Author Topic: A time to reflect honestly or nothing to worry about ?  (Read 55042 times)

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: A time to reflect honestly or nothing to worry about ?
« Reply #480 on: January 3, 2023, 10:25:19 pm »
1 and 3 are true, i'd disagree with 2 in the sense that Thiago works just as hard as Wijnaldum did and puts the hard yards in. Difference is the fitness levels and Thiago not having that prime Henderson and Fabinho (or younger Milner) in midfield with him.

I keep reading this about Fabinho but he only turned 29 at the end of October and if I recall correctly didn’t start a WC game, whatever the issue is, it shouldn’t be his age or fitness surely?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: January 3, 2023, 10:31:47 pm »
Worrying that we are lots of points behind United and fractionally ahead of Brighton, Fulham and Brentford.  Something is really not right and we need to sort it asap or finish outside the top 4.  If midfield is the issue we strengthen now or face the consequences.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: January 3, 2023, 10:37:14 pm »
I keep reading this about Fabinho but he only turned 29 at the end of October and if I recall correctly didn’t start a WC game, whatever the issue is, it shouldn’t be his age or fitness surely?

Sometimes players drop a level and never get it back. He isnt helped by the absolutely huge gaps left in midfield by us thanks to this bizarre system we are playing.

Fabinho was never the most physically strong player in terms of fitness. Even early in his Liverpool career 3 games a week took their toll.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #483 on: January 3, 2023, 10:39:07 pm »
Worrying that we are lots of points behind United and fractionally ahead of Brighton, Fulham and Brentford.  Something is really not right and we need to sort it asap or finish outside the top 4.  If midfield is the issue we strengthen now or face the consequences.

Well we have Brighton away next….

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: January 3, 2023, 10:41:58 pm »
The gap is not a lot because they have tough games coming up. Unfortunately, clawing it back will be a real struggle for us.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: January 3, 2023, 10:47:42 pm »
Agree although we also have to deal with the fact VVD isn’t GOAT levels anymore and just a normal world class cb.

No thanks to Jordan Pickford. A truly criminal challenge if there ever was one.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: January 3, 2023, 10:52:26 pm »
This is a point that a lot of people are missing. FSG won't spend like City do but they've spent more than enough over the past three years for us to have recruited some more midfielders. If we're just going to ignore the problem position and recruit in other areas, that's not on FSG.

We have over the past few years spent big on Ox, Keita, Fabinho and Thiago - yes these might be slightly more than 3 years ago, but it is un arguable that we did spend big on those players - at a time when we badly neglected our attack.  And we've been forced into a couple of attacking signings due to having a poor attacking line up behind the (aging) front 3, and then Jota being very injury prone and selling Mane.

If we'd gone into this season buying another midfielder instead of Nunez, say, and having to rely on a front 3 of Ox, Salah and Carvalho (or even Elliot) you'd be complaining we spent big on midfielders.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: January 3, 2023, 10:52:29 pm »
Silver lining to such appalling performances would be that its a massive kick up the arse for the management and recruitment to start seriously rebuilding the midfield.

If this isn't the reaction, then it's time to seriously worry.

Offline Aeon

• Main Stander
« Reply #488 on: January 3, 2023, 11:52:07 pm »
Following my two posts on this topic, look every successful team goes through a cycle and eventually experiences off-form and negative results which extend to less successful seasons. What we see on the pitch now with Liverpool is very normal. Currently it happens also to Barcelona, it happened to Man UTD during Ferguson as well.

The team needs to be refreshed. Klopp knows the way to rebuild the team if this is needed.

What we need is stability and some key additions.

Meh.

Europa League could be fun next year.

Coincidently, the only competition Klopp has not won with Liverpool.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2023, 11:58:28 pm by Aeon »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: January 4, 2023, 09:44:13 am »
I think some people misremember or misattribute what it was that made Fabinho an elite player in the first place. I don't think he was ever an elite typical defensive midfielder sweeping in front of the back four protecting them against the counter; his strength was subtly higher up the pitch, earlier in play: stopping a transition at source. He was elite in backing up the press, reading where the opposition were about to transition, winning second balls, recycling and picking out a clever pass. He's definitely lost (age? injury? illness?) a touch of athleticism necessary to make that initial adjustment, to close and win the ball with a lunge. He's never been quick over a distance, and it was never really the core of his game to cover in behind fullbacks.

It gives him, or us, a problem I think: because if we're not high intensity relentlessly pressing, I don't think he's the same player, even if he regains form and a bit of the missing athleticism. If we need a covering, sweeping DM, there are players with greater pace and stamina who can do that job more effectively.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: January 4, 2023, 04:02:25 pm »

Surely Fabinho is one of our lesser worries in midfield as he might be the one who will still be here in two or three years time. As some have said he was never the quickest but made up for it in other ways as has great positional sense. The issues we have seen this season is probably two parts. He is struggling for form himself while also others around him are also falling short of their standards so Fabinho is fighting more onrushing opponents.

Considering the fall off in the teams pressure game and intensity we have to up our energy levels. Henderson and Thiago are three years older, surely won't be starting too many games in a row next season so why not bring in the two midfielders we are crying out for. Do it by next season so Henderson and Thiago can play when required but we are not reliant on them.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: January 4, 2023, 08:17:03 pm »
Surely Fabinho is one of our lesser worries in midfield as he might be the one who will still be here in two or three years time. As some have said he was never the quickest but made up for it in other ways as has great positional sense. The issues we have seen this season is probably two parts. He is struggling for form himself while also others around him are also falling short of their standards so Fabinho is fighting more onrushing opponents.

Considering the fall off in the teams pressure game and intensity we have to up our energy levels. Henderson and Thiago are three years older, surely won't be starting too many games in a row next season so why not bring in the two midfielders we are crying out for. Do it by next season so Henderson and Thiago can play when required but we are not reliant on them.

Your right that Fabinho is one of our lesser evils but he still needs to be moved on in about two to three years if not before, we need to get out of the habit of keeping players like old cars and running them into the ground like the likes of Henderson and Milner. I know someone said to me that we are keeping them for their wonderful attributes as people and the way they handle themselves but for me we need to be more ruthless and I know Jurgen has been working with the cheque book locked away and nobody can find the key when a possible player comes along.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #492 on: January 5, 2023, 09:44:02 am »
Your right that Fabinho is one of our lesser evils but he still needs to be moved on in about two to three years if not before, we need to get out of the habit of keeping players like old cars and running them into the ground like the likes of Henderson and Milner. I know someone said to me that we are keeping them for their wonderful attributes as people and the way they handle themselves but for me we need to be more ruthless and I know Jurgen has been working with the cheque book locked away and nobody can find the key when a possible player comes along.
Sometimes by getting younger guys in, we can actually prolong the life and impact of the senior players. Right now, the only cover for Fabinho is Hendo which is completely physically unsustainable as Hendo is struggling to do the leg work and cover that many games. We have both Morton and Bajcetic but they could still be 12-18 months away from regularly starting games (or more) so are not realistic options yet.

Real have done it and managed to keep Kroos and Modric going for longer (albeit in a setup with different demands).

If we don't act this month and get help for Thiago, Fabinho and Hendo, we risk further injury to them and reduce their lifespan earlier.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online nerdster4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #493 on: January 29, 2023, 07:24:13 pm »
I think it’s important to not form a view that players whose form has fallen off a cliff are beyond rescuing .

I remember Bernardo silva having a poor season then coming back very strongly .

Trent and Fabinho’s ages suggest that they might be able to come back . Selling them at deflated prices given their form will give us a bigger mountain to climb .

The goalkeeping department is in good shape . Upfront too we are well stacked despite some players being out of form . I d like to see the defence once our midfield is reinforced but in theory we should be ok .

Our midfield is in such dire straits . We only have 3 players in decent form and they comprise Thiago (older age bracket , injury prone at LFC), Keita (out of contract , very injury prone , rarely plays 90 minutes ) and Bacjetic (needs to bulk up , very inexperienced and prone to getting early yellow cards but very promising recently ). They will not play 90 minutes every game and possibly in the big games even if they did may not stem the tide sufficiently .

Henderson Fabinho and Jones are unable to make an impact when they come on . Jones and Harvey in any case much better further upfront which is very congested given recent signings .

We have to buy a minimum of one midfielder . Not doing so in January means a mid table finish . This means we might not get who we really want In the summer … we will need two midfielders for next season once Keita goes as well .

United just gave sanche a massive rest . Maybe Fabinho and Trent need something similar not selling

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #494 on: January 29, 2023, 07:25:57 pm »
Wait wait…who the fuck is suggesting we sell Trent? :lmao Is that actually a thing?!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: January 29, 2023, 07:27:44 pm »
Wait wait…who the fuck is suggesting we sell Trent? :lmao Is that actually a thing?!

Mad to do that.

That said you did think it was mental to consider not starting Fabinho earlier in the season ;D

Offline Red Dane

• Kopite
  • Probinate nobis similibusque
« Reply #496 on: February 4, 2023, 04:47:33 pm »
Fuck the result. I dont like the looks in Klopps eyes. He looks beaten, and out of energy.
Every power draws its ultimate consequences at every moment. Supposing that this also is only interpretation-and you will be eager enough to make this objection?-well, so much the better. (Nietzsche; Beyond Good & Evil, p. 30-31).

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: February 4, 2023, 05:06:41 pm »
Worried that the players have seemingly resigned themselves to events. Don't want to fight or compete, feeling sorry for themselves and making so many stupid decisions

How do they snap out of this? Stop giving away such stupid, cheap goals would be a start

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: February 4, 2023, 05:07:25 pm »
We have still got 17 league games to play.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: February 4, 2023, 05:09:18 pm »
We need 7-10 new players, a new sporting director, perhaps some new staff for the manager and new ownership. In a bit of a mess really.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #500 on: February 4, 2023, 05:10:25 pm »
We have still got 17 league games to play.

not sure if thats a good or a bad thing right now

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #501 on: February 4, 2023, 05:10:55 pm »
We need 7-10 new players, a new sporting director, perhaps some new staff for the manager and new ownership. In a bit of a mess really.

I’d love to see them get a new sporting director in right now, why wait IF they can get who they want (and I get that may be a problem!)? Whoever it is needs to be ruthless and not pander to anyone.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: February 4, 2023, 05:16:38 pm »
We cannot expect a kid like Bacjetic to play consistently well in midfield. Relying on him to solve the clear issue in midfield is a nonsense. With Mane gone, Van Dijk injured and Milner showing his age and and Henderson so out of form, we lack leaders.
Justice for the 96!

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #503 on: February 4, 2023, 05:19:44 pm »
Lots to worry about I’m afraid esp if half of the Reddy article is true.

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #504 on: February 4, 2023, 05:22:46 pm »
Lots to worry about I’m afraid esp if half of the Reddy article is true.
Which one was that?

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: February 4, 2023, 05:22:57 pm »
This is up there as some of the worst performances and runs of form I've seen in my 20 odd years watching the club. Particularly since we were so good recently, have one of our best ever managers and a squad of great players.

The Hodgson days were shite because we had shite players and a shite manager.... This one is more concerning.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2023, 05:27:49 pm by deano2727 »

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: February 4, 2023, 05:30:39 pm »
The only thing I am worried about is Alisson forcing himself out of the club in the summer if this continues. Man does not deserve so much pain.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #509 on: February 4, 2023, 05:31:43 pm »
The only thing I am worried about is Alisson forcing himself out of the club in the summer if this continues. Man does not deserve so much pain.

If he does and I really don't think it would happen, not in a million years, we do have Kelleher.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: February 4, 2023, 05:32:06 pm »
I'm watching us play, and I'm looking at the fixture list, and I'm genuinely struggling to see when we're next going to win a game of football. Bournemouth maybe? That is unfathomable really.

1 win and 3 losses from the last five games. We've scored 1 goal in that time, and conceded 10. We're getting hammered, week in, week out, by very very average sides. It's a bit scary actually.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: February 4, 2023, 05:33:06 pm »
I'm watching us play, and I'm looking at the fixture list, and I'm genuinely struggling to see when we're next going to win a game of football. Bournemouth maybe? That is unfathomable really.

1 win and 3 losses from the last five games. We've scored 1 goal in that time, and conceded 10. We're getting hammered, week in, week out, by very very average sides. It's a bit scary actually.
Something is rotten in this team.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: February 4, 2023, 05:33:30 pm »
1-3 at Brentford
0-3 at Brighton
2-2 against Wolves
1-0 at Wolves
0-0 against Chelsea
1-2 against Brighton
0-3 at Wolves

That's 5 scored and 13 conceded this calendar year.

Harvey is our leading scorer with 2 goals.

Can't score consistently and most importantly, cannot defend and even do the basics.  Not like these set of games are some crazy difficult gauntlet either.

Maybe we'll raise our game down the line.
King Kenny.

Offline LifelongRed, Sussex

• Kopite
« Reply #513 on: February 4, 2023, 05:33:37 pm »
Nothing to worry about.

Henry & Werner have this nailed.  Don’t invest one cent of your own billions to support a great coach, when the midfield’s decrepit or skinny kids.

Well done you two.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: February 4, 2023, 05:33:41 pm »
There is no coming back after a season like this without a drastic cut of some sort. Our owners being penny pinching fucks - I’m afraid it will be Klopp’s head and minimal investment. They aren’t financing what is needed for the squad.

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
« Reply #515 on: February 4, 2023, 05:34:50 pm »
Probably this one.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12801936/liverpool-how-jurgen-klopps-reds-have-been-hurt-on-the-pitch-by-a-brain-drain-off-it

Looking like a transitional season from the owners through the on and off field management right down to the playing personnel.
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: February 4, 2023, 05:35:09 pm »
There is no coming back after a season like this without a drastic cut of some sort. Our owners being penny pinching fucks - I’m afraid it will be Klopp’s head and minimal investment. They aren’t financing what is needed for the squad.
That's the reality of the situation.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: February 4, 2023, 05:35:15 pm »
Looking like a transitional season from the owners through the on and off field management right down to the playing personnel.

Its not a transitional season.

Offline LifelongRed, Sussex

• Kopite
« Reply #518 on: February 4, 2023, 05:35:32 pm »
Something is rotten in this team.

1. Old, tired centre midfielders.
2. Gomez been shit for years, sadly Matip now too.
3. Weak kids getting out powered for fun by mid-20’s athletes in every other EPL team.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: February 4, 2023, 05:36:04 pm »
I was worried since the opening day of the season. You could tell something was off, Fulham should of beat us that day.

Diaz played that game, he hit the post i think but regardless of that we just looked suspect all over the pitch. Ok fair enough they had a long season but there was enough to make you think that aside from lethargy we looked uncharacteristically like a Klopp team.

Van Dijk wasn't on the front foot, he looked scared to put a foot in, players were dribbling past him in the box. We still miss him because he's better than we've got, but even with our better players available we didn't look right and we won't look right when they are back next time either, something is wrong that runs much deeper.
« Last Edit: February 4, 2023, 05:37:39 pm by naYoRHa2b »