The Liverpool FC Forum > The Boozer

Holidays 2023 - What's your plans?

<< < (149/166) > >>

redgriffin73:

--- Quote from: bryanod on September 20, 2023, 11:16:41 am ---If never been to either, Rome. History is just amazing, the food and wine fantastic and small enough to walk around get lost in.

--- End quote ---

Also potentially better weather than Amsterdam in Sept/Oct.

gazzam1963:

--- Quote from: bryanod on September 20, 2023, 11:16:41 am ---If never been to either, Rome. History is just amazing, the food and wine fantastic and small enough to walk around get lost in.

--- End quote ---

A deeper set of pockets is required though an expensive place

TheRedBaron:
I'm off to Bilbao next week. Anyone have any places to go/things to do? I've already booked the Guggenheim museum.

Riquende:

--- Quote from: NarutoReds on September 20, 2023, 10:07:59 am ---- In the same time, elliptical amphitheatre of Colosseum of Rome is intriguing for me too. Would love to see it with own bare eyes.  :D

--- End quote ---

Even as a huge ancient history buff, I didn't hate Rome, but I didn't love it either. If your main attraction for going there is Roman things, then there are better preserved ruins elsewhere - the Empire was quite a big place after all! Maybe the other bits aren't as famous, but they're less touristy and maybe cheaper to visit.

For example, for years I've been meaning to go to the games in Nimes, south of France - A still-standing and functional amphitheathre putting on Gladiator shows and more:

https://www.france-voyage.com/events/roman-days-nimes-173.htm

I heard about it the year before Covid and have been playing catchup with my holiday plans since!

Lastrador:

--- Quote from: CheshireDave on September 20, 2023, 11:13:46 am ---I am off to Croatia for 5 nights in a few weeks. I am staying in Trogir. I really want to get out and about and perhaps visit an island or another town/city.

--- End quote ---
Oh, that's great mate. Trogir was one of the places we were considering for a day's trip from Split. The historical center looked gorgeous, but a little similar to Zadar, so we decided to skip it. It is tiny though, so I think you will find time to move around quite a bit.

Trogir is 30 minutes away from Split, so you have to go there, for a day at least. From Split, you can also take a ferry to the four major islands (Brac, Hvar, Vis, and Korcula). We heard great things from all four, so I don't think there is a bad choice there. Although it might depend if you're not planning on going to the beaches.

We stayed two nights in Hvar Town and loved it. There was kind of a party vibe going on when we went there (late August), but not nearly as bad as led to believe. The town itself is small but gorgeous with some great beaches nearby, and a great view from the Spanish fortress. So pretty ideal for a day's trip.

From Trogir, you're going to be about 2 hours from Plitvice Lakes National Park. If you like nature, definitely don't miss that. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Krka National Park is a similar but closer alternative, although much smaller.

--- Quote from: CheshireDave on September 20, 2023, 11:13:46 am ---Just wondered if you only had 5 nights which places would you visit?

--- End quote ---
Tough question, but from what I've seen, probably Dubrovnik. The historical center is not very big, and you can probably check it out in half a day, but it really is a gorgeous city that I just loved walking around, especially at night. Compared to Split, which gets pretty ugly once you leave the more touristic places, Dubrovnik City remains enchanting, even in the most modern areas.

There are some very nice beaches, that are relatively easy to get to, and lots of activities in and around the city. Like walking around the city walls and the fort. Going up Mount Srd. A trip to Lokrum Island. Kayaking in the bay. You're also pretty close to both Bosnia and Montenegro, so you can do day trips to cities like Mostar or Kotor. So yeah, I don't think you would get too bored if you spent 5 days there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version