Author Topic: 00s Movies Draft - Sign up and Discussion  (Read 8987 times)

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
Re: 00s Movies Draft - Sign up and Discussion
« Reply #120 on: September 8, 2022, 02:47:17 pm »
Sorry for the delay fellas. I had sent my picks to Lobo, but guess he wasn’t around.

I can't believe that lasted as long as it did - for a minute I thought it might actually fall to me. Great pick.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #121 on: September 8, 2022, 03:05:51 pm »
I can't believe that lasted as long as it did - for a minute I thought it might actually fall to me. Great pick.
Cheers fella.

Surprisingly, it could have if Lobo had made my picks. :D Had a change of heart this morning and had to go with The Tenenbaums.

I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan, and this is my second favourite of his, and my first for a long long time. Hilarious and touching in equal measures. It's Visually, it's probably one of his more subdued movies, but the writing and the performances in this film are just amazing. Gene Hackman steals the show though, he's just amazing as the royal  prick Royal Tenenbaum.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: September 8, 2022, 03:08:21 pm »
Cheers fella.

Surprisingly, it could have if Lobo had made my picks. :D Had a change of heart this morning and had to go with The Tenenbaums.

I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan, and this is my second favourite of his, and my first for a long long time. Hilarious and touching in equal measures. It's Visually, it's probably one of his more subdued movies, but the writing and the performances in this film are just amazing. Gene Hackman steals the show though, he's just amazing as the royal  prick Royal Tenenbaum.

I love all of that, but the biggest thing to me is the influence of the Glass family stories by J.D. Salinger. Those stories are completely unfilmable, but they were clearly a huge influence on Anderson. Between that and everything of his own that he brings to the table, it's just a spectacular film.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #123 on: September 8, 2022, 03:08:40 pm »
I'll be honest, I tried about four times to work out who's go it was and failed and thought we were still on the way up rather than on the way back down :boxhead

I have Hazells picks.... :D
Getting old, aren't you?  ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #124 on: September 8, 2022, 03:20:34 pm »
Ok, so I know I’m not winning anyway so gone for some dumb fun. And John C Reilly is a God.

It’s the fucking Catalina wine mixer!

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 8, 2022, 03:23:47 pm »
Ok, so I know I’m not winning anyway so gone for some dumb fun. And John C Reilly is a God.

It’s the fucking Catalina wine mixer!

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #126 on: September 8, 2022, 03:25:17 pm »
I love all of that, but the biggest thing to me is the influence of the Glass family stories by J.D. Salinger. Those stories are completely unfilmable, but they were clearly a huge influence on Anderson. Between that and everything of his own that he brings to the table, it's just a spectacular film.
Oh, I didn't know about that. Anderson usually gets inspiration from those kinds of uncinematic places, see the French Dispatch, and he's very talented at translating it to the screen. Just read the plot of Franny and Zooey and the similarities are apparent. Will have to give those stories a read.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #127 on: September 8, 2022, 03:27:56 pm »
I gotta have me more boats 'n' hoes
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #128 on: September 8, 2022, 03:57:39 pm »
Updated the selections, if I miss something (especially on the quotas) let me know. It seems like the 00s wasn't a big decade for blockbusters, but the small indie and foreign quotas are getting filled nicely.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 8, 2022, 04:09:07 pm »
Voting in this one is going to be a douche. Everyone is killing it so far.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #130 on: September 8, 2022, 04:09:07 pm »
Fuck off with that Kung Fu Hustle pick.  God damnit.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 8, 2022, 04:19:11 pm »
Fuck off with that Kung Fu Hustle pick.  God damnit.

Tell everyone who hasn't seen it how great it is.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #132 on: September 8, 2022, 05:01:42 pm »
I had to think long and hard between Lost and Translation and Royal Tenenbaums, it's a great choice. Maybe a bit controversial but I think it's also the only top notch Wes Anderson film of the decade. Looking back at the selections, have to LOL@Irreversible coming under the Romance category.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2022, 05:04:33 pm by Sheer Magnetism »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #133 on: September 8, 2022, 05:31:41 pm »
I had to think long and hard between Lost and Translation and Royal Tenenbaums, it's a great choice. Maybe a bit controversial but I think it's also the only top notch Wes Anderson film of the decade. Looking back at the selections, have to LOL@Irreversible coming under the Romance category.
There’s not a Wes Anderson movie I haven’t liked. That being said, and without trying to name drop, I think there’s objectively one other movie from this decade that could get that distinction. It was my number one choice in another category but The Tenenbaums was my favourite of the two, so went with that.

Yeah, chuckled at that Irreversible cat. when updating the selections, but to be honest the more the movie progresses (or regresses?) the more romantic it gets.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #134 on: September 8, 2022, 05:35:15 pm »
Not a huge Nolan fan, but Memento is definitely a great movie and my favourite of his. Great pick Betts.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 8, 2022, 05:56:05 pm »
There’s not a Wes Anderson movie I haven’t liked. That being said, and without trying to name drop, I think there’s objectively one other movie from this decade that could get that distinction. It was my number one choice in another category but The Tenenbaums was my favourite of the two, so went with that.
I know the one you mean - it isn't one of the worst but it always felt to me like one of the 'quirk-first' offenders of that time period. Looks great, sounds great but not much underneath in terms of plot or characterisation.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 8, 2022, 06:01:33 pm »
I waited too long. Sigh. :(

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #137 on: September 8, 2022, 06:15:02 pm »
Not a huge Nolan fan, but Memento is definitely a great movie and my favourite of his. Great pick Betts.

Same, mate. Memento is the only film of his I absolute love. Though as a comic book fan, I do also enjoy The Dark Knight - mainly for Heath Ledger.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 8, 2022, 07:05:24 pm »
Dammit, was really hoping Paprika would still be there when it came back to me. Fantastic movie.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 8, 2022, 07:09:38 pm »
Lads, suspend the draft for a day is correct procedure right?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 8, 2022, 07:15:09 pm »

Fuck off  ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 8, 2022, 07:16:48 pm »
I think she’d have wanted the draft to continue, out of respect
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #142 on: September 8, 2022, 07:18:20 pm »

Was going to pick The Queen earlier as a mark of respect. Think it’s the right decade?!

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 8, 2022, 07:18:27 pm »
Thanks Lobo, on what is surely a momentous day, one where I got a film that I really really wanted.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 8, 2022, 07:19:38 pm »
A public holiday and draft continuing on full pelt will do for me.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 8, 2022, 07:37:09 pm »
It's going to take me some time to get over this. The loss of a beloved film.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #146 on: September 8, 2022, 08:10:37 pm »
Sorry for delay. On it now
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #147 on: September 8, 2022, 08:24:34 pm »
Up is great. That opening scene. Lovely stuff.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: September 8, 2022, 08:25:07 pm »
Lovely?! It’s traumatising!

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 8, 2022, 08:25:26 pm »
Updated the selections, if I miss something (especially on the quotas) let me know. It seems like the 00s wasn't a big decade for blockbusters, but the small indie and foreign quotas are getting filled nicely.

Las, what we saying about A.I.? Wiki saying it's budget was $90-100 million

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #150 on: September 8, 2022, 08:39:04 pm »
Las, what we saying about A.I.? Wiki saying it's budget was $90-100 million
Box Office Mojo has it at 100m., so it's good mate.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #151 on: September 8, 2022, 08:41:26 pm »
Lovely?! It’s traumatising!

Should have put that as a new paragraph. Meant the film in general.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 8, 2022, 09:03:47 pm »
Cheers fella.

Damn you, that was my next pick, it's first Wes Anderson film I saw along with Rushmore, my favourite of his. Anderson gets accused of being cold but I never got that and this is probably his most emotional film, this despite Royal being, as you say, a massive prick (that scene at the end with Chas and Royal gets me). Though I think visually it's just as striking as his others, the clothes the characters wear, the house, and just how everything is delicately and deliberately placed. Killer soundtrack as well. By the way what's your favourite Wes Anderson film, presumably it's from this particular decade seeing as you didn't mention it?

Thinking about it, this decade probably has more of my favourite films more than any other - The Royal Tenenbaums, Let The Right One In, Where The Wild Things Are, In The Loop, Children of Men, Battle Royale are easily those I adore the most, not to mention other great films like Paprika, In Bruges, Inglorious Basterds, The Dark Knight and a few others that haven't been picked yet.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 8, 2022, 09:47:43 pm »
Should I go, or wait a while?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 8, 2022, 09:48:32 pm »
Mongoose never had you down for a Royalist.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 8, 2022, 09:50:34 pm »
Mongoose never had you down for a Royalist.

I'm not waiting for the resurrection of Her Royal Bigness - just trying to be nice to your man Betty.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 8, 2022, 09:52:31 pm »
Box Office Mojo has it at 100m., so it's good mate.

Sound. Thanks, Las

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 8, 2022, 09:52:36 pm »
 ;D

Oh, fuck him then.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 8, 2022, 10:15:38 pm »
Always knew Muller was a elitist and now a Royalist. First the Tennis and now picking a Bond film.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 8, 2022, 10:18:17 pm »
Always knew Muller was a elitist and now a Royalist. First the Tennis and now picking a Bond film.

I dedicate my last pick to our queen RIP.