Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 Shankly-The building of a football dynasty-The Genius  (Read 14391 times)

Online the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
It’s 1968 and a gang of kids are playing footy in the street. The goals are formed between the tar line that dissects the middle of the road and the two lamposts that stand on opposite sides of the street. A bald, Scottish fella approaches on his bike. He stops, dismounts and watches the kids play. This is my chance to impress him. I control the ball and turn in one movement- just like my Dad had shown me in Walton Hall Park on his Sunday off, It works perfectly, it's a pity my Dad wasn't here to see me leaving my marker flat-footed and right out the game- I dribble right between the two defenders, who like the others are at least two years older than me and intent on harm and with only the goalie to beat, I feint and curl it around Gary Guinan who is goalie on the spot.

'What a goal, Rodger Hunt is only a goal away from his second Hatrick’ I cry.

Just letting him know that I’d scored five and this goal was no flash in the pan. He’s got to have noticed me this time, but my perfect moment  is ruined when one of my team mates shouts.

‘What a f**king goal.’

Oh, no! I know he won’t be impressed by my mate swearing, I try not to swear when he's around because I know he has high standards and he wouldn’t like it. He doesn’t even drink or smoke, I'd read that in my Dad’s pink Echo. I even showed it to me Mum, when she wanted me to go the shop for her messages I told her she shouldn’t be smoking but she just laughed and told me to get ten Woodbines and I could spend the change on sweets. I’ll get Bazooka Joe's instead, but I won’t tell me Mum because chewy sticks to your insides. I hope he likes chewy, I know Tommy Smith does because I saw him spit it out, by The Paddock, when he took a throw in right by me and my Dad at the match, it fell in the snow, we were playing Nottingham Forest and Terry Hennesy plays for them. Chewy would be really hard to give up, especially as I’d only just learnt how to blow bubbles, although I could give up Spanglers, apart from the green ones. They're far too nice to give up for anyone.

As I look up, I notice him smiling and he’s on his way, walking his bike on the pavement, respecting the boundaries of our pitch as if it was Wembley Stadium, the scene of our great FA Cup win.  What a man and I’m the only one who recognises him, one day I might even get a trial if I carry on playing this well and show him I’m serious about wanting to play for Liverpool.

It would be another two years before I realise that the bald Scottish man that rode his bike down our street and watched us play football wasn’t Scottish and more importantly wasn’t my hero Bill Shankly. He was a lookalike who had an allotment behind the railway, the same allotments where the German Spy with one arm used to bury his bodies.

As kids growing up in Liverpool, Bill Shankly was more than just a football manager; he embodied everything good about the world. He didn’t just make his team feel invincible, he made us feel invincible too. We might be living In Fazakerley or Norris Green but everything seemed possible because we were important. We knew because Bill Shankly had told us, 'The fans are the most important part of this football club, I tell the players they're privileged to play for you'.

Time takes a cigarette... ;)  but it also viciously destroys your hero’s. You realise General Custer wasn’t Errol Flynn's character but a zealot with murderous intent, Casey Jones was nothing more than a strike-breaker and Batman was a camp vigilante. You realise most of the footballers you looked up to aren’t particularly nice people and certainly not worth your adoration. In fact only two of my hero’s have stood the scrutiny of time, Muhammad Ali and Bill Shankly. The more I find out about Shankly the more I realise how important he was in not just building two great football teams but in shaping everything about our footballing dynasty and what has become known as 'The Liverpool Way'.

Great men change their world but not in a vaccum. Shankly was a genius who came to Liverpool at exactly the right time for both him and for Liverpool. He was a catalyst that was at the centre of social changes taking place on Merseyside. To get the whole picture of his achievements not only do we have to look at Bill Shankly’s genius but also the social and political changes taking place on Merseyside and how they impacted on building one of the great world football clubs from  a second rate football team languishing in Division Two. It's not an exaggeration to say the arrival of Shankly starts the history of modern day Liverpool Football Club.

This is the first part of a three part look at the forces shaping the building of that dynasty in the second part I'll look at the growing Merseybeat scene and in the third the changing social picture and politics of Merseyside that all came together to create a 'perfect storm' that Bill Shankly was able to harness, as he built his vision, which still effects how we see Liverpool today.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:30:43 pm by MichaelA »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

royhendo

Re: Shankly-The Building of a Football Dynasty- Part 1- The Genius
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:42:51 am »
Absolutely phenomenal. It's funny - only a few days ago the Beeb broadcast a special on Jock Stein, and Hugh McIlvanney said something interesting about what sets genuinely great men aside - the presence to change the atmosphere of a room, or a scene, just by their presence (or by their imagined presence in this case). Brilliant stuff. :)

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Re: Shankly-The Building of a Football Dynasty- Part 1- The Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 6, 2012, 09:36:10 am »
An amazingly descriptive piece of writing. I could picture the scene so clearly.

“You realise most of the footballers you looked up to aren’t particularly nice people and certainly not worth your adoration. In fact only two of my hero’s have stood the scrutiny of time, Muhammad Ali and Bill Shankly.”

How very sad but true.

Can’t wait for the next instalment, can never tire of hearing Shankly anecdotes.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Drippy Dick

• probably due to the tumble tossing
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: When I met Bill Shankly-The Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2012, 12:50:50 pm »
That has put a smile on my face. Excellent read. And as Mr. Gibbons said, very easy to picture.
I live my life for the stars that shine

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2012, 01:20:58 pm »
Unbelievable a post of this quality has taken almost a month to get bumped.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Stanno06

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Scouse not English
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2012, 01:32:45 pm »
Unbelievable a post of this quality has taken almost a month to get bumped.

I agree. Missed it the 1st time but glad i got to read it. Certainly put a smile on my face.
"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died" - American Graffiti

www.plasma-metal-art.com

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2012, 01:33:08 pm »
Absolutely brilliant post Albie, nailed the man to a T. with your permission I have a little story similar to your story I am sure I have posted it on RAWK but it was some time ago, years I think.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2012, 01:39:27 pm »
Heh, missed it meself. So thank you for the bump.

Brilliant post - thank you.

Look forward to more.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2012, 01:39:56 pm »
 I have no idea how I missed that. Brilliant, absolutely great stuff.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 6, 2012, 02:20:34 pm »
Glad this got bumped, superb Albie!

PS I was at that Nottingham Forest match as well.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2012, 02:46:02 pm »
'Its all thanks to shanks'
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
« Reply #11 on: November 6, 2012, 03:00:13 pm »
Fantastic piece mate. Great for relatively younger members like me to get a picture of how it was.  :thumbup
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 6, 2012, 03:35:46 pm »
Fantastic piece mate. Great for relatively younger members like me to get a picture of how it was.  :thumbup
The last few years have been horrible. So, it's good for us older ones to remember why we fell in love with the club too. Shanks was right. We might have had our kick offs and fall outs between ourselves, like all family do. But it really was something special, and it did feel like being a part of something massive with thousands of friends about you. Great days. It's good to remember them now and again. But I think he's bigging the goal up. I heard he swung a welly at it, missed, and it hit him on the arse and trickled over the line.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Online the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 6, 2012, 03:48:22 pm »
The last few years have been horrible. So, it's good for us older ones to remember why we fell in love with the club too. Shanks was right. We might have had our kick offs and fall outs between ourselves, like all family do. But it really was something special, and it did feel like being a part of something massive with thousands of friends about you. Great days. It's good to remember them now and again. But I think he's bigging the goal up. I heard he swung a welly at it, missed, and it hit him on the arse and trickled over the line.

I could a been a contender, not my fault that we jibbed organised footy when we became Bootboys ;)

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
« Reply #14 on: November 6, 2012, 03:50:51 pm »

Absolutely mate, absolutely.

Pieces like this show what RAWK is all about.  :)
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 6, 2012, 03:52:35 pm »

I could a been a contender, not my fault that we jibbed organised footy when we became Bootboys ;)

;D I have a little story about Bill Shankly with your permission could I post it in your thread it is on similar lines to your story but not long  :-[
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Online the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 6, 2012, 03:58:42 pm »

;D I have a little story about Bill Shankly with your permission could I post it in your thread it is on similar lines to your story but not long  :-[

Vic you certainly don't need my permission,  it would be a honour having one of your stories about Shanks posted in here, the longer the better as far as i'm concerned, I never tire listening to stories about him..

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 6, 2012, 04:02:02 pm »
Great read that - thanks a lot !

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 6, 2012, 04:16:28 pm »

Vic you certainly don't need my permission,  it would be a honour having one of your stories about Shanks posted in here, the longer the better as far as i'm concerned, I never tire listening to stories about him..

Thanks mate

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 6, 2012, 04:39:55 pm »
Sunday was a day I looked forward to, not because I would be playing football (Sunday League), I also played on Saturday, (Northern Premier) and Wednesday as well (Business House League) but it was Sunday lunch, mmmmm, so as not to be seen as unfair we would spend one Sunday afternoon with the "Shankly's" and the next with the "Gills", It was Sunday lunch I craved for. Barbara was ok with tinned stuff but not so good with fresh stuff that took a bit longer to cook. Anyway it was the Shankly's turn this particular Sunday, Mr. Shankly set the table (Yes I said Mr. Shankly) and just as we were about to sit down the doorbell rang, Mr. Shankly went to open it there was a bit of mumbling, I couldn't make it out then Mr.Shankly shouted, "Nessie put my dinner in the oven, I'm going out to play with the lads" I went and looked out the window and sure enough there he was off down the road to what is aptly called these days, "The Bill Shankly Playing field".

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #20 on: November 6, 2012, 04:48:14 pm »
"Nessie put my dinner in the oven, I'm going out to play with the lads" I went and looked out the window and sure enough there he was off down the road to what is aptly called these days, "The Bill Shankly Playing field".

Fantastic, I dare anyone to read this line without the great man's voice in their head.

It's funny that when people ask the question "if you could invite 10 people from history for dinner who would it be" Shankly would be the first person I would say every time.

And you have had that pleasure. Thanks, I would love to read more.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2012, 08:38:43 pm »
I have taken this bit from the thread about Tommy Smith and Emlyn Hughesit, it has nothing to do with them, I think it will fit better in here

I remember a story about Mr.Shankly going to David Johnson's house to talk to his parents about him signing for Liverpool, told to me by David, Mr. Shankly kept talking about football and what he could do for David, but Davids mum (Strangely enough called Amy) kept talking about what would LFC do about education, then Mr.Shankly lost his rag and said "for christs sake woman what do you want a professional footballer or a Professor ?" Mrs Johnson told him to leave and as he was walking down the path she shouted after him "next time you want to sign David Johnson it will cost you a fortune" It did we payed Ipswich Town £200,000 for him
« Last Edit: November 6, 2012, 08:41:44 pm by vicgill »

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »
Vic, there's a new collection of articles that Shanks wrote for the Liverpool Echo out, available for Kindle, its really outstanding because its Bill talking straight to the fans, I wrote a review of it here:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=299139.msg10997299#msg10997299
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2012, 09:30:11 pm »
Great post Albie, really enjoyed it and looking forward to the rest.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 6, 2012, 11:14:18 pm »
I'd missed it too, lovely read.
Shankly was spoken about in school as much as if not more than the players. A phenomenal era.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #25 on: November 7, 2012, 01:01:04 am »
i met a fella when i was over in athens at the european cup final.
really nice guy he was.he trained as a chef and i cant remember whether he said he worked with or trained  with gordon Ramsey.
Anyway i got the impression his food wasnt to be missed if invited, and sure enough..after many drinks and laughs he invited me down to his place several weeks later.
went down with his son who is a good red and living on the wirral and drove down to the south coast.
On arrival he couldnt wait to show me a framed letter hanging in his hall way
only small with the old typewriter writing on it
Apparently he had sent some money into a charity , and the great man himself replied ....brought tears to my eyes Vic....shanks was going on about how great liverpool people were and its the sought of thing that Liverpool people do etc...
signed at the bottom Bill Shankly on Liverpoolfc letterheaded paper
I still get flash backs,it touched me that much

bringing the same flavour of story many years forward to the present day...it was last season and i was at Melwood with a couple of mates watching the training over the wall...as yer do...and i chucked i think it was about thirty quid in at the gate to the security lads to give to Kenny towards Marinas charity.
He insisted that i left some details as their not allowed to just accept money
so i left them with my mobile number which was in the car
hour or so later i saw a missed call....and a message on the answer machine
plays it back and its kenny's secretary asking me to ring back and leave an address
didnt want the fuss really but toyed with whether to bother or not and in the end if theyve gone out the way , it would be rude not to
spoke to the secretary and left the address as requested.
couple of days later...the post arrives
It was like history repeating itself....theres a letter from kenny thanking us....the bit that stood out though ....it was only about five six sentences and he thanked me three times
i tell yer the man is incredible....he meant every word...from the heart
Kenny was / is like a chip off the ol shankly block
reminds me...must get a frame to put it up in my hall !
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #26 on: November 7, 2012, 01:50:07 am »
Absolutely brilliant mate.

Thanks for taking the time to write it.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
« Reply #27 on: November 7, 2012, 07:35:29 am »
Whenever i read anything about Shankly i find it draws you in and fills you with a great feeling of pride, nostalgia and a pining for the great days of Liverpool FC to come back again :'(
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline exilescouse

• Lack sufficient letters for real testicles.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: November 7, 2012, 09:45:58 am »
I started going the match in 1973. Aged 6.

I can remember my uncle took me on the kop, in the middle and sat me on a bar, I recall the bar heading downwards rather than crossways, not sure if this recollection is right. Every time we scored he would vanish and reappear a minute later.

Special days and a special atmosphere.

If you had a time machine which game would you go back to and watch again, and which game would you take a more recent fan to and what differences do you think would stand out to them?

Great op by the way

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 7, 2012, 11:05:52 am »
I started going the match in 1973. Aged 6.

I can remember my uncle took me on the kop, in the middle and sat me on a bar, I recall the bar heading downwards rather than crossways, not sure if this recollection is right. Every time we scored he would vanish and reappear a minute later.

Special days and a special atmosphere.

If you had a time machine which game would you go back to and watch again, and which game would you take a more recent fan to and what differences do you think would stand out to them?

Great op by the way

Brilliant OP

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 7, 2012, 11:11:47 am »
Vic, there's a new collection of articles that Shanks wrote for the Liverpool Echo out, available for Kindle, its really outstanding because its Bill talking straight to the fans, I wrote a review of it here:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=299139.msg10997299#msg10997299

Cracking review that stussy mate, I wrote quite a long reply and apparently pressed the wrong button and lost the lot, I will try and jog my memory and try again later

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 7, 2012, 11:38:45 am »
really nice guy he was.he trained as a chef and i cant remember whether he said he worked with or trained  with gordon Ramsey.
Anyway i got the impression his food wasnt to be missed if invited, and sure enough..after many drinks and laughs he invited me down to his place several weeks later.
went down with his son who is a good red and living on the wirral and drove down to the south coast.
Apparently he had sent some money into a charity , and the great man himself replied ....brought tears to my eyes Vic....shanks was going on about how great liverpool people were and its the sought of thing that Liverpool people do etc...

bringing the same flavour of story many years forward to the present day...it was last season and i was at Melwood with a couple of mates watching the training over the wall...as yer do...and i chucked i think it was about thirty quid in at the gate to the security lads to give to Kenny towards Marinas charity.
plays it back and its kenny's secretary asking me to ring back and leave an address
didnt want the fuss really but toyed with whether to bother or not and in the end if theyve gone out the way , it would be rude not to
It was like history repeating itself....theres a letter from kenny thanking us....the bit that stood out though ....it was only about five six sentences and he thanked me three times

Here you go mate

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #32 on: November 7, 2012, 11:41:43 am »

Lovely story. Somewhere down the line, the club lost its heart. Well we ripped it out.
Justice for the 96

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: November 7, 2012, 04:00:06 pm »
author=exilescouse link=topic= Special days and a special atmosphere.

Great op by the way

For me it would always be Inter Milan in 65;got in the kop at about 5.15 for a 7.30 ko and I think the gates were shut about 15 minutes later.The greatest atmosphere I ever witnessed-including St Etienne in 77 and Chelsea in 2005.The unbelievable euphoria as the FA Cup was paraded round the ground by Gerry Byrne and Gordan Milne-sent out by Shanks just as the teams were out to warm up.Winning the FA Cup then meant everything and in many ways that night was the start of what European nights   came to mean.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2012, 08:44:53 pm by The 5th Benitle »

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 7, 2012, 04:25:14 pm »
[quote author=exilescouse link=topic= Special days and a special atmosphere.

Great op by the way

For me it would always be Inter Milan in 65;got in the kop at about 5.15 for a 7.30 ko and I think the gates were shut about 15 minutes later.The greatest atmosphere I ever witnessed-including St Etienne in 77 and Chelsea in 2005.The unbelievable euphoria as the FA Cup was paraded round the ground by Gerry Byrne and Gordan Milne-sent out by Shanks just as the teams were out to warm up.Winning the FA Cup then meant everything and in many ways that night was the start of what European nights   came to mean.

Yes, there have been many but that one is mine too, we had played the Cup Final on Saturday and that went to extra time and then such a massive game against Inter and we destroyed them, just brilliant.

I would like to add something to that,in the semi final of the FA cup that year we had to play Chelsea at Villa Park, before that game we had to play Cologne the German team in the European Cup, we drew 0-0 in Cologne and we drew 0-0 at Anfield, I remember the Kop singing ("You'll never score Cologne") Then we had to play a replay at Feyenoords ground (Holland) on the Wednesday before the FA cup semi final which ended in a 2-2 draw and extra time, the game was decided by the toss of a coin which landed in the mud sideways, another toss of the coin and luckily for us Yeates called it right. The team came home and on the Saturday we went to Villa Park and beat Chelsea 2-0. Just mentioning that because when people say todays players are fitter than the old days, I just like to say "Bollocks".

Had it not been for some atrocious refereering by the Spanish Ref we would have been the first British team to play in the European Cup Final. After the first leg, Inters Manager Hellenio Herrera said "We have been beaten before, but never defeated, tonight we were defeated".
« Last Edit: November 8, 2012, 10:07:29 am by vicgill »

Online the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 7, 2012, 09:36:54 pm »
The Inter Milan game was my dad's favourite game I heard about it all the time growing up, I was just too young to actually go, for my generation it had to be St Ettiene, can remember it like yesterday.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #36 on: November 7, 2012, 11:21:09 pm »

Here you go mate

anyone who doesnt feel something all warm and cuddly inside when they look at that pic...really has missed out big time somewhere along the lines...cheers Vic!

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #37 on: November 7, 2012, 11:29:38 pm »
one of the things i remember about that st etienne game was my dad taking me mum to the bingo....he wanted to go and take me but couldnt get tickets....on arrival at the bingo...me dad was talking to the fella on the door and he said he was gutted...got a ticket in his pocket but couldnt go coz of work....somehow my dad blagged the ticket and scarpered leaving me mum to play bingo...a real coup...lol...hes not with us anymore but would have loved to of asked him ...did he do a runner...or did me mum say it was alright to go?....
i remember him getting home with a massive smile on his face...even as a youngun...i sensed something ...i kept badgering him about his night and he spilled the beans...i think he didnt want to upset me coz he knew how big an occasion it was and i would be gutted but he couldnt hold it in...i just remember one phrase from the whole description...'the stands were moving'..
i dint really take it all in what he was trying to say...sounds daft now but i really didnt get it...it was one of those...you have to have been there moments...
chelsea 05 at Anfield....i got it!

Offline Alan574

• Main Stander
Re: Shankly-The building of a football dynasty-The Genius
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, 10:25:31 pm »
Love this.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Re: Shankly-The building of a football dynasty-The Genius
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 10:55:45 am »
Just over 50 days to his hundredth birthday.