Author Topic: Justified (New FX Show)  (Read 14584 times)

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
Re: Justified (New FX Show)
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2013, 12:37:53 am »
Loved it from the first episode - Raylan seated at a table in Florida. He knows the criminal sitting opposite him has a hidden weapon, without bilking Raylan  pulls out his gun and shoots the criminal dead.   That's the wild west done modern style-ee
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline rafa4eva

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: January 2, 2014, 01:50:59 am »
FYI - season 4 is starting on channel 5 USA, 9th jan 1245am

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #82 on: January 2, 2014, 07:47:13 am »
Loved it from the first episode - Raylan seated at a table in Florida. He knows the criminal sitting opposite him has a hidden weapon, without bilking Raylan  pulls out his gun and shoots the criminal dead.   That's the wild west done modern style-ee

This. The first time I saw that scene and I hooked onto the series. Can't wait enough for new season to start.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #83 on: January 2, 2014, 06:57:46 pm »

Reading that Wynn Duffy will be a regular in the 5th  :thumbup

a wynn-wynn situation...
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #84 on: January 7, 2014, 06:06:16 pm »
Raylan It In

Justified is still better than almost anything else—but it’s not the show it once was.

By Willa Paskin
JUSTIFIED episode 501
Edi Gathegi as Jean Baptiste and Timothy Olyphant as Raylan Givens in Justified.
Photo courtesy Guy D'Alama/FX

What genre is Justified, the FX series based on an Elmore Leonard character that returns for its fifth season on Tuesday night? A comedy? A procedural? A comedic procedural? A dramedy? A dramedic procedural? A drama that uses comedic and procedural elements to slowly build up a season-long narrative arc? Back in its second season, Justified was all of these things, a punchy yarn starring Timothy Olyphant as U.S. Marshall Raylan Givens, featuring screwball dialogue that episode by episode built to something as potent and devastating as that season’s villain’s home-brewed moonshine.

But since then, Justified’s writing staff has seemed only half-interested in the intricate plotting and stuffy over-thinking favored by so much “quality television.” Seasons 3 and 4 have had arcs of a sort, but the show’s heart has been in the kooky crime caper, the stinging rejoinder, the fit of Raylan Givens’ pants (which, needless to say, is very good). Justified is TV’s least pretentious show about a morally ambiguous man, but over the years it has become progressively less thoughtful about that man and what he does—which is kill people.  As a comedic procedural, Justified remains aces; as a thought-provoking drama, well, Raylan’s pants continue to fit him very nicely.

Season 5 finds Raylan headed down to his old stomping grounds of Florida, to wrangle with a branch of a Harlan County clan that, like all Harlan County clans on Justified, is up to no good. In addition to allowing Michael Rappaport and Alicia Witt to introduce themselves as the season’s big bad and display their Appalachian accents, Raylan’s sojourn gives him an opportunity to shoot a criminal to death, raising his number of on-duty kills to—well, who can count that high? Back in Kentucky, Raylan is using the seized house of a multimillionaire as a sort of pussy palace while contending with drug dealers (one of them played by Wood Harris, aka Avon Barksdale), whom he doesn’t kill, but only after explaining that he legally could.

Boys will be boys, and girls will be trouble and eye candy.
As played by Olyphant, Raylan is cool and chivalrous, a nonskeezy panty dropper, who only talks and shoots when he has to, and then does both extremely well. Raylan is not an antihero. He’s on the right side of the law. He fights bad guys. And this has long been his cover for a pathologically itchy trigger finger. The title of the show used to be ironic: Raylan’s badge, allowing him to kill with impunity, made him “justified,” but with every episode that feels less like a knowing insight into Raylan’s self-justifications and more a simple statement of fact. If most procedurals start with a titillating dead body you’re encouraged not to think too much about, most episodes of Justified end with a rousing gunfight—usually Raylan facing long odds—which you’re also not supposed to think too deeply about.

Top Comment

This is a wildly inaccurate description of Season 4 which, save for a bit of a lull in the middle, not only tackled an intricate crime story (Drew Thompson) but also delved into the story of how Harlan became Harlan.  More...

-Lucky Jim
10 CommentsJoin In
Justified is set in Harlan County, among people for whom poverty and violence is a way of life, constantly begetting more of the same. But starting last season the violence of Justified took a cartoonish turn: grisly and over the top and very red. That continues in the new season with Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins), the law-breaking mirror image of the law-abiding Raylan Givens, who is having trouble with the heroin trade. Trying to get back on track, Boyd ends up with blood splattered all over his face no less than three times in the first two episodes, once due to inappropriate use of a chain saw in a broken-down Detroit high-rise.

Most of this bloodshed is played for laughs. Less funny are the situations in which the female characters find themselves: almost suffocated with a pillow, physically threatened by a cop, kidnapped and shoved in a trunk. Boyd’s true love Ava, once a feisty anti-heroine in her own right, gets shrewish and short-tempered in prison while another woman caresses Boyd’s pecs. Boys will be boys, and girls will be trouble and eye candy, while also having nothing particularly meaty to do.  Justified is slumming it: not nearly as sharp or rich as it has been or could be, but still much more clever and enjoyable than its procedural peers. It’s begging to be graded on a curve, when it should be setting it.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #85 on: January 8, 2014, 07:13:42 pm »
Well that's set this season up well.

Very enjoyable. 8)
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #86 on: January 9, 2014, 04:40:09 am »
Boyd Crowder !

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #87 on: January 9, 2014, 11:39:48 am »
Great start.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 9, 2014, 12:11:21 pm »
FYI - season 4 is starting on channel 5 USA, 9th jan 1245am

Season 4 has already been aired in the UK though hasn't it? Presumably they're repeating it before they run Season 5?

Offline rafa4eva

• Kopite
« Reply #89 on: January 9, 2014, 12:15:44 pm »
Season 4 has already been aired in the UK though hasn't it? Presumably they're repeating it before they run Season 5?

Agreed, I haven't seen s4 yet so missed that 1st time round, just wanted to give a heads up for anyone in a similar situ as Netflix only had s1 to 3, i should have clarified  this was for uk viewers and have no idea when s5 will be on in the uk.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2014, 02:28:12 am »
nice first episode.  raylan and boyd on the road.

Spoiler
i love the use of language in this show.

"canucks"
"mr. eyebrows" :lmao
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2014, 08:26:24 pm »
JUSTIFIED Cancelled; Season 6 Will Be LastBy Mansoor on January 14, 2014

justified-timothyolyphant

Justified has been cancelled. It was rumored before, but now FX has confirmed the news during the network’s TCA presentation today in Pasadena, CA. Justified season 6 has been confirmed to be the show’s last.

“They felt that the arc of the show and what they had to say would be served by six seasons instead of seven,” said FX CEO John Landgraf, “and I regretfully accepted their decision.”

- Source: http://www.nerdacy.com/2014/01/14/justified-cancelled-season-6-will-last/

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2014, 09:18:20 pm »
That's just shit news...

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2014, 11:10:18 pm »
I'm all for shows ending when the creator, and not the studio, feels is right. Will be sad to see Justified end but don't want it artificially extended.

Offline masher

• Legacy Fan
  • hippie at heart
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2014, 01:02:16 pm »
Boss episode, building up really nicely. And Barksdale yo!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2014, 01:11:12 pm »
That's just shit news...

No it's not. Why would you want the good series stretched to the point they become repetitive or even unwatchable? It's a sound choice.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:53 pm »
No it's not. Why would you want the good series stretched to the point they become repetitive or even unwatchable? It's a sound choice.
How do you it'll become repetitive? What do you know that I don't....that's you assuming that it'll become what you say.

The writing,directing and acting in this is still good enough to justify another season.

How many people in here think what they've seen up to now is any lesser than the other seasons...it's still good.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2014, 02:07:43 pm »
Well personally I feel nothing has come close after season 2 with Margo Martindale.

Found myself not really interested in many episodes through season 3. Season 4 was better than the third but still way off to top season 2.
So I get the sense series is really close to have nothing new to show me and jut prolonging it, won't do it any favours.

What is more, all the top series have had 5 or 6 seasons if you check. That's not random. Creators themselves asked for it to be the last so that's a clue.

Deal with it  8) ;D

PS: When I quoted the post of yours, I thought you wanted many more seasons and I thought that I didn't want it to become House or Smallville thus my post.
I see you want this one and one more. Yeah I can see that only if this one is great. First episode was top notch I thought.

Offline Death by Football

• Anny Roader
  • ► JFT96 ◄
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2014, 03:48:58 pm »
Well that sucks! Wonder if we'll see a proper ending?

Probably not if this season was already in the can before the decision was made.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2014, 03:59:02 pm »
Well that sucks! Wonder if we'll see a proper ending?

Probably not if this season was already in the can before the decision was made.

“They felt that the arc of the show and what they had to say would be served by six seasons instead of seven,” said FX CEO John Landgraf, “and I regretfully accepted their decision.”

Offline Death by Football

• Anny Roader
  • ► JFT96 ◄
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2014, 04:16:13 pm »
Oops! Schoolboy error by me there. Final showdown it is then  :) can't wait!!

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2014, 02:17:04 am »
glad to hear that news in a way.  it's a great series, but it's skirting on the edge of getting repetitive and a little stale in terms of storylines.  they've had their moments, but the episodes so far haven't grabbed me.

still, having avon in that episode didn't hurt, and "are you gonna make me do the paperwork?" is a great line.

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:56 am »
This show should be getting more love on here, can't believe the thread is only 3 pages long
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2014, 04:25:28 pm »
Who else smiled at last weeks end?

Just about to watch this weeks ep.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: March 8, 2014, 10:08:32 pm »
Struggling with this season, to be honest. Not clicking. And Michael Rapaport is terrible.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 8, 2014, 11:52:47 pm »
agreed.  it just all seems a bit aimless. the story's spread too thinly across the leads, while the new characters are very uninteresting.  i'm not surprised the show's soon to be calling it a day...  don't mind rapaport though, and i could watch walton goggins all day long.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2014, 10:25:26 am »
Season 5 starting to redeem itself now. Episode 11 was fantastic. Feel like Raylan has been sidelined far too much this year, so no surprise things started to improve as the focus returned to him. Said earlier that I thought Michael Rappaport has been terrible, but enjoyed his showdown with Raylan at the end. For the first time he actually felt like a worthy adversary.

Mary Steenburgen is a brilliant addition too. Excited to see more from her character.

Ava's prison storyline remains an absolute buzzkill though - who cares?

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2014, 02:14:48 pm »
but... ice cream! :)

Spoiler
it was a bit better, but still feels off to me.  you could see it all coming a mile away, but then that's not to say it wasn't done well.  and boyd didn't even count to nine and then shout "fire in the hole!"  very disappointing.

raylan 2.0 is quite dull (i know that's the point, being broken and damaged and having lost two fathers, a wife and a daughter in two seasons, but he's just not very interesting as a character when he doesn't bounce off boyd, art and arlo... even winona).  plus, sartorially he's a mess: he barely even wears his hat anymore, and it's constant double denim.  i think the writers realised they'd taken his character as far as it can go, and so have spent the whole season concentrating on the criminals.  boyd and duffy are always watchable, but the others i can take or leave, really.
[close]

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: April 5, 2014, 02:37:11 am »
...aaaand one episode before the end we finally get a classic justified episode.  funny and smart, and with raylan and boyd bouncing off each other properly for the first time in ages.  it's taken a long time to get going, and the season overall is still disappointing, but that was a great episode.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:09 am »
Enjoyed that ending, the final season shaping up the only way it could ever really end, Raylan vs Boyd. 

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2014, 03:05:30 pm »
Spoiler
yep, and boyd back to what he does best.  bit disappointed with the recording device as the way of catching the bad guy.  thoroughly bored with that whole idea, but raylan vs. boyd again revives my interest.

[close]

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2014, 05:45:27 pm »
Definitely the weakest of the 5 seasons for me. Couldn't click the whole season. Daryl Jr. forced accent really got on the nerves in some parts. The prison arc with Ava was a disappointment. And as a whole Raymond was very lethargic all season. Think next season all shit is gonna hit the fan.
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2014, 10:54:47 am »
Well it will be the last one so it has to.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #113 on: May 5, 2014, 03:37:03 am »
Thought it was the best season yet, personally. Moved quick with plenty of plots intertwined.

The dialouge between Raylan and Boyd is some of the best TV I've ever witnessed. The world is okay when Boyd speaks. It really is...

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2014, 11:59:51 am »
Managing to catch up with series 5 now through sky on demand.

I cannot believe that this programme didn't become a big success, but I hardly know anyone who is even aware of it, let alone watches it, so not surprising that it was dropped from the UK tv schedule.

I'm only 3 episodes in but the dialogue remains some of the sharpest and funniest in any tv drama. I find that I laugh out loud more during an episode of Justified than many sitcoms. It's sheer chemistry when Raylan and Boyd are together on scene.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2015, 05:29:10 pm »
Final season starts tomorra in America.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2015, 11:53:43 pm »
let's hope he's ditched the double denim.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2015, 03:20:07 pm »
Spoiler
dewey: hey, my lawyer told me you come within 1,000 feet, that's harassment.

raylan: you best back up.

:lmao

also: "good things happen to those who wait for stupid."

glad to see it's still making me laugh as much as ever.  good episode to return on too. lots of stuff piled up just waiting to go wrong.  it does feel like the series could end in any number of ways.
[close]

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 3, 2015, 02:24:58 pm »
Season has got off to a very good start. Hope Boyd can make it out alive...

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2015, 09:42:38 pm »
Just watched the final season...loved the ending.