Author Topic: Jari Litmanen  (Read 88334 times)

Offline Jaska

• Hävytön mulkku - cheek shagger
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jari Litmanen
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2009, 03:23:01 pm »
If he has turned things around it is great news but he wasn't good enough to command a starting position in our team in 2002. Considering the talent we had then, it wasn't really surprising he wasn't first choice.
That does mean fuck all when it comes to utilising Jari's talent. Owen and Fowler might have been better players but the team played much better with Jari on the pitch. And nobody, nobody, is saying he should've been first choice. He just should have played more.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2009, 03:25:18 pm »
That does mean fuck all when it comes to utilising Jari's talent. Owen and Fowler might have been better players but the team played much better with Jari on the pitch. And nobody, nobody, is saying he should've been first choice. He just should have played more.
thats my view too, and to buy a player like him in the first place suggested that Houlier was trying to change our tactics a bit.. would have been great playing where Stevie plays now if Houlier deployed that formation..

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »
Least you got something right.  ;)

I think you're only here on the wind up or are you really that clueless?

Jari was coveted by the biggest clubs when we signed him, I don't know how old are you are
or where you're from but your memory doesn't seem to be serving you too well.
Jari suffered from a series of mostly niggly injuries which contributed
to his shortage of appearances for us, also Houllier was unable/unwilling
to change our formation/attacking style to accomodate Jari's mercurial
talents, when he played he almost always made an impact and scored some crucial goals.
Heskey and Owen had a superb partnership in 2001, and there was no
place for an 'in the hole' player with our tried and tested 4-4-2 at the time.
Houllier was defensively minded and despite most Reds dreaming about the type of football we could play with Litmanen in the side, unfortunately we only got to see him in a Red shirt on far too few an occasion.

I know and heard all about his fantastic specialness, it's a thing you get to hear every now and then supporting us.  :P I know he was injured at Barcelona etc and all that shit, and was injured for us as well I think but simply all adds up to the fact he wasn't the same player he used to be in Holland.

Owen/Heskey was brilliant and I never saw reason to get on Gerards back like many others. Simply yes there was no place for Litmanen in the team. Gerard was manager, he decides the team and one should have backed him. He got things wrong later I guess but that season wasn't bad.

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2009, 03:32:03 pm »
Dunno if LF actually knows anyhting about Jari's time at Barca but the coach at the time was Lorenc Serra Ferrer who didn't play Litmanen at all. On one pre-season at Barca he and Kluivert terrorised defences scoring goals and playing well but when the season started Jari time on the pitch was nowhere to be seen. Some times he even had to play on the right in 4-3-3 formation  ::)

If you are saying he was shit in Barca/LFC because he didn't play, you are simply talking crap.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2009, 03:32:37 pm »
I know and heard all about his fantastic specialness, it's a thing you get to hear every now and then supporting us.  :P I know he was injured at Barcelona etc and all that shit, and was injured for us as well I think but simply all adds up to the fact he wasn't the same player he used to be in Holland.

Owen/Heskey was brilliant and I never saw reason to get on Gerards back like many others. Simply yes there was no place for Litmanen in the team. Gerard was manager, he decides the team and one should have backed him. He got things wrong later I guess but that season wasn't bad.

No one is refuting the fact that Owen and Heskey had a great partnership. A while ago you were saying Jari wasn't good enough and now you're agreeing with what I and Jaska just posted above.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2009, 03:34:24 pm »
Dunno if LF actually knows anyhting about Jari's time at Barca but the coach at the time was Lorenc Serra Ferrer who didn't play Litmanen at all. On one pre-season at Barca he and Kluivert terrorised defences scoring goals and playing well but when the season started Jari time on the pitch was nowhere to be seen. Some times he even had to play on the right in 4-3-3 formation  ::)

If you are saying he was shit in Barca/LFC because he didn't play, you are simply talking crap.

::)

He was injured at Barcelona. Yes. He was also injured with us I think. What I said was it probably contributed towards his decline as I certainly don't think he was the same.

Why do you need to act like this and call me ignorant, fool, nonsense? cause I don't think Litmanen was good enough?

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2009, 03:36:37 pm »
No one is refuting the fact that Owen and Heskey had a great partnership. A while ago you were saying Jari wasn't good enough and now you're agreeing with what I and Jaska just posted above.

When did I say he was good enough? What I did imply that the injuries perhaps contributed to his decline.

Look, I don't doubt he had his fantastic brain but look at Recoba at Inter, marvelous brain but simply not good enough to start ahead of other players. Owen/Heskey was a brilliant partnership and there was no need to break it. Results came in the 01/02 season, Gerard wasn't wrong with Litmanen.

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2009, 03:39:14 pm »
Results came in the 01/02 season, Gerard wasn't wrong with Litmanen.
You just are one weird poster. It does not mean in any way, that GH was right with Litmanen even though the results came. They could've come also without any of them (JL, MO, EH). If you can't post in a way that any of your opinions make sense in bigger picture, then simply I just feel sorry for you.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 03:41:56 pm by Jaska »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2009, 03:42:59 pm »
When did I say he was good enough? What I did imply that the injuries perhaps contributed to his decline.

He simply and I mean simply was not good enough by the time and was injured anyway, what like 40-50 played in like 4-5 years.

you stated there he was not good enough, and then mentioned injuries after (suggesting that the injuries would have gave him a less of a chance, but still not good enough in the first place)

to play a talent like Litmanen, Houlier would have had to change his football philosophy and game plan, i dont think he was prepared to do this or do away with the Owen/Heskey partnership...

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2009, 03:44:35 pm »
you stated there he was not good enough, and then mentioned injuries after (suggesting that the injuries would have gave him a less of a chance, but still not good enough in the first place)

to play a talent like Litmanen, Houlier would have had to change his football philosophy and game plan, i dont think he was prepared to do this or do away with the Owen/Heskey partnership...
It didn't matter either even though Heskey and Murphy had really, really shit spells lasting 10 games. Litmanen wasn't still tried. Makes my blood boil once again.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »
You just are one weird poster. It does not mean in any way, that GH was right with Litmanen even though the results came. They could've come also without any of them (JL, MO, EH). If you can't post in a way that any of your opinions make sense in bigger picture, then simply I just feel sorry for you.

To quite simply put it to you. I definitely wasn't in the Litmanen to play brigade and didn't have anything against Gerard for it. Definitely supported him till the very end.

I have no real opinion on whether I like Litmanen or not, I was never really effected with his situation and didn't really give it second thought. Owen/Heskey continued being brilliant, Anelka was good when he came on and the results were there. I don't feel sorry for what could have been. Doesn't make sense, Litmanen did fuck all to make me worship him.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2009, 03:46:55 pm »

Rafa should have changed his philosophy to accommodate Robbie Keane?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2009, 03:47:40 pm »
It didn't matter either even though Heskey and Murphy had really, really shit spells lasting 10 games. Litmanen wasn't still tried. Makes my blood boil once again.
yup, i was baffled too.. one of my first thoughts was always... "is Jari playin?", another was "is fowler playin?"
anyway, times have passed now..

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2009, 03:49:20 pm »
I have no real opinion on whether I like Litmanen or not, I was never really effected with his situation and didn't really give it second thought. Owen/Heskey continued being brilliant, Anelka was good when he came on and the results were there. I don't feel sorry for what could have been. Doesn't make sense, Litmanen did fuck all to make me worship him.

Then you missed out. The rest of us on this thread (by and large) seem to have noticed a fabulous talent that you didn't notice. Your loss.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2009, 03:51:17 pm »
Rafa should have changed his philosophy to accommodate Robbie Keane?

thats was another confusing issue, but Jari is a much better player than Keane,
Keane was also missing sitters and always had a stinker of an attitude on the pitch..
Jari could make the team better, Keane on form can contribute to the team very well.. bit of a difference,
but i dont think its favourable to compare him to keane, baros, cisse, etc... they all had talent, ability etc, what Jari has (and still has) is a brain that is way ahead of everyone else on the field, a king kenny type ability..

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2009, 03:52:18 pm »
Then you missed out. The rest of us on this thread (by and large) seem to have noticed a fabulous talent that you didn't notice. Your loss.
how was the saturday night pissup with le campador?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2009, 03:54:23 pm »
how was the saturday night pissup with le campador?

We're still alive. I bet we got better entertainment at Cork v Limerick than you got at Ireland/Bulgaria, though...

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2009, 03:59:41 pm »
We're still alive. I bet we got better entertainment at Cork v Limerick than you got at Ireland/Bulgaria, though...
haha, maybe... was he able to keep pace with the sliotar? :D

ill buy some beers for tonight tho, just because i may aswell have some :D

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2009, 05:25:09 pm »
Litti did well before he got injured playing against England in 2001

Its just a pity he didnt get much of a chance after coming back from that injury and once you complained to Houllier or fell out of favour, out you went...

Where is he at now, cos I doubt Fulham kept him given that Hodgson didnt like his attitude...
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2009, 05:45:29 pm »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2009, 06:01:47 pm »
Where is he at now, cos I doubt Fulham kept him given that Hodgson didnt like his attitude...

Really? Mark Pembridge (I think he is a coach at Fulham) has said he had a good attitude
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2009, 06:05:36 pm »

Where did you hear that?
I think it was his injuries that prevented him from making an impact at Fulham.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2009, 06:09:21 pm »
oh sorry for the spelling mistake great Phil M.

Least you got something right.  ;)

:lmao
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2009, 06:12:00 pm »
::)

He was injured at Barcelona. Yes. He was also injured with us I think. What I said was it probably contributed towards his decline as I certainly don't think he was the same.

Why do you need to act like this and call me ignorant, fool, nonsense? cause I don't think Litmanen was good enough?
Probably because your a spoon!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2009, 06:17:47 pm »
nah, spoons are useful ! :P

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2009, 06:29:45 pm »
Where did you hear that?
I think it was his injuries that prevented him from making an impact at Fulham.

i think Hodgson didnt like the fact that he was always injured for Fulham but never for Finland
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2009, 08:17:35 pm »
nah, spoons are useful ! :P
True, i would have called him a daft c*nt or tit etc, but didnt want to get a ban ;)

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2009, 08:22:32 pm »
True, i would have called him a daft charlie uniform november tango or tit etc, but didnt want to get a ban ;)

he aint that bad, he just didnt look at the facts.. :D

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2009, 08:22:56 pm »
Yeah, thank God he scored that goal agaonst them in the Ajax Tournament! ;)

Sure you ween't thinking of Leverkeusen Phil?!

As for Jari, I remember him best for trying to tee up Fowler in the 5-0 v Palace when Robbie had been going through a bit of a lean spell. He was awesome when he had time and space but definitely very injury prone by the time he joined us.

He also did something 10 yards out from the Anny rd penalty area that i was direct in line with that defied my eyes!

Was in a group of 6 all sat together Lower Kemlyn and we where all jut looking at each other in disbelief.

Absolute genius. Feel like we wasted him.
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2009, 08:43:21 pm »
err sorry lf.

equating recoba with jari?

really.
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: April 1, 2009, 10:01:41 pm »

oh no. it hurts me so much you talk smack about me.  ::)

thats was another confusing issue, but Jari is a much better player than Keane,
Keane was also missing sitters and always had a stinker of an attitude on the pitch..
Jari could make the team better, Keane on form can contribute to the team very well.. bit of a difference,
but i dont think its favourable to compare him to keane, baros, cisse, etc... they all had talent, ability etc, what Jari has (and still has) is a brain that is way ahead of everyone else on the field, a king kenny type ability..

What I am talking about is that the managers already have their philosophy whatever. I don't really anything wrong with him for not playing Litmanen, he had his own views on what would get him success and he did well.

Many people seem to take a hypocritical stance here when they go on about Rafa type player, Cisse lacking intelligence, he is not rafa type player, he doesn't track back word hard etc etc. Maybe it's true about Rafa but that is cause he has his philosophy.

I will support him in whatever he does, he has clearly shown he knows what he is doing and is one of the best. Similarly Gerard had his own philosophy and it was working too, someone said here Litmanen needed to be treated differently but I think no, Houllier was right to go about his own ways and instead of supporting and backing his decisions there were people who did otherwise. Now If you say anything about Rafa, you are a goner. Litmanen was no different player, he was like everyone else. I find it funny some people say he should have been treated differently simply cause it was Litmanen or cause he had this Kenny type magic or was a fan etc.

I don't intend any of this as disrespect or trying to piss anyone off, but some people simply can't comprehend anything, instead of having a debate call me whatever names you want, it won't do a fucking thing it's just the internet. Actually call me whatever you want, I'll be glad and I am done with this.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #191 on: April 1, 2009, 10:04:13 pm »
oh no. it hurts me so much you talk smack about me.  ::)

True, i would have called him a daft charlie uniform november tango or tit etc, but didnt want to get a ban ;)
:wanker

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 9, 2009, 10:10:17 pm »
According to Finnish newspaper Veikkaaja Sydney FC is trying to sign Litti. Sydney FC offered him a contract in December but Litmanen rejected the offer due to long distance. Sydney FC officials came to Helsinki to see FC Honka - FC Lahti game and are again interested in signing the Finnish legend.

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 9, 2009, 10:15:28 pm »
According to Finnish newspaper Veikkaaja Sydney FC is trying to sign Litti. Sydney FC offered him a contract in December but Litmanen rejected the offer due to long distance. Sydney FC officials came to Helsinki to see FC Honka - FC Lahti game and are again interested in signing the Finnish legend.
Kato perkele.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: June 9, 2009, 11:29:00 pm »
oooh two of my favourite players in the a league. GOD and possibly king litti,

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2009, 12:03:47 am »
oooh two of my favourite players in the a league. GOD and possibly king litti,
NEVER Shall be the name King Litti written without capital letters (you twat)

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2009, 12:14:05 am »
NEVER Shall be the name King Litti written without capital letters (you twat)

he's actually my favourite player. so fuck off.

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2009, 12:18:26 am »
;D

Only joking if you didn't realise.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:21:25 am by Jaska »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2009, 12:28:01 am »

I'm sorry but he's actually my favourite player, and I saw him first,
so you'll have to find someone else.

May I suggest Ryan Giggs?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #199 on: June 10, 2009, 12:29:40 am »
He's like, my sixth or seventh favourite player so I won't need him very often.