Author Topic: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)  (Read 43990 times)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Re: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)
« Reply #400 on: June 23, 2016, 08:14:09 pm »
Can't cope with all the name changes but this thread allows me to confirm who is still Solomon Grundy!

:D

That and my avatar. And the Solomon Grundy poem as my custom title. And the fact it has the name Solomon Grundy in it. Apart from that, you'd find it hard to work out who I was mate. ;D

You've got a cheek talking abar name changes anyway Nick. You seem to have a different one every week. :D

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #401 on: May 23, 2017, 11:11:34 pm »

10 years to the day - a decent article (more an overview) on 2007 CL Final in Athens, both on and off the pitch...

http://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/detailed-recollection-2007-ucl-final-off-pitch-athens/

The BBC match report - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6669039.stm

5 minute highlights (for the sadists amongst us) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXOue9h9QTc

and the RAWK match thread on it - https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=178843.0
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:27:16 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #402 on: May 24, 2017, 01:13:41 am »
2007 CL final for me as well. This was when the finals were still being played midweek.
I remember telling everyone in the office that I was leaving work early since the game was at 3pm here in Toronto.
Was so confident going into it and really believed we'd pull off another comeback when Kuyt scored at the last minute.  :-[

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #403 on: May 24, 2017, 12:03:16 pm »
I'm still not fully over last season's Europa League final, to be honest.

That second half...
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: May 24, 2017, 12:12:12 pm »
Here's something for the real arl one's.

My Dad and Uncle used to always talk about the 1950 FA Cup final.  My Dad even once told me that Arsenal's tactics ended up being debated in the House of Commons.  Arsenal kicked shit out of our players, particularly the player who was man marking Billy Liddle.

I can't remember the Arsenal player's name but I remember being told that his name became slang in some parts of Liverpool for somebody who was a shit house.

Although I like to believe that all of the above is true, I'm sure it's not but there's no smoke without fire so is anyone arl enough to elaborate on the above?
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: May 24, 2017, 12:39:37 pm »

My Dad and Uncle used to always talk about the 1950 FA Cup final.  My Dad even once told me that Arsenal's tactics ended up being debated in the House of Commons.  Arsenal kicked shit out of our players, particularly the player who was man marking Billy Liddle.

I can't remember the Arsenal player's name but I remember being told that his name became slang in some parts of Liverpool for somebody who was a shit house.

Although I like to believe that all of the above is true, I'm sure it's not but there's no smoke without fire so is anyone arl enough to elaborate on the above?

Wikipedia has an article on the Final - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_FA_Cup_Final, although it's not very informative.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #406 on: May 24, 2017, 12:50:01 pm »
The 1987 Littlewoods Cuo against Arsenal. The first time Rush had scored and we lost and we just didnt lose at Wembley back then. We also played them off the park and conceded to shitty goals. Deflections I think. United in 1996 was a hard one to stomach too.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #407 on: May 24, 2017, 02:16:41 pm »
United in 1996

there's no need for a thread like this lol

sadistic  :wave
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #408 on: May 24, 2017, 02:34:57 pm »
The 1987 Littlewoods Cuo against Arsenal. The first time Rush had scored and we lost and we just didnt lose at Wembley back then. We also played them off the park and conceded to shitty goals. Deflections I think. United in 1996 was a hard one to stomach too.

Didn't Perry Groves come off the bench and cause us damage? Charlie Nicholas scored both I think. My dad and brother went, I was told next time it would be my turn...had to wait until 2001!

Remember me and my mate bouncing around when Rush scored because in our heads that meant we couldn't lose.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #409 on: May 24, 2017, 02:38:39 pm »

United 1977' although what followed was a bit of a bonus. 40 years ago we were on our way through Florence when the car engine blew. Just caught the last train to Rome and got there early in the morning of the Final.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: May 24, 2017, 02:52:03 pm »
Fuck sakes you should be bumping our winning finals like last week was the anniversary of our UEFA Cup win in 2001.  Not this mate.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #411 on: May 24, 2017, 02:52:25 pm »
Didn't Perry Groves come off the bench and cause us damage? Charlie Nicholas scored both I think. My dad and brother went, I was told next time it would be my turn...had to wait until 2001!

Remember me and my mate bouncing around when Rush scored because in our heads that meant we couldn't lose.
groves set up the winner for nicholas
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: May 25, 2017, 06:56:42 am »
Athens of course

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #413 on: May 25, 2017, 08:28:35 am »
Last years UEFA..... would've made us the 2nd most successful club in Europe... champions league this season and would've got the monkey off JKs back straight away.

And because of the wins over the Mancs and Dortmund it hurt more not winning it

Offline Suedehead

• Smooth operator.......
  • Main Stander
  • Respectful MUFC fan // Long-time lurker
« Reply #414 on: May 25, 2017, 04:40:14 pm »
To restore some parity, losing to Liverpool in Cardiff 2003 was horrible, I was only a teenager and couldn't compute it. Took me a while to get over it. The 2005 FA Cup Final shootout defeat was the toughest to take - battered Arsenal that day. Came off the back of the Glazer takeover and was just a bad, bad week and felt like dark times. Was a bit more mature when losing to Barca in both CL Finals (2009, 2011) and strangely felt quite placid about both defeats - probably because I expected them. Paul Rideout made me cry for days in 1995 - the twat.

Offline Windom Earle

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #415 on: May 25, 2017, 04:56:45 pm »
I'm still not fully over last season's Europa League final, to be honest.

That second half...

Don't.  If we'd had won that, this season would have been very different.  Will never forgive the ref in that match.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #416 on: May 25, 2017, 11:06:29 pm »
United in 1996

there's no need for a thread like this lol

sadistic  :wave

1996 was a tough one for me also, yes because it was them but it was possibly, no thee worse Final in the History of Football to watch win or lose but the Cantona fella getting the winner and the puke inducing commentary during and after killed me.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #417 on: May 26, 2017, 06:17:58 am »
Don't.  If we'd had won that, this season would have been very different.  Will never forgive the ref in that match.

By ref, do you mean Moreno?
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: May 26, 2017, 08:14:03 am »
Definitely the Europa League final last season. As an Aussie living in Liverpool at the time, the 3 months prior attending Anfield were an absolute dream. 9,000 people at the Echo Arena absolutely jumping at half time then Moreno had to go full Moreno in the 2nd half... Would've given anything to attend a Cup parade last season.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #419 on: May 26, 2017, 08:27:42 am »
By ref, do you mean Moreno?
not remember the shambles of a referee in the first half?

can only blame ourselves for the second half (moreno and co included) but the first half we were robbed of two penalties

might well have been out of sight and could have had the game done and dusted before the second half
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:31:06 am by Hellrazor »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline nittinivala

• Anny Roader
« Reply #420 on: May 26, 2017, 09:53:31 am »
Arsenal and Charlie George.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: May 26, 2017, 10:08:16 am »
Last year in Basel, and 2007 in Athens. Both hurt like hell, for different reasons.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: May 27, 2017, 10:03:28 am »
1996, it was brutal in every way.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #423 on: May 27, 2017, 10:27:25 am »
Losing the last two European Finals was particularly painful. Athens because we played very well that night, and the Europa League last season because I really wanted Klopp to land his first trophy afther such a fantastic run to the final.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: May 27, 2017, 10:46:36 am »
Cant we include arsenal 89? micky thomas, and chelsea 2014? both league game si know but a league will mean far more to me than any cup game.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #425 on: May 27, 2017, 10:55:29 am »

Alec Forbes according to this:

'The hopes of Liverpudlians who had managed to get one of the 10,000 tickets the club was allocated out of the 100,000 capacity were pinned on legendary striker Billy Liddell (pictured above meeting King George VI) but Arsenal's defence, marshalled by Alec Forbes and Leslie Compton (brother of Gunners winger and England cricket star Denis), dished out some robust tackling early on in an attempt to reduce the Scot's impact for George Kay's side.

Liddell said afterwards,  "One tackle by Alec upon me aroused a lot of controversy but far be it from me to impute any malicious motives. I am absolutely sure he had none. We had played together for Scotland, and always got on extremely well."

https://storify.com/livecholfc/liverpool-fc-in-the-fa-cup-final

On the Cup Final being debated in Parliament, I can find no record in Hansard. However, what your Dad most probably means is the article in The Spectator by one J.P.W. Mallalieu, MP for Huddersfield:

'Before the match Arsenal knew that the man they must watch most closely was Liddell, Liverpool and Scotland's flyer. If he got loose, anything might happen. He must not get loose. I remember how, years ago, one tough but not particularly skilful Oxford wing faced a much more skilful but rather less tough wing from Cambridge. In the first minute, acting on instructions, the Oxford man tackled his opponent so hard that both finished in the straw. Even fiercer than the tackle was the glare that accompanied it. Thereafter the glare was enough. No further tackles were needed. I consider such tactics fair.

But on Saturday I saw tactics which were unfair. The first time Liddell got the ball an Arsenal defender's foot got the man, not the ball. Free kick to Liverpool. The next time he got the ball he was tripped. Free kick to Liverpool. The next time he got the ball his face collided with an Arsenal fist. The referee missed this one. So it went on while Liddell, and Liverpool, persistently tried to play football.' In' terms of football morality I am no better than I should be. The best I can say for myself is that I set my face steadfastly against fouling by my own team except where it is absolutely necessary and that I set my face against fouling by my opponents except in my own penalty area when the referee is watching. But I don't like fouling by any team in Cup Finals and, thank goodness, very seldom see it.

Were the winners once again " Lucky " Arsenal? No. Just slightly dirty.'

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/5th-may-1950/10/cup-final

The 'debate' continued in the Spectator for some weeks afterwards, with Northerners backing up Mallalieu's words and Southerners pouring scorn on them.

Liddell of course, being a Gentleman, didn't get involved and never - certainly publicly - accused the Arsenal of dirty tactics at that Cup Final.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #426 on: May 27, 2017, 12:40:36 pm »
1996 was a tough one for me also, yes because it was them but it was possibly, no thee worse Final in the History of Football to watch win or lose but the Cantona fella getting the winner and the puke inducing commentary during and after killed me.
Agree with all that.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #427 on: May 27, 2017, 12:57:46 pm »
Every time I see this thread I see Charlie fucking George in my head.
The only time I ever cried at losing a match. The 1971 cup final.  :butt
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: May 28, 2017, 08:40:34 pm »

On the Cup Final being debated in Parliament, I can find no record in Hansard. However, what your Dad most probably means is the article in The Spectator by one J.P.W. Mallalieu, MP for Huddersfield:

'Before the match Arsenal knew that the man they must watch most closely was Liddell, Liverpool and Scotland's flyer. If he got loose, anything might happen. He must not get loose. I remember how, years ago, one tough but not particularly skilful Oxford wing faced a much more skilful but rather less tough wing from Cambridge. In the first minute, acting on instructions, the Oxford man tackled his opponent so hard that both finished in the straw. Even fiercer than the tackle was the glare that accompanied it. Thereafter the glare was enough. No further tackles were needed. I consider such tactics fair.

But on Saturday I saw tactics which were unfair. The first time Liddell got the ball an Arsenal defender's foot got the man, not the ball. Free kick to Liverpool. The next time he got the ball he was tripped. Free kick to Liverpool. The next time he got the ball his face collided with an Arsenal fist. The referee missed this one. So it went on while Liddell, and Liverpool, persistently tried to play football.' In' terms of football morality I am no better than I should be. The best I can say for myself is that I set my face steadfastly against fouling by my own team except where it is absolutely necessary and that I set my face against fouling by my opponents except in my own penalty area when the referee is watching. But I don't like fouling by any team in Cup Finals and, thank goodness, very seldom see it.

Were the winners once again " Lucky " Arsenal? No. Just slightly dirty.'

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/5th-may-1950/10/cup-final

The 'debate' continued in the Spectator for some weeks afterwards, with Northerners backing up Mallalieu's words and Southerners pouring scorn on them.

Liddell of course, being a Gentleman, didn't get involved and never - certainly publicly - accused the Arsenal of dirty tactics at that Cup Final.

Interesting.  I always thought there was no truth in it whatsoever but there'd be a lot more 'Chinese Whispers' in those days and I can see how the rumour came about.  It'd be interesting to know from any arl Scousers on here whether somebody got called a 'Forbes' or if it was a 'Compton', after backing down from a fight.

On the 10,000 ticket allocation, I might have this slightly wrong as it's based on my memory, of my Dad's memory but in those days nobody was expecting anywhere near 10,000 to travel down to Wembley but Liverpool was well over subscribed.  They ended up doing a ballot where you sent a stamped addressed envelope to the ticket office.  The lucky ones who were picked out had a ticket office stamp on them and returned to the address.  You then took the envelope back to the ticket office again to get your ticket.

The anger over this match lasted a long, long time and still gets mentioned by the arl ones.

For me though it was the 87 Littlewoods Cup Final.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!