Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 3423278 times)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Re: General Manchester City thread
« Reply #16160 on: May 29, 2017, 11:00:22 am »
The only thing I know about Ederson is he was incredible against Dortmund in the CL this season.

Hahaha. The first thing that came to mind when I heard his name mentioned. Also the only thing I know of him.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16161 on: May 29, 2017, 11:03:07 am »
According to their fans on social media, we're just jealous. We also can't complain as we spent £35m on Andy Carroll in the past (like that's even relevant). Someone even made the argument that City aren't a plastic club as they were founded before us. Priceless stuff.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #16162 on: May 29, 2017, 11:06:48 am »
Sanchez isn't needed surely.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16163 on: May 29, 2017, 11:33:33 am »
lets face it, the only way pep is gonna get close to the title is to buy the best players in the world because the guy is a managerial genius.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16164 on: May 29, 2017, 11:49:36 am »
I wouldn't want Guardiola anywhere near us on a full time basis, going by what we've seen.
 He's the perfect consultant, you pay him for his ideas, archive that info, adapt it into your work, use as necessary. As a manager, it's clear he's only got one way of playing, doesn't have much of a recruitment setup, and as a leader, he strikes me as a pure coach.

His fantastic ideas, methods for possession, attacking football is enough to override everything else if you give him the best dribblers, possession players in the world, but that's not exactly  a universally transferable skillset is it. The majority of footballers don't have the technique to translate his ideas so that you end up winners rather than in the pack below.

Allardyce > pep as a manager. (Uh oh, incoming fanboy strike) Pep could sweep everything next season and it still wouldn't change anything, football coaching isn't just about catering to and using the elite 5 percent for you to compete.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #16165 on: May 29, 2017, 12:00:20 pm »
lets face it, the only way pep is gonna get close to the title is to buy the best players in the world because the guy is a managerial genius.

Buying the best players in the world guarantees you nothing though, especially in this league where other clubs have crazy amounts of money to spend as well. City just seem to have a crazy desire to buy up everyone, and you wonder if there is even a plan behind it. If he gets all of these players how is he even going to keep everyone happy? It is just a depressing insight on the relentless spend, spend, spend mentality that is dominating the top end of football.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16166 on: May 29, 2017, 12:13:48 pm »
What Chelsea and city do, it's a fantastic opportunity for clubs that are not considered rivals. They are so free in splashing the cash about that year after year opportunistic clubs have plenty of choices of who to target from them - mangala who was bought for near 40million could be going for half that, a top prospect like iheanacho is available, delph, Tammy Abraham available on loan, batshusyi, Izzy brown, ake, a few more. A good number could end up signing permanently after the loan as the two plastics hunger after the next big thing. It's a great opportunity, as long as the 2nd tier club can find an agreement on wages.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16167 on: May 29, 2017, 12:21:04 pm »
Chapter 9 in inventing football. Buy everyone.

But he's an exceptional coach.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16168 on: May 29, 2017, 12:33:23 pm »
He invented football mate, wrote the book on it.
If you go to chapter 9 it says
"If you win fuck all because you don't have Messi and you don't operate in a one team league, buy everyone "

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16169 on: May 29, 2017, 12:34:46 pm »
It should be a laugh seeing Sky waxing lyrical next season about this fantastic team built (not bought) by Pep as they lash another  bunch of relative paupers 5-0 ... oh, and i forgot, the strength of the EPL, the best league in the world etc etc etc. ..  Here's hoping they screw it up somehow. I don't know, it feels a bit gaudy and embarrassing to me ... but then that's the Manchester way isn't it.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #16170 on: May 29, 2017, 12:37:05 pm »
Will chuckle if he does a Taibi :D

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16171 on: May 29, 2017, 12:46:42 pm »
I hope the top 3 next season is us, Spurs and Arsenal.

These plastic, rich man's clubs, can f*ck right off!

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #16172 on: May 29, 2017, 12:56:07 pm »
I honestly think the fans will turn on him, and make it very difficult, there seem to be plenty who aren't exactly enamoured with him as it is, spoilt entitled aholes that the City fans have become.

But honestly, even thought it's not ever a sure bet, if he gets all these players in, then he will likely win, they'll just score a shit ton of goals, which they where doing at times as it was, but with Jesus available for a full season, even more attacking depth likely, not having to rely on Toure, Gundogan back, an agile not aged defence, and a goalie who can stop shots, they wont' even need Guardiola to lead 'em to some pots  :D

What fans?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16173 on: May 29, 2017, 01:00:17 pm »
I mean it's been reported that we are prepared to splash £50mil+ on multiple players

That's just where football is at right now. Arsenal fans be made up if they did it, which they should. And so would we if it proved successful.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #16174 on: May 29, 2017, 01:07:26 pm »
Why wou;ld people be made up by it? I guess this is what I don't get. I hate this part of football, what clubs like City, Chelsea and PSG are adding to the sport is shit.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16175 on: May 29, 2017, 01:09:23 pm »
Why wou;ld people be made up by it? I guess this is what I don't get. I hate this part of football, what clubs like City, Chelsea and PSG are adding to the sport is shit.

We outspend 99% of clubs in europe, let's not pretend our shit doesn't stink.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16176 on: May 29, 2017, 01:14:32 pm »

Because money = success, and every fan wants success.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #16177 on: May 29, 2017, 01:15:58 pm »
Yes, Man City are playing a dangerous game.

Thankfully FFP is working to it's fullest and preventing oil teams from gaining significant advantages via spending above their means, isn't that so Mac red?

That Guardiola's such a genius isn't he? Lobbing money at everything

Nah. His true genius needs at least half a billion spent before we we truly see it. Poor fella is haven't to work far below his means thus far.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #16178 on: May 29, 2017, 01:19:00 pm »
Because money = success, and every fan wants success.

I guess I must be wierd then, cos getting it like this does nothing for me. 

We outspend 99% of clubs in europe, let's not pretend our shit doesn't stink.

You know I wasn't saying Liverpool are paupers.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16179 on: May 29, 2017, 01:25:49 pm »
I guess I must be wierd then, cos getting it like this does nothing for me. 

You know I wasn't saying Liverpool are paupers.

Of course, but i find the faux outrage that is common on this forum and others laughable. We are the ninth richest club in the world and spend millions every summer. We are part of the "problem".

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16180 on: May 29, 2017, 01:31:07 pm »
I don't know if they're adding a great deal though. We won't be spending that much because they are particularly, we'd be spending that much because we can

These owners that come in are only a symptom of the ridiculous amount of money that's already in footy. I mean the top 5 highest transfers are still United, Real Madrid, Juventus and Barca after all...

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16181 on: May 29, 2017, 01:40:06 pm »
I hope the top 3 next season is us, Spurs and Arsenal.

These plastic, rich man's clubs, can f*ck right off!

1. Liverpool
2. Spurs
3. Arsenal
4. Leicester
5. Man City
6. Chelsea
7. United

I'll take that. Not like it's gonna happen though ;D you'd probably get odds of 5000/1 for that.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16182 on: May 29, 2017, 01:42:11 pm »
Anyone who expresses any 'outrage' over City's spending, would criticse us spending close to 100M on Van Dijk and Keita as well then ?

They spend because they can. Simple as. Its why we've expanded our stadium, go to the other side of the world after a gruelling season just to play a meaningless friendly and are discussing naming rights to our stadium. We have to compete with these clubs and the way we do it would be much more satisfying as we wouldn't be spending a sheikh or russian oligarch's money, but our own. Spending big, while being self sustainable. And make no mistake, we will be spending huge money. So if you guys see it as a problem, we are a part of it. Stop being self righteous over something we are doing ourselves.

As for Pep, again, money isn't a guarantee for success, as Maureen's marauders just proved. He has to play them in a system, with players who fit the setup. The amount of money spent is no different to what other top managers (including Klopp) will be doing. Why should he deprive himself of the oppotunity to sign the very best, just to show up meaningless criticism like "he can't do it without spending big". Absolute rubbish. He is one of the great managers in the world because of his football. He entertains.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16183 on: May 29, 2017, 01:44:02 pm »
Sanchez isn't needed surely.
He'd become their best player. Sanchez has actually grown into a better player at Arsenal than he was at Barca.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16184 on: May 29, 2017, 01:47:23 pm »
Do you know Oblak... exactly right? and before he arrive to Atletic Madrid did you knew him?

This guy, Ederson was his substitute and is as good as him and also existed in Portugal before get to be known outside.

Oblak had more of a reputation than Ederson has, thats coming from a very casual watcher of Portugese football.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16185 on: May 29, 2017, 01:56:45 pm »
Oblak had more of a reputation than Ederson has, thats coming from a very casual watcher of Portugese football.

Yet your post is to a Benfica supporter.  ;D

I think he knows about the league and players better than you do.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:58:30 pm by Samie »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #16186 on: May 29, 2017, 01:57:43 pm »
Anyone who expresses any 'outrage' over City's spending, would criticse us spending close to 100M on Van Dijk and Keita as well then ?

They spend because they can. Simple as. Its why we've expanded our stadium, go to the other side of the world after a gruelling season just to play a meaningless friendly and are discussing naming rights to our stadium. We have to compete with these clubs and the way we do it would be much more satisfying as we wouldn't be spending a sheikh or russian oligarch's money, but our own. Spending big, while being self sustainable. And make no mistake, we will be spending huge money. So if you guys see it as a problem, we are a part of it. Stop being self righteous over something we are doing ourselves.

As for Pep, again, money isn't a guarantee for success, as Maureen's marauders just proved. He has to play them in a system, with players who fit the setup. The amount of money spent is no different to what other top managers (including Klopp) will be doing. Why should he deprive himself of the oppotunity to sign the very best, just to show up meaningless criticism like "he can't do it without spending big". Absolute rubbish. He is one of the great managers in the world because of his football. He entertains.

It becomes a problem when City spend their time loading their academy and tempting young players away from other clubs, and then go and spend a shit load of cash on other young players, who will block any chance those other players have of making it. It is all about stopping other clubs from getting good players, it stinks.

I don't doubt we will spend money but the difference is we have a manager who will give our young players a chance. We will also live within our means and try and develop a team, rather than spend obscene amounts every transfer window. Football should not just be about loading money into the pockets of agents and becoming football's equivalent of the Harlem globe trotters.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16187 on: May 29, 2017, 02:01:50 pm »
He'd become their best player. Sanchez has actually grown into a better player at Arsenal than he was at Barca.

Isn't he basically the same player at Arsenal as he was at Udinese, where he was phenomenal? Looks brilliant when a 3rd tier team is built around him but maybe not quite having what it takes to be an attacker at an elite club like Barca?

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16188 on: May 29, 2017, 02:34:15 pm »
City don't need Sanchez, can't see him getting in their team anyway......doesn't run far enough.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16189 on: May 29, 2017, 03:09:09 pm »
Any potential bargains to be had out of the City rejects?

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16190 on: May 29, 2017, 03:10:17 pm »
Iheanacho but they wouldn't sell to us.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16191 on: May 29, 2017, 03:10:21 pm »

Not really. All their rejects are old and on mad money.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16192 on: May 29, 2017, 03:12:07 pm »

Aguero

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16193 on: May 29, 2017, 03:24:50 pm »
Yet your post is to a Benfica supporter.  ;D

I think he knows about the league and players better than you do.
I'm talking about his reputation you clown.

I knew who Oblak was while he was still at Benfica, I've no idea who Ederson is and I had no idea top clubs were sniffing around after him.

This guy City have signed could be even better than Oblak, though I doubt that. That wasn't my point.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16194 on: May 29, 2017, 03:27:48 pm »
Isn't he basically the same player at Arsenal as he was at Udinese, where he was phenomenal? Looks brilliant when a 3rd tier team is built around him but maybe not quite having what it takes to be an attacker at an elite club like Barca?
No of course he isn't the same player he was at Udi.

That's like saying isn't Benatia, Candreva, Cuardado etc the same players.. you obviously grow and learn the more you play. Playing for Barcelona and winning two Copa's with Chile has clearly helped him progress and now he's as good as he has ever been.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:29:58 pm by ggcc14 »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #16195 on: May 29, 2017, 03:42:26 pm »

Why not?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16196 on: May 29, 2017, 03:55:03 pm »

Talk of a 20m bid from West Ham for him.

He's looked pretty good when I have watched him play. 

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16197 on: May 29, 2017, 03:59:42 pm »
Why not?
Because we're a threat to them. We could offer more than West Ham or Everton and they'd prefer to offload him to them, one of the perks of having an bottomless pit of money.
Talk of a 20m bid from West Ham for him.

He's looked pretty good when I have watched him play. 
He's the closest thing I've seen to a young Daniel Sturridge. A natural goalscorer with a high goal to minutes played ratio at 20 years old.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16198 on: May 29, 2017, 04:00:38 pm »

It is the difference between where the clubs get their money that is the crucial one though, us and others have a large but finite budget based on our own earnings, whereas the likes of city are working with an unlimited budget that has little to do with their turnover, regardless of whether it is the real one or the fictional one they announce.  ;D

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16199 on: May 29, 2017, 08:44:27 pm »
Thankfully FFP is working to it's fullest and preventing oil teams from gaining significant advantages via spending above their means, isn't that so Mac red?

I was referring to Man City going to bed with Jorge Mendes.

That always ends with large quantities of antibiotics.