Author Topic: Thank you Carra!  (Read 55588 times)

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Thank you Carra!
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2013, 11:23:07 am »
thank you Legend
YNWA

Offline maher

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone..
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2013, 11:33:40 am »
Thank You Jamie

Legend

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2013, 11:39:11 am »
Thank you Jamie.

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2013, 11:56:23 am »
Carra, you're gold and have proven time and again that you are the bedrock of our defence!

Offline dalebert

• Anny Roader
  • The Man In Black
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2013, 12:13:49 pm »
Some excellent pictures there.

He's gonna be missed and the sooner he's back involved with the club the better.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Dagger_5

• Boys Pen
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2013, 12:18:43 pm »
Anyone know if there's gonna be any mosaic at the game?

Would be awesome and Carra would be 100% worth it.

YNWA Carra, Thank you for all the memories!
twitter: @ryrlen

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2013, 12:21:42 pm »
Thank you.

Truly loves LFC.

Carra go well!!

Wish you com eback and teach the youngsters about loving the Liverbird.

Sad;-(

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2013, 12:24:22 pm »
Legend...................Wait for it
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2013, 01:41:25 pm »
The hardest thing about supporting one club for years is watching the legends retire and get older.

Times like this I wish I was a plastic fan ;-)

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2013, 01:50:23 pm »
I know he hasn't retired yet, but 3 pages on Jamie calling it a day? and about 150 pages for the other arl drunk down the road?

Sort it out. Anyway...

I was going to quit at Christmas, says Jamie Carragher as he prepares for final LFC flourish
16 May 2013 08:00

I want to sign off with a win - I just wish Stevie was playing reveals Reds legend as he prepares for final game on Sunday

JAMIE CARRAGHER is on a mission to sign off his Liverpool FC career with victory against Queens Park Rangers on Sunday – as he reveals his only regret is that he won’t have Steven Gerrard alongside him at Anfield.

The ECHO understands that both teams will form a guard of honour for Carragher before kick-off, while a mosaic on the Kop will pay tribute to the long-serving defender. There will also be a special presentation made to him after the game.

Steven Gerrard, who is recovering from shoulder surgery, will be there to watch his close friend take his final bow.

“I’m not the emotional type. I don’t get upset – that’s not me,” Carragher said.

“But it will be a big day as I’ve got a lot of great memories at Anfield. I’m just concentrating on the game itself and I want to make sure we finish the season with three points.

“I would have loved to have Stevie alongside me for this one. He would probably have let me be captain anyway.

“It’s strange to think that I won’t ever play alongside Stevie in a competitive game again. I suppose it’s the end of an era in that sense.”

THIS is the way Jamie Carragher wanted it to be. On Sunday the Kop legend will lead Liverpool out on an emotionally charged afternoon at Anfield. The visit of Queens Park Rangers will bring the curtain down not only on this season but on an illustrious career.

A capacity crowd will stand to applaud the contribution of one of the greatest servants in the club’s 121-year history.

Carragher’s 737th appearance for the Reds – a total only bettered by Ian Callaghan (857) – will be his last. The void created by his retirement will be vast as he adheres to the old adage of always leaving them wanting more.

Just a few months ago the Bootle-born defender feared the reality of his exit from Anfield would be very different.

Carragher had decided last summer that his 17th campaign of Premier League duty would be his swansong, but by the midway point of this season he was seriously considering packing in early.

He had started just one league game under Brendan Rodgers before Christmas and the prospect of continuing to warm the bench led him to reassess.

“I knew at the start of the season this would be my last season and I told the manager that,” Carragher said.

“Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel were umming and ahhing about whether they would be staying but they both ended up signing new contracts so I knew I wasn’t going to be first choice at that stage.

“The new manager was always going to go with them, but I saw the Carling Cup and the UEFA Cup as a way to get games in.

“But in the second half of the season I was worried. I was looking and thinking ‘where am I going to get games here?'

“Around Christmas I spoke to the manager then about calling it a day. I knew he would go stronger in the UEFA Cup the further we went so I wouldn’t have those games and we were out of the Carling Cup.

“We had a chat about it. Brendan has never tried to change my mind. He has always respected my thoughts as I know myself and my body better than anyone. I decided to keep going and I’m glad I did.

“After a couple of bad results, I think the manager felt ‘you know what, he trains well every day and has done well in the cup games he’s played so he deserves a go in the league’.

“I never ever caused a problem when I was substitute either under Kenny Dalglish last season or with Brendan.

“I never knocked on his door. The manager will tell you that. I just trained and played games when I was needed. I think the attitude I showed then and the way I conducted myself has got me the rewards of playing in recent months.”

The recall Carragher craved arrived in mid-January when he was preferred to Skrtel for the visit of Norwich City and didn’t put a foot wrong in a 5-0 triumph.

The 35-year-old has been first choice ever since – starting 14 of the past 15 league matches and only missing the trip to Southampton due to injury.

His consistency has rightly seen him showered with praise but he has never had any second thoughts since the day in February when he announced his retirement. Typically, even the timing of that saw him put the club first.

“After the Norwich game a lot was made about me being back in the side,” he said.

“The manager had spoken about me being vocal at the back and people were questioning him about my future. They were saying ‘well, his contract runs out in a few months so what are you going to do about it?’

“I didn’t want that dragging on. I’ve seen that happen at other clubs – like the Frank Lampard situation at Chelsea.

“I didn’t want it to look like there was a problem between me and the club. Whether they wanted to give me a new deal or not, or whether I wanted to stay on or not, I didn’t want to get involved in all that.

“The deal with Sky Sports to do TV work was there and I didn’t want it to leak out that I was joining them. I wanted to tell people myself.

“I was going to announce it but then I realised there were two big games coming up against Arsenal and Man City. I decided to wait until after them and it worked out perfectly for me. I did quite well in those two games and it was the right time for it to come out.”

Sunday represents the end of an era for a proud one-club man.

Carragher was just nine years old when he first walked into Liverpool’s School of Excellence.

He signed his first professional deal in 1996 and made his first team bow the following year.

Life after Liverpool will take some adjusting to but he is convinced the time is right to say farewell.

“People always talk about your career as if it only started when you became famous as a professional,” he said.

“But my football career started when I was six years of age. It will leave a big void. I do love playing football and I’ll certainly be looking for a five-aside team to join.

“I have always wanted to play for Liverpool and I feel very fortunate to have been able to do that throughout my entire career.

“I have never wanted to play for anyone else. I think it’s really good when you look around the world and see players who have only played for one team. I’ve always thought that was really classy.

“When you are playing for a top club who have won lots of trophies why would you want to leave? There was never any reason to and to be honest no-one has ever made a big effort to sign me.

“How do you finish at Liverpool?

There are two ways to go out.

“You either go out not playing, whether that’s on the bench or in the stand, or you go out playing.

“I always wanted to go out playing but I feared I would go out on the bench or in the stand.

“I think I could play for another year but would I be playing every week? The manager will look to strengthen in my position this summer and I couldn’t go back to being a sub again.

“I always wanted to go out with it being my decision, rather than the club saying we’re not going to give you a new contract or they want to move you on or you’re playing in the reserves.

“I intend to enjoy Sunday and go out on a high.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/going-quit-christmas-reveals-liverpool-3859720

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2013, 01:51:45 pm »
My favourite Carra moment has to be his celebration in Istanbul, where he just jumped past Dudek and ran off jumping about all over the place, absolutely quality.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2013, 01:56:45 pm »
I remember the first time I saw him play for us. I was in the old 147 in town with a load of mates. They used to get the Norwegian satellite channel in there, it was always packed out for matches. There was an ongoing debate about whether they used the Scando commentary or piped in radio city, which would be about twenty seconds ahead of the action.

It was the game against Villa. Cracking goal, everyone went mad. "Who was it? Who scored?" "It's the new lad!" "Weeeey! Hope we'll see a few more of them from him."

We didn't.

He never managed to get a regular place as a centre-mid. He looked a bit limited on the ball, but he had determination. Dropped back to full-back. Most of us thought he'd be decent cover. He had some great games there. Pretty sure he played both sides a few times.

It wasn't until he moved into the centre that he really started to look the part. No-one else seemed to rate him, but he had this sixth sense of where he needed to be. He was never the quickest, but somehow he'd get to his man just in time to put in the challenge. You'd see someone bearing down on goal, just the keeper to beat - and then WHAM! - Carra arrives from nowhere and the fella's flying through the air. No foul, of course, just taken the ball in a split second before anyone really saw it coming. Put it out for a corner. And then he'd be shouting and pointing, organising everyone.

I remember seeing him at the worst game I've ever been to (I don't get to the match that often and I've been very lucky when I have). Away to Spurs a few seasons back. The game I regard as the beginning of the end for Rafa Benitez. Not going to go on about that here, but what stood out then... We had a corner up their end. Johnson, making his debut for us, and Carra stayed back. Carra was taking the opportunity to explain something to Johnno. There was something about that. The fact he chose that moment, and the way Glen was nodding, both of them moving their hands while Carra explained exactly what it was he was getting at. I've no idea what it was, or if it affected Johnson at all, but it was the way he went over to him then and clearly said something like "get on this mate, this is how we do this" spoke volumes about him. I don't even know if that makes any sense to anyone else, but to me it confirmed a lot.

One of the all time greats. Shame he couldn't have played another 100 games.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2013, 02:04:12 pm »
RB, LB, CB, MF, the lad played nearly everywhere for us. So many good memories, Istanbul was the greatest though. no doubt about it. an absolute lion at the back.

We will miss having him around so badly.

Offline LFC_Verve

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2013, 02:12:32 pm »
Jamie Carragher personifies Liverpool Football Club.

Thank you for everything Carra, your character alone will be sorely missed. Sunday will be a teary one, hope he gets the send-off he deserves.

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2013, 02:16:35 pm »
Used to love watching him walk out at the likes of Everton and Utd like a gladiator. No fear. Thanks Carra don't stay away too long YNWA  :wellin
Cool down and play

Offline thew

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2013, 02:42:50 pm »
Thank-you Carra!  YNWA!

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2013, 02:43:16 pm »
Thanks Jamie.A true legend and professional.You will be missed.YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2013, 03:14:44 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9z-qKoDhMR0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9z-qKoDhMR0</a>
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2013, 03:21:55 pm »
I'm feeling a bit nostalgic about Carra's retirement. For me its kind of the end of my youth (I'm nearly 30 so maybe that should have been years ago...), its the end of one of my last 'boyhood' heroes and once Stevie goes I'm not sure I'll ever hold a Liverpool player up as as much of an idol ever again. Not because we won't see such players again but because I'm older than most of our squad now and being fanatical about multimillionaires from timbuktu has never really appealed to me.

Not only for me and people of my age but it's the end of an era of small renaissance for us as a club. In his time here we've won everything but the league, been one of the scary teams in Europe and we were a force again for a while. We were Liverpool again for a while and a lot of that is owed to this man.

He's done great things on the pitch and I know how much he does behind closed doors for the local community and stuff too. He's had his retractors on these boards for a few years now. I'd be banned for saying what I really think of these people.

To play as many times for us as he has in the modern era, and win the trophies he has is a massive achievement. What a player, what a man. Will be sorely, sorely missed.

So thanks Carra, thanks for being a Liverpool great, thanks for giving me my own great memories as a Liverpool fan and not having to rely solely on stories from my al fella, thanks for being one of the greatest defenders in Europe and thanks for doing it for Liverpool.

Offline webby1982

• Main Stander
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2013, 03:39:32 pm »
Im 30 and i feel like i have grew up with Jamie and Stevie. It'll be strange next season thats for sure. I have loved watching Jamie giving it everything in every game, giving everyone a bollocking if they arent. I hope he works with the club in the future. I find it strange that my first real idol John Barnes doesnt have more to do with the club.

Ill never forget Istanbul and Jamie cramped up and still clearing everything and leading the team on to win the cup. Although i think its a bigger testament to say that in all the games he played he never let me down as a fan and i dont think ill be able to say that again.

Hope i am wrong.

All the best Jamie you scouse legend you.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2013, 04:01:06 pm »
Thanks Carra you absolute legend.

All the best to you!

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2013, 04:48:22 pm »
Thank you Carra for keeping our goal safe for all them years and also for leading the team with your passion. I'm going to miss hearing him scream live and on the telly.

Hope you go on and have a wonderful life and get to spend more time with your friends and family.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2013, 05:20:52 pm »
My favourite Carra moment has to be his celebration in Istanbul, where he just jumped past Dudek and ran off jumping about all over the place, absolutely quality.

Went off to find his clan in the crowd didn't he?

Offline cester-the-red

• Main Stander
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2013, 05:26:26 pm »
Thank you Carra , I was stood on the Kop the day he made his debut In Midfield that day , Think he played instead /with John  Barnes . Scored at the Kop end and like the poster above I thought. Aye Aye , What Gem have we unearthed here? , a goal scoring Midfielder? , Well goal scoring Midfielder he wasn't , But a Gem he was, Legend is a word used far to often these days but not In this case . That Video made me go all cold and I so wish I could be there on Sunday, So give him the best send off lads, lets see if we can get him to cry  :'( Loved the face on him when he was doing that yogo session pissed myself when I saw that aired , Best Memories has to be Istanbul

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2013, 05:40:12 pm »
Never believed the stories of his "holding the club to ransom" or "having a huge part in getting Rafa sacked". Was embarrassed of a lot of fans when they spouted vitriol towards him. Do not believe he is perfect, the man had his flaws, he still does. What makes him a hero in my book is he never, ever looked disinterested. I know a lot of people will scoff at me and call me delusional but I still believe that the dip in form he had after 2010 had more to do with his body showing the obvious wear and tear rather than a lack of effort on his part. Still, he soldiered on. The criticisms, the sometimes abuse directed towards him as been shameful and will be a blight against our fans for a long time to come. Yet, he soldiered on.

It will be a huge loss to see him hang up his boots. Hopefully, he will experiment with the media circus that is Sky and come back, hopefully as a part of Brendan's boot room. All the very best Jamie, you are an absolute hero for me and a lot of other fans. He will be missed.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2013, 05:40:53 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_AcLzt0eICo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_AcLzt0eICo</a>

His finest hour & pinnacle of his career.

If anyone ever wants to know what Carra was all about as a player - that night sums him up.
A great career and a wonderful servant to the club.

Thanks Carra !
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2013, 05:41:37 pm »
Legend. Probably not the most gifted of our legends, but still a legend nonetheless.

Offline joeyboswell

• Main Stander
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2013, 06:00:12 pm »

Offline Right Said Red

• I'm too self-righteous for this Orum! Not an expert. Monumental Idiot.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2013, 06:05:30 pm »
Not sure if it has been said yet.  But one of my favourite moments was when he was being interviewed by Shreeves about whether he'd leave Liverpool to join a 'bigger' club and Carragher just said "who's bigger than Liverpool" - class response and exactly my thoughts.

On the pitch Istanbul is clearly his best moment.  Around that time he was one of the best centre backs around and would have been a regular for an other International side really, just a shame two of the other best centre backs around at the time were Ferdinand and Terry.

He will be missed and he has been underrated by many over the years, even some of our own fans on here! 

I wish him good luck at Sky and hopes he comes across as well as Neville does as a pundit. 

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2013, 06:17:40 pm »
Will be sad to see him go. Definitely one of our finest purest defenders. His performance in Istanbul was outstanding. Look forward to seeing him on Sky next season and one day back at the club I'm sure.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2013, 10:43:23 pm »
Thanks Jaimie for giving your 100% every time  :'(. Can't believe he will be gone next year. This season he has proved once more why we are blessed to have professional like him.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2013, 11:44:38 pm »
Basically never use it but twatted the link to this thread to the official #thankscarra thing. Hopefully he'll receive our thanks from here.  :D
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2013, 11:49:13 pm »
While he was playing, there was a corner of some foreign field that was forever Liverpool FC.

Best thing about him was that he never took a backward step.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2013, 11:52:41 pm »
Take a bow son, take a bow.
#JFT97

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2013, 04:55:20 am »
SELAMAT BERSARA JAMIE! 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline tjtaylor182

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2013, 01:36:39 pm »
Always one of my favorite players. I appreciate a player who isn't the most technically gifted but works hard to get the best of the ability he has. Will also miss the enthusiasm he brings to the game. For me he is one of the last players we will see who looks like a fan playing on pitch. 

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2013, 01:40:44 pm »
absolute legend.

he's on talksport drive later

Offline LucyLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »
I grew up watching Carragher play and he very qucikly grew to be one of my favourite players. Istanbul has to be his finest hour but in every game he's played he's always given 100%. Will miss seeing you play Carragher :( and i will also miss seeing you screaming orders at everyone on the pitch!! YNWA Jamie :)

Offline BFM

• Legacy Fan
  • Compulsive hyperbolic exaggerator
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2013, 02:02:57 pm »
LEGEND
If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.

Offline Shite Name

• With a post history to match it.
  • Kopite
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2013, 04:03:38 pm »
Carra is gonna be on talkShite soon, don't know what time it will be, but it will be on the Durham show.