Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 211522 times)

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #1280 on: May 28, 2017, 09:46:07 pm »
takumo fucking sato? really? wow.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1281 on: May 28, 2017, 09:56:29 pm »
Montoya won it in 2000 on his first attempt the year before he joined F1.

I found this on wiki which made me laugh.

Despite public warnings from two-time Indy 500 winner Al Unser, Jr. claiming that if a driver does not respect the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the place "will bite you – hard" Montoya shrugged off the advice claiming that all four corners were exactly the same and that the track required less attention than the road courses in the CART series and in European racing.

Then goes and wins it. ;D

Brilliant  ;D Always had a soft spot for Montoya
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1282 on: May 28, 2017, 10:02:48 pm »
Sky Sports feeling the need to explain themselves regarding the legality (!) of Ferrari's strategy:

:lmao

The negative coverage of Ferraris strategy on C4 and the BBC has been a joke compared to the way it was covered when Bottas helped Hamilton earlier in the season.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1283 on: May 28, 2017, 10:08:24 pm »
Despite public warnings from two-time Indy 500 winner Al Unser, Jr. claiming that if a driver does not respect the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the place "will bite you – hard" Montoya shrugged off the advice claiming that all four corners were exactly the same and that the track required less attention than the road courses in the CART series and in European racing.

Then goes and wins it. ;D
;D

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1284 on: May 28, 2017, 10:08:38 pm »
Brilliant  ;D Always had a soft spot for Montoya
spa one year on radio

"Fucking Raikkonen, what a fucking idiot'
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1285 on: May 28, 2017, 10:33:29 pm »
spa one year on radio

"Fucking Raikkonen, what a fucking idiot'

Pulling that one in free practise makes it even better  ;D

Not even like Kimi ruined a pole lap or anything...
Linudden.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #1286 on: May 28, 2017, 11:20:49 pm »
So who's ready for the Coca-Cola 600?

600 more miles of racing.. :P

Getting ready for the green flag. Minutes away.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1287 on: May 29, 2017, 03:12:53 am »
I'm really starting to hate Honda.  Such a shame for Fernando and I think that despite his position that he would have finished in the top three minimum as he'd only dropped down due to taking care of the tyres for the finish.  Anyhow, good story on him and his Indy experience here:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2017/05/28/doyel-fernando-alonso-won-everything-but-race/346010001/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:17:25 am by Darren G »

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1288 on: May 29, 2017, 09:00:56 pm »
Never watched Indy before but that was actually really exciting. The ad breaks are beyond ridiculous but it was cool to see a completely different type of racing with completely different strategy. It does look like it's a bit too easy/common to get lucky with the caution flags though.

I thought Alonso was seriously impressive. He gave the crowd a good show.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1289 on: May 29, 2017, 09:06:49 pm »
When it comes to the Indy 500.

You can win with the fastest car.

You can win with fuel strategy.

You can win with race strategy.

And cars actually pass other cars for the lead on the track... :P

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1290 on: May 29, 2017, 09:27:30 pm »
When it comes to the Indy 500.

You can win with the fastest car.

You can win with fuel strategy.

You can win with race strategy.

And cars actually pass other cars for the lead on the track... :P

You missed the bit where anyone can win it   ;)

If Takuma Sato can get a seat I reckon we all band together and see if we can get our very own Hellrazor a gig in the Indy 500

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1291 on: May 29, 2017, 09:51:23 pm »

If Takuma Sato can get a seat I reckon we all band together and see if we can get our very own Hellrazor a gig in the Indy 500
:lmao

I'll do it

I'm the same shape as montoya

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1292 on: May 29, 2017, 11:17:02 pm »
Had my over-ears on to watch the Indy 500 yesterday - the sound of those cars on the opening laps was incredible*...regardless of whether or not it seemed a bit of a lottery (and I claim no great understanding of it), it seemed a great spectacle and I'd love to go on day.

*Worth noting that I did also find it quite breathtaking standing on the inside of Mossley Hill Drive when the Tour of Britain swarmed through back in 2014 ;D

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #1293 on: May 30, 2017, 12:07:34 am »
That dixion fella was so lucky my god, and the photographer too (5 mins 24 secs :o ) was texting all his mates on the strecher almost luckier! could of got his feckin head cut off

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tHdYvq-x2-8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tHdYvq-x2-8</a>

and does anyone know where to find this onboard but actually facing the crash?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/h58OdVwRAHw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/h58OdVwRAHw</a>

great safety all round
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:09:27 am by Daniel Cabbaggio »
YNWA

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1294 on: May 30, 2017, 01:35:22 am »
No doubt the Indy 500 is probably a great experience. However, I'm not sure whether those crashes are just unlucky events or a big part of the race. I mean look at the guys in the lead 40 laps or so from the end where they basically have to hope someone crashes and it's a yellow flag so they can maybe last a bit longer and just have one pit stop like the guys behind them instead of two. That seems a bit strange to me. And on the other hand, there is overtaking, but only because drivers kind of have to take a back seat or they end up in the barrier and might be put into a hole in the ground the next day instead of going home in the evening to their wife and kids. I might be getting the completely wrong vibe from just watching just one race, but I'm not really comfortable with it...

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1295 on: May 30, 2017, 01:55:17 am »

Not anyone...Pippa Mann hasn't won it yet.  :P

Actually, never thought Sato would win Sunday.

But when a race is 500 miles, a lot happens.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: May 30, 2017, 02:13:30 am »
I used to watch a lot more F1 but nowadays it bores me to tears.

There's 2 teams who might win, the rest make up the field. If you're not on the front row, chances are you won't win. Once the teams get through lap one, turn one, it's like parade laps as there is little overtaking unless it's some back markers. There's no refueling anymore, so teams deliberately dial down their race pace to make the race distance or time. Oh and team strategy.. ::)

They drone on about pit strategy or tyre strategy but unless it is between the drivers in the top 2 positions, little changes. We have an exciting battle for 7th and 8th to get the last points... ::)

Now if F1 really wanted to make the racing exciting, take the finishing order of Monaco, invert it and that's the starting grid for Canada. So Vettle is last, Kimi, next last, etc. THAT would spice up the racing.  :P

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1297 on: May 30, 2017, 02:15:23 am »
No doubt the Indy 500 is probably a great experience. However, I'm not sure whether those crashes are just unlucky events or a big part of the race. I mean look at the guys in the lead 40 laps or so from the end where they basically have to hope someone crashes and it's a yellow flag so they can maybe last a bit longer and just have one pit stop like the guys behind them instead of two. That seems a bit strange to me. And on the other hand, there is overtaking, but only because drivers kind of have to take a back seat or they end up in the barrier and might be put into a hole in the ground the next day instead of going home in the evening to their wife and kids. I might be getting the completely wrong vibe from just watching just one race, but I'm not really comfortable with it...

The very nature of racing that many cars around an oval means crashes are going to happen.  You're not following, you're side to side.  And there is an element of it that is stupidly dangerous, guys have been celebrated for their willingness to put someone into the wall, or so I believe.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1298 on: May 30, 2017, 02:28:14 am »
The very nature of racing that many cars around an oval means crashes are going to happen.  You're not following, you're side to side.  And there is an element of it that is stupidly dangerous, guys have been celebrated for their willingness to put someone into the wall, or so I believe.

Nah.

Not so much Indy because it is a 2 1/2 mile oval cars aren't constantly passing each other. You get to the smaller tracks of one mile or 1 1/2 mile and the top cars are constantly passing slower cars. Which leads to any error and cars can wreck. When one wrecks it usually takes the other car out. So leaders have to pass with care and back markers have to not make any moves to block.

When they wreck on ovals they're going 200 mph. Wreck on a road course over taking going into turns and the cars have slowed way down to first or second gear. They may damage each other but  the drivers  aren't  injured. On Ovals at speed, the chances of the driver being hurt is much greater. Which is why drivers know not to "put someone in the wall".

Now a mechanical failure at speed in any series and the drivers are at risk.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1299 on: May 30, 2017, 03:32:35 am »
I used to watch a lot more F1 but nowadays it bores me to tears.

There's 2 teams who might win, the rest make up the field. If you're not on the front row, chances are you won't win. Once the teams get through lap one, turn one, it's like parade laps as there is little overtaking unless it's some back markers. There's no refueling anymore, so teams deliberately dial down their race pace to make the race distance or time. Oh and team strategy.. ::)

They drone on about pit strategy or tyre strategy but unless it is between the drivers in the top 2 positions, little changes. We have an exciting battle for 7th and 8th to get the last points... ::)

Now if F1 really wanted to make the racing exciting, take the finishing order of Monaco, invert it and that's the starting grid for Canada. So Vettle is last, Kimi, next last, etc. THAT would spice up the racing.  :P

F1 is a lot better this season - obviously it is a hard sell after a Monaco GP where I don't think there was a single clean overtake but the tyre issues of the last few seasons (which was the problem rather than the fuel) have been addressed and the drivers are now back to driving on or close to the limit consistently. I can understand how somebody could lose interest over the last few years but it is definitely worth getting back into at the moment.

I've never seen the point in comparing F1 with Indycar - the two series are completely different to each other and should be seen as complementary rather than competing with each other.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #1300 on: May 30, 2017, 09:31:28 am »
I started watching indycar a few years ago when I got totally bored of F1, so it's quite interesting to see peoples opinions who are seeing it for the first time.

Now I have less time so don't see every race - but it's clearly a totally different thing to F1, and for me thats part of the appeal. I like the variety between road courses, street courses and ovals. Each demands a different set of skills from the drivers.

I was disappointed with the BT coverage, the studio setup felt totally detached from the event. But I think they do this every year for the 500. For regular races they just pick up the US feed for the whole show, which is still a bit half baked. Might just stream it from the US next time.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1301 on: May 30, 2017, 07:05:13 pm »
Eric broadly (Lola) died today

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1302 on: June 7, 2017, 10:53:16 pm »
Sounds like McLaren have finally had enough of shite Honda engines...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40196307

They've had long enough to sort it out, and they're still miles of the pace.

Don't blame McLaren
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1303 on: June 8, 2017, 09:38:26 am »
Sounds like McLaren have finally had enough of shite Honda engines...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40196307

They've had long enough to sort it out, and they're still miles of the pace.

Don't blame McLaren
nope

the only surprise is this hasnt happened sooner

i think people can see from monaco its a good chassis. Button should have been top 10 in quali and he hadnt driven the car. Vandoorne should have been a couple of points better off. Honda are a disaster. its also clear to everyone more so than ever the driver isnt the issue. Alonso has wasted 3 years of his career driving that pig of an engine.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1304 on: June 8, 2017, 09:46:50 am »
It's a warning shot from McLaren, Red Bull did exactly the same to Renault a couple of years back.

If I remember correctly there's a number of drivers contracts up this year. Red Bull will stick with their pairing but I see McLaren being left with the scraps when looking for drivers in the next year or two.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1305 on: June 8, 2017, 09:48:03 am »
It's a warning shot from McLaren, Red Bull did exactly the same to Renault a couple of years back.

If I remember correctly there's a number of drivers contracts up this year. Red Bull will stick with their pairing but I see McLaren being left with the scraps when looking for drivers in the next year or two.
i really hope Alonso gets a drive with someone who can win a title

Mercedes maybe? would he go back to Ferrari?

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1306 on: June 8, 2017, 09:51:24 am »
i really hope Alonso gets a drive with someone who can win a title

Mercedes maybe? would he go back to Ferrari?

Can't see beyond him going to Renault.

And, thinking about it, I don't think that Palmer in the opposite direction would be so strange either.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1307 on: June 8, 2017, 09:56:01 am »
I cant see Renault being much better than where he is now. they would be doing well to get 5th in the constructors

he needs a top 3 team. minimum

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1308 on: June 8, 2017, 10:09:00 am »
Don't McLaren produce their own car engines now, including for the incredibly impressive P1? Surely at this rate developing their own must be a better option than sticking with Honda.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1309 on: June 8, 2017, 10:20:27 am »
Can't see beyond him going to Renault.

And, thinking about it, I don't think that Palmer in the opposite direction would be so strange either.

Really not a fan of Palmer, not even sure he should be in F1 at all next year.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1310 on: June 8, 2017, 10:24:59 am »
Won't be long before Renault are right back up there,I'm surprised James Allison didn't go back there when he left Ferrari.

Be interesting when they are back up there will they give Redbull the same spec engine. :D

I picture the Renault team fighting for wins and Horner moaning to the the press about it,and threatening to go to another engine supplier.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1311 on: June 8, 2017, 10:26:37 am »
Really not a fan of Palmer, not even sure he should be in F1 at all next year.

He can bring both experience and cash though, which might be of interest to the team given the lack of title sponsor.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1312 on: June 8, 2017, 10:29:57 am »
Won't be long before Renault are right back up there

Based on?

They've been trying to catch up without much luck for longer than Honda.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1313 on: June 8, 2017, 10:30:16 am »
Don't McLaren produce their own car engines now, including for the incredibly impressive P1? Surely at this rate developing their own must be a better option than sticking with Honda.
Yeah i've always thought of that.

They have the funds,people and logistics to do the power unit and engine themselves.

They should hire that guy from Mario Illien from Ilmor who they have a history with and let him recruit the best guys and build a winning calibre engine.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2017, 10:38:10 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1314 on: June 8, 2017, 10:37:02 am »

The issue is going from impressive engines in road cars, or even other series race cars LMP series or Indycar ones, and F1 engines is as big a leap as making toast, and cooking a fugu banquet while blindfolded, and simultaneously trying to complete a rubix cube.

Honda are very successful at making engines. For everything. Road cars, sports cars, race bikes, boats, planes, lawnmowers, you name it, Honda can make a brilliant engine for it. Its what they do. And yet, they have struggled to make a competitive and reliable engine for F1 because its a bigger challenge than anything else.

Their main issue is they started a few years behind everyone else, so catching up is an almost impossible task, until engine regulations change, or are at least stable enough for everyone to catch up. Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault are all constantly developing their engines, so Honda have to work even harder, just to gain a few tenths on everyone else. McLaren are also a very successful manufacturing company, but starting now, at essentially the 6th year of these engines development, is pointless. You might as well not bother and power it with the drivers feet, you wont get close to anyone.

I dont know what McLarens best plan is, but at this moment theyre kind of stuck in a "Honda or bust" scenario because if they take a Merc engine, it wont be the same spec as the works car, which means they will be at a disadvantage and less likely to beat them.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1315 on: June 8, 2017, 10:37:44 am »
Based on?

They've been trying to catch up without much luck for longer than Honda.
2001 there return to F1 as a team when they had a pig of a car and engine in the Button Fisichella days when they got about a handful of points that season and that was at Spa i recall.

By 05-06 they were the benchmark team.

And a Renault engine has been winning races in this era of the V6,Honda haven't even been close to a podium yet,so they are well clear of the Honda engines.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1316 on: June 8, 2017, 10:47:50 am »
Have they released any data from the Kubica test? Wonder if they're looking at bringing him in for Palmer if he can cut it?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1317 on: June 8, 2017, 10:49:40 am »
Have they released any data from the Kubica test? Wonder if they're looking at bringing him in for Palmer if he can cut it?

As far as I know he wont be able to ever race in F1 again, the issue with his hand means he cant pass the safety test where a driver has to get himself out of the cockpit within a certain time.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1318 on: June 8, 2017, 10:54:16 am »
think he said himself some circuits he wouldnt be able to control the car

i havent seen any data from it

i dont think his hand will ever be strong enough to do what he used to do before

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1319 on: June 8, 2017, 05:17:26 pm »
McLaren get free engines and money on top from honda don't they?