reps )
Lunges - DB or BB - 4 x 8 ( You will struggle with these after above).

Hamstrings: Hamstring curls with the machine if you have one (should have). 4 x 10 or 3 x 12

Calves: Calf raises in the smith machine is a good one if you don't have a calf machine.

-----------------------------------

That is what i kind of basically did for 6 months and i have been lifting for 2 years now with only one major injury which has lead me to not lift for 4 months now. I know my shit when it comes to this.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2011, 07:06:16 pm »

i was told it was impossible by the fella training me to be a personal trainer. yet iv managed it, the big secret... staying off the ale.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2011, 07:51:29 pm »
What ever a personal trainer says is mostly bollocks.

They don't really care about you, they do the same thing everyday and you pay stupid amounts of money.

There thinking about the next client half of the team.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2011, 07:51:50 pm »

So has anyone heard of or done the P90x workout?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIpSoMgTsaw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P90X

Yeah, stay away.

It's not so good seriously.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2011, 11:47:28 pm »
What ever a personal trainer says is mostly bollocks.

They don't really care about you, they do the same thing everyday and you pay stupid amounts of money.

There thinking about the next client half of the team.

Have you even had a personal trainer? what are you basing that on? or just taking one persons account and then taring them all with the same brush?
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline LFC Jim

• Kopite
« Reply #172 on: March 1, 2011, 12:10:26 am »
Go get some protein. Make sure its has a high protein percentage and you will be right. Eat lots during the day, but make sure its not just filthy maccas or take away.

Lift heavy and you will see results.
Bring Back Sami.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: March 1, 2011, 11:58:49 am »

Yeah, stay away.

It's not so good seriously.

Where did you hear this?

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: March 1, 2011, 01:12:37 pm »
To the above questions,

No im not basing it on one person, go to a gym and watch personal trainers.
Ive spent 2 years in the gym, actually 3rd year now but im injured. They are always watching other people and don't give two craps about your gains.

P90X isn't a good program, you may want to look at Madcow 5x5 or Bill Stars 5x5.

I have also spent 5 years on bodybuilding.com and know a hell of a lot through my own independent research.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: March 1, 2011, 02:02:25 pm »
To the above questions,

Ive spent 2 years in the gym, actually 3rd year now but im injured. They are always watching other people and don't give two craps about your gains.

P90X isn't a good program, you may want to look at Madcow 5x5 or Bill Stars 5x5.

I have also spent 5 years on bodybuilding.com and know a hell of a lot through my own independent research.

How long did it take you before seeing noticable change in your body?

I've been going since November around twice a week after going on and off for two years, im lifting much heavier weights than i could when i started,  and in terms of appearance my chest and back are definitely more defined, my arms still need a lot of work but in general im interested in how long will it take to really bulk up?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: March 1, 2011, 02:17:30 pm »

hmmm going from forum you mentioned (bodybuilding.com) about p90x seems a lot of people are saying it's very good. We're not talking Schwarzenegger here just adding some small gain and "cutting"....seems to be a perfect workout for overall fitness and with heavier weights and less reps can get most people where they would like to be

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: March 1, 2011, 02:34:46 pm »
The first photo was in 2010

The second photo was in 2007.

I spent a year just going to the gym doing nothing really and knuckled down on my knowledge on making great gains.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: March 1, 2011, 02:36:24 pm »
hmmm going from forum you mentioned (bodybuilding.com) about p90x seems a lot of people are saying it's very good. We're not talking Schwarzenegger here just adding some small gain and "cutting"....seems to be a perfect workout for overall fitness and with heavier weights and less reps can get most people where they would like to be

Oh yes i thought you were on about adding mass.

Well in that instance yes go for it, you can do what you want in all fairness. I was unsure on what you were aiming for.

You could do gym full body workout 3x a week 10-16 reps which is for endurance, toning and on the off days say Tues/Thurs do an hour of cardio.

I did this and it worked well.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: March 1, 2011, 03:30:04 pm »
Oh yes i thought you were on about adding mass.

Well in that instance yes go for it, you can do what you want in all fairness. I was unsure on what you were aiming for.

You could do gym full body workout 3x a week 10-16 reps which is for endurance, toning and on the off days say Tues/Thurs do an hour of cardio.

I did this and it worked well.

yeah sorry, not always clear when people say "gain weight" there is soooooooooo many variation. thanks for help though

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 1, 2011, 04:16:27 pm »
To the above questions,

I dont need to watch them. i am one.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: March 1, 2011, 04:52:49 pm »
I dont need to watch them. i am one.
ahhhh, ya mad bastard!

good results there mate, wana smash ya bis and tris and you'll be sorted.
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: March 1, 2011, 07:04:05 pm »
ahhhh, ya mad bastard!

good results there mate, wana smash ya bis and tris and you'll be sorted.

You know it C!
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Sim6

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #183 on: March 1, 2011, 07:22:49 pm »
3 Exercises to learn correct form and technique for are the squat, deadlift and Bench press. Learn these and make them the spine of your workout.

Offline Sim6

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #184 on: March 1, 2011, 07:31:56 pm »

I spent a year just going to the gym doing nothing really and knuckled down on my knowledge on making great gains.

What supps are you using mate?

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #185 on: March 1, 2011, 07:54:32 pm »

Yes. Although certain publications tell you it cannot be done, I believe it can as it’s something I have done almost every year for the last 5.

I personally have a tough time keeping the weight off, it’s a constant struggle. However every January I hit the gym with a plan of losing the 2 stone of fat I have accumulated in the previous few months of inactivity, slobbery and gluttony. Usually the motivation to do this is a summer holiday. Frustratingly I stop after my hols, gain the weight again....and then the routine starts again!!

I am not a big fan of cardio training, so I tend to avoid this until the last few months before I go away. When I start my training routine I start off with a weight training program of two body parts per session, 3-4 different exercises, 2 -4 sets and a varying rep range. I concentrate on the big core movements like, pressing, squats, rows etc. Usually I try to train at a high intensity with a weight I can manage without poor form creeping in, however now and then I will throw in a light weight, and high rep range exercise. 

During this training routine I totally alter my diet.  I pay very careful attention to my carb intake and ensure I fuel up as and when needed (i.e. before and after training) I also eat a massive amount of protein, particularly in the form of whey and casein drinks (Gold Standard whey is the best imo) eggs, chicken, all lean meats etc. All fatty foods, bread, processed foods etc are instantly eliminated.  In the last 2-3 months I start on the cardio and hammer the cross trainer and bike with interval training routines for approx 2 hours at a time. I still keep with my weight routine but tend to focus more on lighter weights, full range of motion and higher rep range.

« Last Edit: March 1, 2011, 10:33:37 pm by Kopite B205 »
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #186 on: March 1, 2011, 08:13:08 pm »
So I went for my first gym go today, got an induction on how to use the equipment tomorrow but though I'd give it a little go today.

Each thingy I used I had people coming over and telling me I was doing it wrong :D

Sore all over now and only did like 15 minutes, but gonna do another 15 mins tomorrow.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #187 on: March 1, 2011, 08:16:00 pm »
So I went for my first gym go today, got an induction on how to use the equipment tomorrow but though I'd give it a little go today.

Each thingy I used I had people coming over and telling me I was doing it wrong :D

Sore all over now and only did like 15 minutes, but gonna do another 15 mins tomorrow.

If you feel pain now, you feel it even more tomorrow...and even more the day after that. What you have done is torn muscle fibres that you have probably never used before. Don't re-train the same area tomorrow, rest and allow for muscle growth.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #188 on: March 1, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »
If you feel pain now, you feel it even more tomorrow...and even more the day after that. What you have done is torn muscle fibres that you have probably never used before. Don't re-train the same area tomorrow, rest and allow for muscle growth.

Oh right ta la.  I feel like tired and there's a very dull but sharp pain somewhere like when the dentist drills and hits the nerve in your teeth, somewhere in my neck or spine.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: March 1, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »
What supps are you using mate?

Don't use any supplements all food.

If your are getting pain and people saying you were doing it wrong, it could be bad pain not muscle soreness.

Offline mikeinsheffield88

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #190 on: March 2, 2011, 12:36:34 am »
I put this in the RAWK Fitness thread but I have only just noticed this thread which is probably more appropriate;

Im looking for a bit of fitness advice if anyone could help?

Im 22 years old, 6ft 2 and 182lbs (no idea of bodyfat percentage). I have been going to different gyms on and off for several years. It normally happens in increments of about 4-8 months training then a couple of months off and then repeat the 4-8 months when I start to feel guilty about not going, etc. Currently I go to a boxing gym where I box 4 times a week (Mon - Thurs), I really enjoy it and want to improve my boxing. I also do weights 3-4 times a week working one or two muscle groups each time with heavy weights and low reps as I used to do when adding mass (relatively successfully) previously, this is often before or after the boxing class (which is obviously cardio intensive).

In terms of diet I am rather confused as whether to eat for bulk or just eat normal so I generally eat;

Brekkie - porridge, fruit, protein shake
Lunch - meat, veg, lentils, brown rice/ pasta
After training - meat/ fish , veg, protein shake

My 3 goals are to;

a) improve my boxing
b) add overall muscle mass
c) lose the bit of fat below my belly button so I can see a proper set of abs

My questions are;

Are my 3 goals counter-productive?

Many people say you cant add mass without adding a bit of fat, in order to lose that body fat on my lower abs is it possible whilst gaining muscle mass? I enjoy boxing so don't plan on giving it up but I think I will find it difficult to achieve all three of my goals and in which case which shall I aim for first? Add mass and strip down and if so for how do you keep that stripped down physique, or lose the bit of fat and then add mass in which case surely I will regain that fat?

I don't have anywhere to do vertical leg raises as shown earlier in the thread and neither does my boxing gym so what are the other best lower abs exercises with little or no equipment?

I have been told about the supplement CLA which supposedly helps burn fat whilst retaining muscle, has anyone tried it and if so did they get results?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #191 on: March 2, 2011, 09:44:19 am »
In terms of diet I am rather confused as whether to eat for bulk or just eat normal so I generally eat;

Brekkie - porridge, fruit, protein shake
Lunch - meat, veg, lentils, brown rice/ pasta
After training - meat/ fish , veg, protein shake

My 3 goals are to;

a) improve my boxing
b) add overall muscle mass
c) lose the bit of fat below my belly button so I can see a proper set of abs

My questions are;

Are my 3 goals counter-productive?

To be honest, I think you need to focus on one of b) or c). I'm sure you could improve your boxing whilst doing either of the other two so theres no need for you to give that up, but to lose body fat and gain muscle mass at the same time is extremely difficult (near on impossible), especially to the extent that you would possibly need to reduce bodyfat by to reveal your lower abs (the area below the belly button is typically the hardest area to lose on a male).

Personally I would say gaining mass first would be the way to go, followed by a cut to strip the fat. If you do it the other way around, as you mention, then your likely to work to lose the fat, then reverse at least some of that work in looking to gain mass (which will likely result in some fat gain as well). On the plus side, if your looking at gaining mass and keeping up the boxing at the same time, then you should be able to minimise your fat gains due to the cardio you'll be doing. Just make sure your eating plenty to cover that though and still leave an excess of calories and nutrients to allow yourself to grow. And that brings us to your diet...

If you going to go down that route (gaining mass) then I think you need to have a review of your diet. It looks like your eating a good range of foods, but I would suggest looking at the times that your eating, and the number of meals your eating during the course of a day. Portion sizes will come into it as well if your looking to add mass because you will need to eat a lot. There's a good article about diet that was posted a page or so ago by FernandoSusoLFC, take a look at that for some tips on where to start.

[EDIT]: Here it is:

To be honest, you answer most of your questions yourself in your post so I'm guessing you kind of know yourself what you need to do, your just looking for some confirmation.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2011, 09:55:38 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: March 2, 2011, 10:48:23 am »

Nice gains FernandoSusT? lol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #193 on: March 2, 2011, 07:13:58 pm »
To be honest, I think you need to focus on one of b) or c). I'm sure you could improve your boxing whilst doing either of the other two so theres no need for you to give that up, but to lose body fat and gain muscle mass at the same time is extremely difficult (near on impossible), especially to the extent that you would possibly need to reduce bodyfat by to reveal your lower abs (the area below the belly button is typically the hardest area to lose on a male).

Personally I would say gaining mass first would be the way to go, followed by a cut to strip the fat. If you do it the other way around, as you mention, then your likely to work to lose the fat, then reverse at least some of that work in looking to gain mass (which will likely result in some fat gain as well). On the plus side, if your looking at gaining mass and keeping up the boxing at the same time, then you should be able to minimise your fat gains due to the cardio you'll be doing. Just make sure your eating plenty to cover that though and still leave an excess of calories and nutrients to allow yourself to grow. And that brings us to your diet...

If you going to go down that route (gaining mass) then I think you need to have a review of your diet. It looks like your eating a good range of foods, but I would suggest looking at the times that your eating, and the number of meals your eating during the course of a day. Portion sizes will come into it as well if your looking to add mass because you will need to eat a lot. There's a good article about diet that was posted a page or so ago by FernandoSusoLFC, take a look at that for some tips on where to start.

[EDIT]: Here it is:

To be honest, you answer most of your questions yourself in your post so I'm guessing you kind of know yourself what you need to do, your just looking for some confirmation.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I suppose I am looking for confirmation, there is so much information on the internet about fitness, gaining mass and stripping to abs but half of the time they are trying to sell you something so it's not always easy who to know is right and what to trust. I will read that article later after boxing and reply with a more detailed response.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #194 on: March 2, 2011, 10:48:04 pm »
Everytime I click that link my computer crashes? Thanks anyway though

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #195 on: March 2, 2011, 11:16:34 pm »
Everytime I click that link my computer crashes? Thanks anyway though

Here it is mate:

10 Nutrition Rules For Beginners: Never Ignore The Importance Diet Plays In Achieving A Great Physique

Bodybuilding is all about simplifying things.

With the dedication and effort required to stay muscular and lean, the last thing you need is for the details to be overly confusing. Take your diet, for example. We could go on and on about fat-soluble vs. water-soluble vitamins, the different types of saccharides and all the intricacies of gluconeogenesis, but what would be the point? It would just complicate the matter and get you no closer to the body you want. So let’s break it down to the nuts and bolts, to just the vital information you really need to build more muscle and become leaner than ever before.

The key is a series of rules, a list we call the 10 Nutrition Rules for Beginners. Follow all 10 and not only will you not be bogged down with scientific jargon but you’ll also be well on your way to a bigger upper body, better abs and a massive set of wheels. How’s that for simple?

#1 Have A Meal Every 3 Hours

Mass-building boils down to nutrient delivery, and nothing beats eating every 2-3 hours, which works out to 6-8 meals a day. Frequent feedings ensure a constant influx of protein, carbohydrates and essential fatty acids required to maintain an anabolic state. Following the three-hour rule, you should eat at least the same amount and up to twice as many carbohydrates as protein at most meals, along with a smaller amount of healthy fats at most meals (more on specific macronutrient intake in later rules). Because you’re eating every three hours, don’t overstuff yourself; keeping each meal relatively small enhances nutrient absorption while simultaneously allowing you to sidestep gains in bodyfat.

“Eating smaller, more frequent meals creates an environment inside the body in which blood sugar levels don’t elevate and drop as drastically as when you eat fewer larger meals,” says Justin Harris, NPC amateur bodybuilder and nutrition consultant (troponinnutrition.com). “Elevated blood sugar levels cause the body to increase insulin production in an attempt to store that sugar for later.

When insulin is present, fat-burning is blunted. Lowered insulin levels and steady blood amino acid levels (a product of eating relatively small, frequent meals throughout the day) help fight against this situation.”
#2 Load Up On Protein

A meal should never go by without a sufficient amount of protein being consumed. To maximize muscle-building, you’ll need to consume at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. (This means 200 grams of protein daily for a 200-pound person.) In order to provide your muscles with a continuous influx of amino acids the building blocks of protein throughout the day, you’ll divide your daily protein by the number of meals you consume. For example, if you eat six meals per day, 200 grams of protein divided by six meals would mean at least 30-40 grams of protein per meal.

Your main protein sources should be lean animal sources, such as chicken, beef, turkey, fish, eggs and dairy (more on red meat and fish in later rules), and, as with your training regimen, variety is crucial.

Sticking to the same one or two protein sources each day may not be as effective as mixing it up and including the widest array of protein sources available. “There’s a phenomenon in the body called the all or nothing principle, in which all amino acids must be available for proper utilization of digested protein,” Harris says. “Many proteins can be made by the body; those that cannot are called essential amino acids and must be derived from nutritional sources. You’ll need to mix various sources of protein to ensure that all essential amino acids are consumed.”
#3 Hydrate Yourself

The importance of drinking plenty of liquids goes beyond the obvious benefits of staying hydrated; at a much deeper level, it’s all about pushing more water into muscle cells. The more water that’s inside muscles, the better they’ll function and the greater their strength and size capacity. “The consensus in the bodybuilding community is that high water storage within muscles helps act as an anabolic factor,” says Chris Aceto, nutrition consultant to Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler and author of Championship Bodybuilding and Everything You Need to Know About Fat Loss (available at nutramedia.com). “This allows the muscles to maintain a positive nitrogen balance, which directly impacts muscle growth.”

And if you’re supplementing creatine, glutamine and BCAAs, your muscles will have a greater capacity to store water, because when muscle cells are stocked with these nutrients, more water is actually drawn into the muscles. Consume at least 1 gallon of water every day, and drink around 8 ounces of water every 15-20 minutes during training.

#4 Carb Up The Right Way

When it comes to carbs, too few can shortchange your gains in mass and too many can transform you into a bulked-up softie. A good rule of thumb is to consume 2-3 grams of carbohydrates per pound of body-weight per day when trying to add mass. And as with protein, you’ll want to divide this between however many meals you eat daily, with the exception of two times during the day: breakfast and your postworkout meal.

“These are two times when the body is somewhat inefficient at manufacturing bodyfat from carbohydrates, so feel free to bump up your carb intake at these times of day,” Aceto says.

“Breakfast and the postworkout meal are also vital in aiding muscle growth because the higher carb content boosts one of the anabolic hormones responsible for driving nutrients into muscles, thereby producing a favorable hormonal environment that kick-starts recovery.” At most meals (pre- and postworkout notwithstanding, as you’ll learn in rule No. 7), you should consume slow-digesting carbs such as wholegrain breads and pastas, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, fruits and vegetables, rather than fast-digesting sources such as white breads and sweets. The former help build muscle and provide sustained energy.
#5 Eat Red Meat

Steaks and beef patties often scare people off because of the high fat content found in many cuts. But when you’re looking to build muscle, shunning red meat is the last thing you want to do: It’s high in B vitamins, including [B.sub.12], which supports muscular endurance and growth, and yields, gram for gram, more iron, creatine and zinc than any other source of protein. These nutrients play important roles in muscle recovery and growth, so if you’re sticking with chicken, turkey and protein powder, you’ll likely fall short of your hypertrophy goals. “Red meat is a great slow-digesting source of protein that can aid in nitrogen retention and sustained elevation of amino acids in the blood,” says Alan Aragon, MS, CSCS, a private-practice nutrition counselor in Thousand Oaks, California (alanaragon.com). “Red meat can be used for all seasons, not just mass phases.”

When choosing an appropriate type of red meat, select primarily leaner cuts such as ground round and sirloin, looking for meat that’s at least 93% lean.

#6 Eat Fish

A lot of bodybuilders seem to live on fowl and low-fat beef, but salmon, trout, bluefish and tuna offer advantages other sources of protein can’t namely, they’re sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which can indirectly make you leaner and bigger. Omega-3s help the body make glycogen, the storage form of carbohydrates that gets socked away in muscle tissue. Glycogen is the main source of energy for training and, generally speaking, adequate levels are a marker for muscle growth and repair. Omega-3s also fight muscle inflammation in the body and spare the loss of glutamine, a vital amino acid that plays a backup role in the muscle recovery process by boosting the immune system. You don’t have to go overboard, but including fish in your diet a few days a week will go a long way toward promoting lean muscle gains. All in all, don’t be afraid of fat 20%-30% of your daily calories should consist of healthy dietary fat.

“Fish is an excellent source of protein, with an amino acid profile very beneficial to enhancing muscle growth,” Harris says. “Omega-3s can increase the insulin sensitivity of the tissues, creating an environment in which less insulin is necessary to shuttle nutrients around the body, which benefits you getting leaner.”

#7 Protect Muscle Mass With Pre- And Post-Workout Meals

The catch-22 with training is that stress hormones, namely cortisol, can run amok and blunt muscle-building to the point that getting back on track is not as simple as following the basic rules. The solution? Eating and supplementing with the right foods in the pre- and post-training meals. This is where whey protein is essential it gets into the blood faster than any other source of protein, providing amino acids that muscles harness for growth and interfere with cortisol uptake. A slower-absorbing protein such as casein takes longer to combat cortisol levels.

Throw in some fast-acting carbs those that digest quickly such as Gatorade, fat-free Pop-Tarts, cream of rice cereal mixed with jam or a toasted bagel and you benefit further. These carbs, when combined with whey protein, are extremely effective at almost immediately halting muscle breakdown. According to Aragon, “sandwiching” your workout with protein and carbs causes greater protein synthesis and inhibits muscle protein breakdown.

Consume at least 20 grams of whey protein before and 40 grams after training, a slow-digesting carbohydrate (refer to rule No. 4 for the best sources) 30 minutes before training and a fast-digesting carb Immediately afterward, along with your whey.

As for dietary fat, pre- and postworkout are the two times of day when you want to forgo eating foods high in fat. They’ll slow the absorption of protein and carbs, which will delay the muscle recovery process.

#8 Schedule A “GET BIG” Day

While eating a sound diet by implementing the steps above is the foundation for growth, taking one out of every 7-10 days and eating far above and beyond your typical dally food intake increasing protein, carbohydrate and overall calorie intake can trigger new muscle growth by driving up your body’s levels of growth hormones. Some people call this a “cheat day.” When you occasionally overeat, the body responds by increasing the release of naturally occurring growth agents, such as growth hormone, insulinlike growth factor-1, thyroid hormone and possibly testosterone. Since even a small boost in one or all of these can impact recovery and muscle growth, it makes sense to harness them, and temporarily eating “really big” can do just that.

“Eating relatively clean all the time can lead to boredom and compromised adherence to a bodybuilding diet,” Aragon says. “Periodic spikes in calorie consumption are a great way to achieve a net caloric surplus that can speed muscular growth and strength. To avoid large gains in bodyfat, make sure ‘once every 7-10 days’ doesn’t turn into cheating on most days.”

#9 Supplement The Big Three

As you become more advanced in your training and nutrition knowledge, try a variety of supplements to help improve strength, size, energy, fat loss and overall health. But for now, just stick to the basics: creatine, glutamine and branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), three of the most effective and affordable supplements on the market. Creatine has been shown in numerous studies to boost muscle power, strength and size; glutamine is a key amino acid in preventing muscle breakdown and boosting the immune system; and BCAAs also thwart muscle wasting and delay the onset of fatigue during training.

Take these dosages both before and after working out: 3-5 grams of creatine, 5-10 grams of glutamine and 5-10 grams of BCAAs. Adding these supps to a diet full of protein and complex carbs will ensure that you reap all the benefits from your training.

#10 Don’t Fear Late Night Feeding

In the 7-9 hours you sleep every night, your body is more or less in a fasting state, taking aminos from your muscles to fuel your brain in the absence of food not an ideal situation if your goal is to pack on muscle. However, you can offset this by eating right before you turn in for the night. The key is eating a slow-digesting protein source along with a moderate amount of fat so amino acids feed your muscles gradually throughout the night. At bedtime, consume approximately 30 grams of casein protein or 1 cup of low-fat cottage cheese along with 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter, an ounce of walnuts or mixed nuts, or 2-3 tablespoons of flaxseed oil. Casein is a slow-digesting protein (as is cottage cheese) that comes in powder form, and the healthy fats found in peanut butter, nuts and flaxseed (almost exclusively unsaturated, by the way) will help slow the absorption of protein even further.

Aceto also recommends consuming protein, and even carbs, in the middle of the night if you happen to get up to use the bathroom. “That’s the perfect time to have a shake,” he says. “If gaining bodyfat is no issue, have 50 grams of protein mixed with 50 grams of liquid carbs such as a meal replacement shake that contains both protein and carbs, or mix the protein in fruit juice. If you’re struggling to control bodyfat, though, skip the carbs. This round-the-clock nutrient delivery will keep the body in an anabolic state.”
Twitter | Blog

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #196 on: March 3, 2011, 02:05:44 am »
Thanks a lot for that mate, interesting read. I'll try to adapt my diet more to suit these pointers.

I had heard quite a few of the things before but I didn't know you should drink quite that much water and also I was unsure about whether or not you can eat so late, really useful stuff :)

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: March 3, 2011, 02:40:47 am »
Thing is, except for recent weeks all i do is eat, like today i have munched the entire day away, but i never put on weight. any tips?
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: March 3, 2011, 10:24:59 am »
Thing is, except for recent weeks all i do is eat, like today i have munched the entire day away, but i never put on weight. any tips?

depends what your eating, if your eating crisps and chocolate you won't see a diffference.

Make up short easy meals like the following:

- Can of tuna with some rice
- Pasta with chicken and corn

thats just what i eat from time to time, you want to eat short meals high in protein and high in carbs if your looking to add weight. The protein will help re-build muscles and carbs will replenish your bodies energy levels.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #199 on: March 3, 2011, 10:41:20 am »

The other thing is, how much in the way of cardio are you doing? How active are you? The post above about the kinds of food is relevent, but also if your not gaining any weight then your probably not eating enough full stop. Try upping your portion sizes if possible. If not, maybe you could consider a meal replacement shake, which will be easier to consume if you dont feel you can eat any more, and it will give you the additional nutrients and calories you need.

2 cans of mackerel in tomato sauce mixed in with some (microwavable) brown rice is a quick meal if you dont have much time as well.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2011, 10:44:51 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog