Author Topic: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)  (Read 43967 times)

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2016, 04:17:04 pm »
Athens 2007, although losing the league in 13/14 hurt more than any cup final.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2016, 04:18:03 pm »
I'd got used to it by then. The toughest for me was the 1914 Cup Final. Freeman's goal for Burnley was miles offside and Ephraim Longworth had a shot cleared off the line. From where I was standing the ball looked over but that Geordie bastard Herbert Bamlett didn't even consult his linesmen.

It was disappointing when the Great War was announced a few weeks later but for me Bamlett's decision was still the worst one of 1914.

Was not offside, the daily news sketch artist picture clearly showed this the next day.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2016, 04:21:36 pm »
It's still the 1977 FA Cup Final for me.

I'm pretty sure I was in a similar situation at the time, a couple of years older, but I have no clear recollections of the game. I think events the following week washed my juvenile pain away.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2016, 04:34:29 pm »

Agree about that, Finals I can at least look back on most times to see where or why it went wrong, but that game against Chelsea still leaves me numb, hate even thinking about it.

Anyway, I'm all upbeat for tonight, so think I leave this thread for a while!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2016, 04:37:15 pm »
I'd got used to it by then. The toughest for me was the 1914 Cup Final. Freeman's goal for Burnley was miles offside and Ephraim Longworth had a shot cleared off the line. From where I was standing the ball looked over but that Geordie bastard Herbert Bamlett didn't even consult his linesmen.

It was disappointing when the Great War was announced a few weeks later but for me Bamlett's decision was still the worst one of 1914. 

:D Imagine having to wait til the war was over to right that grievance too!

Might have imagined it but I'm sure there used to be a poster on here who went under the name Ephraim Longworth!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »
:D Imagine having to wait til the war was over to right that grievance too!

Might have imagined it but I'm sure there used to be a poster on here who went under the name Ephraim Longworth!
thats right i remember that now

maybe it was him lol
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ricen

• peas
  • Kopite
  • "That's how you get ants."
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2016, 04:57:15 pm »
I will never forget the feeling in '07 when Rafa sprinted onto the field smacking his watch when the ref blew the whistle after 2:46 of injury time. I really believed that we would have equalized in the last few seconds, the way we were playing.

also...that crap from inzaghi about how they "practiced" the free kick that went off his back and wrong footed reina
"Not all who wander are lost, not all that glitters is gold."

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2016, 05:08:16 pm »
1996 FA Cup, I haven't even seen highlights or anything from that game. In fact I managed to avoid the goal replay for nearly 5 years!

I was surprisingly ok after 2007. Of course I was gutted but I think I was being pragmatic and fair about them being better in 05 but us snatching it from them. Another factor was I thought our era of European dominance was just getting started and another final was only a few years away. If I knew then what would follow, it'd probably feel worse.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2016, 05:16:41 pm »
Cheers G,

I thought i'd erased that memory.

I was in the Kemlyn rd right next to the gooners & there was banter flying big time.

That brought back singing 'we'll do the double again' right up to the last kick of the game..and that indirect free kick went straight in.

That is right up there with the biggest disappointments i've ever had watching the reds.

Was 11 and I cried myself to sleep straight after that game. Gutted. 
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2016, 06:14:48 pm »
Definitely FA Cup final in 1971 but more for Charlie George's celebration than the actual match itself!
This was my first real final. Broke my heart. For many a year I wondered why Alec Lindsay didn't run over and stand on the scruffy horse faced cockney git. (He was a very good player actually, but when you are 12 ...)
And then Shanks lifted us up the next day with his speech telling us we were the people, and that not even Chairman Mao could put on a show of Red Strength like the one that day. Oh memories!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2016, 06:18:23 pm »
The '96 Cup Final for me because it was against that lot and because we let ourselves down so badly on the day with our poor performance.  They weren't any better, but nobody remembers that now because of the result.

They may have just won the championship, but we'd beaten them well at Anfield that season and we'd also have beaten them at their place if the ref hadn't gifted them a penalty.

I don't remember much about the game itself other than those horrendous white suits (David James' brainwave that) and us conceding from a poorly defended set piece (some things haven't changed eh).

I just hope we twat them over the two legs of the Europa and send them into full crisis mode.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2016, 06:37:51 pm »
The '96 Cup Final for me because it was against that lot and because we let ourselves down so badly on the day with our poor performance.  They weren't any better, but nobody remembers that now because of the result.

They may have just won the championship, but we'd beaten them well at Anfield that season and we'd also have beaten them at their place if the ref hadn't gifted them a penalty.

I don't remember much about the game itself other than those horrendous white suits (David James' brainwave that) and us conceding from a poorly defended set piece (some things haven't changed eh).

I just hope we twat them over the two legs of the Europa and send them into full crisis mode.

Rushy's last ever game for us and my abiding memory is of him distraught on the turf at the final whistle. Think James's flap deflected off him to Cantona too.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2016, 12:04:29 am »
Without doubt, the 96 cup final loss to United hurt the most for me. I'll never forgive Jamie Redknapp for shitting out of putting his head in the way of Cantona's shot. If Carra or Sami had been standing where Redknapp was then I've no they'd have been putting their heads in the way the before the ball even left Cantona's boot.

As strange as this may sound, the 07 CL final defeat to Milan wore off me pretty quickly. Obviously, I was gutted we lost a European cup final. Picking up a 6th one would have been monumentally epic. But I didn't cry in my pint that night

I still remember Maldini, having the courtesy to stay out on the pitch in Istanbul to congratulate our players in the midst of all the madness. Even though his team mates had gone down the tunnel to sob their eyes out, he took it on the chin and showed what a class player and captain he was

So when I saw him lift big ears in 07, I thought fair fucks to him, I'm not going to begrudge him.
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2016, 12:13:05 am »
Just realised, bit uncanny but after tonight results we could be on course to meet Dortmond in the EL Final. 50 years on from when they broke my heart as explained in my OP in the Cup winners Cup Final in 1966!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2016, 12:27:30 am »
87 against Arsenal, 2001 was karma for that.
88 Wimbledon, fucking ref not playing advantage, Beardsley put it in the net, but ref pulled it back for a free kick to us, then Aldo's missed penalty. :butt
07 Milan, we were the better side, Milan shouldn't have been in the competition, due to there part in the match fixing scandal in Serie A, which they were punished for the previous summer but allowed to keep there CL place. :butt
#Sausages

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2016, 12:37:20 am »
Whilst it obviously wasn't anywhere near the level of disappointment of the 96 cup final I've got to say losing to City last week stung me as hard as any due to the look of devastation on my eldest boy's face at the end. I'll never forget it. Can't wait for the day we see our first cup win together.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2016, 12:53:20 am »
Whilst it obviously wasn't anywhere near the level of disappointment of the 96 cup final I've got to say losing to City last week stung me as hard as any due to the look of devastation on my eldest boy's face at the end. I'll never forget it. Can't wait for the day we see our first cup win together.

Felt the same when Chelsea beat us in Cardiff, my little girl with the liver bird painted on her cheek was gutted. As I said in my OP she grew out of footy a few years later, so would have loved to have won that one for the same reasons as yourself.

But don't worry your day will come!

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2016, 12:53:23 am »
96 FA Cup final was the first time I'd ever felt fucking horrible watching football, was 11 at the time and that's the moment I realised what all this supporting malarky was about.

07 Athens was gut wrenching and I wasn't fond of the Chelsea final defeat in 12.
:D

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2016, 01:11:51 am »
Don't know why but the Wimbledon final is the only time I've ever cried in disappointment after a game. Was 16 at the time so maybe it was teenage hormones. Cried a few times when we've won though.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2016, 05:14:33 am »
Not a cup final, but that Chelsea game in 13/14. My blood begins to boil every fucking time I remember it - and I don't want to, but some things are hard to forget.

It was heartbreaking then, it's still heartbreaking now.

Offline carven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2016, 05:36:30 am »

Same here.
In fact it took me like 3 years or so before I even re-watched the highlights of the 2007 Final.  :(
I've not seen the highlights for the Chelsea and Crystal Palace games of 13/14...yet.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2016, 05:39:04 am »
07 Athens. It's been mentioned a couple of times, but not enough - what the fuck was up with the ref blowing up well before time? I was convinced we were going to equalise - even the commentators were saying "spirit of Istanbul" and all that.

We had a good half minute or so to play, and we were just about to launch it u towards Peter Crouch.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2016, 05:41:58 am »
96 cup final. I was thinking "so now I know what that Crystal Palace fan felt like when Cantona kung fu'd him".

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2016, 05:45:17 am »
Not a cup final, but that Chelsea game in 13/14. My blood begins to boil every fucking time I remember it - and I don't want to, but some things are hard to forget.

It was heartbreaking then, it's still heartbreaking now.

Same here man. Although it was the next Palace game that made me literally cry. Something about that scene of Suarez sobbing and Gerrard consoling him.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2016, 06:48:17 am »
Juventus in '85. Because of what happened that night, much more than the result. Still can't believe the game was played.

After that, it's Wimbledon.

Possibly the worst though, is when we lost the league title to Arsenal.

85 is a game that shouldn't have been played, certainly not that night. The result is irrelevant.

I have great memories of the Barnes inspired team of 87-91. Whilst we superb, we also lost some crucial games. Wimbledon FA cup final, Arsenal last game of the league, Crystal Palace FA cup semi, Everton FA cup replay.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2016, 08:31:08 am »
Athens 2007. Both mentally for obvious reasons; and physically after being hit several times with a police baton and tear gassed - for no apparent reason I hasten to add. All in all a horrible experience.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2016, 08:46:03 am »
07 Athens. It's been mentioned a couple of times, but not enough - what the fuck was up with the ref blowing up well before time? I was convinced we were going to equalise - even the commentators were saying "spirit of Istanbul" and all that.

We had a good half minute or so to play, and we were just about to launch it u towards Peter Crouch.
they were to add on 3 minutes, they played about 2.44 and blew up as we were launching an attack

i think milan brought on a sub in injury time too

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2016, 08:52:23 am »
i think last night if we go through should put some demons aside from 1996

them with their white shirts and so called wall

and they didnt turn up

we were the better team last night and wanted it more.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2016, 09:09:47 am »
Athens 07, or Wimbledon 88.

Was at both and cant decide which. Maybe Athens just shades it
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2016, 10:46:10 am »

;D

Shame there was no goal line technology back then.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2016, 04:22:44 pm »
May not be so important or have hurt some but the '84 charity shield vs Everton done my head in too.

A Brucie own goal separated the teams,Dalglish missed a glorious chance which still haunts me.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2016, 05:14:23 pm »
I'm too young for most of the examples in this thread, but Chelsea 13/14 was my all time lowest moment in football. It wasn't a cup final but it might as well have been.

It was truly, truly traumatic. I've never seen the highlights or even any footage from that game. All my memories are so blurry that I didn't even remember Aspas' corner until someone jokingly mentioned it in this thread a few weeks ago. I kind of remember Gerrard trying to shoot from whichever angle, Schwarzer with a decent save to deny Suarez (though really the shot was in the middle). It was such a frustrating game.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2016, 06:23:20 pm »
That 87 Milk Cup final that a lot of people have mentioned, I also vividly remember the whole when Rush scores first LFC never lose line.

Not a final but that FA semi-final classic against Palace in 90 was it, I cried after that one.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2016, 10:46:30 pm »
That 87 Milk Cup final that a lot of people have mentioned, I also vividly remember the whole when Rush scores first LFC never lose line.

Not a final but that FA semi-final classic against Palace in 90 was it, I cried after that one.
Coming away from Wembley on the coach... And we were stuck in traffic... Load of cockneys in a car hanging out the sunroof singing across the junction from us. ... This lad on the top deck got a 2ltre bottle of water minus the top through the the bars of the sun roof of the coach and flicked it hard. The bottle sailed across the road and smacked them full square on the roof. Soaked them. Our coach erupted in revengeful joy. Still gutted but we pissed ourselves for about 10 minutes of a long long road home
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2016, 10:55:55 pm »
In terms of history '77 must have been bad.  Simply becasue it stopped the treble.  I was too young to remember.  Wimbledon one was gutting as it stopped a double.  Worst for me was 2007 as Milan was there for the taking.  Still not sure how we didn't win that.  Most recent one is disappointing as the first trophy is hardest and I wanted it for Klopp.  But 2007 CL for me.

Offline serpentnebula

• Main Stander
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2016, 11:13:01 pm »
The FA Cup Final in '96 is the one that stands out for me. It was such a sloppy goal for us to concede. I remember the footage afterwards of one of the stands at Wembley being completely empty except for one Red who was sitting there crying. Utterly sickening defeat. I don't think the team ever fully recovered from it until Houllier took over in 98.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:16:14 pm by serpentnebula »

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2016, 12:08:21 am »
only 23 so haven't seen us lose many. athens just made me feel numb, I think i'd have to say I was most angry after that carling cup final defeat to chelsea when stevie scored the own goal.

got the last laugh there though, fuckers

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2016, 12:08:27 am »
Athens 2007. I just felt we didn't give ourselves the best chance to win that game. It's a real shame we didn't set up different and pose Milan a different set of questions.

Offline Hawk

• Kemlynite
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2016, 12:42:44 am »
1971 FA cup final against Arsenal and the worst I've ever felt after a match was the 1977 final against United. I'm still pissed off that "Sir" Bob Paisley never lifted the FA cup.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2016, 01:10:45 am »
'96 against Utd for me. I was 10 and was so excited for the game... I cried my eyes out afterwards :( Still pains me when I see everyone move out of the way of Cantona's shot! Still, I think it's important... Happily we've been able to celebrate a lot of trophies over the years but you need the odd painful loss to fully appreciate the good times.

I'm too young for most of the examples in this thread, but Chelsea 13/14 was my all time lowest moment in football. It wasn't a cup final but it might as well have been.

It was truly, truly traumatic. I've never seen the highlights or even any footage from that game. All my memories are so blurry that I didn't even remember Aspas' corner until someone jokingly mentioned it in this thread a few weeks ago. I kind of remember Gerrard trying to shoot from whichever angle, Schwarzer with a decent save to deny Suarez (though really the shot was in the middle). It was such a frustrating game.

Yeah :( Jesus.. To be honest the whole following season was a blur for me.. I was so gutted we didn't win the league that I kind of emotionally disconnected until Klopp came in and snapped me out of it. I mean, I was still watching the games but I felt pretty numb to them for ages.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:16:25 am by Slick_Beef »