Author Topic: Liverpool v Porto (CL ) - Wed 24 Nov 8pm - Pre Match Thread  (Read 20449 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool v Porto (CL ) - Wed 24 Nov 8pm - Pre Match Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2021, 01:37:23 pm »
I suggest Kloppo picks a RAWK XI for this tie.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2021, 02:04:29 pm »
Thanks for the OP Stockdam, disappointed in your thoughts towards comedy great Timmy Mallet.

I think we’ll be stronger than we probably should be, given the growing injury list. Equally it doesn’t feel quite right not picking a team to win the game even though we don’t need to, but we have won that right with a great effort in this competition so far.

It’s rare we’ve been in this position and difficult to know quite how to be, I don’t like watching us play bad even if the result doesn’t matter. I can’t not care about a European game but… yep it’s just weird I know it doesn’t matter and that it won’t change anything but I still hope we win

"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2021, 02:26:58 pm »
It's really difficult to predict this. Given the volume of players out and with important league games coming up it would seem frivolous to risk key players. But last year we famously played Jota in a dead rubber against FC Midtjylland and lost him for weeks/months. I read an Athletic article suggesting the decision was financial - we obtain around £2.5m for each CL group stage game we win, versus about £750,000 for a draw. There is therefore some incentive to win these games even when they don't "matter". To put this into context, the team that wins the League Cup (the entire competition) gets £100k.

So in some ways I hope if we rest players, we really do play a full rotation. There doesn't seem to be much to be gained in taking a punt on a half-strength side - we may not win anyway, and we risk losing players to injury.

Kelleher

Neco
Konate
Phillips
Tsimikas

Ox
Morton
Beck

Cannonier
Origi
Minamino

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2021, 02:39:35 pm »
Pretty sure along with the financial aspect, he mentioned fans going to the game also and basically wanting to give them value for money.
Surely anyone going realises this game means nothing for us, and we need to manage the squad. Anyone the would be going and moaning about not fielding our best 11 needs to give their head a wobble.

I also wonder if there's some pressure from UEFA for clubs not to play really weak XI's in CL dead rubbers. We've hardly been in this position before but last season I took a look at what other teams had done in the same situation and teams don't select a team of kids. There was some rotation but virtually every team put out an XI of mainly List A players.

Now that could be because of the monetary element, not wanting to short change fans, a sense of sporting integrity. Or it could be because UEFA say you can't pick a List B team because they need the better teams to play teams that still attract a TV audience.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2021, 02:55:23 pm »
Can Susan the tea lady play up front for this one?
But honestly I do hope none of the usual first 11 gets even close to the line-up, get the usual u18 kids on the pitch.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2021, 03:42:52 pm »
I also wonder if there's some pressure from UEFA for clubs not to play really weak XI's in CL dead rubbers. We've hardly been in this position before but last season I took a look at what other teams had done in the same situation and teams don't select a team of kids. There was some rotation but virtually every team put out an XI of mainly List A players.

Now that could be because of the monetary element, not wanting to short change fans, a sense of sporting integrity. Or it could be because UEFA say you can't pick a List B team because they need the better teams to play teams that still attract a TV audience.

Probably worth pointing out that whilst it’s a dead rubber game for us it certainly isn’t for Porto (or Atletico) and for that reason I think the scrutiny would be more intense were we to field a really weak side than had we done so in the final group game last season which truly was a dead rubber for both clubs.

As much as I hate Atletico and it would be funny if we fielded a B team and lost, I’m not sure that Klopp will allow that to happen for the reasons I’ve just said. Perhaps we’ll see a strongish team on Wednesday and a weaker side vs Milan which may well be meaningless for both sides depending on how Wednesday goes.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2021, 03:45:43 pm »
Probably worth pointing out that whilst it’s a dead rubber game for us it certainly isn’t for Porto (or Atletico) and for that reason I think the scrutiny would be more intense were we to field a really weak side than had we done so in the final group game last season which truly was a dead rubber for both clubs.

As much as I hate Atletico and it would be funny if we fielded a B team and lost, I’m not sure that Klopp will allow that to happen for the reasons I’ve just said. Perhaps we’ll see a strongish team on Wednesday and a weaker side vs Milan which may well be meaningless for both sides depending on how Wednesday goes.

They can't really moan about it as we've earned the right to put out whatever side we see fit. They had the same opportunity to earn this right but failed.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2021, 03:54:28 pm »
Don't think we'll rotate anywhere near as people think. Can't see the genuine academy boys like Beck and Bradley playing.

Neco was only a tight muscle and Origi was ill so hopefully they'll both be available. Sounded like Milner and Keita weren't far off so maybe they can take one half each. With 5 subs allowed I'd imagine we might have a couple of preplanned subs. Fabinho and Henderson getting 45min each as the 6, Mane/Jota 45mins each on the left, etc.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2021, 03:54:31 pm »
I don't think Morton's registered for the CL based on some chat above, so ox for him maybe?

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/7889--liverpool/squad/

Squad is there and Morton is on it. It's Gordon that isn't registered but might have started.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2021, 04:01:51 pm »
They can't really moan about it as we've earned the right to put out whatever side we see fit. They had the same opportunity to earn this right but failed.

I don’t think it’s so much about them moaning about it, I’m just not convinced Klopp would do it as I think he’d expect Atletico to give it a go under the same circumstances (although knowing Simeone they probably wouldn’t).

We’ll see, I could be wrong of course I just think it’s a huge game for qualification from the group and for that reason I think we’ll keep ourselves honest at least, the other thing is Porto are bang up for it so I can’t see him ping too weak as it’s not going to do anyone’s development any favours if we get battered.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2021, 04:14:55 pm »

Squad is there and Morton is on it. It's Gordon that isn't registered but might have started.

Morton and Gordon. Nice to know our future starting XI will incorporate what sounds like a solicitors office.

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2021, 04:57:57 pm »
I think we will put out a strong enough team and imagine Mo will play at least the first half, a home European night against Porto - he'll want a piece of that.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2021, 04:58:54 pm »
The 5 subs helps us massively if Klopp does want to put out a strong(ish) team.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2021, 05:35:57 pm »
Don't think we'll rotate anywhere near as people think. Can't see the genuine academy boys like Beck and Bradley playing.

Neco was only a tight muscle and Origi was ill so hopefully they'll both be available. Sounded like Milner and Keita weren't far off so maybe they can take one half each. With 5 subs allowed I'd imagine we might have a couple of preplanned subs. Fabinho and Henderson getting 45min each as the 6, Mane/Jota 45mins each on the left, etc.

I don't see why they shouldn't to be honest. It's obviously not going to be a league cup team but there's no reason why a couple of youngsters can't come in alongside Morton, because we're playing at home to a team who were absolutely rubbish in the first game. When you put them alongside more senior members of the team too it makes the transition easier for the younger ones. Good incentive as well to play well here and get a run out in Milan.

The ones who 'need minutes' (Minamino, Origi, Konate and Phillips etc) should all be certain starters, but beyond those, there's not much of a selection unless you can bring a few youngsters into the fold.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2021, 06:23:53 pm »
Porto are bang up for it so I can’t see him ping too weak as it’s not going to do anyone’s development any favours if we get battered.

yep.  Klopp won't throw a bunch of kids into a CL game - televised around the world, - at the risk of them getting embarrassed.

it'll be a mix of regulars and kids, and the 5 subs gives a good set of options.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2021, 07:53:17 pm »
Can see Mane starting this rather than Jota and Salah.

Robertson instead of Tsimikas as well.

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2021, 08:32:53 pm »
For me it’s a no brainier..we have topped the group and we have potentially 9 players out injured…play the kids and let’s not have another Jota situation all over again in a dead rubber.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2021, 09:04:33 pm »
5 subs so we will see more big names than people expect.  Keita and Milner are supposed to be near ready, I would expect them to get minutes, players need minutes, what better match?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2021, 09:20:13 pm »
Referee
Felix Zwayer (GER)

Assistant referees
Marco Achmüller (GER)
Mike Pickel (GER)

Fourth official
Sven Jablonski (GER)

Video Assistant Referee
Bastian Dankert (GER)

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Harm Osmers (GER)

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2021, 09:27:24 pm »
Felix Zwayer is a good referee, I like him. Hopefully he gets to referee our reserves.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2021, 09:27:37 pm »
Klopp recently commented on the monetary value of each match win in the CL, i wonder if this will be a consideration when picking the team.

Absolutely will. I think he made a point of saying it publicly to prepare the fans. This is where we lost Jota last season, but it's clear we will be playing for a result for the sake of the money. Just hope Klopp cop a load of flack if anything happens. I suspect he'd be happy to let the kids play this one.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2021, 09:43:03 pm »
Referee
Felix Zwayer (GER)

Assistant referees
Marco Achmüller (GER)
Mike Pickel (GER)

Fourth official
Sven Jablonski (GER)

Video Assistant Referee
Bastian Dankert (GER)

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Harm Osmers (GER)

Thank you………OP updated.
#JFT97

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2021, 09:55:08 pm »
Minutes to any first teamers who need them, the rest should get the week off.

Is my hope, not one of saturdays XI to play pleaseeeee.

Hopefully.

Kellegher, Williams, Konate, VVD, Kostas, Henderson, Naby, Ox, Minamino, Origi, Salah would be a guess though.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2021, 09:55:50 pm »
We should be rotating as much as possible. The likes of VVD, Fabinho and the front 3 shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad. We’ve earned the right to field whatever team we want after winning the group after 4 games. Don’t want another Jota type injury in these dead rubber game

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2021, 09:57:02 pm »

Exactly and if we play our B Team and Madrid go out because of it, even better.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2021, 09:59:04 pm »
Absolutely will. I think he made a point of saying it publicly to prepare the fans. This is where we lost Jota last season, but it's clear we will be playing for a result for the sake of the money. Just hope Klopp cop a load of flack if anything happens. I suspect he'd be happy to let the kids play this one.

We should play whatever kids/back ups we have….but it isn’t just the money, it’s co-efficient points
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2021, 09:59:14 pm »
Thank you………OP updated.

No worries..

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2021, 09:59:53 pm »
Looking at the group, Porto desperately need a win. Atletico will almost certainly beat AC.

They will go strong, so will be interesting to see how Jurgen sets us up.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2021, 10:01:36 pm »
We should play whatever kids/back ups we have….but it isn’t just the money, it’s co-efficient points

Klopp doesn't like losing, and neither will the 50,000 at Anfield.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2021, 10:14:37 pm »
I think he'll go fairly strong.  Hopefully Van Dijk, Fabinho and Salah get a rest though. 

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2021, 11:07:29 pm »
Must win  ;)

Seriously with the money at stake (£2.5m or so) I'm expecting Klopp to out out a half decent side here - I think there will be some big names on the bench

Not sure of their fitness level but I expect to see Hendo play 45,not sure where Robbo's at, thought I saw Jones post something recently too hinting at a comeback ??

Certain Konate / Bolton Baresi will play and Neco will play and perhaps Kelleher.

I've always preferred players to play twice per week personally for rhythm where fitness allows.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2021, 12:58:56 am »

Don’t think Tyler Morton is in the 25 player ‘A’ List but will have been added to the ‘B’ list which he qualifies for, as do any youngsters who’ve been at the club for at least 2 years. Which is why Kaide Gordon can’t play because he only signed in January and neither is he on the ‘A’ list.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2021, 01:48:19 am »
Klopp doesn't like losing, and neither will the 50,000 at Anfield.
He will probably go fairly strong. I just pray that there is no repeat of the Jota against Midtjylland dead rubber scenario...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2021, 02:55:41 am »

We need to consider premier league points as well by keeping our players fresh where possible

Klopp has spoken passionately and intelligently about the amount of football top players play, if after all his pleas he plays his top players unnecessarily, or for the potential benefit of 1 or 2 million pounds, then people will be entitled to dismiss what he says about player workloads and "meaningless international football friendlies" that are held because they potentially generate 1 or 2 million pounds

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2021, 03:27:00 am »
We will obviously shuffle the pack. How much remains to be seen, as we weight 2.4M with managing injuries with not wanting to make anything worse for players we depend on.

I want Liverpool to win every game we play, goes without saying. But if Porto should happen to get a result, and if that happens to make Atletico and Simeone sweat, I could live with that.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2021, 04:19:10 am »
Don’t think Tyler Morton is in the 25 player ‘A’ List but will have been added to the ‘B’ list which he qualifies for, as do any youngsters who’ve been at the club for at least 2 years. Which is why Kaide Gordon can’t play because he only signed in January and neither is he on the ‘A’ list.
He has be on the A list. Him and Elliott don't qualify for the B list bc they haven't been at Liverpool for 2 years in a row irc is the rules for it . If Elliott is fit for Round of 16 plus expect him on A list.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2021, 04:21:25 am »
I expect a team good enough to win or be drawing after 60ish where you can put on your impact players to win the game out. Fans want to see a Win at home and there is enough money on the line to where it can buy the next Harvey Elliott or Kaide Gordon. Also Help the Coeffect for being draws in the future and the number of teams in the England in the CL.

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2021, 04:37:25 am »
Clubs resubmit and can change their lists after the January transfer window shuts.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2021, 05:12:06 am »
Clubs resubmit and can change their lists after the January transfer window shuts.
Up to two players can be added to the A list (keeping max 25) after the group stage.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2021, 05:54:50 am »
We will obviously shuffle the pack. How much remains to be seen, as we weight 2.4M with managing injuries with not wanting to make anything worse for players we depend on.

I want Liverpool to win every game we play, goes without saying. But if Porto should happen to get a result, and if that happens to make Atletico and Simeone sweat, I could live with that.
We can put out a whole new backline, it's when we get to midfield that is looking a bit sparse. I'd expect Divock, Minamino and possibly Ox up front.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close