Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2016-17  (Read 252913 times)

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2016-17
« Reply #1440 on: May 22, 2017, 10:18:41 am »
LFC Current & Projected Form: Round 38
“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1441 on: May 22, 2017, 10:55:41 am »
I'll add my thanks to Prof for the APLT and Nessy for his excellent commentary. All the posters in this thread too, because of you it's one of the most informative and courteous threads on RAWK.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #1442 on: May 22, 2017, 10:56:10 am »

Exactly the same period, games 13 to 24, is what's killed us both years.  That's a squad depth issue.

EDIT: I've just read that next season there's to be six matches from mid-December to the end of the New Year period?  We've got to get that sorted as a priority.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:23:28 am by Iska »

Online Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1443 on: May 22, 2017, 11:29:32 am »
Thanks Prof, Nessy & Co. Great thread all season.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #1444 on: May 22, 2017, 11:44:32 am »
First 19 -2
Next 5 -10
Final 14 -2

Those 5 games, during witch Mane was at AFCON, that stopped us competing.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1445 on: May 22, 2017, 12:34:12 pm »
First 19 -2
Next 5 -10
Final 14 -2

Those 5 games, during witch Mane was at AFCON, that stopped us competing.

You can't put it all on Mane being at the AFCON. He only missed two league games, United and Swansea and came off the bench against Chelsea.

Overall squad depth let us down. We didn't have enough quality to bring in and help with the workload in January when we had 9 games across the cups and league.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #1446 on: May 22, 2017, 12:37:26 pm »
Thanks Prof
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #1447 on: May 22, 2017, 12:41:07 pm »
Just out of interest, has anyone compared how much the positions in the APLT varied to the real table.

I love the analysis and thought process that it brings, but just wondering.

If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #1448 on: May 22, 2017, 12:47:00 pm »
Thanks to Prof for making this all happen. Probably the best thread on here, and always a useful way of contextualizing the season. Also thanks to Nessy for the match previews and JCB for the excellent supplementary content.

Next season the red line is going to start on 0 and it's going to end on 0. Trust me.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1449 on: May 22, 2017, 01:19:44 pm »
Thanks to all the regular contributors and readers out there and a special thanks to Prof, drmick and RAWK for helping me to develop the relegation table this year. Refinements and suggestions are welcome after it's maiden trial although I must say the Prof's model has been pretty good.

Going forward I might be interested in testing and evaluating* suggestions on possible refinements if my spreadsheet allows it over the summer. So DonkeyWan feel free to elaborate on your previous comment (wondering if this requires a new thread somewhere or wether to just do it here). I've collated every result over the last 16 years as I was going to analyse the data for my Segmented PPG idea over in the Top 6 mini-league thread.

* what I mean here is that we can once and for all see if these refinements actually help or not

Relegation APLT: Season End 2017

EDIT: Thought I'd add a clearer version (bottom 7) as well
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:29:06 pm by JCB »

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #1450 on: May 22, 2017, 02:11:39 pm »
You can't put it all on Mane being at the AFCON. He only missed two league games, United and Swansea and came off the bench against Chelsea.

Overall squad depth let us down. We didn't have enough quality to bring in and help with the workload in January when we had 9 games across the cups and league.
IIRC coutinho was injured as well at the time and game back for united away. It is obviously down to squad depth, if we'd of had a bit more luck with injuries (like Chelsea had). We'd of been closer.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1451 on: May 22, 2017, 04:15:14 pm »
Question is, should the 71-point line be reviewed to next season? Except Arsenal, the top 6 seems now to be relative stable before the next season, with Man U, Man City and Chelsea now having managers who can work through the summer and really get their message across. We can say that this season was a bit of a historical "freak" when it comes to the points needed for top 4, but just looking at it now, I would not expect any of the top 6 to drop in performance (except maybe Arsenal if there is a change, and there can be arguments for Chelsea and maybe us because of European Football)

I'd say give it one more season as is.  There is a good chance Arsenal or Utd might have issues next season.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1452 on: May 22, 2017, 04:22:56 pm »
Thanks to all the regular contributors and readers out there and a special thanks to Prof, drmick and RAWK for helping me to develop the relegation table this year. Refinements and suggestions are welcome after it's maiden trial although I must say the Prof's model has been pretty good.

Going forward I might be interested in testing and evaluating* suggestions on possible refinements if my spreadsheet allows it over the summer. So DonkeyWan feel free to elaborate on your previous comment (wondering if this requires a new thread somewhere or wether to just do it here). I've collated every result over the last 16 years as I was going to analyse the data for my Segmented PPG idea over in the Top 6 mini-league thread.

* what I mean here is that we can once and for all see if these refinements actually help or not

Relegation APLT: Season End 2017

EDIT: Thought I'd add a clearer version (bottom 7) as well

Just a reminder to folks about the relegation APLT:
PL top 7 are Par 0, so they expect to lose those games home and away.

PL bottom 12/13 are like the traditional APLT- home games are Par 3 which should be won, away games are Par 1 where a draw is considered playing to par.

There was debate about which of Leicester or Everton should be considered top 7 this season. Thankfully not an issue next season, though hopefully Rafa makes it an issue for next season!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1453 on: May 22, 2017, 05:03:17 pm »
I don't understand what these graphs mean, but they're pointless shit.

J/K, wanted to beat someone inevitably saying that to the punch :P

Thanks all, this is by far the sanest thread on the main LFC board, and makes for fascinating reading.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Cotchin

• eel
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #1454 on: May 22, 2017, 11:43:51 pm »
Splitting the season into thirds (13 games 1-13, 12 games 14-25, 13 games 26-38)

Chelsea: 0//1//2
Tottenham: -7//0//3
Man C: -1//-6//-5
Liverpool:1//-13//-2
Arsenal: -3//-6//-6
Man U: -11//0//-10

We all knew it, but worst third of any team this season from this data set. Doesn't factor in how many Par 1's and Par 3's each team had but hard to argue with it.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #1455 on: May 23, 2017, 07:45:24 am »
Splitting the season into thirds (13 games 1-13, 12 games 14-25, 13 games 26-38)

We all knew it, but worst third of any team this season from this data set. Doesn't factor in how many Par 1's and Par 3's each team had but hard to argue with it.
Very interesting.  You have to think if Spurs can get the first period of the season right, they'll be serious contenders.

For us, my worry is that we scraped 4th in the end despite not having European competition.  We need more strength in depth to cope with the additional games, then we need the players recruited to have chance to build the cohesion with the rest of the group.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #1456 on: May 23, 2017, 11:56:50 am »

It's notable that Arsenal's line is actually almost the same as ours, except they had their slump half-a-dozen games later so it isn't all in the same third.  Move their line back four spaces and their season breaks down to -4//-13//+2.  They had a slightly worse start and a little uptick at the end, but otherwise if you plotted the two lines on a graph on their own they'd be pretty close.

I dunno if that says anything useful though.  I don't think of us as being particularly like them to be honest.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1457 on: May 23, 2017, 12:48:53 pm »
Very interesting.  You have to think if Spurs can get the first period of the season right, they'll be serious contenders.

For us, my worry is that we scraped 4th in the end despite not having European competition.  We need more strength in depth to cope with the additional games, then we need the players recruited to have chance to build the cohesion with the rest of the group.

We need a combination of new signings and being able to play our best players more often. I don't think it's a coincidence that our dip in form came when Mane was off at AFCON and Coutinho was out injured. When we played Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Mane, Firmino & Coutinho we were pretty much unstoppable, but we just couldn't put all six on the same pitch often enough. The risk of "burnout" was raised as a possibility based on Klopp's style of football, and with more games next season there'll be more pressure on the squad. Hopefully we can now recruit from a position of strength and keep hold of the "magic six".

Thanks Prof for a great thread. Thanks for everyone's kind words. Sorry I've not been as active as usual.

YNWA
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #1458 on: August 13, 2017, 11:10:30 am »
Are we having one of these for 2017/18? One of my favourite threads.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1459 on: August 13, 2017, 06:53:03 pm »