Author Topic: Advice Request for First Time Visiting Anfield & Liverpool  (Read 1554 times)

Offline MassRed

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Advice Request for First Time Visiting Anfield & Liverpool
« on: December 2, 2021, 02:24:10 pm »
Hello all, I am so excited (and anxious if I'm being honest, given recent global COVID developments) to attend my first ever match at Anfield - and to visit Liverpool - in the coming weeks!

I searched the forum and, surprisingly, could not find this topic discussed, so apologies if I have overlooked it - what advice do you have for a first-time visitor to Anfield and Liverpool? I'm looking for more specific and different advice than arriving to the stadium early, going to the Albert or Sandon pre-match, etc. - I already plan to do these things.

Some questions I have (that I have not been able to find answers to online) are:

1) How early before kickoff does Anfield open?

2) Are paper tickets accepted (the individual who I'm buying tickets from plans to email them to me)? With the advent of NFC/mobile app ticketing, I want to confirm that having a paper ticket printed from an email will not be problematic for entry at the gate.

3) Are there any other LFC-related things to check out in Liverpool besides the match and stadium tour (which I have scheduled)?

Thank you for your advice!

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
Re: Advice Request for First Time Visiting Anfield & Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: December 2, 2021, 02:31:45 pm »
The paper ticket sounds potentially problematic to me, I'm sure somebody else could confirm if they are accepted in any cases but as far as I've been aware we've completely switched over to NFC on the phones. The NFC tickets can be distributed via email which could be what they mean maybe?

Offline scouser102002

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 2, 2021, 02:32:01 pm »
The ticket is not a paper ticket. The email will contain a link to download it to your phone

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 2, 2021, 02:54:16 pm »
Agree with the above about your ticket, it'll be emailed but then you download the NFC pass.

The ground opens 2 hours before kick off, I think, they send out an email before the game with anything you might need to know. One thing that I will mention because I was almost denied entry myself on the weekend, bags, if possible don't even bother. I had a small bag with me and the steward wouldn't let me in with it unless it contained medication. I don't know if they've been told to be tougher or what, but just bare it in mind as I've had no problem in other games this season with the same bag!

LFC things to see, dunno, there's murals dotted about. You can't really go to the training ground now, well you could go to Melwood but I don't know what kind of state it's in or if there's much to see. You can't really get anywhere near anything at Kirkby. Unless anyone knows if people are allowed in to the academy for the kids games?

Offline scouser102002

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 2, 2021, 03:05:25 pm »
And there was a guy in front of me with a backpack on his back at weekend. As always, depends who you get

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 2, 2021, 03:17:14 pm »
And there was a guy in front of me with a backpack on his back at weekend. As always, depends who you get

Probably, I did see people with bigger bags than mine when I eventually got in which was irritating but what can you do. It's not much bigger than a cross body type bag but she was adamant it wasn't going in. Luckily for me I don't live that far and it was early enough for it to not be a massive deal.

Offline anitrella

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: December 3, 2021, 10:44:13 am »
Probably, I did see people with bigger bags than mine when I eventually got in which was irritating but what can you do. It's not much bigger than a cross body type bag but she was adamant it wasn't going in. Luckily for me I don't live that far and it was early enough for it to not be a massive deal.

Definitely a case of who you get at the turnstile, I took an A5 sized cross body bag into Porto, the steward just wrapped a ‘bag searched’ tag around it, but actually failed to search it  :butt

Offline Kls89

• Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: December 5, 2021, 10:06:53 pm »
The rule for bags now is they must be a5 or smaller, and contain either medication or hygiene products.

They do allow club shop bags in as long as they contain merchandise.

Offline MassRed

• Boys Pen
« Reply #8 on: December 6, 2021, 11:24:51 am »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone :)

The bag restrictions seem harsh, I was hoping my wife could at least bring her purse and I could put some small but bulky items like an eyeglass case in there.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #9 on: December 6, 2021, 11:56:58 am »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone :)

The bag restrictions seem harsh, I was hoping my wife could at least bring her purse and I could put some small but bulky items like an eyeglass case in there.

If it's a smallish handbag or shoulder bag, tell her to stick a Tampax in the top of her bag that's visible when they check it and you'll be fine! ;)
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #10 on: December 6, 2021, 04:33:28 pm »
If it's a smallish handbag or shoulder bag, tell her to stick a Tampax in the top of her bag that's visible when they check it and you'll be fine! ;)

This - or some medical supplies - I just put some paracetamol in mine - told them I suffer from migraines.

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #11 on: December 9, 2021, 06:20:43 pm »
Other LFC related apart from stadium - well, as Claire above has already said, there are lots of brilliant LFC related murals/street art around - most around Anfield, but some in the city centre and the Baltic Triangle area not far from the centre. Here's a couple of links with more detail about them...

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/08/liverpool-fcs-wall-mural-street-art-and-where-to-find-them/

https://www.visitliverpool.com/blog/read/2021/01/liverpool-street-art-b369

Also, if you're interested in paying your respects to the 97, there's the Hillsborough Memorial at Anfield of course - and a beautiful tribute it is too. There is also another tribute to the Hillsborough victims in the city centre - The Hillsborough Monument Memorial, a sculpture by Tom Murphy, which stands 7 feet tall located behind St. George's Hall, on the Old Haymarket (opposite the Birkenhead Tunnel). This, for me, is a particularly beautiful and poetic piece of art - and a very moving memorial tribute.