Poll

The incoming Tory Tax Cuts..

Brilliant! With everyone struggling at the moment, a few hundred quid would be most welcome
Maybe a small one, but money should be spent on failing public services
I am an egg and I like cheese and fluffy squirrels called Bob. Bob the Fluffy squirrel is my fave babes.
There shouldn't be a tax cut when public services are already so broken. Keep spending what we are
Far more investment is needed in this country. Spend the money where it's needed now and fuck this stupid Austerity shite.

Author Topic: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES  (Read 1309984 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: Conservatives: wholly-owned subsidiary of the ERG and 55 Tufton Street
« Reply #15560 on: October 3, 2022, 08:20:38 am »
The scary thing is they will blame others and the media will turn on the public.

This country is on it's arse.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #15561 on: October 3, 2022, 08:29:08 am »
The scary thing is they will blame others and the media will turn on the public.

This country is on it's arse.

They already are

Dismissing it as a 'distraction'

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15562 on: October 3, 2022, 08:33:27 am »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #15563 on: October 3, 2022, 08:38:22 am »
Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng has announced a U-turn on the plan to cut the top rate of income tax.

Mr Kwarteng said in a statement: "From supporting British business to lowering the tax burden for the lowest paid, our Growth Plan sets out a new approach to build a more prosperous economy.

"However, it is clear that the abolition of the 45p tax rate has become a distraction from our overriding mission to tackle the challenges facing our country.

"As a result, I'm announcing we are not proceeding with the abolition of the 45p tax rate.

"We get it, and we have listened. This will allow us to focus on delivering the major parts of our growth package." (SKY NEWS).

Another classic Tory U-Turn confirmed. I wonder how this will play out in the polls or has the trust firmly gone?

Well the markets appear to think no one has a clue whats going on.

FTSE opened about 1% down. My bank is down 1.75%

The cuts while horrible and leaving a bitter taste in the mouth aren't actually too far away from what "the city" would like to see. The issue was the timing and the lack of transparency on how it's funded.

The latest drop shows that have less faith in this Government because of this sudden U turn

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15564 on: October 3, 2022, 08:42:33 am »
And they need to do the same of banker bonuses.

DO they really think these bankers spend as much per pound extra they earn in our economy? Compared to giving someone more money to buy food?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #15565 on: October 3, 2022, 08:43:10 am »
He was born in Liverpool too!   How out of touch are they

I saw an interview with Kit Malthouse (another Scouser too apparently) yesterday with Nick Robinson, they said there’s more Scouse Tory MPs than there are Labour MPs but am assuming they don’t represent Liverpool seats.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15566 on: October 3, 2022, 09:01:29 am »
Tory caricature in full effect here

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2022/10/03/tory-mp-jake-berry-says-people-should-get-better-jobs/

The irony being that if public sector workers pay had kept up with inflation they wouldn't be struggling now.

Or that those who are striking to try and get that extra money wouldn't need to be striking.

Oh the joys of living in their ivory towers.

Do these people ever talk to actual people?  Those who do all the shitty jobs for minimum wage that keep the country going in times of crisis.

God I hope there is a National Strike soon.  A total walk out of everything and a march down to Downing Street seeing as they're determined to turn the clocks back by a Century 😡

Offline Escorcio

• Kopite
« Reply #15567 on: October 3, 2022, 09:01:51 am »
Well the markets appear to think no one has a clue whats going on.

FTSE opened about 1% down. My bank is down 1.75%

The cuts while horrible and leaving a bitter taste in the mouth aren't actually too far away from what "the city" would like to see. The issue was the timing and the lack of transparency on how it's funded.

The latest drop shows that have less faith in this Government because of this sudden U turn

The pound has risen and therefore many FTSE 100 companies that have profits denominated in USD (including your bank), will have fallen

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #15568 on: October 3, 2022, 09:09:48 am »
liz truss has continued with her policy of not being scared of making unpopular decisions by announcing she's going to continue as leader
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #15569 on: October 3, 2022, 09:09:56 am »
I saw an interview with Kit Malthouse (another Scouser too apparently) yesterday with Nick Robinson, they said there’s more Scouse Tory MPs than there are Labour MPs but am assuming they don’t represent Liverpool seats.

I think the problem with Tory MPs from Liverpool (or Tories from Liverpool in general) is that they have the zeal of the convert, and feel they need to prove themselves as True Blue given the city´s reputation. Perfect when you need people to start spouting inane ideologically pure shite.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15570 on: October 3, 2022, 09:12:23 am »
So the lady is for turning apparently. Reversing course on the 45p tax cut.

Worst Thatcher tribute act ever.

It's getting to the point now, where it's easier to name a major policy that she hasn't flip flopped on.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #15571 on: October 3, 2022, 09:13:02 am »
liz truss has continued with her policy of not being scared of making unpopular decisions by announcing she's going to continue as leader
:D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #15572 on: October 3, 2022, 09:15:24 am »

;D

Truss continuing as leader, is a popular policy with the Labour party, as the longer she stays Tory leader the more & more it guarantees Labour a landslide victory. ;D
#Sausages

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #15573 on: October 3, 2022, 09:15:51 am »
Thanks folks for all the advice. I definitely will try and avoid politics with the brother in law, but he does like to bring it up. Knowing far more tories voted for the war than labour is a nice thing to have tucked up the sleeve.  Most of the other nonsense he spouts can be calmly refuted too..  He's a lost cause, but I don't want to let the bile spread. First they came for...
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15574 on: October 3, 2022, 09:17:18 am »

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2022/10/03/tory-mp-jake-berry-says-people-should-get-better-jobs/

That's the 21st century version of Norman Tebbit's "Get on your bike!" speech.  :butt
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15575 on: October 3, 2022, 09:18:39 am »
Spend the entire holiday blasting 'Things Can Only Get Better' at maximum volume.

ha ha   ;D

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15576 on: October 3, 2022, 09:24:47 am »
Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng has announced a U-turn on the plan to cut the top rate of income tax.

Mr Kwarteng said in a statement: "From supporting British business to lowering the tax burden for the lowest paid, our Growth Plan sets out a new approach to build a more prosperous economy.

"However, it is clear that the abolition of the 45p tax rate has become a distraction from our overriding mission to tackle the challenges facing our country.

"As a result, I'm announcing we are not proceeding with the abolition of the 45p tax rate.

"We get it, and we have listened. This will allow us to focus on delivering the major parts of our growth package." (SKY NEWS).

Another classic Tory U-Turn confirmed. I wonder how this will play out in the polls or has the trust firmly gone?
The member of their staff wrote the lines for this press release must have been pissed up at conference. Or digging into Kwasi's leftovers from the funeral eight ball. It reads like shite.

Also, referring to tax bands and cuts as mere distractions and media effects, rather than something that affects lives? But then claiming that they 'get it'? Riiiight

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15577 on: October 3, 2022, 09:32:29 am »

Idiotic man.  'Minister without Portfolio' in the most useless government in history sums up his abilities.

The country cannot function without *somebody* doing all those lowly paid jobs that he's advocating people should leave behind.  That's also making the wild assumption that there's enough higher paid jobs for everyone to move up into.

As for cutting consumption, I'm intrigued what part he has in mind.  Rent?  Utilities?  Food?  Clothing?  Shoes?  Council tax? God forbid anyone working as a carer, for example, should indulge themselves with the smallest of treats at any point in their lifetimes.

If that is the Tory approach to getting through the next six months then a General Strike can't come soon enough.  We'll soon find out who people rely on more; the minimum wage employees or Ministers without Portfolio.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15578 on: October 3, 2022, 09:40:59 am »
How real is the prospect of a general strike though?

Popcorn's Art

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #15579 on: October 3, 2022, 09:48:41 am »
Fingers x.
My wife has just signed the unison pledge for the NHS and with it saying yes if strike ballot papers are sent out late October. First time ever she could be on strike. Not an easy decision but she said enough is enough.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15580 on: October 3, 2022, 09:49:12 am »
I think it depends on three things:
- How bad it gets over the winter.  The energy price cap mitigates to a point but that's only really protecting middle income and above households.  The rate rises may not get passed on to the most vulnerable (renters) for some time, depending on contracts and how scummy the landlords are.
- How organised people are.  It may be a problem as getting the message out and getting coordinated will be very difficult.
- How accustomed a lot people have become to being treated like shit and just accepting of it.

I don't think it will happen.  It's more likely to happen in France from what I've been told even though they're much better protected than we are.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15581 on: October 3, 2022, 10:32:25 am »
After announcing he’d fucked everything up - Kwarteng slipped through the news of £18bn real terms cuts in public spending.

Ironically less than a third of the money lost by his fuck up last week. Sociopathic thick little c*nt.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15582 on: October 3, 2022, 10:34:41 am »
The problem is in this country, everyone is up to their eyeballs in debt.   Mainly mortgages, then car loans and leases, credit cards etc.    they are petrified of losing their job so won’t strike.    It used to be religion that controlled people now it’s debt and money.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15583 on: October 3, 2022, 10:34:44 am »

Depends how many people they piss off.

It feels like people have been making sacrifices for a few years now, covid lockdown, brexit disruptions, I think they don't want to take any more shit, and the government now moving towards sweeping austerity measures, while buttering their rich friends, may well be the last straw.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15584 on: October 3, 2022, 10:36:21 am »
The problem is in this country, everyone is up to their eyeballs in debt.   Mainly mortgages, then car loans and leases, credit cards etc.    they are petrified of losing their job so won’t strike.    It used to be religion that controlled people now it’s debt and money.

What right o buy was all about.

People in secure council housing run by a Labour controlled council who won't want to evict anyone, will feel secure enough to strike,

When you have a massive mortgage? Not so much.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15585 on: October 3, 2022, 10:37:17 am »
Idiotic man.  'Minister without Portfolio' in the most useless government in history sums up his abilities.

The country cannot function without *somebody* doing all those lowly paid jobs that he's advocating people should leave behind.  That's also making the wild assumption that there's enough higher paid jobs for everyone to move up into.

As for cutting consumption, I'm intrigued what part he has in mind.  Rent?  Utilities?  Food?  Clothing?  Shoes?  Council tax? God forbid anyone working as a carer, for example, should indulge themselves with the smallest of treats at any point in their lifetimes.

If that is the Tory approach to getting through the next six months then a General Strike can't come soon enough.  We'll soon find out who people rely on more; the minimum wage employees or Ministers without Portfolio.

"Minister without a portfolio" should not be allowed. How the fuck can you give someone a highly-paid (public money) job without a job description?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15586 on: October 3, 2022, 10:39:11 am »

People in secure council housing run by a Labour controlled council who won't want to evict anyone, will feel secure enough to strike,

Exactly,   Hate thatcher but she was good at what she did.  Put people in their place

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15587 on: October 3, 2022, 10:57:46 am »

The housing bubble needs to be burst once and for all its. We spend so much money on buying and renting that it’s sucks the demand away from everything else in the economy. Just think if we all spent half as much on housing how much we could spend on retail, entertainment etc etc and how much economic activity it would spur elsewhere.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #15588 on: October 3, 2022, 10:59:24 am »
I see they are throwing others under the bus now

What a terrible pair of c*nts
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15589 on: October 3, 2022, 11:00:58 am »
The housing bubble needs to be burst once and for all its. We spend so much money on buying and renting that it’s sucks the demand away from everything else in the economy. Just think if we all spent half as much on housing how much we could spend on retail, entertainment etc etc and how much economic activity it would spur elsewhere.

Yeah I've had this discussion on here before. People complain about food prrices in this country, when in fact we have some of the cheapest food prices in the developed world. The issue is not food prices, it's the lack of disposable income people have due to spending so much housing.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #15590 on: October 3, 2022, 11:01:37 am »

The housing bubble is insane round my way.

Houses doubling in price in ten years. Our house would command 1.6k in rent (I only know as same house in Close round corner up for rent) and it makes me sick. It’s just under double what we pay for a mortgage.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #15591 on: October 3, 2022, 11:01:51 am »
Wasn't their mantra after Brexit that standards wouldn't be lowered?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-worker-rights-brexit-b2191134.html

Workers will be stripped of rights in firms with fewer than 500 staff, under Liz Truss’s plans to exploit Brexit to create a more “dynamic” economy.

A shock move to lift the threshold for businesses exempt from regulations from 50 to 500 workers – and possibly 1,000 employees – has raised the alarm over a bonfire of protections.

Crucially, a review – to be led by business secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg – will include all EU “retained law” which the prime minister has already vowed to replace by the end of 2023.

The protections from decades of EU membership include limits on working time, holiday pay and parental leave, protections for agency workers and from discrimination for equal pay for work of equal value.

It is understood that, where an EU regulation exempts small businesses, this would now be handed to companies employing fewer than 500 staff – instead of just 50.

Revealing the move at the Conservative party conference, the Treasury chief secretary Chris Philp called it a “critically important” part of supply-side reforms to kickstart the economy.

“We are going to be reducing business regulation – Jacob Rees-Mogg has a whole load of ideas to do that,” he said.

“One of which is making sure that no business under 500 employees gets subject to business regulation – another critically important move.”

Earlier, Ms Truss, in a newspaper article, claimed the plan would combat Britain’s “lack of dynamism” and “release an additional 40,000 firms from red tape”.

But Jonathan Reynolds, Labour’s shadow business secretary, said: “Are the Conservatives really saying they don’t believe in basic product standards? Or food safety? Or employment law?

“Businesses themselves know this is not the way to growth and a prosperous economy. British business rightly takes pride in our high standards.”

Christine Jardine, the Lib Dem Cabinet Office spokesperson, said: “This government seems hellbent on ripping up workers’ rights and environmental protections.

Steve Peers, professor of EU Law at the University of Essex, warned the move could also backfire by triggering sanctions from Brussels for a breach of the Brexit trade agreement.

“This would arguably be grounds for trade retaliation by the EU under the Brexit deal, due to breach of the standstill on lowering labour and environmental standards,” he warned.

The government is scrambling to devise reforms – on planning, immigration, finance, childcare, infrastructure development and elsewhere – to convince the markets it has a proper Growth Plan.

Ms Truss wrote: “Change is always something that people might find worrying. But what I’m fundamentally saying is we do have to change, the status quo isn’t an option.”

The granting of exemptions to firms with under 500 workers – from Monday – reads: “The changed threshold will apply to all new regulations under development as well as those under current and future review, including retained EU laws”.
Believer

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15592 on: October 3, 2022, 11:05:11 am »
Thanks for the replies.  :)

I guess my main worry is something like that will take awhile to organise, so the Tories will see it coming a mile away and have time to plan a counter - probably some combination of legislation, the police, and riot gear.

My guess would be more a case of unions coordinating strikes in a rolling overlap fashion, so that there's  always something or several somethings at once to keep it in the news and keep the government off balance.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15593 on: October 3, 2022, 11:06:00 am »
Super-rich people can get away without the 45p top tax rate anyway, it's not the Tories listening to the people, it's more that this policy isn't really needed, those who'd benefit already having armies of accountants to avoid paying tax anyway.

Plus it makes everyone look bad, the Tories are meant to pay vague lip service to the idea that they're not just a vehicle to rob the poor and pay the rich but Truss & Kwarteng made it a bit too obvious, embarrassing everyone (and torpedoing their chances of staying in office where they'd be more useful in helping the rich to stay wealthy).

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #15594 on: October 3, 2022, 11:12:52 am »
What is a general strike? All unionised labour? Ie pretty much nobody in the private sector?
Though arguably it'd take longer for strikes by the private sector to impact the general public.  The essential services are in the public sector.  Though would send a huge message to the govnt if everyone walked out.
As said above , too few can risk missing mortgage payments to do this. It's only when the ax is really falling and people will be missing those payment anyway will we see mass strike action.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15595 on: October 3, 2022, 11:37:01 am »
What is the aim of the strike?
Not much point in Arriva drivers etc taking part in a National strike over wages when they have just settled.
We all want this government gone but calling for a National strike to demand a GE would be a massive mistake the Torys would jump on.
A series of one day general protest strikes to show support for the NHS + attack on workers rights is justified. no idea how a all out general strike can be justified as it would be seen as a political strike to bring down the government.

It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #15596 on: October 3, 2022, 12:45:46 pm »
And they need to do the same of banker bonuses.

DO they really think these bankers spend as much per pound extra they earn in our economy? Compared to giving someone more money to buy food?

Banker bonuses aren't a matter of public money being given to bankers, they are just regulations to control how bank employees compensation has to be structured from banks.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #15597 on: October 3, 2022, 12:49:31 pm »
The pound has risen and therefore many FTSE 100 companies that have profits denominated in USD (including your bank), will have fallen

But the same thing happened when the pound was weak against the dollar.

Either way it's clear this government doesn't have a great handle on what they are doing which is what is making the markets jumpy

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15598 on: October 3, 2022, 01:04:32 pm »
Wasn't their mantra after Brexit that standards wouldn't be lowered?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-worker-rights-brexit-b2191134.html

If we’re a government in waiting then we need to start acting like it, set the expectation now and make it very clear Labour will revere these changes by Jan 2025 as an actual government would do when it announces a change in legislation.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15599 on: October 3, 2022, 01:37:15 pm »
Gordon Brown seems like a juggernaut of a heavyweight compared to these schoolboy Economists in Parliament now