The Liverpool FC Forum > Anfield Stadium

The Anfield Choo-Choo Thread

(1/10) > >>

Cafe De Paris:
That is one massive issue that needs to change. The public transport up to or at least near the ground on a match day. I agree that the midweek games are horrendous if you want to take public transport.. most end up getting a taxi. If you go around most big european city grounds they have trams, buses, trains sorted. Then again the Liverpool city council are fkn useless and incompetent for almost anything in the city so I don’t expect any changes..

Fromola:

--- Quote from: Cafe De Paris on October 19, 2021, 11:49:15 pm ---That is one massive issue that needs to change. The public transport up to or at least near the ground on a match day. I agree that the midweek games are horrendous if you want to take public transport.. most end up getting a taxi. If you go around most big european city grounds they have trams, buses, trains sorted. Then again the Liverpool city council are fkn useless and incompetent for almost anything in the city so I don’t expect any changes..

--- End quote ---

They should run a fleet of shuttle buses on matchdays. Do a deal with Arriva or Stagecoach and get lots of shuttle buses from Liverpool One/Queens Square in the hours before kick off and an hour or two after.

Ideally even get a bus lane in for matchdays. City do this at the Etihad despite all their complaints about the traffic, they have a fleet of buses running back into town after the game and their own tram stop.

So… Howard Philips:

--- Quote from: Cafe De Paris on October 19, 2021, 11:49:15 pm ---That is one massive issue that needs to change. The public transport up to or at least near the ground on a match day. I agree that the midweek games are horrendous if you want to take public transport.. most end up getting a taxi. If you go around most big european city grounds they have trams, buses, trains sorted. Then again the Liverpool city council are fkn useless and incompetent for almost anything in the city so I don’t expect any changes..

--- End quote ---

Don't mention transport to the Council or they'll start their usual interminable roadworks probably on Walton Breckside Road.

Billy Elliot:
People talking about the changes for transport had me thinking a bit. I remember the walk up from the Scottie Road area as a kid,and it seemed like thousands. Now, when walking from Lime Street, it's a few hundred. We once had 54,000 regularly and half would walk it (some were still leaving bikes in the houses backing onto the jigger). To have 60-70k, most from far and wide (Skem, Kirkby, etc  ;D)) there must be a lot of changes needed in the transport network.

What happened to the idea of re-opening the Canada Dock overhead? Is that off the cards?

I think the whole of North Liverpool is pretty shit when it comes to be linked to the City Centre. Wouldn't there be other benefits, e.g. blues in North Liverpool getting to Bramley Dock, work commutes for North Liverpool, etc.

Or was that idea shelved?

Red Beret:

--- Quote from: Billy Elliot on October 21, 2021, 09:14:55 pm ---People talking about the changes for transport had me thinking a bit. I remember the walk up from the Scottie Road area as a kid,and it seemed like thousands. Now, when walking from Lime Street, it's a few hundred. We once had 54,000 regularly and half would walk it (some were still leaving bikes in the houses backing onto the jigger). To have 60-70k, most from far and wide (Skem, Kirkby, etc  ;D)) there must be a lot of changes needed in the transport network.

What happened to the idea of re-opening the Canada Dock overhead? Is that off the cards?

I think the whole of North Liverpool is pretty shit when it comes to be linked to the City Centre. Wouldn't there be other benefits, e.g. blues in North Liverpool getting to Bramley Dock, work commutes for North Liverpool, etc.

Or was that idea shelved?

--- End quote ---

I don't know much about the rail link concepts.  I seem to recall, either during the proposed Stanley Park move or shortly after FSG taking over, that serious expansion beyond 60k would require the club to put in a rail link.  Think the council were adamant on it.

Just playing with ideas, you could conceivably put some stations along the freight line, but the closest it gets to Anfield is about 800m in a straight line across Stanley park. That's potentially a lot of footfall marching through the park.

Then there's the question of who's responsible for the trains?  Merseyrail only runs electrical units, so does the line become electrified?  If so, would it be third rail or overhead lines, and would LFC have to foot the bill?  Might be worth holding onto some of the old trains for the route, but more likely it would be diesel engines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version