Author Topic: My Favourite Player #14 - Xabi Alonso  (Read 13344 times)

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
My Favourite Player #14 - Xabi Alonso
« on: December 4, 2012, 11:08:05 am »
Take the time it takes you to read this sentence, then divide it by 2, and you’ll have roughly the amount of time it took Xabi Alonso to settle in to Liverpool FC.

Bought in the summer of 2004 by Rafael Benitez for a not unsubstantial £10m his class was instantly visible. It was easy to see why Benitez had prioritised his signing, and was happy to part with such a substantial percentage of his budget to secure his signature.

It was Alonso, more than any other player, who would come to define the way Benitez had envisaged his team playing. He might not have been Gerrard or Torres in numerical terms. What he brought to the team was not quantifiable in terms of goals and assists. But it was Alonso who oiled the gears of progress.

His debut season was disrupted by a broken ankle in January, but Alonso had already sewn the seeds of how important he would become to the squad.

Assured and cultured on and off the ball he provided a calming presence throughout a particularly turbulent route to the final. Always being available, always trustworthy. Alonso was the go to out ball for the entire team almost immediately. Alonso made his return from injury in the away leg of the quarter final against Juventus. With Liverpool holding a slender lead from the 1st leg and without their captain, Alonso maturity shone through as the reds played out a 0-0 draw to reach the semi’s. It was a performance filled with the controlled approach which would come to characterise LFC in Europe in the coming years.

Alonso’s growing influence on the team is perhaps best typified by how it was he who stepped up to take the penalty to level things up *that* night. Alonso was trusted with perhaps the most defining moment in recent Liverpool history. Gerrard, on his crusade to deliver the trophy, having won the spot kick and scored a goal already could have been forgiven for backing himself. But he, hardly one for shirking responsibility, was happy to let Alonso be the one to step up to the mark. Gerrard had missed penalties  before, but he was very much ‘on one’ in that game. There was a certain German international on the pitch at that point who could strike a penalty too, and not likely to wilt under the pressure. As he would come to show later on. But it was Xabi that was entrusted with the task. Trusted by his manager and his team mates.

That Alonso missed the penalty is besides the point. For a player in his debut season to be given that job, in that game, it speaks for itself. Alonso exudes a level of competency and fortitude that not many can match. It came to typify his time at the club.

Fatefully Xabi was able to follow up his penalty and fire emphatically in to the roof of the net.

That alone would have allowed him a permanent place in our affections. But he was just warming up.

He hadn’t even grown his beard yet.

As the facial hair grew, so did Alonso’s importance to the team.

Over the coming seasons Alonso came to personify the approach that Benitez was attempting to implement. There were dips in his form, so much so that Rafa sought to move him on. But when the system, the set up and the team worked under Rafa and worked well. It was so often Alonso who was  the key.

Those long flat passes in to the front line which allowed the team to so quickly and efficiently transition. The ability to take responsibility for playing from the back. The constant availability. Alonso allowed Gerrard and Torres to shine as brightly as they did in that period. He was the man behind the music. George Martin to their Lennon and McCartney.

Alonso’s influence became most apparent only once he’d left the club. Amid an increasingly distant relationship with his manager Xabi had his head turned by Real Madrid. And so it was in the summer of 2009 that he left Anfield.

It was widely known that his departure would occur. And that the 08/09 season would be his last in a red shirt, well, last to date.

Alonso knew he was leaving, and set about ensuring that 08/09 was to be his swansong.

This was the season that Benitez’s vision came to fruition. Liverpool made a play for the title, outscoring every other team in the league in doing so. The goals were spread out through the team, Gerrard, Torres and Kuyt all netting 15 times or over. 

There was consistency, a driving ambition and a resolve about the team that year. It was a culmination of the 4 years work that had come previously.

It seems strange to be eulogising so much about a team that finished that particular season without silverware, that is after all what we as a club measure ourselves by.

But the sense of momentum that year, the feeling of excitement around a genuine title challenge. It was different. We’d seen the team develop, we’d seen new elements come in to it. Pieces of the puzzle were added, Kuyt, Mascherano, Torres. It was sustained, not hastily assembled. It meant a little more that year because we saw it develop before our eyes.

There were 3 players who had been there from 2004 who were absolutely central to the team’s title challenge coming to fruition. 2 of them are bona fide club legends who’s names will be remembered down the ages as local lads done good.

The other, was Xabi Alonso.

Alonso is part of a proud tradition of foreign imports that just ‘get’ the club. We know when it feels right, and so do they. Molby, Hyypia, Hamman, Agger, Kuyt and others besides. They’re all adopted Scousers. There’s a connection that supasses the club with those players, they identify with the city as much as they do with Anfield. The affection goes beyond the pitch. Alonso is very much in the same vein. He still come’s back during the winter break to watch the club. We saw him keeping tabs on the FA Cup final score last year whilst at training with Madrid. He identifies himself as much with us, as we do with him.

Perhaps I’ve done Xabi a disservice in this piece by not waxing lyrical about his individual greatness as much as I might have. I’ve glossed over the FA Cup win of 2006, and therefore Xabi’s 2 goals against Luton, one from his own half, with his left foot. Until now I neglected to mention that he repeated the feat, against Newcastle. There was a ‘keeper to beat that time.

I could have written endlessly about the man’s ability to read the game, see patterns of player before they occurred. How devastating that was when allied with an innate ability to strike the ball as sweetly as anyone I've seen wear the shirt. Be it shooting, passing short or long. Alonso’s technique was unsurpassed.

But you can watch a youtube video and see those things for yourself.

Alonso, to me, defines a great time in my support of this fine club. He personifies an approach I identify with. The calmness, the assuredness, the quiet confidence. Alonso could be a flash player if he wanted, he could have sat in midfield and ping balls around for 90mins whether it was right to do so or not, posing to admire his work as he went along. He had the talent. But he didn’t.

Alonso is the epitome of a player that makes the team he plays in greater than the sum of its parts.

And that’s why I’ve written about his role at the club over his time here. He was party to a movement. An invaluable part of a team played some incredible football and achieved some astonishing things.

It was fun to support Liverpool in his time here. We had the best midfield in the world. We were the most feared team in Europe. Xabi was there through all of it.

He mightn’t have been the ‘star’ that Torres was, the cult icon of Kuyt or the unabated genius that is Gerrard.

But like all the best things in life, they didn’t half miss him when he was gone.

We all did.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2012, 02:13:43 pm by Cpt_Reina »

royhendo

Re: My Favourite Player #14 - Xabi Alonso
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2012, 12:53:49 pm »
Fantastic stuff mate, thank you. :)

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2012, 02:12:15 pm »
Belter.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2012, 02:47:04 pm »
Good stuff, Cpt Reina.

I was present for what I feel was Xabi's "real" debut, away at Fulham. Two nil down, and Rafa decided to replace Diao with Xabi at half time, a changing of the Houllier guard if ever there was one. I was enraptured with the guy. He stood on the pitch, shoulders back and basically said, right hombres, that ball is now mine and I will be dictating the tempo of this game from now on. Forty five minutes later, 4 2 to the Pool and Diao wondering what other clubs might want him. Doubly delicious as I watched the game with a Fulham supporting mate, and as we walked away from the Cottage, I kept elbowing him and saying, "not too Xabi - eh? Geddit? Eh?"

Good times....

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2012, 02:58:07 pm »
Absolute belter that!

It's no coincidence that whenever one of those old (never been done before) polls pop up on RAWK asking which former Liverpool player you'd love to re-sign from the Premiership era, Xabi is always, without fail, leading the poll.

Summed it up perfectly when you say you don't realise just how much you'd miss him until he was gone, but boy do we miss Xabi.

We had the best midfield in the world...   :'(

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2012, 07:54:43 pm »
You reminded me of why we miss him.
Yep.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2012, 08:25:32 pm »

Summed it up perfectly when you say you don't realise just how much you'd miss him until he was gone, but boy do we miss Xabi.

We did, I think. We had a great big inkling of the hole he'd leave in midfield. Perhaps not quite so much appreciation of the hole he'd leave in the dressing room. Great piece. Seeing as three of you picked my favourite players I'm delighted you're doing a better job than I would in eulogising them.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 4, 2012, 09:45:49 pm »
Great memories of his time here. Thanks.

Absolute belter that!

It's no coincidence that whenever one of those old (never been done before) polls pop up on RAWK asking which former Liverpool player you'd love to re-sign from the Premiership era, Xabi is always, without fail, leading the poll.

He's such an easy player to like as well. Elegant on the pitch, aesthetically pleasing and amazingly effective at the same time. Glad to have seen him play for us.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 08:24:58 pm »
One of my most memorable goals seen at Anfield scored by him. First home game of 2005-2006 season against Sunderland. A belter of a free kick from 25-30 yards out. It's one of those you can play in your mind again and again and again.

He's had plenty of others too. He's probably the best passer I've ever seen up close and personal too!

Great write up for a great player  :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 08:50:54 pm »
Excellent, well in Captain.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 11:47:54 pm »
one of the few people to span admiration of the old and young fan. Simply enjoy the write up on a properly and truly missed player.
Yep.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 01:01:56 am »
A great read. Thank you.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 01:08:20 am »
Great write up mate.  :thumbup

Love Xabi hope he comes back maybe in the summer.  :D

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 01:17:54 am »
Great read, mate. Well done.

Offline FestiveCheer

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 01:50:14 am »
I fell in love during the Fulham away - Sept 04?
Was it 2-0 down - Diao off and Xabi on, then we won 4-2?
I was still up from partying the night before so my memory is a bit shabby, but I can remember seeing a player of the ilk that I hadn't see play for us since Molby.
In my day dreams that is how I would love to be able to play and conduct myself as a footballer.
Shame about the reports of the Mourinho influence turning him into a snide, rather than the gent he was in red.
Thanks for your time Xabi. x

Offline Drippy Dick

• probably due to the tumble tossing
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 01:55:09 am »
I remember that game well myself Corky. It stands out in me mind for some reason. I think it was our first come from behind win in a long time. I was for some reason a combination of shocked yet believing at 3-2. Dunno how to describe it. Was just shocked when Igor got the 4th. I think it was him anyway
I live my life for the stars that shine

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 02:48:37 am »
Excellent stuff. My favourite Liverpool player of the past decade. Class personified. The type of player who even when playing "poorly" on an individual level, made the entire collective tick and work better.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 03:13:17 am »
What a player. No one plays those instep long balls like he does.

And if there ever was a pass that was too good to be reached, here's one in this video at 1:33

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xA57Hlkl1ZI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xA57Hlkl1ZI</a>

Offline edmundljs

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird upon my chest, JUSTICE!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 03:20:28 am »
Brought tears to my eyes....  :'(

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 03:22:33 am »
too many 'hollywood' balls for my liking  ::)

he was too good
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:27:00 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 04:05:08 am »
Some idiot in the Allen thread is comparing Allen to him.  Should take a look at that video.  If any one in our squad has the potential to be like him, it's Suso...shudder, hate calling players the next _______ these days.  So sick of it.

Offline lastbaron

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 04:10:34 am »
I might be one of the few to not be impressed by Alonso for quite a long time. Perhaps i thought he was too slow and too quiet, and being 15 years old i did not have the experience to appreciate his qualities.Perhaps i did not realise that football was changing and Alonso was the definition of the modern midfielder.Anyway. it was around then when i was asked by my team to play as a defensive midfielder, and soon i realised that the first thing about that position is not running around or marking or tackling. The most important quality for a defensive midfielder (imo) is his tactical awareness, his ability to read the game and take the right position and make the right decision each and every time. And Alonso might be the most accomplished "game reader" i have seen.
His positioning , the way he dictated the tempo the empty spaces he covered in our defence ,his killer balls,everything he did was well thought and brilliantly executed. He was the brain of the team, his presence gave confidence to the other players. His professionalism and commitment to hard work should be an example for all footballers to follow.  I wish i was exaggerating but as many have pointed out, his departure made us appreciate him even more.
 Also, for the above reasons i think that if he wishes to, he might become a very good manager (plus he's worked under Benitez and Mourinho).

Offline ReeNah

• Kopite
  • I bleed RED!
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 07:02:16 am »
He was so good for us... We were so good with him there...
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 07:04:45 am »
The player I have enjoyed watching more than any other in recent times. Great series as ever, impossible for me to pick a favourite, because I'm not the same person I was 10/15 years ago. They are all great in their way.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 07:33:38 am »
Aah.. Xabi.

How can you not miss him, eh? Absolute brilliant player.

Thank you.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Thelma Viaduct

• cunty chops
  • Kemlynite
  • Love many trust a few always paddle your own canoe
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 07:38:50 am »
Fucking class, when Xabi went the wheels fell off.
You're probably whittier, have trendier trainers and are a much better fan than me.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 08:30:55 am »
That pass against Sunderland was amazing.

I also remember a killer pass to win the game in stoppage time against Southampton I believe.

Beautiful player both on and off the pitch.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 08:35:14 am »
Arguably, the best in the series so far.

I know it's not the done thing to refer to *that other* match, but one of the only memories of Athens I've not mentally repressed, was when Kaka, the world's best player at the time, left Riise looking clueless with a drag-back turn of exquisite technique and timing. It was especially memorable as about 10 seconds later, us having quickly regained possession, Xabi received a short pass, facing our goal, and proceeded to repeat that very same manoeuvre on Kaka himself, who was about to pounce, and launching a counter-attack from deep in the process. It wasn't so much the skill, equal if not better than the Brazilian, but the sheer fucking audacity. It was Xabi saying "yeah, anything you can do, I can do better". Allied to Mascherano, I don't think I've ever seen a greater midfield partnership in all my time watching Liverpool over the last 30+ years.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:36:59 am by Mincepieandanicedrysherrypersiempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 08:42:19 am »
In the last decade how many foreign players have joined a club in the PL and slotted in as easy, avaricious for success like a parking display machine is for coins. And in Xabi's case time wasn't ticking from when he joined, he sat and matured professionally as his value to the club increased.

What's endearing about the character of the man, respected by all fans and peers, is that he still loves the club and looks out for our results even though he currently occupy's a stage perhaps greater than ours. This is indicative of how our club can build lifetime relationships with its players irrespective of where they are from and how successful they become.

In truth I probably wasn't his biggest fan outside of his first and last years at the club, but the goals and assists he produced are memorable, he was a genius on the ball with a technical gift un-possessed by many that have passed through our dressing room.

And how the the girls loved him too, I remember Killer_Heels seemingly unable to cope when he left.

He has contributed massively to the status of this club just with a couple of his many goals.

If only he hadn't broken his foot what would have been that season.

Offline moveslikeagger5

• Main Stander
  • We've got the moves like agger
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 09:10:32 am »
Alonso is the epitome of a player that makes the team he plays in greater than the sum of its parts.

Sums it up for me. How often do his type come by in a club's history? We enjoyed a real high when he was with us, the second he left we went on what some would call a downward spiral. People talk about how failure to replace him cost the club dearly, but how do you replace a player like xabi? He will always be sorely missed, and until he hangs up his boots i daresay everyone connected to LFC will be holding out in hope of the day he returns home. I know i am. YNWA xabi, a real legend.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 09:45:21 am »

I know it's not the done thing to refer to *that other* match, but one of the only memories of Athens I've not mentally repressed, was when Kaka, the world's best player at the time, left Riise looking clueless with a drag-back turn of exquisite technique and timing. It was especially memorable as about 10 seconds later, us having quickly regained possession, Xabi received a short pass, facing our goal, and proceeded to repeat that very same manoeuvre on Kaka himself, who was about to pounce, and launching a counter-attack from deep in the process. It wasn't so much the skill, equal if not better than the Brazilian, but the sheer fucking audacity. It was Xabi saying "yeah, anything you can do, I can do better". Allied to Mascherano, I don't think I've ever seen a greater midfield partnership in all my time watching Liverpool over the last 30+ years.

Thank for you for confirming I didnt imagine that moment as I havent been able to bring myself to watch the game again.

Someone called him a Rolls-Royce of a footballer and I dont think theres a better way to describe him, he is class personified.

Im at work and dont have access to Youtube, but if someone got a minute, take a look at the goal Arbeloa scored in his first season in Madrid and the pass Xabi gives him. I know it wasnt while he was playing for us but it was probably one of the best passes you will ever see
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:48:27 am by west_london_red »
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 09:49:24 am »

I know it's not the done thing to refer to *that other* match, but one of the only memories of Athens I've not mentally repressed, was when Kaka, the world's best player at the time, left Riise looking clueless with a drag-back turn of exquisite technique and timing. It was especially memorable as about 10 seconds later, us having quickly regained possession, Xabi received a short pass, facing our goal, and proceeded to repeat that very same manoeuvre on Kaka himself, who was about to pounce, and launching a counter-attack from deep in the process. It wasn't so much the skill, equal if not better than the Brazilian, but the sheer f*cking audacity. It was Xabi saying "yeah, anything you can do, I can do better". Allied to Mascherano, I don't think I've ever seen a greater midfield partnership in all my time watching Liverpool over the last 30+ years.

Pretty sure I've read that paragraph before somewhere. Still great times.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline markthescouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 10:04:24 am »
Top class player and bloke. I've watched a couple of times a video of all his touches against Real Madrid in the 4-0 match but haven't been able to find it of late. If anyone has that video and could post a link I would be really grateful, as would everyone else who gets to see it again I'm sure. Oh and that move on Kaka sounds quality too.

Offline mysterio_86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 10:21:25 am »
Least fav of Spainish amigo's, BBC's lover boy
Sebastion Coates, Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Samed Yesil, SinclairSama, Smichael Ngoo, Sryan McLaughlin, Sjordan Ibe, - The S Law

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 10:23:27 am »
Top player, top lad, top read. Miss him.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline Coley_DP

• Main Stander
  • Armchair fan extraordinaire
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 10:28:18 am »
He's my favourite Liverpool player of the last 10/15 years.  He's the reason I always pick #14 out of the kit bag when attempting to play myself.  Great vision and understated skill.  Top bloke as well. 

Offline paulred71

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 10:28:30 am »
If u take a quarterback out of the team then the offence can't play. When Alonso left Liverpool the team didn't play. He was our QB who ran the game.  Him alongside Mascherano with Gerrard were the perfect blend. Those 3 would rip this current midfield apart.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 10:34:33 am »
If u take a quarterback out of the team then the offence can't play. When Alonso left Liverpool the team didn't play. He was our QB who ran the game.  Him alongside Mascherano with Gerrard were the perfect blend. Those 3 would rip this current midfield apart.

Those 3 would rip apart just about any midfield in the game, past or present to be fair to our current midfield. When we sang we had the best midfield in the world, we werent lieing!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 10:35:10 am »
Least fav of Spainish amigo's, BBC's lover boy

That's a fabulous post. It's great how these Favourite Player threads really get people thinking.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 10:52:25 am »
There'll always be a sense of 'what might have been' with Xabi at Liverpool. I never saw the dip in form that some people claimed to have seen - just an injury-hit season where he was slowly getting back to his best. And you didn't have to be Einstein to work out that he was Liverpool's most important player. So 'what might have been'? An improved contract and the vice-captaincy. That's what I was hoping for after Athens. Instead of which....

Anyway, lovely write-up on a brilliant player. Privileged to have seen him in Red.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.