The Liverpool FC Forum > Former LFC Players

Djibril Cissé

(1/634) > >>

pablodee:
Cisse angles for Liverpool switch

Friday 25th January 2002

France hopeful Djibril Cisse has revealed he would like to link up with countryman Gerard Houllier at Liverpool.

The Auxerre striker, 20, has been linked with moves to Juventus and Internazionale, but said on Friday: "If I had a choice, I think I would go to England. I believe the English league suits my style best and I admit I have got a slight preference for Liverpool."

Cisse has already netted 12 goals in the Championnat this season and is understood to be competing with Nicolas Anelka for the final striker spot in France's World Cup squad.

But the powerful forward was quick to dismiss suggestions that he may follow Anelka's lead by moving to Anfield before the end of the season in an attempt to boost his chances of going to Japan and South Korea.

"I am not leaving this season," he insisted. "I think I'll be ready to leave Auxerre in two years' time.

"I am certainly not giving up hope of getting into the World Cup squad. I'll just try to keep on scoring goals and hope that Roger Lemerre notices me," he told Le Parisien.

"I'd like to finish the season as the top French scorer in the Championnat. I say top French scorer because I don't think anyone will get as many goals as Bordeaux's Pauleta. He is untouchable."

Cisse is just two goals behind the Portugal forward, who has found the net 14 times, while Lorient striker Jean-Claude Darcheville is in second place with 13 goals.

Auxerre president Jean-Claude Hamel insisted in November that he was confident of Cisse staying at the Stade de l'Abbé-Deschamps for the foreseeable future.

"A lot of clubs are interested in our young players and come to all our matches. But there's no question of Cisse leaving," said Hamel. "That would be a lack of ambition on our part and it would open the door to others. He is happy at Auxerre."

Cisse's goals have fired Auxerre up to fourth place in the top flight, ten points behind runaway leaders Lens with a game in hand.

======

As much as I welcome Anelka at the club I have my suspicions that he won't be here come the start of season 2002-2003. Paris SG will want as close to £20m as they can for him, still a few million short of what he cost them, and a lot of cash for our club to splash out for one player.

Only time will tell.

For those that have never heard of him the praise is high indeed, with all the big clubs in Europe watching him.  One top coach described Cisse as 'the prototype forward of the future... there is nothing he cannot do'.  He is however still young and has lots to prove.

Barrettski:
I wonder if his thoughts are influenced much by the Le Tallec and Pongo deals... "ready to leave in 2 years". Sounds like it to me....

...and that would be quite a tidy little French fraternite at the club n'est ce pas?

Pablo:
I personally would not like to see another new striker at the club, other than Baros.  To those that love a bit of gossip and speculation, and there's plenty of you out there, I offer you this off the web from a reliable source that is in no way linked to Rupert Murdoch.  Ladies and gentleman, I give you...

Djibril Cisse - Auxerre

Liverpool have targeted Auxerre's 20-year-old striker Djibrill Cisse as the man to replace Leeds-bound Robbie Fowler. The £10m-rated youngster is interesting Gerard Houllier.

Position: Forward
Date of birth: Wednesday 12th August 1981
Height: 1.82m
Weight: 78kg
Signed from: no previous clubs    

Born in 1981, Cisse is a young talent still learning his trade at Auxerre. He has a promising future ahead of him and made his first-team debut during the 1998-99 season. He is a strong and athletic forward with a powerful shot and got a prolonged run in the first team in 2000-01, in which he scored 15 goals.

Before then, he was part of the France side that that won the Under-18 European Championships in Germany in 2000. The Arles-born star was disappointed not to get on the scoresheet during the success in Germany – but he channelled his aggression by hitting peak form for his club.

"I was so full of hate that I wanted to quickly wipe all that out. This reaction of pride quickly helped me to affirm myself and to prove that the club could count on me."

He hit the headlines at the start of the 2001-02 season when he netted four goals in the opening match against Rennes.

He Says: "I set myself a target of ten goals for the season and I ended up with 15, so I'm coming out of a good season which could have been even more brilliant if I hadn't let myself go towards the end. Next year I will have to confirm what I've shown and my objective will be to reach as high a position as possible with Auxerre – but I also want to finish among the five top scorers in the league."
- after his break-through season in June 2001.

"Being at the World Cup would be a bonus. But I've got plenty of time to think about all that. I'm not yet on the same level as [Sylvain] Wiltord or [Thierry] Henry. They have won things, got the medals, while I have nothing."
- after an electric start to the 2001-02 season.

davemac:
isnt he supposed to be a bit of a nutter

would gh go for that temprament

[streety]:
Are we going to sign him this summer? We were linked with him last summer and opted to buy El Hadji Diouf instead. I am a big fan of this player and I think he will be one the best in Europe. He has lightning pace and can finish. Get yer chequebook out and buy him... He's mustard!!  ;D

PS. Anyone watching the France match on Eurosport?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version