Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1736363 times)

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lets Improve the Atmosphere at Anfield (split from Fortress Anfield)
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2014, 02:19:36 pm »
It might be tough for the Club to explain away to the police but what about a happy hour up to an hour before kickoff?
Get people in early and get their voice boxes lubricated.

Offline Max999

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2014, 03:32:59 pm »
It might be tough for the Club to explain away to the police but what about a happy hour up to an hour before kickoff?

I've always thought that the club should do cheap beer in the concourse which would lead to people getting in early and more singing in the concourses before the games etc. (presumably more money for them too long term as they're selling more although it'll be a smaller profit per beer). One issue with it that I came up with was that it'd damage businesses around the ground.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:34:49 pm by Max999 »

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »

The club can tell the police that it's about time that football fans were treated on equal terms as spectators of other sports. The dark days are long gone but we're second class citizens in comparison.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that my earliest memories of going to games in the seventies consist of the smell of beer breath and we were loud then. I don't live in the UK any more but went back for four games two seasons ago and a great many of our fans looked to me as if they'd prefer an iced tea or a bottle of Perrier to a bevy. Call me a nostalgic bastard but I miss the rawness of how it used to be.

Offline El jefe

• Kopite
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2014, 03:48:33 pm »
It's sad when Crystal Palace are far more innovative than us. They've got an area where mates can group together and anyone that wants to sing can go. They're allowed to do so because of the ticketing by the club. Our club would rather sell corporate tickets in the Kop and tickets to families and day-trippers. Until that problem is sorted out nothing will change.

Ultimately for me though, nothing will probably change unless safe standing is introduced. 9/10 away fans in the league stand. The boys in 304 stand. The kop stands during big games and European nights and the atmosphere is better. It's not even like safety is the reason. It's far less safe to stand in all seater stand/or stadium. Than it is to stand in an area designated for standing & seating (the multi purpose ones in Germany/Australia.)

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2014, 03:58:03 pm »
Ultimately for me though, nothing will probably change unless safe standing is introduced. 9/10 away fans in the league stand. The boys in 304 stand. The kop stands during big games and European nights and the atmosphere is better. It's not even like safety is the reason. It's far less safe to stand in all seater stand/or stadium. Than it is to stand in an area designated for standing & seating (the multi purpose ones in Germany/Australia.)
FWIW, I agree with you completely on this. It'll be difficult to make it happen, but if we want the atmosphere to improve, we ultimately need to get safe standing in place.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2014, 04:13:39 pm »
It's sad when Crystal Palace are far more innovative than us. They've got an area where mates can group together and anyone that wants to sing can go. They're allowed to do so because of the ticketing by the club. Our club would rather sell corporate tickets in the Kop and tickets to families and day-trippers. Until that problem is sorted out nothing will change.

As we know, LFC set up a  fan's committee set up who can take ideas to the club...we should be lobbying them to look at what works elsewhere....
Believer

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2014, 08:01:55 pm »

Crystal Palace aren't Liverpool. They don't have a season ticket waiting list and they had just 93% attendance last season in a 26,000 seater stadium. In their eight seasons in the Football League their fantastic fans averaged around 10,000 below capacity.

In those circumstances it's not hard to allocate special areas for their 'Ultras'.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Card Cheat

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2014, 08:11:32 pm »
Isn't there are fair degree of ironic self deprecation to Palace's Ultras, or are they actually a serious bunch?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2014, 09:22:57 pm »

Hey, let's pick identify the good stuff first. Our aim is to improve the atmosphere, not to avoid something others have done. If Palace have found something that works, and if that something is to group mates together, then we know where to start. Or, one possible place to start. And then we can use the idea, develop it and make it our own.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2014, 08:30:15 am »
Lib Dems have come out in favour of safe standing.

On Sunday I'm going to write a nice big email to some of the committee and the club with some of the better ideas from this thread, anyone want to help?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2014, 09:57:15 am »

On Sunday I'm going to write a nice big email to some of the committee and the club with some of the better ideas from this thread, anyone want to help?

I'd be happy to take a look over it. Although maybe just post it up on here and let people comment as may get a few more ideas out of it?

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2014, 10:05:12 am »

Good idea mate, would be happy to give it a read too if you'd like some constructive criticism! While there are many ideas in this thread, there's quite a few which although ideal, wouldn't be possible from a logistical and/or ££ basis. If we could maybe club together something which the club can relate to and not easily dismiss, it'd be interesting to get their feedback.

Hadn't read about the Lib Dems, but it was news from today! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28891645
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:11:35 am by RainbowTrout »
YNWA.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2014, 10:48:40 am »
Lib dems promise a lot of things. 

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2014, 10:59:45 am »
Lib dems promise a lot of things. 

True, but I like the fact they are now raising it on the political stage. This will hopefully get co-opted by other parties and start to gain traction enough for a political consensus to develop around it.

The Lib Dems may be many things, but I'm happy to back them in this if it means in 5 years time we get a change in the law.

Offline tjtaylor182

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2014, 12:21:00 pm »
The only way we could get a better atmoshpere, in my opinion, is if we moved the current singing section from the 300s forward. Currently I stand in there every week and it sounds loud but then I get home and everyone seems to not be able to hear any of the singing.

I think that the singing section should be moved to 208 or 203 and 202. That way people could still sing and stand and not interupt anyones view, but they would be closer to the pitch. Eventually it would be nice if 108 and 103 and 102 got invoulved too. Then we could have a huge singing section one side of the kop which people could actually hear.

The other benefit of moving the singing section here is that it has very few season ticket holders there and tickets are generally available to members in these sections. Therefore people would have no problem moving their season tickets there and would have no problem sitting together in groups that want to sing.

This in my opinion is what we should be emailing the supporters comittee about and is a reasonable first step towards improving the atmosphere. I think there is enough singning at Anfild currently. The problem is that only the people in the 300s can hear it. Move these people down and everyone would be able to hear the amazing support that occurs up in these areas.

Offline us_col

• Anny Roader
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2014, 01:22:53 pm »
The best supporters we have are the travelling kop.

They can out sing anyone at the grounds they go to.

They should be given priority seating in the kop - middle-center.

They could be given this by retaining their ticket stubbs from away matches when they apply for a ST.

Implement it when the new main stand comes along.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:49:32 pm by us_col »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2014, 08:17:46 pm »
Apologies, I've been busier than I thought today. I'll write that letter another day :)

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2014, 08:21:17 pm »

Beer is nothing to do with a good atmosphere,  attitude of the fans is.   I like a few pints a much as anyone and you don't need to drink to put yourself in the mood for the match. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:41 pm »

They could be given this by retaining their ticket stubbs from away matches when they apply for a ST.

With a bit of tweaking, something like that might actually just work.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Block G Raptor

• Kopite
  • Cóir do na Nócha Sé
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2014, 09:35:11 pm »
If the owners have the will then it's achievable. The way forward is to concentrate on The Kop first.

No Thomas Cook type tickets should be sold there.

Only fans who have shown loyalty in respect of attendance should be allowed to buy tickets there. As a few have mentioned, it should be a privilege to be on The Kop and I'd add, mandatory to take part in the rituals.

An expansion of the singing section should be planned using a simple system of allowing fans to indicate on their Fan Cards, a preference for tickets there. (Surely that's not too difficult a task for the club to carry out?)

In my opinion a lot of the old atmosphere would automatically return if safe standing was allowed therefore negating much of the need of the above. I've yet to be convinced but am edging towards it.

The embarrassment of yesterday shouldn't be allowed to happen again but we all know that until the club start listening to the hardcore fans it will repeat for most games this season and so on. I respect that the club have to achieve as much match day revenue as possible by selling all sorts of packages that means Anfield is sometimes over run with tourists but they're not looking at the big picture when this is at the expense of atmosphere. Surely and I fucking hate saying this word, the 'brand' is worth more to the owners if Anfield is rocking.
I strongly disagree with this, I live in Dublin and only get to 3 or 4 games a year. I want to be on the Kop singing my HEAD OFF for 90 mins!!! its the best part of going to football for me

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2014, 09:41:35 pm »
Its good to hear the other side of the coin too. What do you think to other ideas on here?

Offline Block G Raptor

• Kopite
  • Cóir do na Nócha Sé
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2014, 09:52:42 pm »
Its good to hear the other side of the coin too. What do you think to other ideas on here?
Most of them are good, mates sitting together is a brilliant one. I am vehemently opposed to a return to standing in any guise as I've stated plenty of times on here.

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 8, 2014, 10:04:41 pm »
kop v Southampton

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #183 on: September 8, 2014, 10:42:10 pm »
^ massively photoshopped by the looks of it.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 8, 2014, 10:49:51 pm »
^ massively photoshopped by the looks of it.
Nah, it was a hot day, everybody had sunburn.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #185 on: September 9, 2014, 05:41:04 am »
Atmosphere at English games is pretty crap in terms of organised chanting/singing, tifo etc.

Got a few English mates over here in Oz who mention "the noise" at English games ... but who gives a shit about random yelling at the linesman, referee, or when ur team wins a corner - that's not atmosphere in my book.

To me, LFC fans are the best in the league but unless it's a big game at Anfield, its seems rather quiet otherwise for most games.

Maybe the club should look at having 'capos' on specially made stands in the Kop ... one in the middle & 1 to each side ... like they have in the stands in continental Europe & Latin America. It's difficult to get an entire stand singing if the singing is only being started in a certain section of the stand. Need ppl spread out and trying to get everyone in the stand involved.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 9, 2014, 01:15:17 pm »
kop v Southampton

Your not taking photographs at the match are you ;)

Just kidding

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »

Yes I agree.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2014, 05:14:29 pm »
Giving away going fans preference assumes that a. they don't go the match already, and b. the various things that effect how they act on away trips will be the same at home (cost, travel, drink, friends, etc.)

The latter is why a lot of the home going fans don't make noise now, and if those don't change giving preference to the away goers probably wouldn't change much.

Offline Wrigley

• Anny Roader
  • To Lead, You must follow.
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2014, 09:58:46 pm »
True, but I like the fact they are now raising it on the political stage. This will hopefully get co-opted by other parties and start to gain traction enough for a political consensus to develop around it.

The Lib Dems may be many things, but I'm happy to back them in this if it means in 5 years time we get a change in the law.

no one talks about free university anymore either though unfortunately, and governments can hide behind naysayers who don't have the open mindness to even comprehend a better way. The obvious way forward is safe standing.
'The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.' -Bill Shankly

Offline Max999

• Anny Roader
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:40 pm »
Maybe the club should look at having 'capos' on specially made stands in the Kop ... one in the middle & 1 to each side ... like they have in the stands in continental Europe & Latin America. It's difficult to get an entire stand singing if the singing is only being started in a certain section of the stand. Need ppl spread out and trying to get everyone in the stand involved.

Will never and should never happen IMO, the Kop is a spontaneous thing anything organised would be killing what it stands for.

On the away fans point that'd be great but I'd wager that 50%+ of those making all the noise aren't there on their own ticket, they'll be using spares etc. Also away atmosphere will always be different for the factors someone mentioned above about the travel, standing etc.

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2014, 12:38:19 pm »
The club could sort this out easily if they wanted. But they dont. They are happy just taking in the money.

If I was in charge I would be looking at eventually turning the entire Kop into a safe standing official singing stand. People complain that 'oh official singing sections are embarrassing and they are engineered atmospheres'... Well I'd rather have an engineered atmosphere than no atmosphere. Plus, singing sections arent engineered atmospheres, they are simply getting all those who want to sing in the one place rather than having them dotted about the ground surrounded by grumpy bastards who don't make a sound.

I'd be looking at having the Kop made up of mostly season ticket holders and not people who want to just visit the Kop for a day because its the famous Kop. Not a problem with day trippers as I'm from Scotland so technically I'm one of them when I go to the games. If its season ticket holders or members though they are about just going to the game with their mates as they do it all the time. I'd be getting people sat in groups so they can be sat with their mates and not all split up. End of the day though, until the club helps out, t's impossible to really sort this out.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:40:03 pm by The Batman. »
“It’s everything. For the people of Liverpool, football is a way of life. For many other cites or countries it’s a sport and it’s a pastime but football here is a way of life”

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2014, 02:33:05 pm »
The club could sort this out easily if they wanted. But they dont. They are happy just taking in the money.

They've tried to help, with RTK originally and since with moving people where they can to the 'singing sections'.

If I was in charge I would be looking at eventually turning the entire Kop into a safe standing official singing stand. People complain that 'oh official singing sections are embarrassing and they are engineered atmospheres'... Well I'd rather have an engineered atmosphere than no atmosphere. Plus, singing sections arent engineered atmospheres, they are simply getting all those who want to sing in the one place rather than having them dotted about the ground surrounded by grumpy bastards who don't make a sound.

You say the club could 'sort this out easily' then your first suggestion is probably the hardest thing possible. Not only because their is little to no Govt. support for standing, but because the Hillsborough families don't support any sort of standing at football.

I'd be looking at having the Kop made up of mostly season ticket holders and not people who want to just visit the Kop for a day because its the famous Kop. Not a problem with day trippers as I'm from Scotland so technically I'm one of them when I go to the games. If its season ticket holders or members though they are about just going to the game with their mates as they do it all the time. I'd be getting people sat in groups so they can be sat with their mates and not all split up. End of the day though, until the club helps out, t's impossible to really sort this out.

ST's in there are one of the main problems, as there are a lot who go to every game but have no interest in adding to the atmosphere. You could argue allowing less ST's in there would free up space for mates to get tickets next to each other as you suggest.

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2014, 02:48:46 pm »
They've tried to help, with RTK originally and since with moving people where they can to the 'singing sections'.

You say the club could 'sort this out easily' then your first suggestion is probably the hardest thing possible. Not only because their is little to no Govt. support for standing, but because the Hillsborough families don't support any sort of standing at football.

ST's in there are one of the main problems, as there are a lot who go to every game but have no interest in adding to the atmosphere. You could argue allowing less ST's in there would free up space for mates to get tickets next to each other as you suggest.

The club arent arsed about trying to improve the atmosphere. We all know it.

The season tickets in the Kop wouldnt be just anyone getting them, it would be those who are going to participate in the singing.

The safe standing will come in eventually. It just will, there is far too much support for it among the fans. I understand the Hillsborough groups being against standing but IMO, and I dont want to offend anyone here so I'll try word this carefully, but safe standing is nothing to do with what happened at Hillsborough. It works in Germany perfectly, hence why it is called SAFE standing. It works. The Hillsborough groups should be respected and helped in any way they can be, but it doesnt make sense to me that if safe standing comes into the game and the majority of the match going supporters want it that it shouldnt be put in due to the support groups stance on it.
“It’s everything. For the people of Liverpool, football is a way of life. For many other cites or countries it’s a sport and it’s a pastime but football here is a way of life”

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2014, 03:33:23 pm »
The club arent arsed about trying to improve the atmosphere. We all know it.

The club moved people who wanted to be moved to the 'singing sections' a few summers ago, and did so before that with RTK.

There's other things too which could be done, but a lot of what is mentioned in here is unworkable.

The season tickets in the Kop wouldnt be just anyone getting them, it would be those who are going to participate in the singing.

How would you decide who they are and how would you enforce it? What happens if they then don't sing?

The safe standing will come in eventually. It just will, there is far too much support for it among the fans. I understand the Hillsborough groups being against standing but IMO, and I dont want to offend anyone here so I'll try word this carefully, but safe standing is nothing to do with what happened at Hillsborough. It works in Germany perfectly, hence why it is called SAFE standing. It works. The Hillsborough groups should be respected and helped in any way they can be, but it doesnt make sense to me that if safe standing comes into the game and the majority of the match going supporters want it that it shouldnt be put in due to the support groups stance on it.

I agree, however you said it was easy for the club to sort it out, yet standing (which was your main suggestion) is not an easy thing to sort at all for any club, let alone our own for obvious reasons.

Offline The Batman.

• Kopite
  • I'm Batman...
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2014, 03:37:42 pm »
The club moved people who wanted to be moved to the 'singing sections' a few summers ago, and did so before that with RTK.

There's other things too which could be done, but a lot of what is mentioned in here is unworkable.

How would you decide who they are and how would you enforce it? What happens if they then don't sing?

I agree, however you said it was easy for the club to sort it out, yet standing (which was your main suggestion) is not an easy thing to sort at all for any club, let alone our own for obvious reasons.

I know its not easy to do right now which is why I deliberately said i'd EVENTUALLY be looking at trying to have it a safe standing section. After it is approved.

As for the club, yes they could improve it easily if they wanted to. Lower ticket prices, let people sit with their mates more, stop forcing everybody to sit down, stop trying to have people stop swearing etc etc etc.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »
Lower ticket prices, let people sit with their mates more, stop forcing everybody to sit down, stop trying to have people stop swearing etc etc etc.

They aren't going to lower the ticket prices, not without it being a league wide thing with competitors lowering the prices too. We already bring in less than most the others (larger stadiums and/or London prices) by a huge degree without lowering them even more.

Agreed with the mates thing, but then again the club have done this with ST holders over the last 4 or 5 years with trying to move people where they can. The issue is there is a finite space in the Kop and without pushing others out it's not an easy task.

The club can't NOT enforce the sitting down. It's the laws the club has to live by, and not doing so results in sanctions against the club. I imagine the same goes for excessive swearing (I have a mouth like a sailor and haven't been told to not swear in my 20+ years of having a season ticket).

You've still not said how you'd decide who would be allowed a new ST in the Kop and how you'd enforce them singing?

Offline OldBloke

• Kopite
  • In the 5th, my ass goes down.
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2014, 04:56:29 pm »
It's not worth talking about, because there is no solution that the Police would allow!

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2014, 05:05:27 pm »
Waste of time, it's a thing of the past. Big European games may get going only because the stewards can't target one or two loud mouths as everyones up for it. I can't swear, stand, chant, heckle, throw stuff, its all gone.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2014, 05:10:40 pm »
I can't swear, stand, chant, heckle, throw stuff, its all gone.

Damn not being able to throw stuff, those annoying stewards them.