Author Topic: Tony Barrett joins LFC as head of club and supporter liaison.  (Read 18950 times)

Offline Nelly82

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Tony Barrett joins LFC as head of club and supporter liaison.
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2017, 09:58:34 pm »
Let's get a thread on here for fan suggestions for Tony to look out for.

My suggestions for European games are 'Flag days/nights' I think the club done it some years back but let's get the kop really rocking on European nights and scare the absolute shit out the opposition.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2017, 10:01:30 pm »
I used to love Tony when he wrote for the Echo, but went off him a bit after he left.

But now he is back and I'm certain he will do a great job and be very good for LFC.

Well done Tony. Back where you belong

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2017, 10:15:32 pm »
The comment section below the article is filled with bitters.
:lmao the bitterness just oozes from them.

Congrats to Tony, should be a sound appointment.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2017, 09:56:51 am »
Graham, is the SC ending then? Or will it sit above the Fan Forums? I know some members will be involved in the Forums but it doesn't seem to be in the diagram is its own right. I assumed it would continue too.
Thanks

And thanks for all the write-ups you have given us! :wave

The SC is going - they want to keep the SC members involved and want to port them over to the new forums based upon the constituencies we have represented and the knowledge that has been built up.

The forums are supposed to have 8 to 12 members each.

However three of us are SOS Committee members. They have specifically said that we cannot port over into the new forums unless we take up the SOS positions allocate, despite the effort we have put in as SC members. It also pre-supposes that we would be the people SOS would want to take up the roles, which as a democratic organisation isn't a given.

The section of forum members other than SOS and any ported over SC members is done at what was described as 'random', there seems to be a limited selection process and no democratic process.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2017, 10:46:10 am »
The SC is going - they want to keep the SC members involved and want to port them over to the new forums based upon the constituencies we have represented and the knowledge that has been built up.

However three of us are SOS Committee members. They have specifically said that we cannot port over into the new forums unless we take up the SOS positions allocate, despite the effort we have put in as SC members. It also pre-supposes that we would be the people SOS would want to take up the roles, which as a democratic organisation isn't a given.

The section of forum members other than SOS and any ported over SC members is done at what was described as 'random', there seems to be a limited selection process and no democratic process.

Sounds shite that.  Supporters had a vote on who they wanted to represent them and it sounds like this wont be the case anymore.  In fact it sounds like utter shite.  Sounds like they're only allowing one SOS member on each forum.  Supporters should get a say rather than the Club hand picking people. 

Anyway, hope you end up on one of the forums as the SOS rep and carry on the good work, for what it's worth.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2017, 01:44:09 pm »

Me too! :wave
Thanks Graham

We'll have to wait and see what they come up with - the devil's in the detail maybe!  :-\

But if new people are also active SoS members, they will still end up with more than one in a forum, but without the SC experience. Unless they eliminate them on the same principle. I'd rather they staye din though, they are probably better informed about the issues
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:46:18 pm by Shanklygates »
We are a team of one half.

Offline darcy171

• Kopite
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2017, 01:59:39 pm »
Wherever this leads, I'm glad someone like Tony is working within the club. His integrity is without question and hopefully he can help make a difference in these issues or at least improve on the communication. I'm sure he'll do his best.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2017, 02:10:52 pm »
I think this is a good appointment. I don't know him but he always speaks with a lot of sense and perspective.
What he also has is integrity which he demonstrated by leaving the Times so I'd be surprised if he'd have agreed to a role that is just PR.

When you see the issues raised by the survey, there must have been loads of recurring feedback about the same things.
Here's hoping that we see some improvements.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2017, 02:24:32 pm »
Sounds shite that.  Supporters had a vote on who they wanted to represent them and it sounds like this wont be the case anymore.  In fact it sounds like utter shite.  Sounds like they're only allowing one SOS member on each forum.  Supporters should get a say rather than the Club hand picking people. 

Anyway, hope you end up on one of the forums as the SOS rep and carry on the good work, for what it's worth.

So you read the word random and decided that meant 'hand picked'??

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2017, 03:39:49 pm »
Can't wait to see who is the first to call him the clubs Muppet. On another note after showing great principle in leaving The Times, his career has gone up.
Why do people think he showed great principle in leaving the Times.
Did he not he just move to another job the same as Rory Smith did also by leaving the Times (UK) around the same time .
Unless I missed something?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:42:33 pm by dakid »

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2017, 03:49:39 pm »
Was Jen Chang not available?

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2017, 03:54:50 pm »
Why do people think he showed great principle in leaving the Times.

It was to do with their lack of coverage regarding the Hillsborough verdicts was it not?
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2017, 03:59:46 pm »
unbelievable news

the owners stuck in their own ivory trump towers. They totally don't get the fans maybe except Linda.

FSG OUT!!! ;D

great news

Remember him as one of the more reliable journos and that can hopefully mean good things moving forward.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2017, 04:00:54 pm »
It was to do with their lack of coverage regarding the Hillsborough verdicts was it not?

Yes.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/tony-barrett-quit-times-weeks-11641537
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:06:52 pm by DangerScouse »

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2017, 04:52:33 pm »
He's a good egg....better he is employed by the club than not

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2017, 05:22:07 pm »
Was Jen Chang not available?

He taped up his letter box and so didn't get the invite.

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2017, 05:27:44 pm »
Fantastic appointment, Tony is sound.

FSG making some cracking appointments lately.
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2017, 09:34:58 pm »
Some good questions there Graham

Any idea why the club are dragging their heals on the LGBT side? Do they see it as less of a priority amongst wider fan base ?

'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2017, 09:54:08 pm »

Any idea why the club are dragging their heals on the LGBT side? Do they see it as less of a priority amongst wider fan base ?

What is the issue? Genuine question. If it's Pride as Graham says I believe it was announced a bit later than May last year so it might be something forthcoming, doesn't hurt to ask!

Anyway, top appointment :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:56:18 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2017, 11:09:47 am »

When the Committee was first started the Club really pushed internally for staff to get behind Pride. For instance in one of the first few years the women's team walked in the march.

Last year there were about six of us including only one member of LFC staff.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2017, 12:30:35 pm »
Yes.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/tony-barrett-quit-times-weeks-11641537
Well now we do know the reasons. He resigned to become the Chief Football Writer for JOE. Which was a big step up from the job he had at the time.
Who would fill this position at JOE was teased for weeks by their owner Nial McGarry and a move that he said would "transcend the media scene in the UK.An absolute game changer for @JOE_co_uk"

Maybe Tony did leave over Hillsborough treatment by the Times. But until he says so nodody knows and people are just adding 2+2 and getting 5 when there is no evidence to suggest this yet there is evidence to show that he moved to a better job after he left the Times.

I will miss him as a journalist as he was an excellent source on Liverpool news since his ECHO days.

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2017, 12:57:53 pm »
Always liked Tony and gained even more respect for him after he left the times. Good lad.

Offline FrancisB

• Main Stander
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2017, 01:11:20 pm »
Good Luck Tony!  :wave

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2017, 01:19:26 pm »
Well now we do know the reasons. He resigned to become the Chief Football Writer for JOE. Which was a big step up from the job he had at the time.
Who would fill this position at JOE was teased for weeks by their owner Nial McGarry and a move that he said would "transcend the media scene in the UK.An absolute game changer for @JOE_co_uk"

Maybe Tony did leave over Hillsborough treatment by the Times. But until he says so nodody knows and people are just adding 2+2 and getting 5 when there is no evidence to suggest this yet there is evidence to show that he moved to a better job after he left the Times.

I will miss him as a journalist as he was an excellent source on Liverpool news since his ECHO days.

He definitely did leave because of their Hillsborough coverage.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/aug/03/times-football-hillsborough-joe-tony-barrett

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2017, 01:39:11 pm »
Sensible move by the club and congrats to Tony Barrett.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline CentenaryBoy

• Kopite
  • JFT97
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2017, 03:03:22 pm »

I don't think it was ever confirmed that was the reason, but the timing seems to suggest it was.

Offline Suedehead

• Smooth operator.......
  • Main Stander
  • Respectful MUFC fan // Long-time lurker
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2017, 04:27:01 pm »
Good move. Always spoken well has Tony. It's a role I'd like to see fulfilled at my own club too; someone to bridge the gap between fans and club.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2017, 08:25:14 pm »
He definitely did leave because of their Hillsborough coverage.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/aug/03/times-football-hillsborough-joe-tony-barrett
Far from confirmation he resigned over Hillsborough if anything them articles prove he resigned to move to a better job.

They state he resigned on the 20th of July and was announced by JOE on the 3rd of August when they confirmed he would start in September! It's as if his resignation was actually just him handing in his notice.

And let's not forget on the 18th of July Niall McGarry tweeted he was close to announcing his "biggest ever editorial signing". A mere two days before his resignation.

I would be surprised if Tony Barrett wasn't head hunted for the role after his tweets around Hillsborough.

The Times not going with a front page over Hillsborough clearly left a sour taste with him but I think it's clear he resigned for a new role with JOE.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:36:51 pm by dakid »

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2017, 08:34:50 pm »
Aye it's a good appointment.
Nice one Tony.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2017, 12:25:36 pm »
With greatest respect to those who are tweeting me about Michael Owen, I don't take up my new position until the end of next month 👍

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2017, 11:28:43 pm »
There's no way a Michael Owen petition should form part of what Tony will be about. I'd like to think that he will have much more important issues to address.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2017, 09:42:09 am »
So Tony, what are the important issues the fans have come to you about. I guess it's probably ticket prices, getting more young people to go to the game, the Anfield Road extension or the lack of investment in the playing team?

Well, actually no, the mad fuckers just want Michael Owen removed as ambassador.

Fucking nice one, sorted, see you next year Tony.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2017, 10:19:54 am »
Well in, Tony!

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2017, 10:26:48 am »
Far from confirmation he resigned over Hillsborough if anything them articles prove he resigned to move to a better job.

They state he resigned on the 20th of July and was announced by JOE on the 3rd of August when they confirmed he would start in September! It's as if his resignation was actually just him handing in his notice.

And let's not forget on the 18th of July Niall McGarry tweeted he was close to announcing his "biggest ever editorial signing". A mere two days before his resignation.

I would be surprised if Tony Barrett wasn't head hunted for the role after his tweets around Hillsborough.

The Times not going with a front page over Hillsborough clearly left a sour taste with him but I think it's clear he resigned for a new role with JOE.

Apart from the headline and all the references to him resigning over their coverage of the inquests.

Why are you so keen on saying it wasn't about Hillsborough? Fucking bizarre.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2017, 11:02:46 am »
There's no way a Michael Owen petition should form part of what Tony will be about. I'd like to think that he will have much more important issues to address.
I know right. I mean that's probably going to take up ALL his time if he does have to deal with it.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2017, 12:45:54 pm »

When do you think he started looking for a new job? My bet is April 26th. He resigned over Hillsborough.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2017, 01:36:56 pm »
Apart from the headline and all the references to him resigning over their coverage of the inquests.

Why are you so keen on saying it wasn't about Hillsborough? Fucking bizarre.

It really is.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #79 on: June 3, 2017, 04:42:11 pm »

Couldn't agree more.

The range of issues affecting match going fans far out ways any petition to oust an ex player who is out of favour. Seems the type of things the Bitters would get right behind.

Anyway hope Tony has an immediate impact and gets things moving.