Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 868846 times)

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8200 on: July 1, 2021, 12:45:24 am »
Got an oppo X2 lite a few months ago. Got to say it's a great phone for the price.
5G enabled
Fast but not wireless charging
3.5m headphone socket
128gb memory, but not expandable
Decent cameras all round
Regular updates, not sure if it's via virgin or direct from oppo.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8201 on: July 1, 2021, 09:19:20 am »
bought this

only bug i have with it is spotify constantly showing up on the lockscreen even after you shut it down or swipe it away

its a bit annoying

the finger print is shit too

but great battery/camera

charges super fast too. In a weird way i think ill save on electricity. instead of charging my phone 3 hours a day itll be about 45 mins tops

I am LATE but that notification shade bug has been sorted on latest

I don't use the fingerprint reader in this Wfh era but apparently it's had some software updates. YMMV, hope it steadies for ya

The camera app has a Pro mode. It's great. Absolutely love the manual settings. Sets your photos apart from every other camera phone user

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #8202 on: July 1, 2021, 09:33:26 am »
Getting quite disillusioned with the Samsung S10, constantly charging it without it being in heavy use, I close apps and use one of those recommended 'clean up' tools to keep it running well.
Maybe it's just one of those things like with iphones a few years ago where they deliberately slow down after a year or so (https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51413724).
Going to consider other brands when it's time to upgrade.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #8203 on: July 1, 2021, 10:27:40 am »
Getting quite disillusioned with the Samsung S10, constantly charging it without it being in heavy use, I close apps and use one of those recommended 'clean up' tools to keep it running well.
Maybe it's just one of those things like with iphones a few years ago where they deliberately slow down after a year or so (https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51413724).

I've only ever upgraded phones due to battery issues. I loved my Nokia 8 but the charing port started to play up and was having to charge the phone before it hit 50% as it didn't seem to want to charge when lower than that. I think most phones now have a clean up app within them which allows you to clear cache, delete duplicate photos etc. I would say those clean up apps just take up space not needed.

As mentioned in posts above I've now got an Oppo phone - its great for the price.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #8204 on: July 1, 2021, 04:18:26 pm »
I am LATE but that notification shade bug has been sorted on latest

I don't use the fingerprint reader in this Wfh era but apparently it's had some software updates. YMMV, hope it steadies for ya

The camera app has a Pro mode. It's great. Absolutely love the manual settings. Sets your photos apart from every other camera phone user
havent seen the update yet
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8205 on: July 1, 2021, 05:50:13 pm »
havent seen the update yet

Hmm, bit odd. But I'm rooted on Xiaomi.eu and fixed for me

It is part of Xiaomi's firmware for sure. Hopefully sooner rather than later

BTW it ain't cheap but the wireless charger is amazing

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8206 on: July 1, 2021, 10:59:42 pm »
S10 is getting on a bit now. I use an A71, great phone with excellent battery life. Camera is shite though, not bothered as I rarely use it. Another option is the S20 FE, similar specs but crisper screen, faster processor and better camera.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8207 on: July 2, 2021, 03:11:56 pm »
Hmm, bit odd. But I'm rooted on Xiaomi.eu and fixed for me

It is part of Xiaomi's firmware for sure. Hopefully sooner rather than later

BTW it ain't cheap but the wireless charger is amazing

sound thanks

ill keep an eye out for both

i currently use the charger it came with. Anker i think was the brand. VERY fast. I was going to buy a spare and i will eventually but rather stupidly most of the time the cable isnt included

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8208 on: July 3, 2021, 12:21:39 am »
sound thanks

ill keep an eye out for both

i currently use the charger it came with. Anker i think was the brand. VERY fast. I was going to buy a spare and i will eventually but rather stupidly most of the time the cable isnt included

Do you have an Updater app? worth checking that

I got my charger (and the phone itself mind you!) from Liaow.com - great service and works out a bit cheaper sometimes
https://liaow.com/xiaomi-10-wireless-charger-55w.html

Takes about 40 minutes to charge on this? I have it next to me as I work from home. It's great. You just plug the charger you already have into the back of it (and if you're really in a rush you can just unplug it!)

The thing about this phone is it's two batteries - graphene coated - so in theory may last longer. Here I am a year later and I'm still getting easily over a day (full 24hr) use. I stream music a lot and take photos of the budgie.

Xiaomi are really making great strides in charging technology.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8209 on: July 3, 2021, 08:45:26 am »
They are great phones. Price wise too.

If apple or Samsung made this it would be 3 times the price

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8210 on: July 5, 2021, 09:38:15 am »
Tonela

Spotify issue seems to have solved without me doing anything. Cheers lad

Anyway yeah again, camera is fantastic. The colour detail is incredible.

You could nearly do professional photography out of it

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8211 on: July 5, 2021, 10:39:08 am »
Tonela

Spotify issue seems to have solved without me doing anything. Cheers lad

Anyway yeah again, camera is fantastic. The colour detail is incredible.

You could nearly do professional photography out of it

Great stuff! Stupid bug but Xiaomi are decent at fixing em.

Yeah, the Xiaomi camera pro mode is incredible.. Manual everything. And the ultra wide screen lens is rude!

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8212 on: July 16, 2021, 11:28:58 am »
Sorry for parachuting in, but are any of these Xiaomi phones a larger form factor like the iPhone Plus variants?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8213 on: July 18, 2021, 02:16:28 am »
Sorry for parachuting in, but are any of these Xiaomi phones a larger form factor like the iPhone Plus variants?
A mi11 is slightly bigger than a 12 pro max.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8214 on: July 18, 2021, 04:23:43 pm »
Ta mate - am not sure what to do as I’ve had my iPhone 6 Plus for longer than I can remember. I have grown to loathe apple though.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8215 on: July 18, 2021, 06:52:34 pm »
Make the leap away from the walled garden. You get more bang for your buck with Android. With Xiaomi, absolutely - even if the more recent flagships are as pricey

Biggest hustle in tech right now: Apple is seen as "the best" but also it's lowest common denominator

Yer Xiaomis, yer Onepluses - you won't go back to Apple. I didn't

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8216 on: July 18, 2021, 08:22:08 pm »
Ta mate - am not sure what to do as I’ve had my iPhone 6 Plus for longer than I can remember. I have grown to loathe apple though.
Those are actually not that big, 5.5 inch display although big bezels. It would be hard to find an android phone smaller than that and the ones that are just over 6 inch screens will have a smaller body because bezels are so small these days.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8217 on: July 18, 2021, 09:52:47 pm »

I also think it also probably has something to do with the way Apple has designed its ecosystem.

Migration from Android to Apple is seamless. But the other way is a bitch. It's almost like one-way traffic.

But your general point I agree. You do get more value with Android than Apple.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8218 on: July 19, 2021, 08:26:20 am »
Make the leap away from the walled garden. You get more bang for your buck with Android. With Xiaomi, absolutely - even if the more recent flagships are as pricey

Biggest hustle in tech right now: Apple is seen as "the best" but also it's lowest common denominator

I used Xiaomi and Oneplus.  I went back to Apple (I also have a Pixel 5).  The long-term support is second to none.  I'm running IOS 15 beta on an iphone SE from 2016 !!  The bang for your buck thing isn't as straight forward either, not when you have to buy a device more often or run an older OS.  Personally, the walled garden means very little to me.  I have an iPad I barely use and run Linux on my laptop, it's not like I'm tied into any eco-system, barring Apple Music, I haven't paid them a penny since buying the phone.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8219 on: July 19, 2021, 09:38:04 pm »
Was thinking of moving back to iPhone after years on android. Only thing stopping me is the car I’m getting has android auto and CarPlay but google maps on android is supposed to be far better. Also they are more expensive and I’m really not a fan of those notches, can’t believe they still have them. On the plus side is the longevity of updates and that they seem to take the users privacy more seriously than google.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8220 on: July 24, 2021, 02:13:44 pm »
Well my Poco F2 has stopped charging. Any recommendations for a similar phone but more recent ? Cheers!

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8221 on: July 25, 2021, 09:50:05 am »
I got a Redmi Note 10s in the 1st week of June and I have been loving it so far.

Costes 230 euros and the battery lasts a day and a half for my usage. Charges from 10 to 100 in about an hour 15 mins when I turn off all auxiliaries like data and wifi and bluetooth.

Check out the features if you can and compare them with the 10 pro. Highly recommended.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8222 on: August 13, 2021, 01:34:48 am »
My current apple 10 is paid off and i need to switch carriers next month. Looking to get the new iPhone 13. I’m pretty much stuck on apple and accept that other phones are probably better for less but seem stuck in the apple world. Haven’t been excited about a phone in ages as the changes are very incremental. But weirdly like the idea of having a new phone on day 1.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8223 on: August 13, 2021, 11:09:05 pm »
Could be the first time in a long while I don't opt for an upgrade phone, contracts up and I've got a Galaxy Note 9 and it's great. Plus all the new phone deals seem extortionate.

Probably just go down to 10 a month sim only for 12 months and see, Vodafone through the app want me to take a £40 contract with no new phone  :wanker
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8224 on: August 14, 2021, 01:46:09 pm »
Could be the first time in a long while I don't opt for an upgrade phone, contracts up and I've got a Galaxy Note 9 and it's great. Plus all the new phone deals seem extortionate.

Probably just go down to 10 a month sim only for 12 months and see, Vodafone through the app want me to take a £40 contract with no new phone  :wanker

Have a look at Tesco mobile mate,I've been with them for years now and you can double your club card points to pay for it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8225 on: August 16, 2021, 10:17:17 am »
considering this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-Pro-Smartphone/dp/B08XM1ZJQ8/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=87048103403&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1t7m243n8AIVTe7tCh1K5AjeEAAYAiAAEgJ7T_D_BwE&hvadid=407594927185&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007850&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18188874078391681085&hvtargid=kwd-651467410069&hydadcr=28462_1767100&keywords=xiaomi+redmi+note+10+pro&qid=1622023861&sr=8-3
back to this. have the phone a couple of months now

lately i have noticed when i go to bed i turn off wifi, bluetooth, mobile data etc

no usually the phone only uses about 3% while i sleep. Its now about 15% even though i dont touch it.

I wonder is it the automatic brightness? I have turned off a lot of permissions and display options but no joy. Hopefully a bug they can fix soon like the spotify issue where it constantly showed up in the lockscreen

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8226 on: August 16, 2021, 10:28:31 am »
Not saying its a solution - that does sound like a lot of drain - but why don't you try scheduled power off / on if you're turning connectivity off anyway?

(I used to be para about turning my phone off at night, but set it to turn off at 1am and on at half 6 - it would still get anything you needed, texts, WhatsApp etc and to be honest I wouldn't want to actually use the phone if I woke up at 4am anyway)

If you have the option it'll be in Security

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8227 on: August 16, 2021, 10:42:16 am »
yeah i have that option but i dont really want too on the off chance i ever get a call during the night with an emergency

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8228 on: August 16, 2021, 10:44:35 am »
Always on display consumes a lot of power

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8229 on: August 16, 2021, 10:54:11 am »
Always on display consumes a lot of power
have that turned off

im going to try turning off auto brightness as i dont know if thats working in the backround

am going to try dark mode and see if i like it

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8230 on: August 16, 2021, 11:15:18 am »
Is the backup sloted for midnight?
Google drive, whatsapp and the likes...

EDIT: Just seeing that the essentials are turned off.

I have the Redmi Note 10s. I made the backup at 1800 hours. That way, when I put it for charge, it is already done backing up. And overnight, the 3% drain that you said, happens. Even I get 3-4%.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:21:05 am by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8231 on: August 16, 2021, 12:15:57 pm »
backup for whatsapp is once a month

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8232 on: August 17, 2021, 08:07:03 am »
same again today i am afraid

16% used over night without the damn thing been touched

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8233 on: August 17, 2021, 12:06:41 pm »
It has to be either an app you don't know that's running in the background somehow or an issue with the battery itself.

Since you've pretty much tried everything else, I'd say try a factory reset and only install apps that you absolutely can't do without and then see how much it drains overnight.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8234 on: August 17, 2021, 12:12:08 pm »
Download avast,it has a boost ram function that shuts all the other apps down.

Might not make a difference but it's worth a try.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8235 on: August 17, 2021, 01:58:56 pm »
Do you have google assistant and instagram and the likes?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8236 on: August 17, 2021, 02:04:13 pm »
Do you have google assistant and instagram and the likes?
yes

There is a fix battery issue section in battery and performance which suggests which apps to close to save battery. thats my next move along with avast which is what WAP suggested

looked on youtube but no help plus most videos werent in english

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8237 on: August 17, 2021, 04:29:51 pm »
You should have a way to see battery drain.

Security > battery probably

I have a little graph that shows what's using battery and by what percentage

If you want to keep calls on does it have Ultra Battery Saver mode like other Xiaomis?

That'll disable stuff you can't get to yourself and can have it on / off at certain hours

This is part of why I root though. Control

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8238 on: August 18, 2021, 10:29:07 am »
You should have a way to see battery drain.

Security > battery probably

I have a little graph that shows what's using battery and by what percentage

If you want to keep calls on does it have Ultra Battery Saver mode like other Xiaomis?

That'll disable stuff you can't get to yourself and can have it on / off at certain hours

This is part of why I root though. Control
yep i think ill be doing that next

groundhog day. Great phone and battery is ok normally but shouldnt be losing 16% over night

there was an update this morning so hopefully that helps.

charge it every morning for about 45-50 mins and that is it full and ready for the day

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8239 on: August 18, 2021, 10:48:58 am »
I am genuinely surprised about that mate.

You have the Note 10 pro. I have the Note 10s. I wouldnt assume anything more than 3-4% if I was asked to guess.

I do these things...

All apps have 4 modes in its background battery settings.

1. No restrictions
2. Battery saver
3. Restrict background apps
4. Restrict background activity

All my apps have either 3 or 4. I think only whatsapp has 2. Maybe see if that plays a role?!?