The Liverpool FC Forum > RAWK Announcements, Feedback & Questions

Little help (techie stuff)

(1/6) > >>

Cardie:
Planning on building (or getting built for me cos I'm crap at stuff like that) a shiny new custom PC before christmas, is it worth shelling out for Windows XP?? I like the sound of it but thought I'd ask ppl who know a bit more about it!!!

Cardie:
Christ, on the ball today Bob!!!!

ttnbd:
Cardie personally I would not get XP as it is very restrictive.  Nearly everytime you add on hardware, sometimes software, you are required to ring microsoft up and get an access code in order to get it working. This is only done by letting microsoft know the specifications of your machine.

Also Microsoft are further trying to corner the market by trying to force every1 to use their products if they buy XP. ie you may have to use their internet connectio, browsers, security services, etc. Of what I have heard there are very little in the way of leway in terms of other ISP's being allowed to work on XP.

ou can find a more detailed explanation on the BBC website in the Sci/Tech Section of the News section.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1615000/1615531.stm

Ben S:
I personally wouldnt pay for a copy.... Pst broadband ;)

And no it not really restrictive in terms of what software, ISP etc you can use..... I use it myself

Pheeny:
Active anti-piracy effort

Also ushered in with XP is the need to activate the software. Anyone upgrading to XP will have to get in touch with Microsoft and receive an activation number that will let them use the software indefinitely.

taken from the fore mentioned BBC site,what do they mean ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version