Author Topic: Pep Lijnders  (Read 150091 times)

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Pep Lijnders
« Reply #640 on: October 1, 2022, 07:29:55 pm »
Yeah I need something to blame so I’m playing pep and his book

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: October 1, 2022, 09:26:44 pm »
Intensity

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #642 on: October 1, 2022, 09:42:17 pm »
Yeah I need something to blame so I’m playing pep and his book

The David O'Leary effect.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: October 2, 2022, 12:10:37 am »
Can't help but feel this guy loves the sound of his own voice a bit. Would love to know what people think of his book.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: October 2, 2022, 12:32:23 am »
Can't help but feel this guy loves the sound of his own voice a bit. Would love to know what people think of his book.

I also get that feeling a bit too sometimes. But when you are losing, you start to notice the negatives a little bit more
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: October 2, 2022, 12:39:48 am »
I also get that feeling a bit too sometimes. But when you are losing, you start to notice the negatives a little bit more

True. Lets hope he has a few tactical masterclasses up his sleeve because this will be a real test for the technical staff to turn our playing form from a mid-table team to a top 4 team.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: October 2, 2022, 12:53:41 am »
The hate he is getting is ridiculous. He's been around for years and we've won everything in this time. Klopp's the manager, but all the blame for tactical/managerial issues seems to be landing on Pep's doorstep, because he released a book?

Totally unfair criticism.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: October 2, 2022, 01:07:51 am »
The hate he is getting is ridiculous. He's been around for years and we've won everything in this time. Klopp's the manager, but all the blame for tactical/managerial issues seems to be landing on Pep's doorstep, because he released a book?

I don’t think it’s hate. He’s just a bit Brendan Rodgers at times. That’s not necessarily such a bad thing as Brendan Rodgers was extremely talented as a coach but a bit irritating at times.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: October 2, 2022, 05:02:22 am »

I think the issue is that when you talk so much about what we are doing tactically and then you dip in form afterwards you leave yourself open to criticism. That book really couldn’t have been timed any worse given the total drop off in our results since it came out.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: October 2, 2022, 05:07:26 am »
Is it  any coincidence that the very element the team is currently lacking in is the title of ljinders' book? Despite trumpeting about how important intensity is, somehow ljinders failed to realise that the midfield of his team was degrading in precisely that quality below minimum acceptable levels even while he ws writing his book.

I would have preferred less sellf congratulation which is usually the hand maiden to complacency . Wait till u retire before u write books about how great you are  looking! Better humility than the pride that goes before a fall...
« Last Edit: October 2, 2022, 05:12:43 am by ThePoolMan »

Offline The_Nomad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #650 on: October 2, 2022, 05:22:50 am »
Is it  any coincidence that the very element the team is currently lacking in is the title of ljinders' book? Despite trumpeting about how important intensity is, somehow ljinders failed to realise that the midfield of his team was degrading in precisely that quality below minimum acceptable levels even while he ws writing his book.

I would have preferred less sellf congratulation which is usually the hand maiden to complacency . Wait till u retire before u write books about how great you are  looking! Better humility than the pride that goes before a fall...

Haven’t read the book but is it self congratulatory? Or is it something that people have cooked up just to get angry about something beyond their control?
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: October 2, 2022, 08:30:53 am »

Agree but he basically asked for it. Never seen an assistant coach talk as much as him or explain the work the club does especially the diaries where he goes into unnecessary details even press conferences he will go on and on instead of just simple answers. He should act like a normal assistant coach.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: October 2, 2022, 08:40:43 am »

What I don't like is bleating about how smart we are. Whether its books or puff pieces with James Pearce on The Athletic that go into great detail of how great we are.

Pride always comes before a fall. Last season it was articles about our amazing sports science and injury prevention (cue an injury crisis this season) or how well orchestrated our transfer strategy is (cue the shambles of the last window and our current midfield).

The old bootroom was based on being genuinely smart but shutting the fuck up about it.

I don’t think it’s hate. He’s just a bit Brendan Rodgers at times. That’s not necessarily such a bad thing as Brendan Rodgers was extremely talented as a coach but a bit irritating at times.

It's that Rodgers thing of needing to tell the world how good he is. Just do your job. Klopp is extremely humble. He might be a great coach but a bit like with Gerrard now I can't see him as Jurgen's successor.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2022, 08:46:51 am by Fromola »

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: October 2, 2022, 08:43:05 am »
Haha. We love to find scapegoats, don't we ?

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: October 2, 2022, 08:44:40 am »

Yep, you do seem to hate Trent  :D

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: October 2, 2022, 08:46:03 am »
Yep, you do seem to hate Trent  :D

Yep. Needs his head shaven for all that. Who does he think he is, Corlys Velaryon ?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: October 2, 2022, 08:48:30 am »
What I don't like is bleating about how smart we are. Whether its books or puff pieces with James Pearce on The Athletic that go into great detail of how great we are.

Pride always comes before a fall. Last season it was articles about our amazing sports science and injury prevention (cue an injury crisis this season) or how well orchestrated our transfer strategy is (the shambles of the last window).

The old bootroom was based on being smart but shutting the fuck up about it.

Thats pretty unfair. This is not the same as boot room days, we have every side with behind the scenes videos on Amazon. Thank our lucky stars we dont have one of those.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: October 2, 2022, 08:50:10 am »
Thats pretty unfair. This is not the same as boot room days, we have every side with behind the scenes videos on Amazon. Thank our lucky stars we dont have one of those.

Doesn't mean we need to do the opposition's job for them in explaining all our methods in great detail. Or if they really are great then giving the blueprint for everyone else to copy.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: October 2, 2022, 08:50:51 am »

Just an FYI this new shape/system we are trying out this season is very similar to what Pep played while Manager at NEC. It also had massive failures there, now not saying it might not work. But its clear as day that Klopp takes a lot of advice from Pep and works with him very closely tactically and Klopp focuses more on man management, culture and player development.

I think its not working for a multitude of reasons not just the tactics but the new system is %100 contributing even more to the other struggles we are dealing with which seems to be fatigue, burn out and players just not in form.

They could also not be in form because they dont trust or like this new system which can play on your confidence

Klopp has world class players at his disposal but this is some of the worst football ive seen us play since hes been here which is saying A LOT considering what he had to work with in his first couple seasons.

We just dont look like a cohesive unit at all and we look completely drained after one of the most intense seasons ever and a WC year.

I would mentally prepare yourselves for a very hard battle for CL football this year
« Last Edit: October 2, 2022, 08:53:34 am by CanuckYNWA »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #659 on: October 2, 2022, 08:52:32 am »
Some people are an embarrassment at times. It is so easy to be a fan when a team is winning. But the moment it stops the bitterness just comes rolling out. I have read the book as it happens it was an enjoyable and interesting read. As for liking his own voice I would disagree. But of course when the team is struggling to win, it doesn’t take much for some people to find negative points.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: October 2, 2022, 08:55:34 am »
I doubt writing a book is a major factor in how shit we are at the minute but I don’t really like it. It just stinks of a bit of self importance. Call me old fashioned but you write books where you’re slapping yourselves on the back after you’re gone or retired, not when you’re halfway through your tenure. The propaganda can wait.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: October 2, 2022, 08:56:08 am »
. But of course when the team is struggling to win, it doesn’t take much for some people to find negative points.

Ahh yes we all have to be daisy and daffodils and not allowed to share our opinions on the poor performances. Very much still supporting this team and the manager/assistant manager

But something is wrong, we are the worst we have been in 6 years under Klopp management and that is a fact and people can be frustrated by that.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: October 2, 2022, 08:57:05 am »
Some people are an embarrassment at times. It is so easy to be a fan when a team is winning. But the moment it stops the bitterness just comes rolling out. I have read the book as it happens it was an enjoyable and interesting read. As for liking his own voice I would disagree. But of course when the team is struggling to win, it doesn’t take much for some people to find negative points.

Just my opinion that i'd rather we do our talking on the pitch rather than off it, as Jurgen always has.

Said the same when Gerrard and Carragher were bringing out autobiographies while they were still playing for us.

The Liverpool Way was never self congratulatory.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #663 on: October 2, 2022, 09:00:14 am »

But something is wrong, we are the worst we have been in 6 years under Klopp management and that is a fact and people can be frustrated by that.

Worse form than when we lost 6 out of 8 in 2020/21?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: October 2, 2022, 09:02:26 am »

That had mitigating circumstances, we had no players. Bit different now, we had what you’d say could well be our strongest team available. The players we’re missing wouldn’t make much of a difference. I’d say this is worse. It’s way more concerning.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: October 2, 2022, 09:03:26 am »

Definitely not, that was a low point. But if we dont turn up next two then we will be bottom half with 1/4 season played.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #666 on: October 2, 2022, 09:04:50 am »
That had mitigating circumstances, we had no players. Bit different now, we had what you’d say could well be our strongest team available. The players we’re missing wouldn’t make much of a difference. I’d say this is worse. It’s way more concerning.
It did but they said this is the worst form under Klopp and that’s a fact. Doesn’t seem much like a fact to me.

People are trying to increase the pressure with hyperbole statements.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: October 2, 2022, 09:06:41 am »

Ahh yes lets compare a patch of form where we had no defence, an empty stadium and Klopp was going thru grief having just lost his mom and was clearly not in a good frame of mind

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #668 on: October 2, 2022, 09:08:35 am »
Ahh yes lets compare a patch of form where we had no defence, an empty stadium and Klopp was going thru grief having just lost his mom and was clearly not in a good frame of mind
You said it’s a fact though……

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: October 2, 2022, 09:09:37 am »
Ahh yes we all have to be daisy and daffodils and not allowed to share our opinions on the poor performances. Very much still supporting this team and the manager/assistant manager

I was talking about people being negative about Lijinders rather than the team. I doubt anyone is happy about the team form at the moment but there is no need to lash out at individuals who have played their part in giving this club an amazing ride.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: October 2, 2022, 09:12:05 am »

I didn't know to be a "real" fan, one should be a yes man and never ever criticise the club for anything they are doing wrong in one's eyes.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: October 2, 2022, 09:12:54 am »
I was talking about people being negative about Lijinders rather than the team. I doubt anyone is happy about the team form at the moment but there is no need to lash out at individuals who have played their part in giving this club an amazing ride.

I wasn't happy about the book when it came out either.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: October 2, 2022, 09:12:59 am »
You said it’s a fact though……

You got me! We are better than that 20/21 team!

Cant wait for us to beat Arsenal and City in our next two games playing so much better than that team!

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: October 2, 2022, 09:17:47 am »
I didn't know to be a "real" fan, one should be a yes man and never ever criticise the club for anything they are doing wrong in one's eyes.

I haven’t said people can’t question the team form, it’s those lashing out at individuals I have the problem with. We have to find someone to blame for something which happens in football all the time.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: October 2, 2022, 09:19:04 am »
I wasn't happy about the book when it came out either.

So what? The book isn’t the reason for our form now.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: October 2, 2022, 09:23:20 am »

Pride always comes before a fall. Last season it was articles about our amazing sports science and injury prevention (cue an injury crisis this season) or how well orchestrated our transfer strategy is (cue the shambles of the last window and our current midfield).

The old bootroom was based on being genuinely smart but shutting the fuck up about it.

It's that Rodgers thing of needing to tell the world how good he is. Just do your job. Klopp is extremely humble. He might be a great coach but a bit like with Gerrard now I can't see him as Jurgen's successor.

100% agree.

I don't care so much about our tactics and approach getting publicised - other teams scout us very extensively so it makes very llttle difference. What does drive me mad is the self-congratulatory nature of it. It's smug, over-proud, self-promoting and just not what I've come to associate with the Klopp era of Liverpool. That's not hindsight either - I thought it was a bad look back in the summer.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: October 2, 2022, 09:23:49 am »
So what? The book isn’t the reason for our form now.

Like what i said earlier, what annoys me more than the book is the underlying self congratulation that caused the book to be written. It ushered in the complacency that blinded ljinders and the team to the degraded nature of the midfield and the desperate need to bring jn new blood that is up to the task on an immediate basis to dominate the press and maintain the intensity.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: October 2, 2022, 09:24:54 am »

He was never going to be Klopp successor, the one first team role he had a go at he failed in, so far he’s proven to be a good No2 and that’s all.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: October 2, 2022, 09:26:20 am »
Mad to blame a book and Ljinders.

I think Klopp and him are opposites in how they see football in some ways. Was it against Chelsea last season where we conceded a couple of goals, Ljinders gave the interview and praised how much fun it was to watch us. I imagine Klopp had another view.

Probably why the duo work so well.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: October 2, 2022, 09:27:50 am »
Haven’t read the book but is it self congratulatory? Or is it something that people have cooked up just to get angry about something beyond their control?

Ken Early recently discussed it on Second Captains (also wrote an article about it for the Irish Times, but I haven't read that), and some of what he quoted was very Brendan Rodgers. Lijnders talking about the 'attaboy' texts he'd be getting from Mike Gordon and the like.

I have no doubt Lijnders is a very good coach and has fully played his part in our recent successes, but he does seem to like telling people that too.