The Liverpool FC Forum > Anfield Stadium

The "new" Anfield>>>> I propose

(1/2) > >>

4pool:
I posted this message on the RAOTL site and thought i'd do the same here for opinions..

After reading yesterday A4E's responce to the proposed new ground, one of the points was that Mr. Parry is asking for input from A4E. Therefore; I propose these two idea's to link the history of Anfield to the new site in Stanley Park.

1: With respect to the proposed "Memorial Gardens" that Parry mentioned at the current Anfield site: That there be a pathway from there direct to the new Anfield stadium. With either a brick wall down the middle or on the two sides of the pathway. Etched into the bricks will be the names of every player who has played for the Mighty Reds. Starting with the first ever side. The names can be grouped by decades ie: before 1900, 1900-1909, 1910-1919, etc all the way through to the current players. A players name is put on the brick with the first year he made a first team appearance example: Ian Rush 1980. I don't think it needs to include the year they left or retired. Space will be available for those players to be added to the squad in future years as well. At the end of each season at the last home match, those names that need to be added can be done at that time. (Hopefully this will add to the players pride for the Red shirt). Players family members will forever be able to point to where their dad, grandad, great grandad, etc played for the Reds.

2: With respect to the Kopites:
I propose that the new Kop wall outside the stadium and the pedestrian area in front of it have the same brick feature. Only this time supporters can "buy" their own brick. For 20 quid, you get your name and a number on a brick. The club can sell these at Liverworld or through their website. When the construction takes place the bricks are laid and the names and numbers are registered. A map is then developed and one can find their brick from the map.

Supporters will buy them for themselves, their family members both present and past. This way it links all the Kopites from Anfield to the new Anfield. And Kopite family members can point to thier bricks in the same way as players and their family members. This also distinguishes our Anfield from any other football stadium.

I would estimate that the club might sell as many as 50,000 "kopite" bricks. Which would mean it might raise 1 mil to offset some of the construction costs.

And btw..my brick needs to be in a prominent area as it's my proposal.. [:)s]

Are these proposals something you would agree to and the club might utilize?

Anyone else want to give a Yay or Nay?

ttnbd:
Sunderland did the buy a brick thing to pay for the stadium and quite frankly I think it is a bit tacky.

Mayb enscribe the names of the 96 on there if the memorial stays where it is but otherwise I don't like that idea.

4pool:
The names on bricks is not a new idea. Didn't know about Sunderland doing it.

The first time i saw it done was the City of Portland Oregon demolished a building in the centre of downtown and turned the area into a sunken park area in the mid 1980's, where locals have lunch on their few sunny days..lol Anyway they did the names on bricks to raise money to complete the project. I thought it was tacky at the time but 20 years on it became more of a focal point . Now when there, you almost always see people reading the names or families showing up point to their own names or the one's of loved one's.

btw: they also have outdoor concerts there..i saw Brian Setzer and his big band Orchestra one summer evening.. Outstanding..

But getting back to Anfield and the proposed new stadium, i was just trying to tie in the current site and the proposed new one in a way that links the players and the supporters.. If it doesn't work then it's just an idea.. ::)

ttnbd:
The players name seems a good idea but it is just the supporters buying a brick idea I am not too keen on.

king_of_the_kop:
players idea is good

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version