Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 360629 times)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Tablet Computing Thread
« Reply #5320 on: March 1, 2016, 01:50:20 pm »

You can install Kodi and Acestream on Android.
Can you suggest a good android tablet just for streaming using kodi and acestream then? [emoji2]

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5321 on: March 1, 2016, 01:53:30 pm »
Can you suggest a good android tablet just for streaming using kodi and acestream then? [emoji2]

Haha not really I have an Ipad and was actually thinking about buying a Surface.................  ;D

Just thought that the Surface was a very expensive way to stream football.  The Nexus 9 would do the job I'm sure.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5322 on: March 1, 2016, 01:54:02 pm »

Haha not really I have an Ipad and was actually thinking about buying a Surface.................  ;D

Just thought that the Surface was a very expensive way to stream football.  The Nexus 9 would do the job I'm sure.
[emoji23] Thanks mate.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #5323 on: March 1, 2016, 03:13:58 pm »

Sony works for me :wave

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5324 on: March 1, 2016, 03:20:07 pm »

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5325 on: March 1, 2016, 03:26:04 pm »
Phuk yoo

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5326 on: March 2, 2016, 10:03:55 pm »
Xperia Z4 tablet
Seems a lot more expensive than I can get a Surface Pro 2 for!

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #5327 on: March 21, 2016, 07:24:54 pm »
Bought a Linx 1010b today. Full windows 10 in a tablet with attachable keyboard.

I'm pretty impressed and will continue to have a play with it. For only £140 its a bit of a steal.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #5328 on: March 25, 2016, 02:08:03 pm »
Little bit of help needed.

Just got myself a Asus Zenpad C7.0 ,so far I'm happy with it but just the one problem,

when I'm using it for Zwift (online cycling program) my Bluetooth connection to my speakers (for my music player) falls away, I did notice that lots of my apps extra were being updated so could that be the reason why?

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5329 on: March 25, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »
Bought a Linx 1010b today. Full windows 10 in a tablet with attachable keyboard.

I'm pretty impressed and will continue to have a play with it. For only £140 its a bit of a steal.

Was looking to get one of them,i'm going blind with this HP Stream 7

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #5330 on: March 25, 2016, 07:41:14 pm »
Really stuck between getting a new laptop or a tablet. I only want something to stream films on, browse Internet, Skype etc.

I'll be doing quite a bit of typing on here and I used uTorrent quite a lot on my laptop before it broke so just wandering if this would be ideal on a tablet.

Help?
Justice for the 97

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5331 on: March 28, 2016, 08:00:45 am »
Really stuck between getting a new laptop or a tablet. I only want something to stream films on, browse Internet, Skype etc.

I'll be doing quite a bit of typing on here and I used uTorrent quite a lot on my laptop before it broke so just wandering if this would be ideal on a tablet.

Help?

an android tablet will easily suffice for your needs. If you do not intend to use your tablet for serious work like photoshop, MS excel, Projects etc, you will be fine with a good tablet.

Phuk yoo

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5332 on: March 28, 2016, 11:11:53 am »
Got a Galaxy Tab 4 (won it in a work raffle) but it's still on Lollipop.  Anyone know when they're likely to throw Marshmallow onto it?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5333 on: March 28, 2016, 12:01:07 pm »
Got a Galaxy Tab 4 (won it in a work raffle) but it's still on Lollipop.  Anyone know when they're likely to throw Marshmallow onto it?

They wont in all likelihood. Samsung are poor when it comes to updating their non flagship devices. Dont hold your breath.
Phuk yoo

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5334 on: April 5, 2016, 08:35:27 am »
Got a Kindle HD10 and have put showbox on it but it won't play the films or any series on it (will play trailers). Any boffins out there with the answer to help this dinosaur sort it out? (My 15 year old lad probably can but it's like trying to speak to a sloth).
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #5335 on: April 5, 2016, 11:58:40 pm »
Has anyone got an IPad Pro 9.7 yet? How does it compare to the IPad Air 2? Thinking of upgrading but would like an honest feedback first.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #5336 on: April 28, 2016, 12:02:20 pm »
Hi Folks,

I think i've out grown my Nexus 7, so I am now in the market for a 10" android tablet. I mainly use it to watch Tv series etc so want something with a very good resolution. At the moment the Amazon Kindle Fire appears to be the front runner. Any alternatives i should consider?
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #5337 on: June 12, 2016, 11:39:36 am »
For anyone looking for a Windows 10 tablet I can recommend the Chuwi Hi10. A steal at £115 from Gearbest. 

http://en.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-Hi10.html.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #5338 on: June 20, 2016, 10:55:49 pm »
Thinking of purchasing a Samsung Galaxy tab S2 in the coming days. Going for a 9.7" over the 8". Is there much difference?

Does anyone have one here? If so, is it worth the price?
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #5339 on: June 21, 2016, 02:13:10 pm »
Thinking of purchasing a Samsung Galaxy tab S2 in the coming days. Going for a 9.7" over the 8". Is there much difference?

1.7"
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #5340 on: June 21, 2016, 05:49:13 pm »
1.7"
Thank you, that is really helpful. Much appreciated.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5341 on: June 22, 2016, 12:43:00 pm »
Thank you, that is really helpful. Much appreciated.

Wont be a significant difference in day to day use but the bigger one should be better for movies and stuff, while also being less portable. Both of them have similar innards otherwise.

Personally for me tablets should be 10 inches at least, considering most phones are 5.5 or above these days.  No point carrying a phablet and another 7 or 8 inch tablet which does pretty much the same things.
Phuk yoo

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5342 on: June 23, 2016, 05:54:40 pm »
Never owned a tablet before but planning on buying iPad mini4 .Should I wait till september for the new release ?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:56:26 pm by BeautifulGame91 »

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #5343 on: June 23, 2016, 06:34:32 pm »
Wont be a significant difference in day to day use but the bigger one should be better for movies and stuff, while also being less portable. Both of them have similar innards otherwise.

Personally for me tablets should be 10 inches at least, considering most phones are 5.5 or above these days.  No point carrying a phablet and another 7 or 8 inch tablet which does pretty much the same things.

I don't remember what size my iPad is, but it's not the biggest one - I think it is like 7.8. I like the smaller size better because I mostly use it for reading and it is easier to hold. So maybe that is something to think about too. For movies, like you said, bigger is better.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #5344 on: September 5, 2016, 10:20:53 pm »
After a second tablet for my mum. She's currently got the nexus 7 2nd edition. She wants to use the 2nd tablet for streaming sports and movies (mobdro and showbox etc). She's got the nexus connected to the television with one of those leads (mdl I think they are called) and she wants to do the same with the 2nd tablet. I did advise to not buy very cheap, I reckon about £100 would be her limit. Would appreciate any tips as its been years since I looked for a tablet. Thanks all!!!
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5345 on: September 6, 2016, 07:49:55 am »
After a second tablet for my mum. She's currently got the nexus 7 2nd edition. She wants to use the 2nd tablet for streaming sports and movies (mobdro and showbox etc). She's got the nexus connected to the television with one of those leads (mdl I think they are called) and she wants to do the same with the 2nd tablet. I did advise to not buy very cheap, I reckon about £100 would be her limit. Would appreciate any tips as its been years since I looked for a tablet. Thanks all!!!

Why a tablet though, considering she wants to just stream stuff to the TV? A smart android dongle will connect directly to your tv through the HDMI port using a standard HDMI cable and do everything a tablet can and more.   

I am talking about something like this one
Phuk yoo

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #5346 on: September 6, 2016, 09:20:31 am »
Did think about a fire stick or similar type of device, but she knows how to use the tablet and any new type of technology will probably scare her. Took her years to get mobile phone....thanks for the advice though!!

So any recommendations for a reasonable tablet?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5347 on: September 6, 2016, 11:48:04 am »
Did think about a fire stick or similar type of device, but she knows how to use the tablet and any new type of technology will probably scare her. Took her years to get mobile phone....thanks for the advice though!!

So any recommendations for a reasonable tablet?

Pretty limited options in that price band unfortunately..., IF you are ok with trying a Chinese Import, there are loads of super cheap options on websites like Gearbest and GeekBuying.

If you are only interested in a branded tab then I would suggest the following;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TF103CE-1A004A-Transformer-10-1-Inch-Storage-Android/dp/B013OYZ27E/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1473158405&sr=8-16&keywords=tablet

Good balance between cost and features and should be easily able to handle all kinds of media streaming and playback.

Another option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-10-1-inches-Tablet-Iconia/dp/B01I3B29II/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1473159010&sr=8-36&keywords=tablet

Looks decent as well and should suffice as long as your mum is not into high end 3d gaming! :D

Will see what else I can find....

Phuk yoo

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #5348 on: June 7, 2017, 09:06:57 am »
apologies for bumping an old thread...
my daughter has given me her old tablet, its a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and I am keen to hook this up to my tv but I am not sure which MHL cable I would need to purchase. As you can see from my posts above I am a complete novice at this sort of thing and would really appreciate some advice!!
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #5349 on: June 7, 2017, 01:36:15 pm »
apologies for bumping an old thread...
my daughter has given me her old tablet, its a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and I am keen to hook this up to my tv but I am not sure which MHL cable I would need to purchase. As you can see from my posts above I am a complete novice at this sort of thing and would really appreciate some advice!!

could be wrong but when I had the tablet 4 years ago it was not possible to hook up to the TV.  How is it charging mine now takes a day to charge so is not really being used.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #5350 on: June 7, 2017, 03:53:04 pm »
could be wrong but when I had the tablet 4 years ago it was not possible to hook up to the TV.  How is it charging mine now takes a day to charge so is not really being used.
not sure on the charging. My daughter never really used it so I am hoping the battery is in good condition. She's also lost the charging cable so I've had to order another. Its been on since Saturday albeit not used and the battery has only dropped about 20%.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5351 on: June 16, 2017, 10:46:11 am »
They wont in all likelihood. Samsung are poor when it comes to updating their non flagship devices. Dont hold your breath.

Is there actually anyone who isn't poor when it comes to android tablet updates though, I have owned a few from various companies and don't think any of them have ever had more than one major os update.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5352 on: June 23, 2017, 05:54:39 am »
Is there actually anyone who isn't poor when it comes to android tablet updates though, I have owned a few from various companies and don't think any of them have ever had more than one major os update.

Well unfortunately that is true.  The only way to get guaranteed updates for at least 2 years is by buying a Google/Pixel device. 

Sony are good with their updates though. Xperia Z4 tab is still getting updates if i am not mistaken.

I always recommend windows tablets over Android ones for the same reason. There is so much more you can do with a windows tabs and updates will be regular (sometimes TOO regular!).

There are some really good devices near the 300 GBP mark if you are ok to import from a site like Gearbest or Geekbuying.  The Cube i7 book for example. Fantastic piece of kit, I am loving every bit of it. The screen is gorgeous, the keyboard reasonably good and best of all, it runs full windows on an Intel Core M3 processor and is fast enough for non gaming tasks.

Can be used as an 11 inch tab as well as a full fledged laptop with the keyboard attached.
Phuk yoo

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #5353 on: June 23, 2017, 07:04:29 am »
Had a Chuwi Hi 10 for a year now. Paid £115 at the time and it's still flying along on Windows 10  ;D

Offline DadsRedArmy

• from Thetford
  • Anny Roader
  • Top 2 this season
« Reply #5354 on: July 8, 2017, 10:26:24 am »
recently purchased a Samsung Tab A T580 10.1 from Amazon, £174.95, blinding bit of kit so far

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5355 on: July 10, 2017, 05:50:02 pm »
Got our youngest an Amazon HD tablet two years ago,he has used it every day and it hasn't skipped a beat.So anyone looking for a cheap option should really consider one of those.Pretty sure that Amazon have sent out two updates in that time.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5356 on: July 12, 2017, 02:05:56 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good tablet that can dock to a keyboard and run full version of windows?

I seen someone mentioned the cube i7 but on gearbest.com it states

"The model dispalyed on the tablet PC is internal model, actual product model is Cube i7."

So not even sure what that one looks like.

I only want to use it for checking emails, browsing, sportsmania & youtube really!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5357 on: July 13, 2017, 04:23:58 pm »
its the Cube i7 book.

http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_366651.html

this is the one i have. fantastic value. Fast enough for everything except heavy gaming. Can run photoshop fine.

Gorgeous screen.
Phuk yoo

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5358 on: July 15, 2017, 09:26:10 pm »
its the Cube i7 book.

http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_366651.html

this is the one i have. fantastic value. Fast enough for everything except heavy gaming. Can run photoshop fine.

Gorgeous screen.

Looks good but sold out! Is it only available on that site?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5359 on: July 23, 2017, 10:00:56 am »
I've got a Lenovo yogabook running Android. Quite good for what I want it to do and it can run Kodi but to be fair I've yet to really test out streaming a game on it.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.