Author Topic: All In One Printer Choice  (Read 5940 times)

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
All In One Printer Choice
« on: December 20, 2006, 11:46:21 pm »
I have searched and found nothing that really seemed to answer my question - hence this post.

I need to buy a new All In One Printer for around the £100-£150 mark.

It needs to be economical as it will be used for things like my wife's Uni assignments (print quality must be of a decent standard).

It needs to be able to connect and be used as part of my home network (Wifi would be great)

It needs to stand up to use from my teenage daughter (homework etc)

It needs to have Memory Card slots and if possible Pict Bridge

If possible it should have a horizontal paper feed - flatbed I think?

If anybody has any recommendations please let me know :)
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Re: All In One Printer Choice
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:09:50 am »
You need to look at running costs, a lot of the all in ones are cheap to buy but pricey to run. Lexmarks for one.

If you're planning on doing a lot of printing I'd consider 2 machines, a cheap laser as well as a combined colour printer scanner. It may well work out cheaper, especially if you get toner refills rather than new cartridges, besides lasers are better for text. You can get a cheap Samsung Laser from ebuyer for under £50, it could soon pay for itself if your wife is doing a lot assignments.

If you deffo want all in one think there's a decent HP in your price range with all the features you specify, can't recall a model number though. Have a look in the bargain thread stickied at the top and browse through ebuyer and overclockers and read a few reviews
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 09:56:40 am »
Thanks Armin.

It looks a choice between the Canon Pixma MP600 and the HP 2575.

Anyone have any experience of these?
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 02:51:13 pm »
I have decided on the Canon Pixma MP600.

Now I have to decide to get the wireless model or the base model and buy a Bluetooth print server.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 05:29:47 pm »
I have decided on the Canon Pixma MP600.

Now I have to decide to get the wireless model or the base model and buy a Bluetooth print server.
Good choice.
Mind you,Any choice other than fuckin Lexmark has got to be good.
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 11:53:55 pm »
epson rx560 amazon.CO.UK 113POUNDS BRILL PRINTER CHEAP INK AT BROADWAY INDOOR MARKET 5POUNDS FOR SIX INKS

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 3, 2007, 08:02:06 pm »
Finally plumped for a Brother MFC 440CN.

Seems to do all I want for £149 from Staples down to £134 after a voucher.

Got 14 days to get it sorted or take it back for another.

Anyone got any experience of Brother Printers - should I stay or should I go?????

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2007, 10:55:14 am »
Doh!!! The numpty in Staples told me this was a Wireless printer but it is not.

Have to take it back and change it.

Need to go back and look for a wireless one now....

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2007, 11:19:04 am »
Doh!!! The numpty in Staples told me this was a Wireless printer but it is not.

Have to take it back and change it.

Need to go back and look for a wireless one now....

It's been awhile since I looked at consumer law but I'm pretty sure it's well within your rights to execute that assistant in a manner of your choice. A touch extreme when a mere flogging would suffice but it may improve the standard of consumer care in that store.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2007, 11:24:12 am »
And he was such a nice chap for a numpty.

I appreciate your earlier comments about 2 machines but money and space dictate just the one.

The annoying thing is finding a printer that I like and then finding it has shit reviews and is rather unreliable.

So do I go for my original choice of the Canon MP600R, take a 'chance' on what seems to be a dodgy HP or go for the unknown with a Brother???????

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
Advice needed on new printer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 08:50:09 am »
My old Epson inkjet printer gave up the ghost recently & I need to get a new printer.

Requirements: nothing too fancy needed, everyday printing of tickets, letters etc. May need colour when printing work documents at home, like presentations or reports. Budget around £150 max.

Been looking at lasers ahead of inkjets. Dont want high running costs. Looked at a few brands: like the look of 1 of the Samsung lasers.

Anyone got any bright ideas for me?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Advice needed on new printer
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:52:45 am »
When looking at colour laser printers check the price of compatible toner cartridges. Not all printers have cheap alternative toner suppliers.

Last year I got a Dell 2150cdn for about 120 quid - I needed the duplexer.

You can get a set of 4 compatible toner cartridges for 40 notes, as opposed to 80 quid each for the official version.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 11:31:28 am »
If you're just using it for occasional printing, have you really a need for spending so much on a printer?

Personally I'd go for one with decent print quality (most will be for 'normal' printing) and cheap alternative cartridges - something you could probably get for under half the £150 budget.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 08:51:40 pm »
have a look on offeroftheday.co.uk   .. at the top-'office & computers/printers'.... see all today's offers  8)
http://www.offeroftheday.co.uk/

or Ebuyer.com...

for your Inks... i use inksquid.com.. never had a problem with them.  ;)
http://theinksquid.com/

I'm sure others on here use similar sites too...  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 2, 2016, 06:01:40 pm »
Looking for a good quality printer/scanner/copier that is capable of doing 40-60 pages per week without drinking the ink like I drink pints on my lunch. One that will last for a few years.

Any recommendations welcome  :wave
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Birdontheshirt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: November 3, 2016, 12:00:53 am »
I did a fair bit of research before buying the HP Envy 7640 about three months ago.  I'm pleased with it - I need a reliable wifi printer/scanner/copier, and this doesn't seem to lose wifi connection like my previous epson printer.  It's a Which? best buy - as are several other of the HP Envy range.  I think non-wifi ones in the range are cheaper.  Depends on what you want.  Regarding printing costs, it gets 4 stars (out of 5) in the Which review.

I think all printers seem to drink ink.  This doesn't seem quite as thirsty as some.
Luck favours the brave, but not the stupid.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 3, 2016, 10:50:10 am »
I have a HP Envy 4502 and it's been sound, easy setup etc. Ink is expensive but you do get Groupon offers that can help.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 3, 2016, 11:03:31 am »
I've currently got a HP C4400, which is a decent enough printer, but the ink is shit. I'm getting less than half of what I should from a brand new cartridge. Last 2 cartridges I'd be surprised if I got more than 140 pages in total. That really should be enough for closer to 300. I need something that gets me somewhat close to what the page yeild on the descriptions suggest. 

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #18 on: November 3, 2016, 12:43:40 pm »
Looking for a good quality printer/scanner/copier that is capable of doing 40-60 pages per week without drinking the ink like I drink pints on my lunch. One that will last for a few years.

Any recommendations welcome  :wave

I've worked in the printing business for 17 years and all I could say to you is, if you do a lot of printing you are better off paying more for a good quality printer as then you will be able to buy cartridges that will have more ink in them and last longer. If you buy a cheap printer the cartridges won't last long at all...

Hope that helps!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 3, 2016, 01:13:39 pm »
I've worked in the printing business for 17 years and all I could say to you is, if you do a lot of printing you are better off paying more for a good quality printer as then you will be able to buy cartridges that will have more ink in them and last longer. If you buy a cheap printer the cartridges won't last long at all...

Hope that helps!

Yeah I don't mind going to around £100-£125 ish mark. As I said, it'll be doing 40-60 pages a week every week for as long as it lasts.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #20 on: November 3, 2016, 02:09:40 pm »
Yeah I don't mind going to around £100-£125 ish mark. As I said, it'll be doing 40-60 pages a week every week for as long as it lasts.

Ok, well the thing to remember about the printing business model is "they'll get you one way or the other".

You can A - Buy a cheap printer that the company, say HP, sell at a loss in some cases (believe it or not) and then spend the duration paying a lot for low fill ink cartridges.

Or B - Spend a good amount of money (like what you are thinking or a little more even) up front on the printer and then enjoy the fact that the cartridges you pay for will go a lot further than option A. There are also Instant Ink deals you can sign up for with HP for example that might be worth looking into for you.

Also, would be a good idea to have a look online at a few options, then google what supplies the ones you have short listed take, to see how many pages and what sort of costs replacement cartridges/supplies will set you back.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
New printer needed
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2016, 11:26:52 pm »
Ive not had my own printer @ home for years (managed to use ones @ work or library). However, need a new 1 to print out stuff for work like reports/presentations etc and other text docs like gig tickets, CVs etc. Had an Epson inkjet, but dont know if a laser one is better now. Budget of around £150. Printing costs also important.   

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Re: New printer needed
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2016, 12:26:06 pm »
Have a look in here mate http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=157552.0, I have a HP envy and it's been sound.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2016, 12:55:30 pm »
If you're going to not use the printer for long periods of time, then a laser printer is better, as the printer head  tends to dry out in an inkjet.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2016, 01:09:06 pm »
I work backwards.....go to an ink selling website and look for the cheapest ink refills and see what printers they fit :D

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2016, 02:46:20 pm »
If you're going to not use the printer for long periods of time, then a laser printer is better, as the printer head  tends to dry out in an inkjet.

True. I've lost count of the printers I've chucked because I haven't used them for a few months. Even the print head cleaning regime does nothing.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 12:08:42 pm »
Not sure about an all-in-ones.  I get the advantage of space saving (and maybe an easier way to  do scan-to-print) but when the printer inevitably fucks you end up trashing a perfectly good scanner.

I would definitely go for a laser printer though. I got sick of ink - it costs a fortune, occasionally shags documents and eventually it will do for the printer itself.  Print quality for business is also superior and with a laser and it doesn't run if it gets wet!

I bought a small Samsung colour laser (CLP315) to fit my desk about 6 years ago for about £100 and its been great. One black toner cartridge is supposed to do 1,500 pages and costs about £36 (2.4 p/sheet) but if you are canny you can pick up genuine Samsung ones on ebay for £10-20 (about 1p/sheet).

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
New HP Printer
« Reply #27 on: July 5, 2020, 04:02:05 pm »
I am having to replace my old HP Deskjet 1510 printer, usually I would replace like for like with the same model, but that's not possible. Can anyone recommend a printer which is similar? Thanks.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Re: New HP Printer
« Reply #28 on: July 5, 2020, 11:01:23 pm »
I bought a HP 4502 all in one printer a good while back and its been excellent, still get them on Amazon I think about £50.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29 on: July 5, 2020, 11:51:14 pm »
We recently bought an HP Envy 5000 (I think) and evening for an idiot like me it’s really good to use. Can print via an app on my phone, or via the laptop and can get ink automatically ordered when it’s running low.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 6, 2020, 06:54:43 am »
Thanks guys. There seem to be a lot of offers about supplying the inks for a certain amount of time on Amazon at the moment. Will probably pick one of those, pretty sure there not doing the 1510 anymore.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2020, 10:50:57 am »
I settled for an HP2720 in the end, it's basic but that is what I am looking for, getting it today.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 03:24:46 pm »
Personally when buying a new printer the first thing I do is go find out how much the refills are going to be and work backwards from there to get the printer that does the job needed. So many rip you off for the price of refills

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #33 on: October 5, 2020, 08:10:40 am »
For cheap printing, you can't beat Epson's ecotank series. 

No cartridges with lockout chip fuckery, but simple ink bottles instead.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2022, 01:11:12 pm »
Old thread bump!

After a printer, but I am the least decisive person in the world when I don't have good information and reviews for most are shocking. Don't want to spend a fortune or end up with something that has extortionate ink costs. I've had inkjets and a laser before, laser great for doc printing but I think it'd be nice to be able to print colour or photos and artwork so been looking at inkjets. I don't exactly need a scanner as I've got a good one already. I've been looking at Epson because they were always good for photo printing and I saw this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Expression-Photo-XP-970-Printer/dp/B07XZHX1RT/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

And I was also looking at the WorkForce one on argos, which I guess won't be as good for photo prints but it's not like I want to do things to sell or anything. The thing with that workforce one is size, it looks fucking massive. The other one isn't exactly tiny, but I like the idea of being able to print larger than A4, could do some nice prints for the house/office.

Anyone have one, know these are shite or can recommend ones to look at?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2022, 10:11:37 pm »
The one you linked to seems to have cheap cartridges

https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/epson/ink-cartridges/epson-expression-photo-xp-970

Scroll down to like £4 for refills

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2022, 09:15:01 am »
oh cool, cheers mate!

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2022, 09:22:34 am »
Was basically looking for the same thing.

I use my printer for an at home business and need an all in one printer/copier/scanner.

Looks like that one is a little small.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a good home office unit.

I'm using an HP Pro 479 and the ink costs are getting ridiculous.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Recommend a Home Office Printer
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2022, 12:32:33 pm »
Anyone got some good recommendations. I am getting really fucked off with what seems to be about a 2-3 life span for home printers.

I have an HP Laserjet Pro M479fdw.

2 years on and it really has some reliability issues, print cartridges are criminally expensive and I just feel at the end of my patience with it.

Does anyone have a home printer they actually like.

Cost is less of an issue as I really do run my business from my home, so I use it pretty regularly and like having a decent paper cartridge, good scanner and good print capability.

Thanks.

Offline Rush7V

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Recommend a Home Office Printer
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2022, 01:46:26 pm »
Anyone got some good recommendations. I am getting really fucked off with what seems to be about a 2-3 life span for home printers.

I have an HP Laserjet Pro M479fdw.

2 years on and it really has some reliability issues, print cartridges are criminally expensive and I just feel at the end of my patience with it.

Does anyone have a home printer they actually like.

Cost is less of an issue as I really do run my business from my home, so I use it pretty regularly and like having a decent paper cartridge, good scanner and good print capability.

Thanks.

The joys of an inkjet printer, it's sometimes/usually cheaper to just buy a new printer than to replace the cartridges. You'd be better off looking into a laser printer, it'll work out cheaper in the long run and last a lot longer - maybe something like a Brother L2750 or a Canon MF743?