Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 211588 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
2017 Formula 1 Thread
« on: December 20, 2016, 06:15:44 pm »
2017 Formula 1 Thread

2017 Calendar

March 26: Melbourne, Australia

April 9: Shanghai, China

April 16: Bahrain, Bahrain

April 30: Sochi, Russia

May 14: Barcelona, Spain

May 28: Monte Carlo, Monaco

June 11: Montreal, Canada (provisional)

June 25: Baku, Azerbaijan

July 9: Spielberg, Austria

July 16: Silverstone, United Kingdom

July 30: Budapest, Hungary

August 27: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium

September 3: Monza, Italy

September 17: Singapore, Singapore

October 1: Sepang, Malaysia

October 8: Suzuka, Japan

October 22: Austin, USA

October 29: Mexico City, Mexico

November 12: Sao Paolo, Brazil (provisional)

November 26: Abu Dhabi, UAE

2017 Driver line ups (still to be confirmed)

MERCEDES
Race drivers: Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas
Engines: Mercedes

RED BULL
Race drivers: Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen
Engines: Renault

FERRARI
Race drivers: Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen
Engines: Ferrari

FORCE INDIA
Race drivers: Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon

WILLIAMS
Race drivers: Felipe Massa and Lance Stroll

MCLAREN
Race drivers: Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne
Engines: Honda

TORO ROSSO
Race drivers: Carlos Sainz and Daniil Kvyat

HAAS
Race drivers: Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen
Engines: Ferrari

RENAULT
Race drivers: Nico Hulkenberg and Jolyon Palmer

SAUBER
Race drivers: Marcus Ericsson and Pascal Wehrlein
Engines: Ferrari (2016 spec)

MANOR
Race drivers: TBC and TBC

Current Launch dates

February 24: Ferrari, Fiorano
February 24: McLaren-Honda

Winter testing dates

February 27-March 2: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
March 7-10: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona

2017 Rules and regs changes

1. An increase of the width of the front wing to 1,800 mm (70.9 in).
2. Lowering the rear wing by 150 mm (5.9 in) and moving its position back by 200 mm (7.9 in).
3. The leading edge of the barge boards being brought forward to allow teams more freedom in controlling airflow.
4. An increase of the width of the front and rear tyres to allow cars to generate more mechanical grip.
5. The minimum weight of the car including the driver being raised by 20 kg to 722 kg, with teams allowed to use 105 kg of fuel to account for the increase in minimum weight.

The token system used to regulate power unit development—where the power unit was divided into individual areas, and each area assigned a points value with development of these areas deducting points from a manufacturer's overall points quota—will be abandoned.

Restrictions are to be placed on the dimensions, weight and the materials used to build each individual component of the power unit.

Teams are restricted to four power units per season regardless of the number of Grands Prix in the season. Previous seasons had included a provision for a fifth power unit if the number of Grands Prix in a season exceeded twenty; from 2017, this provision is to be abandoned.

The cost of a power unit supply is reduced by €1 million

Cameras will no longer be permitted to be mounted on stalks, located on the nose of the car.

Sporting regulations

Under rules introduced in 2015, grid penalties for exceeding a driver's quota of power unit components carried over from one race to the next if the penalty could not be fully served when issued. When this carry-over system was abandoned, teams could build up a reserve of spare components by introducing several at once while only serving a single grid penalty. From 2017, teams will only be able to use one new component over their quota per race, with any additional components incurring further penalties. This change prevents teams from "stockpiling" spare power unit components.

Power unit suppliers will have an "obligation to supply", mandating that they supply power units to any team, should a team end up without an agreement. The rule was introduced following the breakdown in the relationship between Renault and their customer teams Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso at the end of the 2015 season that left both teams in limbo until deals could be arranged.

In the event that a race is declared wet and must start behind the safety car, the grid will follow normal starting procedures once conditions are declared satisfactory for racing. Drivers will line up on the grid for a standing start once the safety car pulls into pit lane, although any laps completed behind the safety car will count towards the total race distance.

A number of tracks on the 2017 calendar have been instructed by the FIA to make changes to a number of corners in order to prevent any advantage gain during qualifying.

New safety testing

The 'Halo' visor testing will continue into the 2017 season with the aim for possible release in 2018

Misc rule changes

Drivers will be allowed to change the livery on their helmets for 1 race a season (for example for home country races or as tribute). Drivers that change teams mid season will be allowed to change livery.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:46:21 pm by gazzalfc »

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 06:39:51 pm »
symonds has left williams, so it definitely looks like lowe is going there.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 06:57:01 pm »
Why is Montreal provisional, is something up with the circuit?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 11:03:49 pm »
Talk of massa going to Williams

Bottas to merc
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 11:10:11 pm »
That token idea was ridiculous IMO. Was so frustrating when McLaren started using Honda engines again but they could do practically nothing with the engine for the first year.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 11:44:46 pm »
Why is Montreal provisional, is something up with the circuit?

They were struggling to get Ecclestone his pound of flesh to host the race, but I believe that's been resolved and it's going ahead now.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 11:53:05 pm »
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 08:39:13 am »
??
not seen the news?

Talk is he will be back for one year because Williams main sponsor is Martini

you see if bottas leaves it doesnt look good for sponsors if Williams are sponsored by Martini and have 2 drivers under 25

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10703494/terms-agreed-for-felipe-massas-return-to-williams-say-sky-sources

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 04:34:56 pm »
I also heard in Stroll's contract he has to have an experienced driver as a teammate to learn from and help settle in. Putting a Wehrlein in that seat messes that up.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 12:03:17 pm »
I'm hoping there might be one or two on here who've been to more races (anywhere) than my 2006 and 2009 Silverstone visits...

When you buy a weekend ticket, is it always the case that it's a specific seat/location for the race but general admission for the Friday and Saturday?  When I've been to the British GP, I've always chosen to be near the grid on the race day but ventured to some more interesting parts of the circuit for practice and qualifying.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 01:33:15 pm »
I'm hoping there might be one or two on here who've been to more races (anywhere) than my 2006 and 2009 Silverstone visits...

When you buy a weekend ticket, is it always the case that it's a specific seat/location for the race but general admission for the Friday and Saturday?  When I've been to the British GP, I've always chosen to be near the grid on the race day but ventured to some more interesting parts of the circuit for practice and qualifying.

When I went to Barcelona it was sit anywhere on the Friday and Saturday but on Sunday you could only go in the grandstand if you had tickets.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 6, 2017, 01:46:46 pm »
The second they lost their position in the championship to Sauber I knew something like this could happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38530855

Manor Racing enter administration and are on brink of collapse

Manor Racing have gone into administration and will collapse without new investment.

Staff were informed of the development on Friday by chief executive officer Thomas Mayer, a source told BBC Sport.

Administrators FRP said there was "a very limited window of opportunity" to save the team before the start of the 2017 season in Australia on 26 March.

FRP said it was "assessing options" and that the process affected Manor's operating company Just Racing Services.

Manor Grand Prix Racing, which owns the rights to the team's participation in F1, is not in administration.

Team owner Stephen Fitzpatrick was unavailable for comment.

Manor, who finished 11th and last in the championship last season, have been in talks with new investors but so far no deal has been concluded.

Administrator Geoff Rowley said: "The team has made significant progress since the start of 2015, but the position remains that operating a F1 team requires significant ongoing investment.

"The senior management team has worked tirelessly to bring new investment, but regrettably has been unable to do so within the time available.

"Therefore, they have been left with no alternative but to place [Manor Racing] into administration."

A source said several buyers had been lined up over the past few weeks and two had gone as far as conducting a due diligence process.

But none of them provided the funds necessary to buy the team, nor was there any proof they had the money to run it.

Fitzpatrick, the boss of the energy company Ovo, decided to put the team into administration on Thursday night.

Previous blows

FRP were also appointed the last time the team were in administration over the winter of 2014/15, after they collapsed with debts of £35m.

At the time, they were known as Marussia, and were reconstituted under their original name of Manor when Fitzpatrick bought them at the 11th hour just before the 2015 season.

Manor, who are based in Banbury in Oxfordshire, suffered a blow at the end of last season when Sauber moved ahead of them into 10th place in the constructors' championship thanks to the ninth place achieved by Felipe Nasr at the penultimate race of the year in Brazil.

That cost Manor in the region of £10m in prize money - income they needed to survive into the new season - and the loss of it has made potential drivers and their backers reluctant to commit funds to the team, sources said.

Fitzpatrick said at the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi that the loss of income was "not a deal-breaker" in the talks he was having with new investors.

But there had been no further news from the team until Friday's development.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 6, 2017, 02:20:03 pm »
dammit

i hate hearing of any team being in trouble like that

id imagine sauber could have been in big trouble if they hadnt have got that 9th place. id hate to see them go given they are in formula 1 over 20 years

hopefully manor can keep going.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2017, 02:47:42 pm »
Sauber's just had a new batch of investment before Nasr finished 9th I think so I doubt they'd have been as close to administration as Manor find themselves in.  It's just so crap, I remember cars failing to pre-qualify, never mind qualify.  You'd never get that these days.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 6, 2017, 03:02:03 pm »
Sauber's just had a new batch of investment before Nasr finished 9th I think so I doubt they'd have been as close to administration as Manor find themselves in.  It's just so crap, I remember cars failing to pre-qualify, never mind qualify.  You'd never get that these days.
39 cars competed in 1989

13 cars would be in pre qualifying going for 4 spots

the 4 top drivers would go through to compete with 26 other drivers for 26 grid slots

i have often though of writing up what happened to those teams. ill do it if there is enough interest here

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 6, 2017, 03:30:52 pm »
39 cars competed in 1989

13 cars would be in pre qualifying going for 4 spots

the 4 top drivers would go through to compete with 26 other drivers for 26 grid slots

i have often though of writing up what happened to those teams. ill do it if there is enough interest here
A la F1Rejects?  Loved that site!
My Twitter

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 6, 2017, 03:38:59 pm »
A la F1Rejects?  Loved that site!
something along them lines

and yes that was an absolutely brilliant site

some phenomenal research and intelligence

one of my favourite moments was in 2001. they seemingly were giving fisichella dogs abuse most of the year then he finished an outstanding 3rd in a shitheap benetton at spa. the reject of the race award afterwards they actually gave to themselves

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2017, 03:45:39 pm »
F1 rejects was a brilliant site.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2017, 03:54:19 pm »
i think i might just do this to pass time anyway

our systems are down in work anyway

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #19 on: January 7, 2017, 07:25:59 pm »
They're back as GP Rejects - new podcast too: https://www.spreaker.com/show/the-rejects-podcast

Anyway, I know F1 is meant to be a dog eat dog world, but in the current state it's unacceptable that the sport loses Manor. We're not talking an 80s/90s no-hoper, we're talking a solid, respected, well-engineered team who can provide F1 entries for good drivers.

The distribution of money needs to change drastically.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 11:15:37 am »
Paddy Lowe has left Mercedes

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 11:24:42 am »
Paddy Lowe has left Mercedes
no surprise. he is going to williams

obviously means bottas goes the other way and massa is wheeled out for another year

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 11:59:45 am »
The 1989 formula 1 season was a year with an absolutely huge field. It was a different time and era, though that year it was known that formula 1 was changing. The 1.5 litre turbo charged v6 engines were gone, replaced by 3.5 litre engines across the board in a variety of formats from V8, V10 or V12, the v12s were seen to be the most powerful but used more fuel and like now there was no refuelling. There was some new and old faces, there were returns to formula 1 for the likes of designer Mario Forghieri who designed a new Lamborghini engine for the Larrousse team.
Pirelli made a return as a tyre supplier with 7 teams running on the Italian rubber, Brabham returned after an absence in 1988 as did their new driver Martin Brundle, fresh from winning the world sports car championship. Renault also made their return as an engine supplier and would power Williams, the beginning of a hugely successful partnership.

There were no fewer than 20 teams competing in 1989, a total of 39 drivers as the Eurobrun team elected to run just one car as some did around that era to save money, The Coloni and Osella (aka Fondmetal) teams would often do the same although both teams ran two car operations for 1989.
However 39 cars starting a race would cause chaos, and with so many cars, there was some bound to be some slow coaches, it was an era which saw some pretty poor entries at times, with that a pre qualifying system was set up to eliminate some not so fast cars.

On Friday morning 13 cars would compete for 4 spots. Some cars and drivers were too good for pre qualifying, therefore 26 cars received a bye. The 26 were decided by results achieved in the previous season. New teams and teams that didn’t make the cut would compete for the 4 slots available but should they advance they would then go through qualifying proper, the other 26 cars would join the 4 pre qualifiers to make 30.

The 30 cars would then compete for the 26 slots by virtue of times in qualifying, aside from practice sessions, in short the timetable was along the lines of:
Friday morning early AM: 13 cars attempt to pre qualify, 4 fastest advance to qualifying. 9 cars and drivers would bow out and their weekend was over.
Friday am/afternoon: first qualifying session, 60 minutes to set a fast lap to make the grid. The 4 fastest pre qualifiers would join a further 26 cars to compete for 26 slots on the grid for Sunday.

Saturday afternoon: a further 60 minute qualifying session to determine the final grid slots (with the same 30 cars from Friday), the best time a driver set over the two days would determine grid positions. A further 4 cars would be cut and therefore not race on Sunday, leaving a grid of 26.
By mid-season it was often obvious if some teams were too good for pre-qualifying or if a team given a pass wasn’t really deserving of skipping the dreaded pre-qualifying, mid-way through the season the results were weighed up and the best teams with the best results on countback would not have to pre-qualify. Anyone else would! I hope you followed all that.

The numbers, teams, drivers, tyres (goodyear tyres unless stated) and engines that competed:

McLaren dominated the season using honda v10 engines, Ayrton Senna the defending world champion was joined by former world champion Alain Prost.

Tyrrell used Ford V8 Engines, Jonathan Palmer (father of Jolyon) partnered Michele Alboreto who later in the season gave way to first Jean Alesi and later, Johnny Herbert.

Williams used Renault v10 engines for drivers Thierry Boutsen and Ricciardo Patrese.

Brabham returned to Formula 1 after failing to get an engine deal in 1988, the team used Judd v8 engines and were one of the teams using Pirelli tyres. The drivers were Martin Brundle and Stefano Modena.

Arrows with designer Ross Brawn retained the line up of Derek Warwick and Eddie Cheever (although Martin Donnelly did drive in one race when Warwick was injured). The team used Ford v8 engines.

Lotus lost their honda engine and had to make do with Judd v8s for triple world champion Nelson Piquet and Satoru Nakajima, both of whom had sons who drove in Formula 1 in later years.

March had a promising 1988 and continued with Judd v8s and the driver line up of Mauricio Gugelmin and Ivan Capelli.

Osella continued to struggle, another Pirelli runner using Ford v8s with Nicola Larini partnering Piercarlo Ghinzani.

The promising Benetton outfit retained Ford v8 engines (the works version with everyone else having a more dated version) and also kept hold of the talented Alessandro Nannini. Johnny Herbert started the season in the other car but injuries meant he couldn’t compete at 100% so Emanuele Pirro took over for the last 10 races.

Scuderia Italia were better known as Dallara as the Dallara company built their cars, they were another user of Pirelli tyres and Ford v8 engines and their drivers were the Italian duo of Alex Caffi and Andrea De Cesaris.

Everyone’s favourite backmarker Minardi also used Pirellis and Ford v8s, Pierluigi Martini and Luis Perez Sala were the drivers although Paulo Barilla did drive in one race when Martini was injured.

Ligier using their 4th engine in 4 years were another Ford engine user with the all French line up of 41 year old Rene Arnoux and Oliver Grouillard.
Ferrari using their own v12 engines had an exciting driver line up of Nigel Mansell and Gerhard Berger.

The Larrousse team used the new Lamborghini v12 engine, Yannick Dalmas started the season in the first car although Eric Bernard and Michele Alboreto later drove that car while the other car contained Frenchman Phillippe Alliot who did the whole season.

The underfunded Coloni team used Pirelli tyres and Ford engines, Roberto Moreno was in the first car all season initially partnered by Pierre Henri Raphanel although Enrico Bertaggia replaced him after round 10.

Eurobrun used Pirelli tyres and Judd v8s, but opted to run just one car all season, Gregor Foitek drove the hopeless device for 11 rounds but was then replaced by Oscar Larrauri.

Zakspeed barely raced all season, powered by a gutless v8 Yamaha engine and on Pirelli tyres, the unfortunate drivers were Bernd Schneider and Aguri Suzuki.

Onyx were new to formula 1, the ford engined cars were piloted by Stefan Johansson and Bertrand Gachot, JJ Lehto replaced Gachot for the last 4 races.
Backmarkers Rial used 5 drivers during the season. Christian Danner and Volker Weidler raced together for 10 rounds, Weidler was replaced by Pierre Henri Raphanel for the final 6 rounds while Foitek replaced Danner for one race. In the final two rounds of the season Bertrand Gachot took over. They were another ford user.

AGS were the last team, another ford user who were dealt a tragic blow on the eve of the season as driver Philippe Strieff was paralysed in testing, Gabriele Tarquini replaced him for the season, the other car was initially driven by Joachim Winkelhock but Yannick Dalmas took over from round 8 on.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 12:01:39 pm »
Part 2

The season was an interesting one, without going into a detailed review of every race:

Brazil: Nigel Mansell scored a surprise win for Ferrari on his debut, such was the worry about the cars reliability he famously had an early flight booked home. Alain Prost was second ahead of Mauricio Gugelmin’s March although it would be their only points all season. Johnny Herbert was also an impressive 4th on his debut for Benetton.

San Marino: A race famous for Gerhard Berger’s horrifying crash and Ayrton Senna winning despite a pre race agreement with Alain Prost that they should not overtake past turn 1, something Senna didn’t stick too. Senna won from Prost with Nannini 3rd in the Benetton.

Monaco: Senna takes another win ahead of Prost with Stefano Modena a brilliant 3rd for Brabham, team mate Martin Brundle has been running 3rd but a battery problem drops him to 6th. Alex Caffi is an impressive 4th for Dallara ahead of Michele Alboreto’s Tyrrell. Alboreto had actually gone on strike in practice when the one available new chassis was given to his team mate.

Mexico: Senna makes it 3 in a row with Patrese’s Williams 2nd and Alboreto a fine 3rd. Gabriele Tarquini scores a point for the tiny AGS team, a boost for the team after losing a potentially huge result in Monaco when Tarquini ran as high as 4th.

USA: Prost ends Senna’s winning streak after the latter retires with electrical problems. Patrese is second ahead of Eddie Cheever’s Arrows in his home grand prix. Christian Danner is a staggering 4th for the Rial team while a late engine problem robs Tarquini of a point. The brave Johnny Herbert finished 5th despite suffering from injury in a two hour race with blistering hot conditions. Prost takes over the lead of the championship.

Canada: Boutsen leads home a Williams 1-2 after Senna retires late on, Renaults first win since their return. Andrea De Cesaris is a brilliant 3rd for Dallara one race after he shunted his team mate off the track out of a potential podium. Caffi’s 6th gives Dallara a double points finish. Nelson Piquet in 4th and Rene Arnoux in 5th get their first points. Osella are robbed of a sensational podium for Nicola Larini while Derek Warwick looked a potential winner until an engine problem.

France: Prost wins his home grand prix ahead of Mansell, Patrese scores another podium for 3rd while Jean Alesi is a brilliant 4th on his debut for Tyrrell replacing Alboreto. Stefan Johansson scores the first points for the Onyx team in 5th with Olivier Groulliard 6th, his only ever point in f1 in the Ligier. Race is famous for a huge accident at the start which saw Gugelmin barrel roll the March.

Britain: Prost wins again with Mansell 2nd after a puncture, Nannini is 3rd ahead of Piquet’s Lotus while the Minardi duo of Martini and Sala are a superb 5th and 6th. Prost leads the championship by 20 points.

Germany: Senna returns to the top step followed by Prost and Mansell. Patrese, Piquet and Warwick round out the points.

Hungary: Mansell scores a superb win from 12th on the grid on a track known for a lack of overtaking. Senna is second with Boutsen third, Prost is 4th passing Cheever’s Arrows on the last lap with Piquet 6th.

Belgium: Senna wins in a torrential downpour ahead of Prost who spent the whole race fending off Mansell. Boutsen is 4th in his home race ahead of Nannini . Warwick continues Arrows good form finishing 6th. Prost is 11 points ahead of Senna and a further 13 ahead of Mansell.

Italy: Prost wins ahead of Berger’s Ferrari who scores his first points of the season in an unreliable Ferrari. Boutsen and Patrese and third and fourth for Williams with Alesi 5th and Brundle’s Brabham is 6th. Prost is again 20 points clear.

Portugal: Berger takes the flag for Ferrari with Prost 2nd, Johansson is a sensational 3rd in the Onyx. Nannini is 4th with Martini’s Minardi 5th and Palmer’s Tyrrell 6th. Famously Martini lead the race for one lap, the only time a Minardi lead a race. Nigel Mansell is disqualified but continuing to race around he collides with Senna. Mansell is banned for a race. Senna is now 26 points off the lead.

Spain: Senna wins ahead of Berger with Prost 3rd. Alesi is a fine 4th for Tyrrell ahead of Patrese. Phillippe alliot performs brilliantly to qualify 5th and finish 6th for Larrousse. His team mate Michele Alboreto didn’t even pre qualify.

Japan: Prost is crowned world champion but only after a controversial collision with Ayrton Senna, Senna managed to get going again but was later infamously disqualified. Nannini takes his only career win in the Benetton ahead of Patrese and Boutsen in the Williams cars. Piquet is a fine 4th ahead of Brundle 5th and Warwick 6th.

Australia: Boutsen wins in a torrential downpour. Nannini and Patrese join him again on the podium finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively. Satoru Nakajima is a brilliant 4th for Lotus with fastest lap despite an early spin dropping him to 24th. Emanuele Pirro scores his first points with 5th for Benetton and Martini’s Minardi is 6th. The conditions were so bad that Alain Prost refused to start.

Prost won the title, only the best 11 results counted as per the rules, but either way Prost was champion ahead of Senna with Patrese 3rd despite not winning a race but a consistent points and podium visitor. Williams’ consistency saw them 2nd in the constructors ahead of a faster Ferrari who were hurt by reliability issues.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 12:03:11 pm »
and 3

So what happened the class of 89.

McLaren: they use Honda engines now, just like then although a 20 year association with Mercedes accounted for much of the in between years. McLaren won the next two drivers and constructors titles with Ayrton Senna but have won just one constructors title since 1991. Mika Hakkinen (2) and Lewis Hamilton did win drivers titles in a McLaren.

Tyrrell: A historic team who at times showed much promise but financial trouble finally saw them sell up. The team were known as BAR (British American Racing) between 1999 and 2005. Honda purchased the team outright in 2006 before a last minute deal saw Ross Brawn buy the team in 2009 leading to a sensational constructors/drivers title double for Brawn and Jenson button. Mercedes bought them team in 2010 and courtesy of Lewis Hamilton and Nico
Rosberg they have won the last 3 drivers and constructors titles.

Williams: another historic team who lost their way when Renault ended a long association in 1997 which by then had won 4 drivers world titles and 5 constructors titles. Williams haven’t won a title since despite a promising partnership with BMW, their withdrawal in 2005 lead to several lean years but in 2014 a new partnership with Mercedes saw Williams become more competitive and included two top 3 constructors finishes.

Brabham: the team returned in 1989 following a year out but despite looking promising at times (in particularly 1991) the teams money problems wrecked any chance of progress. Shortly after giving a debut to future world champion Damon Hill, Brabham left Formula 1 mid way through the 1992 season less than a decade after Nelson Piquet won a drivers world title in the car.

Arrows: constant engine and driver line up changes and several false dawns meant Arrows would never win a race between 1978 and 2002 spanning over 300 races. The team caused a stir in 1997 when they signed world champion Damon Hill, the year was poor although mysteriously the car ran very well in Hungary where a gearbox problem robbed Hill of a win on the last lap. Despite scoring 2 points in 2002 the team were forced to pull out of f1 mid season due to financial problems.

Lotus: despite having a triple world champion on board it was a poor season for Lotus. The team soon lost sponsors and despite promising results in 1992 and 1993 from Mika Hakkinen and Johnny Herbert the team pulled out of formula 1 at the end of 1994. The lotus name returned to the grid in 2010 with a car and team better known as Caterham. They stopped using the lotus name in 2011. Confusingly a second lotus team also appeared having bought out Renault (aka Benetton). It was largely seen as the continuation of the once great marquee. Kimi Raikkonen won races but financial problems saw Renault re-purchase the team in 2015 and the lotus name left formula 1 again.

March: a poor 1989 was followed by a buyout from chief Sponsor Leyton house ahead of 1990, Ivan Capelli came close to a sensational win in France in 1990 but thereafter the team never really rose above midfield. At the end of 1991 the team was rocked when owner Akira Akagi was arrested in connection with fraud. In an attempt to distance itself from this the team became March again with the Leyton house branding gone. In 1992 the team struggled to stay afloat despite a brilliant 4th for Karl Wendlinger in Canada. The team initially intended to continue into 1993 but with no money or cars March were forced out of formula 1.

Osella scaled back to a one car operation in 1990 without any success. Chief sponsor Fondmetal took over the team from 1991 on. Despite some promise and a very attractive looking car results didn’t materialize. The team ambitiously went back to having a 2 car team in 1992 and although performances improved the team folded shortly before the end of the season.

Benetton showed a lot of promise in the early 90s culminating in 2 drivers titles for Michael Schumacher and a constructors crown in 1995. The departure of Schumacher greatly hurt the team and in 2002 the team was bought out by Renault and ran under that name until 2010. The highlights were a constructors and drivers double in 2005 and 2006 for Fernando Alonso. In 2011 the team became known as Lotus following another buyout. Kimi Raikkonen made a successful return to f1 winning 1 race in both 2012 and 2013. Money trouble saw performances gradually slide and the team looked set to close only for Renault to re-purchase the team ahead of the 2016 season. The team still operates.

Dallara (aka scuderia Italia) had a promising 1989 but wouldn’t score points in 1990. In 1991 a new judd engine deal saw some improvement including a 3rd place for JJ Lehto in san marino. A switch to Ferrari engines in 1992 though didn’t work out and the scuderia italia (teams official name) instead made a terrible move to use Lola chassis for 1993 and bin Dallara. It was the worst car in the field and by the end of the season the team merged with…..

Minardi. Everyones second favorite team if they weren’t already your favorite. The little Italian team always struggled for money, despite occasional promise (including a Ferrari deal in 1991) the team had to make do with occasional points finishes which became more rare as the 90s concluded. The team somehow staggered on until 2005 when Red bull bought the team out and ran it as a junior team to the Red bull team. The team is now known as
Toro Rosso and continues Minardi tradition in using young and upcoming drivers. The teams day of days came in Monza 2008 when Sebastien Vettel pulled off an improbable win.

Ligier regularly disappointed despite a massive budget, some good drivers and engine deals. Things improved in the early 90s as the team became regular points scorers. Oliver Panis scored the teams first win in 15 years winning the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix. The following year Alain prost purchased the team and named them after himself. Things were looking very promising in the first half of the season with Panis 3rd in the championship. A broken leg suffered in Canada wrecked the season but the team hoped for a bright future when they secured a 3 year engine deal with Peugeot. However the engine was not good and the teams performances nosedived. The team were in dire financial straits in 2001 although Jean Alesi managed 3 points finishes. Sponsorship was noticeably dwindling however and the team finally paid the price for decades of underachievement when they folded just before the 2002 season.

Ferrari continue in f1 and had several near misses before securing the 1999 constructors title. The following year they won that title again along with a drivers championship for Michael Schumacher. Between 2000 and 2004 Ferrari and Schumacher dominated the sport winning every title. Kimi Raikkonen won the drivers title in 2007 with the team also taking the constructors title, they would win the latter again in 2008 but haven’t won a title since. The team had several near misses for the drivers title with Fernando Alonso and most notably in 2008 with Felipe Massa. In 2017 Ferrari continue as the biggest name in the sport hoping to get in the title mix again having failed to win a race in 2016.

Larrousse had a very impressive 1990 finishing 6th in the constructors championship, Aguri Suzuki was a superb 3rd in Japan to boot. In 1991 the loss of sponsors, their Lamborghini engine and money following a registration issue (the team used Lola chassis but didn’t refer to this officially even though it was well known anyway) hurt the team. A partnership with Venturi and the return of Lamborghini engines resulted in just one point in 1992 and 3 points in 1993. For 1994 Lamborghini left the team again and despite scoring 2 points the team struggled all season to survive with no fewer than 6 drivers appearing in the car. The team hoped to continue in 1995 but having skipped the first 2 races the team finally admitted defeat before round 3 in San Marino and pulled out of the sport.

Monaco 1989 was the only race where 2 Coloni Cars started. For 1990 the team scaled back to a one car operation but the season was ruined with a disastrous alliance with Subaru which resulted in a very overweight and slow car. Subaru’s withdrawal though changed nothing as the cash strapped uncompetitive team never qualified for one race in 1990 or 1991. The following year the team was purchased by Andrea Sassetti and renamed Andrea Moda and went back to a 2 car team. The whole episode was a farce, although they got one car into the Monaco race the team was so incompetent that they were barred from entering the Italian Grand prix and thrown out of the sport. No one was sorry to see them go.

Eurobrun didn’t qualify for any race in 1989, the team ambitiously went back to a 2 car team in 1990. Roberto Moreno qualified for two races but 2 races before the end of the season the team folded. The teams withdrawal freed up Moreno to join Benetton (replacing the injured Nannini) and in his first race he finished 2nd. In pulling out of the sport Moreno was freed up to take the seat leading f1rejects to describe this as the first time Eurobrun had actually done something right.

Zakspeed had a terrible 1989 with Bernd Schneider qualifying just twice and Aguri Suzuki failing to pre qualify for every race. Despite undergoing some winter testing the team folded before the 1990 season. The team attempted to rejoin the series in the late 1990s but without success.

Onyx were new to f1 in 1989 and looked very promising. Despite many failures to qualify the team had much to cheer about with Stefan Johansson 5th in France and a superb 3rd in Portugal. The team was then taken over by Swiss car manufacturer Peter Monteverdi with Johansson controversially dumped. In the middle of 1990 the team was renamed Monteverdi but amid much personnel changes the team turned farcical including one incident where the differential was in JJ Lehto’s car the wrong way around. Shortly after the mid-way point of the 1990 season the team withdrew from the sport.

Rial only joined the sport in 1988, things looked good initially but in 1989 the car was barely updated and apart from a fluke 4th for Danner in America there was little to shout about. The car hardly qualified for a race again and the team folded after the season ended.

AGS started 1989 well despite the devastating injury to Phillippe Streiff, points were scored in Mexico but America and in particular Monaco (where Tarquini ran as high as 4th) should have resulted in more. Finances greatly hurt the team and they scored no points in 1990. In 1991 they continued to struggle on, a takeover of the team changed little apart from the colour of the car and despite a new car being finally built there was no improvement and two races before the end of 1991 AGS folded although the company did continue to run a hugely successful driving school in France. 

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 11:48:00 am »
The administrators of Manor racing will pay their staff until the end of January in order to find a new buyer

They are currently doing due diligence on a number of investors in the hope of saving the team

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 11:48:42 am »
Good reads them Hellrazor. Before my time watching F1 so all new to me  ;D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 02:44:26 pm »
Bottas to Mercedes confirmed
Massa return to Williams also confirmed
Wehrlein joins Sauber

McLaren announce their car launch for 24th Feb

Updated the original post accordingly
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:47:37 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 02:53:38 pm »
The move has also included Toto Wolff cutting his ties to Bottas' management team to prevent any conflict of interest within the team

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 03:23:58 pm »
Any mention on the length of contract Bottas has signed?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 04:07:16 pm »
Good reads them Hellrazor. Before my time watching F1 so all new to me  ;D
cheers

good move for bottas

not sure of the contract length

wonder how massa feels about coming back. i guess strongly enough

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 04:09:29 pm »

Undisclosed

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 06:24:38 pm »

BBC say 1 year, with an option for more.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 11:57:15 am »
Rosberg being kept on by Mercedes in an ambassadorial role.

Money on a mid season come back if Bottas doesn't work out?

1 year contract doesn't show much faith

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 11:58:57 am »
1 year deal is the sensible move for Merc given it'll allow them to see if Bottas can step up to this level, and with a number of decent drivers being available next winter will give them more options.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 11:50:17 am »
The administrators of Manor racing will pay their staff until the end of January in order to find a new buyer

They are currently doing due diligence on a number of investors in the hope of saving the team

Really do hope this scenario gets involved.

Surely Nasr comes with backing (wasn't that why he was rumoured to be in the running for the Williams drive a few months back) that could help the team?  Do I correctly recall that Haryanto's backing was withdrawn, which led to him losing his seat mid-season?

The team - in it's various guises - have done well to run seven seasons, and took real steps forward in the last few years.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 10:34:32 pm »
Rumours sauber will use Honda engines in 2018

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 08:41:24 pm »
Bye bye Bernie

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 08:50:51 pm »
Going to be interesting to see what Liberty change. Reading some of the rumoured plans there seems to be a mix of very good and very bad ideas!!

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 08:51:59 pm »
he'll be bored to death. possibly quite literally.