Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 603906 times)

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #5320 on: July 18, 2018, 02:35:12 pm »
Yeah pretty crazy. Think most thought the wholesale changes were done with Casey's departure.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #5321 on: July 18, 2018, 03:04:04 pm »
Looking at the deal, I get it. Kept our young core, other than Poetl. If he's healthy, we have a legitimate shot at the finals. If not, we are just getting to the rebuild a year or two quicker. Im pretty content with this. History says to always trade for the superstar.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5322 on: July 18, 2018, 04:45:11 pm »
Smartest team in them league....watching the spurs fall has been and will continue to be a pleasure.

Good move for Toronto. Probably won't stay but absolutely worth the try. A healthy Boston smashes that conference but injuries happen.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5323 on: July 18, 2018, 04:48:39 pm »
Sending away away your best player, a first rounder (no matter how low) and a decent young piece is some gamble for a 1 year rental, even if the East is wide open and Kawhi is a top 5 player. Even if he recovers fully, he still doesn't make them a title contender to the level of the Dubs and the Rockets and I'd say they're still comfortably behind Boston, considering that Kyrie and Hayward will be ready from day 1.

Pretty mad from Toronto, and a good haul for the Spurs, pretty much the best they could get since the Lakers never put in a serious offer.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5324 on: July 18, 2018, 05:19:28 pm »
Hopefully he at least plays for the raptors this year, would hope they at least checked with him first before making the trade

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5325 on: July 18, 2018, 05:22:05 pm »
Eow didn’t see that coming. Another strike out for Lakers too. First Paul George then Kawhi.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #5326 on: July 18, 2018, 06:39:49 pm »
Sending away away your best player, a first rounder (no matter how low) and a decent young piece is some gamble for a 1 year rental, even if the East is wide open and Kawhi is a top 5 player. Even if he recovers fully, he still doesn't make them a title contender to the level of the Dubs and the Rockets and I'd say they're still comfortably behind Boston, considering that Kyrie and Hayward will be ready from day 1.

Pretty mad from Toronto, and a good haul for the Spurs, pretty much the best they could get since the Lakers never put in a serious offer.

I don't see how any of this is mad for Toronto we weren't competing anyways with DeRozan. The madness was all with the Rockets, Dubs and Celts and how easily all three of those teams acquired their ridiculous talent and all the other GMs and players that let it happen over the years. At least this gives us a chance to beat the Celts and make it to the finals, a small chance, but a chance none the less. And if Green and Kawhi leaves a season after then we also deal Lowry (with only a year left on his contract we should get something) and rebuild a year earlier around Siakam and OG.

Not ideal but not mad at all. It's like people forget DeRozan was straight up benched during long stretches of playoff crunch time last season.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:44:32 pm by trimore »
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5327 on: July 18, 2018, 06:57:29 pm »
Smartest team in them league....watching the spurs fall has been and will continue to be a pleasure.

Good move for Toronto. Probably won't stay but absolutely worth the try. A healthy Boston smashes that conference but injuries happen.

Keep dreaming. We made the playoffs without Leonard and missed Rudy for two months along with Parker and injuries to Aldridge.

We'll make the playoffs again and stay afloat, up until there is an opportunity to do more.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:20:56 pm by deFacto »

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5328 on: July 18, 2018, 07:01:45 pm »
Eow didn’t see that coming. Another strike out for Lakers too. First Paul George then Kawhi.

Smart move by the Lakers, Kawhi will most likely sign there next year anyway. They avoided making the mistake the Knicks made with Melo in 2011. The young players will keep improving playing with Lebron and will get some playoff experience (they'll get bounced max in the 2nd round, but still) and next year they'll try to make a run at the title.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #5330 on: July 18, 2018, 09:06:01 pm »
Smart move by the Lakers, Kawhi will most likely sign there next year anyway. They avoided making the mistake the Knicks made with Melo in 2011. The young players will keep improving playing with Lebron and will get some playoff experience (they'll get bounced max in the 2nd round, but still) and next year they'll try to make a run at the title.

Exactly.

Glad we passed on Kawhi because they were asking way too much(allegedly) He reportedly has no interest in staying in Toronto and I can’t see him staying knowing he has a chance with LeBron and playing in LA. Now hopefully we will get him next season without the losses of any of the young core and that will make us a much better team. This doesn’t hurt Lakers really that bad.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5331 on: July 18, 2018, 09:16:18 pm »
Who the fuck will the Lakers sign to play with LeBron now. Big talk of Boogie and Claw and they've both signed elsewhere
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5332 on: July 18, 2018, 09:34:35 pm »
Who the fuck will the Lakers sign to play with LeBron now. Big talk of Boogie and Claw and they've both signed elsewhere

They wont. They'll wait for next summer, Buttler,Kawhi,KD,Klay,Boogie are all free agents.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5333 on: July 18, 2018, 09:37:08 pm »
Keep dreaming. We made the playoffs without Leonard and missed Rudy for two months along with Parker and injuries to Aldridge.

We'll make the playoffs again and stay afloat, up until there is an opportunity to do more.

Being first round and out is all I need after watching them go deep for nearly 20 years. And then Pop will retire and replacing him will be like replacing Ferguson or Belichick.
It's a beautiful day. I never knew how much I disliked them until today...always thought I was neutral.

Derozan seemed really hurt by it. Just another proof of teams being as unloyal as players are always accused of being.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:39:56 pm by b_joseph »

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5334 on: July 18, 2018, 09:41:37 pm »

Lakers opting not to part with assets for Kawhi is another attempt at a home-run. Kawhi is great but now we have a chance to see how much better Ingram, Kuzma, Lonzo, Hart are playing w/ LeBron and still bring in Kawhi other quality FA next summer.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5335 on: July 18, 2018, 09:50:47 pm »
Being first round and out is all I need after watching them go deep for nearly 20 years. And then Pop will retire and replacing him will be like replacing Ferguson or Belichick.
It's a beautiful day. I never knew how much I disliked them until today...always thought I was neutral.

Derozan seemed really hurt by it. Just another proof of teams being as unloyal as players are always accused of being.

The great thing about the Spurs outside of Pop and RC, is that they have developed plenty of coaches and will make the right decision when it comes to finding Pop's replacement. As a Spurs fan I am not worried about that.

Yeah you don't like them because you hate a side that's successful. 5 rings in 20 years, but we will be back one way or another.

Online coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #5336 on: July 19, 2018, 02:32:11 am »
The great thing about the Spurs outside of Pop and RC, is that they have developed plenty of coaches and will make the right decision when it comes to finding Pop's replacement. As a Spurs fan I am not worried about that.

Yeah you don't like them because you hate a side that's successful. 5 rings in 20 years, but we will be back one way or another.

Not really a Spurs fan, but I have mad love for Pop.

Not sure what I think of the Kawhi trade, especially if the rumours are true about him threatening to sit out another goddamn season because he didn't get what he wanted.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5337 on: July 19, 2018, 02:41:45 am »

Not sure what I think of the Kawhi trade, especially if the rumours are true about him threatening to sit out another goddamn season because he didn't get what he wanted.

I have no thoughts on Kawhi, hard to say anything about a guy who doesn't speak and moves the way he has in the last six months. If he were to sit out for a whole year, it would the most twatish thing an NBA player has done in recent memory.

I'm looking forward to the new season, Murray,DeRozan,Walker,Gay,Aldridge is a solid 5 and a bench of Belinelli,Mills,Forbes,Bartens,Gasol[I wish we never resigned him],Cunningham,White,Poeltl and Ginobili

I'm fully expecting us to make the playoffs. 50 wins is doable considering we got 47 last year without Kawhi and without Gay and Parker for certain stretches of the season.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5338 on: July 19, 2018, 07:15:37 am »

was watching the jump and Rachel Nichols said even if he sat out they can withhold his pay and he won’t become a free agent for another year, so he will be pissed off but best off just going there and getting it done and then buggering off to the lakeshow

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #5339 on: July 19, 2018, 08:21:26 am »
And herein marks the demise of the once mighty Spurs.
Ironically enough, brought down by their mishandling of their best player. Who woulda thunk it.
Lakers win the offseason. Not only did they bring in the best player in the leagur and instantly change the narrative about their franchise in receny years, they win by simply not budging and gutting their core for Kawahi.  Have patience,  give the young core a year to prove themselves and either raise their market and trade value to sell or build with, and go for the free agents next window.

Spurs faltered. Bottled it. Tried to strong arm it and realised too late the control was not in their hands.
Respect to Pop, but sending his player stooges to chat shit about their best player was a low blow.
Not everyone is Duncan, apparently it's easier to build a team around a superstar when you've got the likes of David Robinson and Tim Duncan leading the team over the latter 20 years. Can't seem to manage it with the next generation.

Every empire inevitably faces its demise either by failing to adapt whilst maintaining their core values. Some say the latter is the reason for the former.

Glad the Lakers and Celtics era is hopefully reawakening.  Now can someone get rid of the insufferable Warriors. Can't stand their posturing.

Knicks' rookies looking great, Knox is a keeper.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5340 on: July 19, 2018, 09:21:27 am »
Come down pretty hard on that brawl a couple weeks back with Australia and Phillipines:

Philippines v Australia basketball: 13 players suspended after on-court brawl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5341 on: July 19, 2018, 11:24:02 am »
A lot of wishful thinking in here.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5342 on: July 19, 2018, 02:25:00 pm »
A fantastic article on the work being done by Marc Gasol during off-season in helping the migrants:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/19/marc-gasol-migrant-rescue-mediterranean-nba-memphis-grizzlies?CMP=share_btn_tw

Nee more people like him actively helping and raising their voice against the ever-increasing migrant crisis.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5343 on: July 19, 2018, 04:13:08 pm »

Kawhi won't be staying in Toronto.  Saw a tweet from Rick Bucher (sp) which said that when Kawhi went to the all star game in Toronto he never left his hotel room.  He hates the cold. 

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5344 on: July 19, 2018, 04:28:02 pm »
Should be excited about one of the best players in the league joining my team, but I'm not. I don't like him.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5345 on: July 19, 2018, 04:28:35 pm »
Kawhi won't be staying in Toronto.  Saw a tweet from Rick Bucher (sp) which said that when Kawhi went to the all star game in Toronto he never left his hotel room.  He hates the cold. 

He can use the PATH then. Also it is as cold in Toronto as other major North American cities in the Midwest or Atlantic seabord (i.e. Chicago, New York, Boston, Toronto)

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5346 on: July 19, 2018, 06:32:35 pm »
Should be excited about one of the best players in the league joining my team, but I'm not. I don't like him.

I don't blame you, he seems like a proper twat. I'm no Raptors fan, but I've always liked them and wanted a Canadian team to do well, but Kawhi is making it really difficult. Personally, I'd take a top player playing out his contract and then joining a 73 win team over him acting like a prick all season (especially towards a decent coach like Pop) and then complaining when he gets traded to a team he didn't want to go to.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5347 on: July 19, 2018, 06:39:42 pm »

Wasn't worth the risk, in my opinion.
They're renting him for one season at the expense of DeRozan.
Considering what DeRozan meant for the club, and the season they just had, made no sense.
Absolutely no way Leonard stays in Toronto after next season, and we're not even sure when he'll be back.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #5348 on: July 19, 2018, 07:06:57 pm »
They said Paul George wouldn't stay in OKC, as well.

End of the day, its a massive salary dump if he jets next year and we are able to start the rebuilding process 2 years earlier with a lot of good young players. I get why Masai did it. Im quite happy with it now that Ive seen what we have locked up for the next few years.

Remember, Masai always wins at trades.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5349 on: July 19, 2018, 07:31:51 pm »
He can use the PATH then. Also it is as cold in Toronto as other major North American cities in the Midwest or Atlantic seabord (i.e. Chicago, New York, Boston, Toronto)
Which is why he will be going to LA. 

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5350 on: July 19, 2018, 09:57:06 pm »
Thunder agree trade for Melo to Hawks.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:59:31 pm by LFC_1981 »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5351 on: July 19, 2018, 09:57:30 pm »
Thunder agree trade for Melo to Hawks.

he'll get bought out and then go to Houston

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5352 on: July 19, 2018, 10:00:08 pm »
Yeah probably will be. Trade is for Schroeder and Muscala. Melo will be waived and will join a team of his choice.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5353 on: July 20, 2018, 10:28:35 pm »
Michael Beasley to the lakers, Bron will be pining for JR Smith by November

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5354 on: July 21, 2018, 08:16:15 am »
Michael Beasley to the lakers, Bron will be pining for JR Smith by November
With knuckleheads like Beasley, McGee and even Rondo now they can have own reality show.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5355 on: July 21, 2018, 10:27:34 am »
Chris Haynes

@ChrisBHaynes
 What hasn’t gone unnoticed by some players is how there is no statement in the Raptors’ press release thanking DeMar DeRozan for his contributions over a nine-year period.

That’s really classless move imo.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5356 on: July 21, 2018, 11:55:09 am »
Chris Haynes

@ChrisBHaynes
 What hasn’t gone unnoticed by some players is how there is no statement in the Raptors’ press release thanking DeMar DeRozan for his contributions over a nine-year period.

That’s really classless move imo.
there was a thank you for everything Demar tweet, but yeah they really should have done something like that

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5357 on: July 21, 2018, 12:30:00 pm »
Houston is becoming a much worse team than last year. They will miss the defensive intensity of Ariza come play-off time. extending CP3 at that price given his injury history was not the wisest move. They are now in the edge of losing Capela which would really screw them badly. Adding an inefficient stat padder like Melo won't help them much. When will those teams ever learn?

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5358 on: July 21, 2018, 06:38:04 pm »

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5359 on: July 21, 2018, 11:31:02 pm »