Author Topic: Squash  (Read 11554 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Squash
« on: August 1, 2004, 04:24:18 pm »
Does anyone play it?

I've just started to get into it. I play the rules that are on the wall at the gym, first to nine, only score on your serve etc, which is the rules I've always known, but I think when I saw it on telly there was a different scoring system. Does anyone know it?

Also, the different colour dots etc on balls, what do they represent?

It's a cracking game isn't it! :wave
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Redders

• Wish mine was wood
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Squash
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2004, 04:27:10 pm »
Pro - double yellow dot
Competition -single yellow dot (for club players and/or cool courts)
Progress (for intermediate players)
Beginner - blue color and slightly oversized

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2004, 04:31:48 pm »
Does anyone play it?

I've just started to get into it. I play the rules that are on the wall at the gym, first to nine, only score on your serve etc, which is the rules I've always known, but I think when I saw it on telly there was a different scoring system. Does anyone know it?

You can play a version of the game where the point is won regardless of who serves. Not sure whether they would ever use that in proper competitions or not.

The spots indicate the size and weight of the ball. A one spot ball bounces more than a two spot

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2004, 04:37:36 pm »
Pro - double yellow dot
Kinell - I'm a pro already then! ;D
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2004, 04:38:30 pm »
Apple and blackcurrant  :lickin

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2004, 05:02:07 pm »

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2004, 05:04:58 pm »
Is that the best you can do Roger? ::)

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2004, 05:07:00 pm »
Is that the best you can do Roger? ::)

:wave

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2004, 05:11:10 pm »
Great improvement ::)

;D :wave

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2004, 05:11:47 pm »
Squash is for middle aged, over weight businessmen, and for people who cant play footie.   :P

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2004, 05:13:59 pm »
I'm 25 years old, 11 stone wet through, I don't think you'd call me a business man but the other category I do fit into! :wave

I actually started playing to get fitter for the footy season.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 1, 2004, 05:22:59 pm »
Fuck me....you'll be on the post match G&T's soon lad, and driving a fuckin Almera.

;D

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2004, 05:24:29 pm »
Fuck me....you'll be on the post match G&T's soon lad, and driving a fuckin Almera.

;D
Fuckoff ;D

Offline Redders

• Wish mine was wood
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 1, 2004, 05:35:36 pm »

I don't like the look of that purple one. :o ;D

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #14 on: August 1, 2004, 06:06:25 pm »
Used to play squash, but i'm now a overweight middle aged business man.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 1, 2004, 06:08:13 pm »
Used to play squash, but i'm now a overweight middle aged business man.

Ideal time to take it back up Jon....

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #16 on: August 1, 2004, 06:10:29 pm »
Got to wait till i get to middle aged.

Actually, i'd start again if i was fit enough, as it's a tiring game even when fit.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Fitz.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: August 1, 2004, 09:59:22 pm »
Does anyone play it?

i love it mate, the scoring system you are referring to is "American scoring" and this is when you win a point even if you aren't serving, and it is played up to 15.

personally prefer the other system known as "English scoring".

keeps you fit and is very enjoyable. i've been playin for 5 years now,

and i'm only a 16 year old student  ;D    :wave

Pheeny

« Reply #18 on: August 1, 2004, 10:54:28 pm »
I used to play it when I was in the RAF but don't know anyone here who plays so not had a game since '92  :'(

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 1, 2004, 11:21:02 pm »
Played squash a number of years ago, with a proper squash player my brother in law.

He twatted me left right and centre, I didn't know the rules.

Had a bevvy afterwards and this middle class yuppie says "how did you get on to him" he said he won very comfortably he says with a big grin on his face. Smug smiles all around as the two arse lickers revel in their middle class upbringing.

I just said " Yes, that was my first and last game of Squash, I enjoyed it but why did you have to cheat to beat me." "You have just destroyed any thoughts I had of playing this regulary"

Both of them looked red faced and said nothing?

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 1, 2004, 11:28:03 pm »
american scoring = can score points of either serve can be played to 15 points
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 12:26:15 pm »
I've been playing squash for about three years or so now and I must say, I was always under the impression that it was a non-contact sport. If that's the case, i'm doing something wrong.

I now boast an impressive collection of welts and ball-shaped bruises. From a distance I could be mistaken for a gangly, hairless dalmation. To add to those come two permanent scars. One on my chin and - as of last weekend - another dead centre of my top lip. Both as a result of a racket to the face. Suddenly I resemble a gangly, hairless dalmation with facial features baring a slight resemblence to Sam Dingle from Emmerdale.

It's not all one-way traffic though. My usual playing partner has taken his fair share of beatings as well, most notably a corker of a black eye a couple of months ago, which left him spark out on the floor for a minute or two.

Now, either i'm standing way to close to my opponent or this whole 'non-contact' speil is a load of horse shit.

Great game though. Much, much more enjoyable than busting your arse on a treadmill or the like for an hour, despite the wounds.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 12:40:24 pm »
I've been playing squash for about three years or so now and I must say, I was always under the impression that it was a non-contact sport. If that's the case, i'm doing something wrong.

I now boast an impressive collection of welts and ball-shaped bruises. From a distance I could be mistaken for a gangly, hairless dalmation. To add to those come two permanent scars. One on my chin and - as of last weekend - another dead centre of my top lip. Both as a result of a racket to the face. Suddenly I resemble a gangly, hairless dalmation with facial features baring a slight resemblence to Sam Dingle from Emmerdale.

It's not all one-way traffic though. My usual playing partner has taken his fair share of beatings as well, most notably a corker of a black eye a couple of months ago, which left him spark out on the floor for a minute or two.

Now, either i'm standing way to close to my opponent or this whole 'non-contact' speil is a load of horse shit.

Great game though. Much, much more enjoyable than busting your arse on a treadmill or the like for an hour, despite the wounds.

Are you playing shots when your opponent is stood directly in front of you?

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 12:49:53 pm »
Sounds like one of you is playing shot when he shouldnt, and it should be a stroke. Brilliant game squash, and great for fitness. Can burn up to 1000 cals an hour if you have a tough game with someone who knows how to play.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 12:58:10 pm »
Are you playing shots when your opponent is stood directly in front of you?

No, if he's stood blocking the line of my intended shot then I refuse the shot and we play a let - assuming he couldn't reasonably have been expected to get out of the way. That's the general rule anyway, although there has been occasions where both of us have taken the shot almost as a reaction and caught the other. It's accidental if it happens anyway.

The injuries that i've had have come from standing slightly behind my opponent (just over their shoulder), trying to maintain a central position, and finding myself getting a good whack with his follow through. That's what happened both times. It's certainly made me a bit more wary of getting too close now, to the point where I don't feel i'm in a great position but I don't fancy getting anywhere close to their swing-range.

Brilliant game squash, and great for fitness. Can burn up to 1000 cals an hour if you have a tough game with someone who knows how to play.

I comepletely agree. Love it. I started playing originally for fitness and nothing else, but I can't get enough of it now. If you find someone at roughly the same level as yourself (or even slightly better) it's absolutely draining as a workout. I played with one of the sales guys from work a few weeks ago and he's quite handy. Certainly better, or at least different in style, than my usual partner, and we both practially crawled out of the court after 45 minutes. His actual words were:

"I think i'm gonna be sick...".
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:03:54 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 01:15:22 pm »
Bit of a coincidence. I am going for my first game in about a year tonight.

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Some people believe in Jesus I believe in Ian Rush
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 01:23:49 pm »
Used to play squash. Now I play raquetball, Longer rallies even more knackering.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” – Bill Shankly

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 01:37:48 pm »
I am going for my first game in about a year tonight.

Prepare to feel like you've taken a double barrel in both arse cheeks  :wave

Used to play squash. Now I play raquetball, Longer rallies even more knackering.

What's the difference between the two?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:40:39 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Some people believe in Jesus I believe in Ian Rush
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 01:40:26 pm »
What's the difference between the two? Smaller court or something?
Court is bigger (although we play on a squash court as there aren't many courts in the UK). Bigger bouncer ball and the raquet is like a stubby tennis raquet.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” – Bill Shankly

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 01:54:37 pm »
Think I remember reading somewhere that squash is two players chasing a ball around a court whereas raquetball has the ball chasing the players!

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 11:47:01 pm »
Been playing squash on and off for about two years. Very fun in the long rallies, however I need to work on my power. Tactically and positionally I'm pretty good but I don't have enough power to kill off or make it harder for whoever I'm facing.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:29 am »
Prepare to feel like you've taken a double barrel in both arse cheeks  :wave

Ha yeah feels like you have been doing heavy squats doesnt it!
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 12:54:44 am »
Squash is fucking epic. Used to play a couple of times a week, now play lucky if I get in a game a month. The point above about playing with someone of an equal level to you is spot on. I ended up dropping over two stone in two months just playing from scratch with my mate and going 2-3 times a week.

One thing I never got though - I could play an hour and a half of squash at a decent intensity without feeling too bad. 3 minutes of jogging however and I like I'm dying. 'Sup with that?
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline ThepepeReina

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 01:45:55 am »
Squash is a small area and its very stop start, giving your heart rate time to come down. Constant jogging, depending on the pace, doesnt. Dont get me wrong though, play squash with someone who knows what they are doing and have you sprinting all over the court is exhausting. Depends on the intensity of the game.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 09:00:31 am »
One thing I never got though - I could play an hour and a half of squash at a decent intensity without feeling too bad. 3 minutes of jogging however and I like I'm dying. 'Sup with that?

I'm exactly the same as that. I can play squash to a decent level for an hour or two, no problem at all. If I try and go out for a run though, 5-10 minutes and i'm struggling.

Like Thepepereina says though, it's a different kind of fitness. Easily as good for you, just a different kind of stamina required.

Had a game last night and no injuries, although I was still wary of getting too close to my opponent. Just thought "fuck it" and conceded the point a couple of times rather than risk running across him and taking another crack to the chin.

That said, we usually play sets of five (first to) for a pint a set. He owes me 26 as things stand, so happy days all round.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:15:37 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline Demandred

• Do not forsake me oh my darlin
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'll be waiting, with a gun & a pack of sandwiches
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 03:20:15 pm »
No, if he's stood blocking the line of my intended shot then I refuse the shot and we play a let

That in the rules? Genuinely never knew that. When I play with my mate if either of us are in the way the other tries to kill them with a single blow then claims the point, we must be hateful buggers!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 03:38:07 pm »
That in the rules? Genuinely never knew that. When I play with my mate if either of us are in the way the other tries to kill them with a single blow then claims the point, we must be hateful buggers!

I think generally a 'let' is at the discretion of the players and in our case, it's just something that we agreed on from when we first started playing.

Having a look at the rules though:

(a) A let may be allowed: 
(i) If the striker refrains from hitting the ball owing to a reasonable fear of injuring the opponent.

http://www.englandsquashandracketball.com/play-squash-and-racketball/rules-of-play/squash
Twitter | Blog

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 04:08:30 pm »
Squash is for middle aged, over weight businessmen, and for people who cant play footie.   :P

Haha, my bro played county squash and footy for Villa at the same time when he was younger.  :P

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #38 on: May 9, 2013, 12:18:49 pm »
Any hints on good racquets?  Just looking at getting back into this with a mate...he's on a bit of fitness drive and I'm missing my sports seeing as I don't have my regular 5-a-side session anymore.  As such, I expect we'll both stick with it as a regular thing and so looking for simply the cheapest on the market isn't necessary.

Don't want to spend anything unreasonable, though - any suggestions would be welcomed :wave

Pheeny

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 08:41:15 am »
I used to play it when I was in the RAF but don't know anyone here who plays so not had a game since '92  :'(
Daughter in law has asked me for a game.All I/we need now is some rackets etc and for me to try and remember the rules...